Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Becoming A Ski Instructor

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, lessons might (no idea) be more expensive, but instructor pay is tiny, and it's usually very hard to actually get any hours. A good guide is the more popular the resort to work at, the less the pay will be...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can be fairly big differences between resorts too, ie for an Anwarter in St Anton, assuming a full months work, you get 1300 euros ( minus 90 for accomm). In Saalbach, it's around 800 euros (inc accom). That's after tax etc btw.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-05-10 11:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges

Quote:
Mike Pow, as beanie1 said BASI L2 is quite achievable without ever having done a season, and from what I've seen/heard/read so should be CSIA II.

I've seen many good skiers fail CSIA Level 2 because they couldn't lose the bad habits they had prior to starting instructor training.

Quote:
Very interesting to hear you've been able to make a living with the II! I think that's very difficult (though by no means impossible) to achieve in Europe with a L2. Were you just doing normal in-resort beginners/learners instructing, and what were the average US$, Can$, Yen rates of pay? Did tips form a big part of your income?

At Keystone, Colorado I was instructing children of all ability levels. Unlike Europe this included off-piste instruction within the resort area boundary. US$12 per hour base. Tips came to about US$1,000 for the season. Received accommodation provided by the resort at a very reasonable rate. Basically first week of the month's pay went to rent; second for food; third for playing; fourth for saving.

In Niseko I started on JPY 1,400 per hour with more for request private lessons. Taught children and adults, but primarily advanced piste skiers looking to transition to off-piste skiing. Like the US and Canada, plenty of patrolled off-piste terrain within the resort area boundary. Made about the same in tips as I did at Keystone.

My third winter in Niseko I worked for myself. Don't need to be employed by the resort to teach on the mountain. Charged the least per hour for private instruction and was the highest paid instructor in Niseko that winter. That's not to say I made the most money. I only worked 42 days. Through choice. And played over 90.

Quote:
An unpopular view amongst instructors I know, but embarking on ski instructor training is one of the best ways I know of improving personal skiing performance.

Agree 100%. Trained for PSIA Level 3 when I was at Keystone and it transformed my skiing and teaching.

Alexandra

Quote:
As for making money, great for Mike Pow, but I know a CSIA III at Kicking Horse whose boots/gloves are more duct tape than fabric. Sad That's OK when you're 20, but this person isn't!

I guess I've been lucky or good at what I do. I'll let you decide.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, I've been told the ISIA requirement is 350 hours training for L3 - I assume that includes all the training for the levels below but I haven't worked it out.

The ISIA inspected the BASI courses taking place in Hintertux recently, I think they'll be working their way through the qualifications.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I know a CSIA III at Kicking Horse whose boots/gloves are more duct tape than fabric. Sad That's OK when you're 20, but this person isn't!

I've never got the impression that ski instructors I've met are doing more than earning a fairly modest living (though I've never been to North America where charges seem sky high in comparison to europe). The two I use mostly in our area of France work in summer as a builder and a motor cycle instructor. they're in demand and often work 6 or 7 days a week in the season but given what the ski school charges (2 hours will cost from 54 euros low season to 79 for the few peak weeks, for next season) they're hardly making a killing once the ski school get their share, and they pay tax, insurance, make pension provision, etc.

any holidays are unpaid and I guess that if they're out of action from injury it's a problem.

What is your motivation for wanting to be an instructor, rick?

i am currently training to be a driving instructor (yes i know, im prepared for the abuse) but after nearly finishing it i am questioning whether it is the correct thing to do. i actually like just helping others out in general if i can, and as i love skiing ( i would do it most weeks of the year if i could) then i wondered about ski instructor. Being sat in a car for 8 hours a day isnt my ideal job, i love being outside, preferably in the snow, and like i said, i enjoy helping out others.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, out of interest - how many hours can you get at the resorts you've taught at? For reference, I was one of the higher (highest?) priority kids instructors, and the best I could do was 30-32hrs in a 5 day week, which worked out at $1200 a month. When average rent is $500 and a pint $6, breaking even alone is pretty difficult. Is the US cost of living cheaper? My biggest issue with instructing is that it just doesn't work financially - I love it, but I finished this winter (even) poorer than I started - I have to get my CSIA3 to get on the day rate paid ski school products, when it becomes viable. Wondering if this is just a Fernie thing or is everyone's experience similar?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, I work in the US, PSIA L2, and so far I've managed to do quite well. The most I can work in a day is 7 hours of teaching and 1 hour of report, but if there's no work then I don't get paid! I work in our adult ski school doing mainly private lessons for all ages from 2 upwards and I think our kids ski school is a little different in that they clock in and out and have more set hours so probably do get more work, especially at the lower levels of certification. This season I worked 96 days, and probably averaged 4 or 5 hours of teaching a day - there were a few days when I didn't get work but that still counted as work days, and some days I was fully booked and worked all 7 days in the week, which would then give me overtime pay. Financially it works for me, but I do know that it doesn't for many others - I don't free ski much because I'm always working, and others do want to ski. Plus the way our ski school is set up means that I get work because of my ranking which is based on request privates, rather than on seniority or certification levels.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would just like to clarify now that CSIA qualified instructors can get full time work in France. You just need to get your documents from the right people. Also you need to pass the Test Technique. The Canadian 2/3 with a TT is enough to be a stagiere, yes this is not the best money. Working with ESI in Chatel I get paid 29 euros per hour. I am the lowest in the chain at the moment but next season get better priority (I hold BASI and TT), I was managing 22 hours per week at the very end of the season, the final 3 weeks (I had the qualification in December but no paperwork until March so started work in April!). Next season I am expected to work up to 48 hours (sometimes even more) during the half term and new years weeks. For a stagiere its not all that bad, and the ski school is great.

Document wise for those with CSIA you are best to get in touch with the office (DDJS) in the Isere region (based in Grenoble), they are fairly helpful. They can tell you what you need, with a 2/3 you will need a TT then you can work as a Stagiere, I am not sure on rules for the Carte Pro. I expect the Canadian 4 with the Eurotest would be enough to work independently.

Once working independently thats where the money is. My friend at 24 years old this season made almost 25,000 euros in his 5 months. Plenty of the private instructors in Chatel had all the work they wanted/needed this season at their 50 euro per hour rate. The most worked was just over 700 hours, you have to be thinking purely about money to do this though as you have no time at all for your own skiing (tends to be the older instructors who do this)

I know about the CSIA system as my sister has her L3 (she managed first time) and has taught in Japan/America/Switzerland. She would now like to work in France. So soon I should know the rule for the Carte Pro, but I do know about work as a stagiere which with the right school can be great. She will not be going for the TT but for the Eurotest. She considers the TT too hard to pass by comparison and would ideally like to be teaching outside of a ski school.

Just wondering if anybody knows if you can take L4 Canadian exams in Europe anywhere? Also if there is anyone who can provide training catering for these exams?

Ricklovesthepowder, might PM you sometime, not sure how long Im here, off for a season of DH biking soon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
beanie1 wrote:
DaveC, those are ISIA requirements, not BASI requrements. (exc. L4 which as pointed out has many fewer modules than l3). Any organistation without as least as many training hours as BASI has for L3, is not meeting the requirements to award the ISIA stamp.

The Austrian landeslehrer is MUCH simpler than BASI, and is still ISIA. Ten days training/assesment for landes 1, one week alpine course (offpiste schizzle), ten days training assesment for landes 2. Intense lectures in the evening to cover the other stuff though (same for the Anwarter).

This is all true; just keep in mind there is no 1-on-1 connection between Anwarter and Landes 1.
Most (incl me) will need a few weeks training after Anwarter before they have a chance of succes on the Landes 1 course. I plan on doing 2 weeks of training in October, then have the instructors evaluate wether i can go to Landes 1.

Landes 1 has GS on technique, Landes 2 Timed GS, but its not Eurotest.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
R555MAC, pretty sure Andorra has a fairly high CSIA contingent but not sure to what level you can train.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
R555MAC, arv, Instructor Academy, Soldeu
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC wrote:
Mike Pow, out of interest - how many hours can you get at the resorts you've taught at? For reference, I was one of the higher (highest?) priority kids instructors, and the best I could do was 30-32hrs in a 5 day week, which worked out at $1200 a month. When average rent is $500 and a pint $6, breaking even alone is pretty difficult. Is the US cost of living cheaper? My biggest issue with instructing is that it just doesn't work financially - I love it, but I finished this winter (even) poorer than I started - I have to get my CSIA3 to get on the day rate paid ski school products, when it becomes viable. Wondering if this is just a Fernie thing or is everyone's experience similar?

KEYSTONE, COLORADO

At Keystone, Colorado I worked Children's Ski School.

This meant starting at 8am to sit with the kids, help with ski fit, or shovelling & setting up the ski school area.

Lessons started at 9:30am and finished at 3:30pm, with an hour for lunch. Lunch was eaten with the class and you were paid for that hour. Lunch was free.

Most working days I volunteered to clean up the Ski School Area for an additional hour.

So every day I worked, I got 8.5hrs in @ US$12 per hour. So US$102 per day before deductions.

My monthly rent at that time was US$360, so you can see that it didn't take many days working per week to pay the bills.

I trained one day per week, every week. Made myself available to work 4 days per week ski school, and did a Saturday programme for kids from Denver.

If I was needed to work, I would work. If there wasn't a need, I would backline and go play.

Only had a couple of request privates and made around US$1,000 in tips for the season.

Had plenty of work when it was busy, and plenty of playtime when it wasn't.

Came away at the end of the season a couple of grand to the good after buying new skis and boots.

NISEKO, JAPAN

Worked for NBS in Niseko, doing children and adults lessons. But predominantly adults.

Unlike Keystone, I was only paid for time on snow.

8.30 - 10.30 Private and Request Private Lessons
10.30 - 12.30 Group Lessons
13.30 - 15.30 Group Lessons

So 6hrs a day, and during the busy period between mid-Dec and mid-Feb, on average 6 days a week. My second year I worked 6 hrs a day from 12 Dec through to 31 Jan. With base rate and request privates I could earn US$4,000 some months.

If I didn't have lessons I'd go play. Niseko has night skiing, so even with a 6-hr teaching day you could still get time to play in the pow after 15.30

My monthly rent and bills was US$600.

Last season I worked for myself. Private lessons only. By cutting out the middleman I made enough to see me through the summer without needing to work.

Income tax in Japan is 6% which makes a massive difference.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow wrote:
slikedges

Quote:
Mike Pow, as beanie1 said BASI L2 is quite achievable without ever having done a season, and from what I've seen/heard/read so should be CSIA II.

I've seen many good skiers fail CSIA Level 2 because they couldn't lose the bad habits they had prior to starting instructor training.

Agreed. Many "good" skiers fail BASI L2 for the same reason, either too stuck in their ways or insufficient experience/training to be versatile enough to deliver what's required. Nevertheless I think both are a level that many (?most) don't need to ski seasons as such to achieve though people who pass are doubtless likely to have a total experience that would amount to a season or two.

And thanks for the detailed info about your teaching experiences! Great to know what things are like outside Europe. Do you speak Japanese or were most of your clients Yanks?

R555MAC, will be very interested to hear how your sister gets on in France with CSIA L3 and Eurotest! If there's a way, I think the CSIA will be able to look forward to a flood of new members!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My pleasure.

All lessons in English.

Clients mostly from Australia, NZ, and Chinese and expats living in Hong Kong.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great thread and one I'm following with interest.

I've posted thus elsewhere but we are planning to sell up and move out there with me being an instructor and the missus carrying on her uk job remotely.

It seems that if you can keep living costs to a minimum as we are planning to do but using the equity in our house to buy outright, perhaps instructing as a career choice is more viable?

Anyway, as my wife says, 'follow your dream'.
snow conditions
Mike Pow, thanks for being so candid.

Fernie works like this - you have to show up at 8:45 in case you get a private if you're scheduled on. You get paid for the hours you spend on snow. There's a daily training session that you can go on until 9:45, and the first each week is paid (if you work). Lineup lessons go from 10-12:30 then 13:30 to 4. If you don't get work all day, you get 2 hours standby pay for being at both lineups, but supervisors have to do all they can to avoid paying standby pay. This generally boils down to getting paid 5 hours a day most days for being around and available 8:45-4pm, and a private will often take precedent over a group lesson. I did a 3 day camp, a weekend club (which was 9-4 with the kids all day, so 7hrs paid), and a day usually on privates or daycare if I could blag my way in there (that's also a full day of 7hrs and super easy). $12 an hour, rarely get tipped (recession + lots of brits?), though nearly always after privates with Canadians. Maybe made $400-500 in tips, $1000 a month paid for working 20 days a month on average, as in quiet periods it's hard to maintain 30 hours a week. We could potentially get 10% commission for requests, but actually selling to kids is almost impossible - I did alright, but between Inghams selling most of the lessons for the week on the bus and parents knowing their kid is likely in good hands in Fernie, they don't tend to mind.

Looking at my final paycheque, I made $3500 this season - admittedly missed 4-5 weeks through injury, but it's easy to see why making a living in Fernie is so difficult given I spent $2500 on rent! On the plus side, with my CSIA3 there're some day rate paid courses ($120 a day) that I could eventually get on to, which would mean vaguely respectable paycheques - but right now, I have to temper my love for the place with how little RCR actually pay...
snow report
R555MAC, Off topic, but is Stefan Renard still at ESI Chatel?
snow report
DaveC, do you have CSCF? Know a few people that race coach at the weekends and get paid very well for it. Guaranteed income too (for the duration of whatever programme).
latest report
easiski, there is still a Stephane at the school, not sure what his last name is though. I only just met the rest of the team at the end of the season really. I wasnt sure that I would be working with ESI but got very messed around by the ESF so asked Steve if he would take me on. So just met everybody right at the end of the season and dont know them all that well yet.
latest report
I suspect there's a huge difference between being a driving instructor and a ski instructor. Assuming the OP is a normally competent and experienced driver, the training to become an instructor is going to be a matter of tidying up your own bad habits (like driving with hands below the centre of the wheel, etc etc etc) and learning about how to teach beginners to drive. But a "normally competent" holiday skier (which I would count myself as) is a long way below the standard needed to get a reasonable saleable instructor qualification. You don't have to have a passion for driving to be a driving instructor - and it's a year round job, modestly but fairly reliably paid. But being a ski instructor I do think you need to have a passion, and be prepared to spend a lot of your own time and money getting to the level where you can expect to be paid a modest living wage for just part of the year. In that regard it's very like becoming a full time sailing instructor. I know several people who have made that leap and are now "living their dream" trying to make a living out of sailing. It's hard work and they have to be very good. Not just technically, but socially and business-wise, too.

For someone who just wants to spend more time skiing, being something like an IT contractor would probably be a better bet. I skied with one, on an Inspired to Ski course. He was young, unmarried, so free to come and go. He'd get something like 4 weeks of skiing in each year, between contracts. And all the time he was building his skills and experiences in a well-paid industry which would provide a career until he was ancient. Which, on the whole, ski instructing won't.

I suppose it's different for people brought up in the relevant parts of Austria or France, where their own skiing skills are of a high order anyway, and keen youngsters can train in the local ski clubs every weekend throughout their school days. I think a lot of the highly qualified British instructors have come up the racing route too, haven't they? Honing their skills on dark wet nights on soggy plastic through the years?
snow report
arv, CSCF1, planning on doing my 2 at the start of next year. There're day rated programs for that too, run by an external club - it does pay well, much much better than the mountain's ski school. Just got to get on to teaching the program - I'd likely get a day a week with them for my rookie year coaching. (they can't sponsor either, but I have an open visa brewed up anyway...)

pam w, I have been/am an IT contractor, which was fine (besides the fact it crushed my soul a few times) until the recession - last summer was miserably quiet.
snow report
DaveC, ah cool. Let us know how you get on. Do you ever consider changing resort?
snow report
arv, the internal training and people I've got to know in town mean nowhere else really makes sense right now - I've always wanted to go to Japan, so that's my "season after CSIA3/CSCF2" plan. For the moment though, I've just started permanently for a company that I have a lot of time for and basically fit my description of an ideal IT job, so instructing might be on the back burner for a while if I do settle into it. Not sure yet, but 18 months of low income/no income from the worst of the recession/low income have taken their toll. Still love skiing, no regrets, but got to find some financial stability now...
latest report
DaveC, if you do settle in there is always Interski for the holidays Wink
ski holidays
pam w, I think that becoming a driving instructor is also quite hard, just maybe not perceived as being as glamorous as a ski instructor. Nevertheless, just because you can drive doesn't mean you can teach someone else to drive and pass their test. Similarly with skiing it is becoming clearer to me that competency at something does not mean you will be a good/effective teacher. In fact, I believe that the teaching part of being a ski instructor is probably more important than the technique part. How many times have people had poor lessons from instructors who are quite likely to be excellent skiers just bad teachers.

There's a lot of talk with reference to instructors/instructing (on here) about technique but only a little on teaching strategies. How do you get someone to learn, to progress, to go from falling over all the time to being in a snow plough? It does not follow that because you do a perfect plough that they will - a ski instructor will need to be able to transfer the skill in an appropriate and differentiated way to their learners. This is not easy, whatever you're teaching, and no matter how good you are at what you do it's not automatic that you'll be able to show someone else how it's done.

I think anyone wanting to be a ski instructor would be well advised to look not only at their own skiing but also at how they might deliver/cope with teaching. My view is you need to be confident in your ability/skill/technique (or subject area) if you're a teacher, so that you can concentrate on your learners' needs. Your core knowledge of what you are teaching needs to be second nature, that way you can give much more to the lesson and make your learners enjoy the subject and actually progress and learn.
ski holidays
johnnyh, Totally agreed...

But... To pass the certifications, you need to be a competent skier (During Anwarter (Austrian entry level) I spend the better part of a full day learning to snowplow in style, another day for wedge christies), passing the methodology (what and in what order to teach) and the various background parts in comparisan is relatively easy to pass...

If you manage to get yourself a pretty flexible employer; For example basically a part-time job working fulltime hours in summer, you get lots of time off during winter months... This is more or less how I do it currently. (over 6 weeks on snow, 1 week training, 3 weeks teaching, 2 weeks snowHead bashes)
ski holidays
DaveC

The Land of the Rising Sun is calling snowHead
latest report
Mike Pow, Do you speak Japanese ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basic conversational.

Not needed to instruct where I am. Non-Japanese english speaking clients.
latest report
Mike Pow, cool, Japanese is apparently pretty hard to learn ?
snow conditions
johnnyh, I think the intense focus on your own skiing allows you to develop a better mechanical understanding to teach it - that's how CSIA aim their development anyway. Discussing how you'd teach stuff is difficult, but the Movement Analysis thread is a good insight into teaching. Discussing technique is actually working on isolating the root of problems too - once you understand those it's pretty easy to address the issue.
latest report
johnnyh, It would be good if driving instructors had to do a lap time around say Donington Park. A 1 min 42 should do the trick, 118% of the current touring car lap record wink

Car control is pretty much ignored in current driver training, which is a pity.
ski holidays
DaveC, same for the Austrians...

"Discussing how you'd teach stuff is difficult" - Very true, but isn't this about as important as having the technical understanding what happens on a pair of planks, once you intend to teach?

All the technical training and understand may make easy for the instructor to see whats happening, what is wrong, what is right, but its useless if he cannot explain it to a customer in a way the customer can do something with it.
snow conditions
Someone recently told me that BASI 1 could be converted to CSIA 1 with some paperwork. Can anyone confirm that as I've not found anything from my own research on that one
latest report
david@mediacopy, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DaveC, I slightly disagree with you about a mechanical understanding allowing you automatically to be able to teach skiing. Yes, you certainly need the analytical skills (some of which are being displayed in the Movement Analysis thread) but ultimately none of that would make a particularly "effective lesson". By effective I mean that some learning takes place and the learner progresses.

I'm with you completely on the need, at instructor level, to understand the mechanics of the body and the forces at work in skiing. What I would argue, though, is that teaching that appropriately is a *separate* skill altogether.

I'm very much in agreement that instructors would need a high level of technical skill. But there is also a common thought/discussion in teaching about whether you would for example allow David Beckham to teach football since he doesn't have a teaching qualification. Obviously as a practitioner his skill level is not in question but that is not the same as teaching.

I'd be interested to know what ski instructors views are on the imparting knowledge skills vs the being able to ski technically well. I appreciate that demonstration/performance is vital to ski instruction and being able to explain what you did or indeed what others did/did wrong is essential. But I'd also argue that the the process of imparting your knowledge/teaching is also as important on the path the ski instruction.

What do those who are paid to teach think? Is it something which is natural to some and not to others and does it require more work than one might expect?

Ronald, your point is what I think too; in a client focused way an instructor will need to be able to pass on their skills effectively and differentiated for all the skill levels in their group.

How does ski instructor training address this?
snow report
david@mediacopy, My first ski club was run by several driving instructors who had also all qualified as ASSIs. I remember them having trade days at race tracks to try out new cars for work, I would have expected all of them to have been able to put in good lap times.
snow conditions
david@mediacopy; I get your reference to the Eurotest/speed test!!

But as an analogy surely car control at the level of race track driving is not as important as real world driving?

Similarly, fast slalom times would not necessarily equate to a great technical skier who could teach snow plough. I'm biased since I'd probably never pass a Eurotest so I will see it as unrelated test which weeds out older/slower skiers from teaching. I can't see why being older or *slightly* slower would equal bad ski instructor.
ski holidays
Quote:

Car control is pretty much ignored in current driver training, which is a pity.

I'm sure that's right, but I guess most learner drivers, just starting, not passed their test, would not be capable of doing more focussed training on car control at that stage (any more than beginner skiers could take advantage of lessons on advanced ski techniques). The difference is that people carry on being trained as skiers (at least some people do) whereas that's unusual with driving. I did a skid pan course a few years ago, because of driving a lot in the Alps, but that's it. I've driven for 46 years and - touch wood - not been involved in any accidents other than a collision at 30 mph with a black cow which leapt into the road on a dark night..... I'm careful and experienced, always leave a long gap between me and the car in front, avoid "sandwiches" wherever possible, etc etc etc. But I'd benefit from specific instruction on cornering (and similar) I'm sure - I've had none since my mother taught me in 1964 to brake (and if necessary change down) in anticipation of bends and then to drive positively round them. I don't think I'm very good at it, though, all these years later! When I drive with other people I often think they are better at it than I am (though they sometimes give me the willies driving far too close to the vehicle in front).
latest report
pam w, Plenty of people just potter along at 30 on A roads, the skills needed to go a bit faster are exactly the same as those needed for track driving, the links between performance skiing and racing are just the same.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy