Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Beginners Courses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm currently in the process of converting from what I think you guys will claim is the 'darkside', ie been snowboarding for 10+ years, and this season back on skis. Got two weeks under my belt, and, having skied when I was younger have progressed pretty quickly.

I'm keen to get into backcountry, and having been and done plenty on the snowboard I'm comfortable being off the beaten track, but obviously having two planks on one's feet makes things a little different!

I learnt the backcountry trade on a couple of McNab snowboarding weeks in Chamonix and was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for similar operations but for skiers - I have seen that Plas-y-Brenin do a course, anyone else?

I appreciate that there is plenty to learn and am not expecting to be able to pick things up really quickly, but feel that the sooner I start, and begin to learn the corrcet technique the better.

Thanks for your time!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inspired to Ski, Snoworks ,Warren Smith are some to look at
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fleecy, we were with Bass Chamonix for a backcountry week that combined instruction and guiding. The week finished with a skin up to the Col d'Entreve and a perfect descent of the Vallee Noire. Details are here http://www.basschamonix.com/back.htm

The intermediate course might suit - it looks like it would be next year now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fleecy, sorry - forgot to say that we had a fantastic week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.offpisteskiing.com/courses.html
http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/ski/offpiste.html
http://www.alpine-guides.com/skiing/skiing.htm
http://www.mountaintracks.co.uk/winter/offpiste_performance
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fleecy, traitor I tell you traitor..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi

Thanks to all for their input on this, very useful - I've now had time to take a look at the various options etc.

Whilst in the pub last night with my usual partner in crime for skiing trips we considered trying to combine the usual chalet holiday with our better halves with some off-piste instruction along the lines of the courses offered by the companies above - ie go for the usual week long chalet holiday, but for say 3 or 4 days during the week go & do a course. Has anyone ever done this?

I note from the sites above that they are mainly based in Chamonix, Three Valleys, Tignes etc, if we ended up going to a smaller resort where these companies do not operate, would you think it would be feasible to be able to locate a local guide/instructor who would also be able to offer the tuition that we would be looking for?

Grateful for thoughts, wisdom etc etc!

Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't see why not. May work out more expensive just being the two of you. But you'll get better tuition just being the two of you.

I would go with an instructor that's able to take you off-piste over a guide - unless that guide is also an instrctor.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fleecy,

If you are looking for a smaller chalet type resort with off piste then maybe look at St Foy, the link below should take you to the off piste guides and instruction page.

http://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=124&Itemid=132

lots of choice and cheaper than the bigger resorts
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fleecy, Alpine Experience in Val d'Isere may be what you want. They have groups of various standards from novice to very good and do four hours off piste guiding and instruction in the mornings. Their groups are of up to six people, so probably less expensive than a private instructor for just the two of you. They also do afternoon technique sessions targeted at off piste skiing. Several Snowheads, including myself, say good things about Alpine Experience.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/ski/offpiste.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Fleecy,

My name is Adam and I work for a company called NONSTOP Ski & Snowboard. I notice you have had some great feedback from your original post and many of the companies mentioned are very reputable and I am sure would deliver and very professional and fun course.

I just thought I would throw our name into the hat as it is always nice to have options. How we differ to the other companies mentioned is that we are based in Western Canada, not Europe. If you have ever ridden in Canada before you will know the terrain, the snow and the trees are phenomenal and the vast amounts of ski-patrolled off-piste makes it the perfect place for intermediate and advanced riders to let loose and rip it up in the steep and deep conditions. Our location in Western Canada is right amongst 90% of the world's heli and cat skiing operations and they are all there for a good reason- some of the best skiing around!

We run courses that vary in length, start date and focus so there may be something we offer that appeals to you. Our 2 and 3 week improvement camps may be perfect for you as they are aimed at intermediate skiers and snowboarders who are looking to progress beyond the piste and challenge themselves in the off-piste terrain and conditions. The beauty of the location of these courses (Fernie, BC) is the easy access to challenging off-piste. Fernie has five bowls and each bowl has a mixture of piste, off-piste, gullies, trees and steeps so the variation is incredible and perfect for progressing all areas of skiing.

If you are looking for the ultimate in off-piste and backcountry training you might like to consider our 6-week master the mountain course. The aim of the course is to train you primarily in the off-piste terrain. You will cover all areas of ski improvement so that you can ski the off-piste hard and fast, while maintaining control and good technique. The trip culminates in an awesome four day backcountry touring trip, where we fly you out via helicopter to a remote backcountry lodge, you will tour around each day skiing fresh lines and new terrain before returning to lodge each night for hearty meals and a well earned rest. It is an absolute once in a lifetime trip not to be missed!

I notice you would like to travel with your partners; this is not a problem at all. Even if your wives do not want to take part on a course, we can accommodate them with you, provide lift passes and even provide the same meals you will be getting on the course.

If anything I have mentioned gets your attention and you would like to know more please check out www.nonstopski.com
for more information.

I wish you the best of luck with your skiing. Whichever course you choose I am sure you will gain a great deal from it and be ripping it up in no time!

Good luck

Adam- NONSTOP Ski & Snowboard
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NONSTOP, I think there is a bit of a difference between consumers giving examples of companies they have used and yourself as an operator coming on periodically to spam your offering. Given you must have an immense knowledge of western Canadian skiing how come we only see you contributing to the forum when you've a pimping opportunity?

I have met people who've done your courses and they speak positively of the experience so why do you risk damage your brand by overselling?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fleecy, Alpine Coaching with Pete Gillespie, http://www.alpinecoaching.com/courses.asp
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, well said.
ski holidays
Another option, perhaps more low key, is the SCGB's courses http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skifreshtracks/zoneholidays.aspx/off-piste-ski-holidays
. I was on their off piste course in Flaine over last new year and the instructors/guides were very good. You do have to be a SCGB member to go on the course, which can either be on a course only basis or with accommodation. I know the SCGB ethos is not to everyone's liking, but it is another option.

For the benefit of fatbob, my only interest in SCGB is as a member!
latest report
Fatbob Sorry you feel that way. I actually think that we were giving a direct response to a Fleecy’s original post, and not spamming. If you, or anyone else didn’t find it useful, simply disregard it as it was actually intended to aid Fleecy in their search for an appropriate course. I don’t think there’s any harm mentioning our courses, alongside useful on-topic information (as you say, we do have a lot of knowledge, and we are very confident in the quality and reputability of our courses). I’m sure with the amount of time you’ve spent on forums, you’ve grow a little tired of what companies have to say. New members, such as Fleecy, may benefit from another option being presented to them. I know I certainly would appreciate a dedicated and passionate ski and snowboard company such as ourselves taking the time to write a detailed and considered reply, especially if I knew how much experience in the industry they represented.

Please understand we value our clients immensely and we are 100% dedicated to providing the best possible training and course experience available on today's market. We do not wish to be argumentative but we also do not wish to be shown in a bad light because you read something that you don't agree with. I hope one day you join us on a course and get the NONSTOP experience for yourself as I really feel you would then see how much care and pride we take in what we do.
snow report
NONSTOP, all very laudable, but far from the point that fatbob was actually making.
ski holidays
NONSTOP, Thanks but the point I was really making is that you are risking embarassing your operation by responding with a hyperbole filled marketing blurb and I'm not aware that you contribute financially or content-wise to the forum in exchange for the "advertising" opportunities you seem keen to take advantage of.

Even a new member of a forum is capable of using Google to find people who operate such courses and I read the OP as a request for recommendations not an open invitation for any commercial operation to tell everyone how brilliant they are.

Social marketing is a delicate thing and from what I've seen from your (collective employee) posts on here over time you aren't doing that well at creating a positive impression. Fine to jump in to add balance to situations where someone is directly defaming your operation or to correct inaccuracies but its a bit tiresome when we get unsubtle posts such as you opened your contribution here with.
snow report
NONSTOP, I'm sure you mean well and the last thing you really want to do is alienate an audience with the potential that snowHeads has to swell your client-base however... as fatbob, says "Social marketing is a delicate thing" although it's not so tricky to crack.

Consider yourself at a dinner party, perhaps dinner time in a ski chalet, surrounded by friends, acquaintances, strangers, every one of them a potential client. Now, while you might discuss what you do and you might give advice and opinion t one and all based upon your professional expertise, were you to stand up, chink your glass and proceed to deliver a sales pitch to the room, it would all be rather embarrassing, no?
Of course, you wouldn't do that as it would alienate the room and anyway, once they are aware of who and what you are, anyone who is interested will likely then approach you and ask specifically about your product, during or after dinner or perhaps the following day, having thought about it a little - and that's more likely to happen if they find you helpful, genuine, friendly etc.

And that's how it works around here: there are many people who do very well out of snowHeads business-wise but you wont see them marketing in the forum as you have been here. They'll be there making friends and giving them advice and the business just comes to them Little Angel
snow report
Just bumping this as its now getting to the point whereby we're hoping to book something!

Having done the research on the companies above they all look pretty good - but going back to one of my other queries in respect of hiring an instructor for just the two of us, do the snowheads have any recommendations for such English speaking instructors? Resort wise we're probably going to stick to Europe, but are flexible as to where we go - this is more about the skiing experience than the apres ski scene - as long as the off piste is there to be be taught on!

Also, any rough ideas what this is likely to cost?!

Looking forward to the words of wisdom!

Cheers
snow conditions
Fleecy, a specific instructor? easiski, based at Les Deux Alpes has probably been the best instructor for me - and is well rated by other snowheads. She is also a member of snowHeads, so you may PM her if you wish. Naturally, personal instruction is more expensive than when in a group. OTOH, if you can get together a group of up to 6, that would bring your costs down.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 21-11-10 22:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
achilles, does easiski still lurk here? She doesn't post any more. May be better for Fleecy to get in touch with her via her website: http://www.easiski.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy