Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I have no idea about skis! Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Basically I'm thinking of doing a season (2010/2011) and the place I'm thinking of going to has there own skis which are not great, fine for a few days but for a whole season I'd quite like my own, as well as comfy boots!

Problem, I don't really have a clue about what skis are good for what level/runs etc etc so could do with some advice Smile

The brief:

- My skiing - competent at black runs, although tend to stick to red/blue. Very rarely go off-piste or at least not seriously, like a play about occasionally.

- Price - need a half-decent pair, but don't want to spend a fortune, as i'm a student now and in resort there is one run back to the chalet so gets a few roots and rocks poking out, so dont want to be worrying about a few scratches.

So really I don't know where the best place to buy them is, best time, or just what skis, i don't ski seriously but need a decent pair that I can use regularly, hopefuly for a couple seasons.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gem_89, leave it until you get there, take the company's skis to start with, and try stuff in resort. You'll get a seasonnaire discount.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The resort doesn't have any ski shops thats why they have their own skis, which are't branded as very cheap!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 Pontoons
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gem_89, Work somewhere else! wink

Swirly, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, trust me i would, its a case of the bf works there so il take the tiny resort/appalling skis for that, and hopefully i'l persuade him to fund my skis Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gem_89, Snow and Rock have a sale around Easter. Despite what others may say or think, I've had some good deals in the past (for me, my OH and son). Get a catalogue or go on-line and choose some with the right ability rating (given out of 10, you're maybe a 7 or 8 ). There's a S&R in Gateshead. Of course other Durham locals may know of somewhere cheaper. Regards.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Google is your friend - check out a few manufacturers websites. Also think about where you want to go with your skiing - just cruising pistes, hitting the offpiste or do you wanna be a park rat? You should be able to progress a lot over a season.

Also, where the hell are you planning to go that doesn't have a ski shop?!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello op. I think faction "Wednesday" would'nt be a bad investment.They scored well enough in fall-lines reviews last year.

Hope that helped snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zappo, Screw that - Nordica Jah Loves are clearly the way forward!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, Torgon - in the PDS - one v small rental shop but doesn't sell equipment. And might find myself in a few snowparks at some point Smile

Cheers 4 the info so far guys, guess i'l just have a look at the end of the season for whats on offer
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy some 2nd hand skis in a roughly correct size, preferably heavily flogged so you care little about rocks etc then take them out and destroy them more yourself. When they break buy some more (skis can take a lot more abuse than mostr people here would tell you). Simples.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go with fatbobs idea. I have had two pairs of skis from Ebay, cost around £70 each pair including P&P, also got one ski bag and one set of poles included. Those two pairs lasted for ages. One ski had an edge pulled out. The other pair still has lots of life but I am trying other, more modern, skis now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for buying second-hand. There will probably be something suitable coming up here. A more important question is "what are you going to do about boots?". The advice there will be different - and there could be some good buys in end of season sales shortly. Buy new, and get them properly fitted. You can get a decent pair of second hand skis for less than half what a basic pair of boots will cost you. I'm buying a pair of second hand skis today, for £85. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gem_89, If you are going to be working at the centre in Torgon that caters for clubs and school trips, yes you will want your own skis Toofy Grin

Boots though are most important, get a pair of well fitted boots first, then see how much money you spend on skis. If a reasonable amount look through the fall line magazine reviews of 2010 skis, shortlist some suitable ones, then scour the end of season sales for a bargain. If you are skint after buying boots, keep on looking on Ebay until something comes up - people on here will usually be able to advise if a particular is suitable/any good.
latest report
RobinS, yep that would be the centre! survived a day on them, but no chance for a season!
ski holidays
Hi, I've always found Ski Bartlett extremely helpful with advice on boots and skis so it may be worth giving them a ring as you're obviuously too far to travel to see them. Enjoy your time if doing a season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy