Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there anything more pathetic....

Poster: A snowHead
....than freestyle skiing?

Sorry but it just doesn't ring right for me. After watching freesports on C4 this morning I thought about it again as its clearly gaining in popularity. I mean these are just snowboard wanabies, right? They have the look, the attitude yet there is still something unnatural, like women's football and boxing. It's just not right. Even during the Olympics with the ski halfpipe and skicross it seems that snowboarding is what secretly skiers wish they were but they must 'keep face!'

I'm not having a dig here I just want to understand it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got to disagree. There is the whole Newschoolers tall tees and face bandana stuff that's a bit risible to us relative wrinklies but the talent in freestyle skiing is huge - at the top end the guys go way bigger than snowboarders.

Skicross is more exciting than snowboard cross due to speeds attainable (& the Olympic course wasn't a good example due to temp conditions). Plus some of the top freestyle guys are the most talented all round skiers in the world e.g. Candide Thovex stepping into the FWT and winning, Jon Olsson training towards the Swedish alpine team for 2014.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gainz, there are three goats about to cross your bridge.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hyweljenkins wrote:
Gainz, there are three goats about to cross your bridge.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't we all just, get along..?

A bit sterioticpical, kinda like to "skiers are boring, borders are douchebags" point of view I have encountered at times.

I'm a skier soon to learn boarding. I have equal respect for the skill of both, but my preference differs in certain situations. For instance, Im not a huge fan of off-piste skiing but think off-piste boarding looks awesome and is my main reason for wanting to learn. I have very little desire to watch the half-pipe in either discipline. Boarder / ski cross I like watching both.

Then is comes to the slopes and I would MUCH rather ski... I think. So in summary... swings and roundabouts

Clear as mud!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The 90s called, they want their attitude back
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gainz, even if it were sad - which it isn't - except when they go all "urban" - Ski Ballet was hugely sadder.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm I can remember what would now be called "Freestyle" skiing going on way back in the mid to late 70's long before snowboards became popular, with tricks such as "Daffy Ducks" and "360's" Oh and backwards skiing in the days long before twintips
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gainz, YOUR ATTITUDE?

You may not get it but it has had a huge impact on your skiing unless you are still skiing on big straithg 80's skis and which would match your attitude.

The culture that surrounds it is very individual and Woodsy that was featured on C4 this morning is an amazing athlete who works incredibly hard and represents British skiing by actually winning and finishing in the top 5 at most of the stuff he competes in, including winning the Saas Ride in 2008 and the European Slopestyle champion 2010

The snowbard comparison is lame and lazy but hey you are entitled to your opinion, but next time I suggest you do a little more research before forming one. Freesking has formed from ski balet to hotdogging to what it is now and the its foudations where laid long before snowbarding exsisted.

Most of the athletes are welcoming and warm which makes a pleasent change from the snobbery and arrogant attitude of some of the racer set. If you witneesed what whent on in Chill Factore for the Grom games recently you would understand why it is getting more popular and what it is really about.

It is about hte freedom to use the whole mountain on one pair of skis and hanging with your friends and having fun. Which to me is what skiing is all about good friends and fun
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski biking is the only way to get your ride on

word
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As D G Orf says, freestyle skiing goes back way before snowboards were invented (back before the war in some cases) - it is basically just the best skiers skiing and having fun, rather than the silly (but considerate to other skiers) little identical linked turns, farming a slope, you usually see with off piste skiers. Basically you are dissing most skiing videos. (Mind you, it depends how restricively you are using the term - there is really no division between normal free skiing and free-style skiing)

It is a bit like a couple of young snowboarders who stopped near me off piste 15 or so years ago when I was waiting for my friend. One said to the other: "There are so many skiers off piste now: basically they are all here because of us". Little prick. I'd been skiing off piste before he was born. And my father had been skiing off piste when there weren't any pistes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball wrote:

It is a bit like a couple of young snowboarders who stopped near me off piste 15 or so years ago when I was waiting for my friend. One said to the other: "There are so many skiers off piste now: basically they are all here because of us". Little prick. I'd been skiing off piste before he was born. And my father had been skiing off piste when there weren't any pistes.

Ah but he also has a bit of a point, perhaps not 15 years ago but certainly more recently. There are lots more people skiing at a hgher level off piste due to equipment advances which must in part be due to snowboarding. A snowboarder can basically be riding equivalent lines off piste as soon as they can ride a red or black piste e.g. after 1 week's experience or so. I'd be willing to bet that you could put an athletic beginner on rockered fat skis and get him or her skiing offpiste powder within a few weeks with the right tuition (& progression through equipment).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got onto semi-fats about 8 years ago, I suppose. Never actually skied a full-fat (I really ought to give it a try). My Missions are my first skis with a carving type profile so I'm coming to that rather late too. Yes, you have a point about more recently - but it happened more than 15 years ago - perhaps 17 or 18 at a guess.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JESUS. CHRIST. I don't trust myself to put a sensible reply down to this thread.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually I do think freestyle is a bit lame (apart from moguls, that's the schizz), but that's mainly due tot he fact that I like to go the mountains to get away from human/taming/civilisation schizzle (this also includes pistes). However, freestyle skiing (to me, anyway) is much cooler and better to watch than boarding. Same rotations, same grabs, but the crossed skis look ace. Apparently (some) boarders want their niche back though...

To answer the original question though, yes, there is something more pathetic - trying to start some sort of old school skiers vs boarders fight.
snow report
Quote:

there is still something unnatural, like women's football and boxing. It's just not right.

Does it need any answer at all?

What's more "unnatural"? Men wearing red jackets (that's not a uniform)!

And for that matter, men's diving. But that's just me. I UNDERSTAND others find it perfectly natural. And I don't really have any need to understand WHY.
ski holidays
I love freestyle skiing, partly because I am a 40 year old wanabe but also the skill level and cohones of these top guys is off the charts. Candide Thovex proved this year he is the best freerider in the World but for me I look at his freestyle career with sheer admiration and awe and it's not all about winning medals. A few years ago he did an 810 disaster probably common place now but huge at the time, basically he flew 60 foot through the air over the 'Kink' on a rail with 2 1/4 rotations landing sideways on a rail 6 inches wide perfectly. Think about that for a minute the skill, spatial awareness and balls! and also the likes of Simon Dumont flying 30 foot out of the pipe, it does look cool but it's also f@cking dangerous and will become even more so as they push the boundaries further which makes it more exciting. I was lucky enough to go on a freeski camp a couple of years ago and Fattes13,is right these top Brits are serious and work their butts off but you couldn't meet a nicer bunch and they are great fun to be around and there was a distinct lack of 'attitude'. So I would say look closer and try it and you'll learn to appreciate it.
snow report
Gainz, I dare you to go on newschoolers.com and try to find someone that agrees with you.
snow conditions
Quote:

skill level and cohones of these top guys is off the charts

Got to agree with that, also being a midlife crisis here Very Happy

Currently doing some fairly lame and low level freestyle and getting some coaching, I can tell you first hand that the skill level of some of these kids incredible. Also the balls to continually wipe out off a big kicker or fail in the pipe and get back up and try again, this stuff hurts.

Oh and sitting somewhat uncomfortably her right now having spent the weekend learning to board, I shall whisper the next bit behind my hand......I quite liked it. Toofy Grin. (promise not to post pictures of the bruises) Very Happy

I am tempted to say I smell a troll though Puzzled
ski holidays
Why have so many people taken offence?

It was a simple observation. I'm not disputing anything like which came first or who's better than who. Clarky I'm in with you on it. Moguls look great and is different as is the normal Super G downhill racing and Slalom, but freestyle and skiX. We have it on boards we don't need it on skis. Same goes for snowboard downhill, that's naf too.

I am a snowboarder if that helps Confused
snow conditions
Exclamation what you seem to be seeing as awkwardness or weirdness is actually the skiers going faster, bigger and smooover. if you stick with it you'll get used to it. i would propose getting rid of teh snowboard events and giving Shaun White a bye to compete with the skiers. could do the same with freeride but allow in Xavier de le Rue and Jeremy Jones
snow report
Arno, tbh Xavier's line on the Bec this year was better than any of the skiers.
snow report
Snowboard pipe and air comps are really really dull.
latest report
I watched the FWT at Squaw this year and judging by some of the snowboard competitors, where bum checking on a moderately steep slope seemed the norm, many average British flailers could have given it a go wink
snow report
Gainz wrote:
They have the look, the attitude yet there is still something unnatural, like women's football and boxing. It's just not right.

I'm not having a dig here but IMHO that is a rather blinkered and sexist view.

Women's football is great .....

http://gogameface.com/content/uploads/LINGERIELEAD.jpg
latest report
Gainz, So you are jealous that the boys on planks look better can go bigger and are getting more cash ah now I see
latest report
This reminds me of a funny story that took place in Wanaka last summer. An unnamed British skier had the good fortune to do some GS training with Jon Olsson, and after training one afternoon, they popped into the park in catsuits and on 190cm-long skis. Failing to recognise Jon, the abuse from a couple of local snowboarders starts flying: "take your lycra suits and get out of here you douchebags!"

Pausing next to them for a moment, at the top of the run in for the largest kicker in the park, Jon smiles at them both and wishes them a good day. Then he drops in and stomps a huge rendition of his signature kangaroo flip. The snowboarders go quiet. One is heard to mutter: "oh. Sh*t." The British athlete laughs and skis away.

Gainz, for my two cents, I'd like to add that freestyle skiing is hugely indebted to snowboarding for its influence in the early 90s. Without it, skiing could not have developed to where it is today. That said, times have changed. Skiing has taken the inspiration it learned from snowboarding and arguably progressed beyond the limits of a snowboard. With the extra stability, speeds and mountain accessibility that skis provide, top competition riders can throw down more rotations (e.g. TJ Schiller's 1620 at Winter X in January), reach more hard-to-find places, and go bigger. You don't have to look further than the fusion of big mountain and new school led by the likes of Sage Cattabriga-Alosa, or the innovative heroics of Shane McConkey's skiBASEing (that's skiing above the fall line and then base jumping off the edge) to appreciate just how far skiing has come.

As for ski cross - a subject that is very close to my heart as a ski cross athlete myself - don't get me started. Cross events in general have been around a lot longer than ski or snowboard cross, and the truth is that it transfers a whole lot better onto skis than snowboards. Ski cross is faster, the jumps are bigger, and nobody goes from 1st to 4th in an instant because they accidentally caught an edge. The men's final in Vancouver had the peak BBC audience figures of any event at the Games. So if you truly believe that freestyle skiing is 'unnatural', or 'just not right', then you're in a minority.

Apologies all for the essay... Very Happy
ski holidays
Swirly, that's why he's allowed in Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welove2ski, Awesome little story.
snow conditions
Arno, Laughing I could have finished that sentence by saying that the skiers were better to watch than all the other boarders though.
latest report
Swirly, Xav's line was awesome for sure, not sure he was better than all the skiers, just 1,000 x faster and slightly more direct.
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
Why have so many people taken offence? It was a simple observation...

Yes, you simply observed that you think freestyle skiing looks totally pathetic, why should anyone take offence at that? Laughing
latest report
sloop, well said.
snow report
Snowboarders? ... a.k.a

Gays on trays
snow report
nixmap, what a witty and original thing to say. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I was involved in the Skiers Cross at teh original Verbier Ride and being a very competent skiers through it would be a breeze. OMG how wrong I was, I have never been so scared as bumping with other skiers round some of those banked turns.
ski holidays
2 can play at that game nixmap;

skiers are queers?

wow I feel like I'm in nursery again or have I never left? Laughing
snow report
Gainz wrote:
2 can play at that game nixmap;

skiers are queers?

wow I feel like I'm in nursery again or have I never left? Laughing

Good one.

Dont try and blame me for the IQ on this thread, It was already at rock bottom.

Nix.

PS Are you from NZ or shouldn't I read too much into your nickname.
snow report
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
like women's football and boxing. It's just not right.

Come to my boxing club and tell that to one of the girls...

Professional footballers are all women anyway.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy