Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Various airline ski carriage costs

Poster: A snowHead
For carrying a set of skis in a bag

Edited with reference to all the answer below

EasyJet £37
RyanAir £80
BA £70 - updated following the increase Shocked Updated (again)
Jet2 £40
SwissAir £free
Flybe £56
Monarch £25
Baboo £Free
Wizz Air £52
Lufthansa £Free
Inghams £18.00
Thomsonfly/First Choice £30
Thomas Cook/Neilson £15
Club Med (ThompsonFLy) Free
Mark Warner £15
TUI £30
BMI £30

and the red badge of shame goes to......

AirFrance/KLM £100 for bookings made after 25/3/10 - this does not include boots

Does anyone have a more up to date list or any other airline details that can be added to the list (of shame)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-08-10 7:53; edited 12 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flybe £28 each way
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monarch charged by the TO, usually £25 but very negotiable with the package.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you carry boots in another bag on easyjet?
I'm not talking in hand luggage or main hold case. Would like to know asflying gatwick
to Munich on friday
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Baboo £Free
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wizz Air £52 rtn. Has gone up from £42 from last year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lufthansa £0.00 plus the price of 1 phone call to their hotline to tell them you're taking skis/board (unless it changed recently?)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would be useful to list separately for skis and for separate boot bag. I guess many people are happy to put boots in my main bag if it avoids paying a second-bag fee.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Inghams( yes I know its a tour operator ) Charge £18.00 return.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW,
Not really, as it would not be a comparison then. Some airlines allow ski "and" boots others charge per bag. Just trying to get a comparison, if poss.
There are "many" posts about ways to get around this charge or that charge, but just looking for a list that will avoid the stress when faced with the check-in person who has been told to get a much money as possible from us. And as for arguing with a security guard whilst waving a copy of some European Parliament act or other, well, best just make things as easy as possible and pack how they want you to in the first place.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, maybe have a comment with each entry - like "ski bag alone = £xx", or two columns, one for 1x ski bag, one for 1x ski bag, 1x boot bag.

I know a lot of people have ski bags that have boot compartments or as RobW says are happy to put boots in suitcases if it means saving £lots for an extra bag each way.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, The difference is that many main bags *do* have the provision for a pair of ski boots - where no main bag has provision for skis. If you don't make this distinction, then at make it clear that your pair of boots in another bag means in a dedicated boot bag.

Really need three columns: price for ski, price for boots, price for main bag, and then a further three specifying the weight limits on each rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Air Canada now charge £30.00 each way for an extra bag weighing upto 23kgs. You can put any amount of ski's in the bag and also take a boot bag as long as the total weight is not more than 23kgs. Although having just returned from Canada I can say that they never weighed the ski bags on either of the flights.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, Ski carriage on BA is free, depending ....... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thomsonfly/First Choice £30 return.
latest report
Lufthansa (Munich) and Swiss (Zurich) FOC - book early and look out for deals, better value than travelling with budget (?) airlines in my experience - but no good for last minute.

Jet2 (or is it Dick Turpin Air) starts off 19.99 to fly one way and 9.99 back and somehow ends up at £200pp incl ski's and bags, choose your seat, online check-in etc etc - Woah, joke!

Easy jet is reasonable weight allowance, ski's and boots allowance allows up to 12kg (boots bag and ski bag), works ok - book early though.

I've gone back to driving (and avoiding French tolls), 4 mates in a car, take all the toys/ food etc and let the plane carriers fleece someone else, the days of cheap air-travel to the Alps into Geneva, Salzburg, Chambery etc are well behind us I reckon. Not great for the environment but neithers travelling by plane - its a long way by push bike, and the trains dont work in UK from the North so not much option.
snow report
Wayne, Thomas Cook/Neilson cost £15 return this year for additional 10Kg ski carriage allowance on top of the standard 20Kg. If you only have boots you can use your normal allowance even if they are in a separate boot bag, providing you don't exceed 20Kg in total. They are a tour operator but you can book just the flights.
latest report
Wayne, Maybe add an entry for hand luggage, how much you are allowed, are ski boots permissable, ski helmets also, oh, and another column maybe to say if you get a free sandwich and / or muffin. Only joking Happy - keep it simple, liking your original list.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Wayne, Ski carriage on BA is free, depending ....... wink

How's that then. I had vouchures for my clients for this year but they won't give me any for 2011.

No No No No - None of that now, you lot.
Whatever next. Next you'll be saying that you can DIY for cheaper than going on holiday with me. Phah. wink
(no you can't by the way Blush wink )

The list is about normal people doing normal things.
So then
eg
you can go for a weekend skiing with Mrs Wayne and this is what the list is for. (she won't mind)
or
eg. Pack your suit case. Pack your skis in a ski bag. Pack your boots in a boot bag. Get on the plane the nice TO has laid on. Get to the other end and (unless your name starts with Pan..... - don't go there) get on the coach Toofy Grin , have your holiday and go home.

What could be simpler?
OK I understand that you can pack all your gear and skis and boots and take it for free in a 100ml clear plastic bag and I know that you don't "really" need a lift pass coz Mr Bonington told you that anyway. And meals in a slope side restaurant are for wimps. I always take enough boiled eggs with my on the way out and eat them all week whilst I sit outside the cafe. Oh and if I drive I always go down to Italy via Reykjavík, dam Frenchies ain’t getting any tolls off me. etc. etc. etc
latest report
Wayne, i know you like simplicity but I have gone skiing with BA 3 times this season and have not yet paid any baggage supplements for my skis. sometimes you just have to accept that you can oversimplify to the point of being misleading
ski holidays
Arno,
Seriously would like to know how.
eg. Just booked a group for next Jan (40 people) and 12 taking own skis - had to pay for 2 extra bags each for skis and boots for those 12.
It would be good if I could claim it back from BA
latest report
Wayne, do you do chalets too Laughing
snow report
a number of ways:

1. you get a big ski bag and put as much as you can in that and take the rest hand luggage (i know you specify taking a ski bag and a boot bag but (a) separate boot bags really are not necessary and (b) if you insist, you can check your skis and take your boots as hand luggage) - i know that might be a squeeze for people spending a week but quite achievable if you don't go mad on off-slope clothes

2. travel club europe

3. transatlantic, travel world traveller plus or above in which case you get 2 checked bags as your allowance
snow conditions
Arno, you freak, you shouldn't do that, didn't you read Wayne's posts?! Normal people have to have a separate ski bag, boot bag and suitcase. Anything else just isn't cricket.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 17-03-10 17:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rayscoops,
No ( See link )
ski holidays
Quote:

Lufthansa £0.00 plus the price of 1 phone call to their hotline to tell them you're taking skis/board (unless it changed recently?)

Went 10 days ago with Lufthansa (from Manchester). Saw no reference on their luggage info. about ringing them in advance about taking skis - so just turned up at the airport with them. No problem - and no charge. Free if you include them in your 20kg luggage allowance.
latest report
Norwegian air.

Skis £24
You are allowed to take 2 luggage bags up to 20kg each for 4 euros so put boots in that.

Cheers
Bob
latest report
Quote:

Jet2 (or is it Dick Turpin Air) starts off 19.99 to fly one way and 9.99 back and somehow ends up at £200pp incl ski's and bags, choose your seat, online check-in etc etc - Woah, joke!

Yeah - still waiting to resolve an issue on a flight where they are trying to claim I chose to pay in Euros - despite my invoice being in GBP. I wish the flight had only been £200...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For bookings made after 25th March this year KLM now charge (are you ready for this) £100

O M G

I think they don't want people taking skis on the planes
snow report
Quote:

Easy jet is reasonable weight allowance, ski's and boots allowance allows up to 12kg (boots bag and ski bag)

That's not strictly true - as it actually depends on how many bags you check in. If you check in a bag weighing 20kg and also pay for a ski bag your luggage allowance is increased to 32kg. I assume therefore that that is where the 12kg (above) comes from as a maximum weight for a ski bag.

however, we usually check in a ski bag (only) and take ski boots and ski clothes as hand luggage. That means our luggage allowance is 32kg for the ski bag. Our 2 pairs of skis and poles weigh approximately 15kg and, despite several weighings, have never been questioned.
ski holidays
Wayne, Is that each way ?

If so their website is wrong, as it states its 55( whatever currency, & country ) each way - discounted by 20% if booked & paid online.
ski holidays
55 EACH way

I took a booking today from 25 people from a ski club and they wanted to take thier own skis / boots - but they will now just take the ones we offer in the inclusive packge. I phone KLM groups to check if the website was a mistake, as I thought £100 was a little (?) over the top. They confirmed it was right.

Sure it can't really cost the airline that much to carry 2 planks of wood or an ironing board.

KLM wrote:
Please note that the piece concept applies if your ticket was issued on or after 28 March 2010. If your ticket was issued before that date, the weight concept may still apply. Your e-ticket states which concept applies and how much baggage you may bring.

KLM wrote:
Second piece of baggage*
if 1 piece in standard allowance EUR 55 EUR 55

KLM wrote:
2. Conditions applying to pre-purchased extra baggage
2.1 The pre-purchased extra baggage should be used in combination with the ticket you bought the extra baggage for when checking in online. The pre-purchased extra baggage is personal and non-transferable.

2.2 The pre-purchased extra baggage is valid for a one-way journey (outbound or return journey) to the place of the stopover or the final destination, and exclusively for flights with KLM.

ooops it was for bookings after 28th March not 25th - sorry to worry anyone who booked on the 26th or 27th wink
snow report
Is it just me, but I always take 2 pairs of skis in one bag and only pay for one carriage, thus halfing the price of ski carriage. Never ever been questioned even on EJ. Puzzled
ski holidays
Wayne,

Then take your custom elsewhere, simples
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Went 10 days ago with Lufthansa (from Manchester). Saw no reference on their luggage info. about ringing them in advance about taking skis - so just turned up at the airport with them. No problem - and no charge. Free if you include them in your 20kg luggage allowance.

You travel light then
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
Is it just me, but I always take 2 pairs of skis in one bag and only pay for one carriage, thus halfing the price of ski carriage. Never ever been questioned even on EJ. Puzzled

So do I, but this thread is just to give the "official" costs. Not how much various snowHead's get away with. We all know you can take your ski boots inside the plane if you join the power straps and wear them as a hat and take your poles with you if you have a spare Labrador. But that’s not the idea

Kel wrote:
Wayne, Then take your custom elsewhere, simples

I would rather people used the skis we offer in our fully inclusive package - it's MUCH cheaper for me to hire them (in Italy) than pay for ski carrage. Some weeks we rent over 1,000 sets of skis and boots so we get a little discount from the local shops

PS - am waiting for the - take polish people on the plane with you - comments Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
Kel wrote:

We all know you can take your ski boots inside the plane if you join the power straps and wear them as a hat

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
Wayne, Then take your custom elsewhere, simples

I would rather people used the skis we offer in our fully inclusive package - it's MUCH cheaper for me to hire them (in Italy) than pay for ski carrage. Some weeks we rent over 1,000 sets of skis and boots so we get a little discount from the local shops

PS - am waiting for the - take polish people on the plane with you - comments Toofy Grin[/quote]

Fact is your punters and they are the ones who matter would rather use there own planks, I know I do !! wink . For all I know your "free" skis might be premium, however I doubt they are. But even if they were I would still sooner use my own.
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
Fact is your punters and they are the ones who matter would rather use there own planks, I know I do !! wink . For all I know your "free" skis might be premium, however I doubt they are. But even if they were I would still sooner use my own.

I have no problems with that. People can take their own ski or use our's (which ain't free BTW, we pay shed loads for em - but still much cheaper than paying airline costs)
We used to (up till about 4 weeks ago - when the winter flights for next year started to come out) offer free ski carriage but now we offer a £20 discount on carriage. Simple reason is that now some airlines charge much for carrying a set of ski than we make in profit on a booking. But if people want to take their own skis, it fine by me.

But as snowHead 's are not your average ski holidaymaker, this is not a problem. Last year (when we did offer free ski carriage) less then 2% asked for it. So for the majority of tourists the cost of ski carriage is neither here nor there, as they don't own a pair of skis.
snow conditions
Wayne, Only 2% that is a surprize, but I am sure you know your market.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy