Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

has this been a good season in Europe for snow and temps

Poster: A snowHead
I know we are'nt at end of season , but so far has this been a good season in Europe for snow and temps
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kendub, It's been very, very consistently cold. Snow above 1,400m seems to have been easily above average. Was pleasantly surprised by the low level snow around the PDS last weekend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like every season there's been periods of good and bad snow, however, in Tirol at least, last season was much better powder-wise - so far!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 18-03-10 22:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I know we are'nt at end of season

Nowhere near. and the second half of March has produced some of the most enjoyable conditions (and biggest snow falls) in several recent years. So I am reserving judgement but January was certainly very cold - the snow stayed on the trees for ages. I wasn't around most of February. March was very cold until yesterday!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been skiing the same week for the past three seasons (second week in March). This year was by far the coldest but I would say the snow conditions were on a par with last season. The previous season (2008) I was in a lower resort with no snow at resort level but good snow higher up.

I seem to remember this season got off to a bit of a shaky start with rain during the Christmas period, but it seems to have been pretty good across Europe since mid-January. Last season started better and seemed pretty good throughout.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not done a lot of skiing this year, but as for general coldness Europe has been unusually bitter and cloudy as far as I can make out. Eastern Europe in particular seems to have had something like a mini ice age.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Speaking of temps one poster here added a link to an Italian article ; -47 in Trentino Italy , mid Dec, which i understand was a record for Italy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What I can tell you is that since November it has been very cloudy. For example Bourg St Maurice would normally have 120 hrs of sun in february and actually got 80. It actually got half the snow in that month it would normally see. Last two weeks of Feb has above ave temperatures due to the foehn wind. It has been a winter of wind in fact.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 18-03-10 22:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, while one observation of a season is a difficult method of judgement, you are (in my area, IMO) pretty spot on. Last year was better and more consistent (unusually so on both counts), this year has been a good season, on the whole. SO FAR! Lots to do yet!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going on queen bodecia, 's methodology I've been skiing the three valleys and espace killy at the beginning of january for the last 4 years and this year has been by far the best. I was so disappointed last year, supposedly the best season in ageas and all i got to ski was sastrugi, hard stony pistes and in excessive winds. But this year I got sunshine and powder Very Happy and in 2 weeks I'm going to switzerland where its going to be sunshine and powder again Toofy Grin . So from where I'm standing this season has been excellent
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends where you are talking about. Last year was superb in Monterosa, Zermatt, Verbier, Chamonix and many other places but only average in the Tarentaise. This year Courmaeur and Chamonix have done really well but Verbier's not had huge amounts and Zermatt is having a shocker.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My two trips so far this season have been colder and as a result drier than previous years. Plus points, little ice, nice dry powdery snow on piste. minus points not much new soft stuff to play in. Val T beckons on sat so hoping for a bit more fresh next week. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It has been moderately cold, but not very snowy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shared a lift with a guy with from 'ski patrol' in Les Coches' last week , he said it was the worst season for snow for many years. I took this as not getting regular top ups.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
great season - good snow, cold, for the most part not too much rain and freezing temps overnight, until today that is!
snow report
kendub wrote:
I know we are'nt at end of season , but so far has this been a good season in Europe for snow and temps

From Nov 2009 to mid-Mar 2010, for the Alps as a whole:

1. Temperatures = somewhat colder than average;
2. Snowfall = slightly below-average;
3. Sun = below-average.
4. Cloud = above-average;
5. Wind = above-average;

It has so far been a cold, cloudy, windy Winter with reasonable-but-not-great snow.
ski holidays
Bestr I can recall for quite a while. Vintage season, I think
ski holidays
Best in a generation in S Wales snowHead
snow report
We've had really great conditions on each of our 3 weeks:

10 Jan Courchevel - good snow already down, cold and fresh top-ups during the week.
31 Jan Lech - had a much needed dump just as we got there, very cold temps and lots of fresh snow during the week
6 March Serfaus - good snow on the ground, cold temps, lovely sunny days (apart from one)

Can't complain Very Happy
snow report
Whitegold, reasonable but not great depends on where and how high you are.
latest report
Snowfall is below average in Western European Alps.

Northen Europe (Sweden, Northern Germany) above average.
snow report
From slf here is a graphical overview of Switzerland % wrt mean values.

http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/schneeinfo/hsm/gross/index_EN
ski holidays
stanton, Whitegold, well it just goes to show that snow is multi-dimensional.

generally bitter cold has resulted in much better cover lower down in say PDS or Les Houches than one would expect given snowfall.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy