Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should the ski events have more averaged runs?

Poster: A snowHead
Should the ski events have more averaged runs?
It seems fairly evident that there is a bigger factor of chance in the ski events (including ski cross) than you might get for something like luge, bobsleigh, etc.
You can be fairly sure that the best luge competitor has won when they average the 4 runs or for example bobsleigh where they take the fastest run.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe but sport is about taking your chance on the big day otherwise the fa cup final would take 4 days to win!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Ross wrote:
Maybe but sport is about taking your chance on the big day otherwise the fa cup final would take 4 days to win!

True, I'm just comparing it to the rest of the events in the olympics...most of which have averaged times or best of.
I agree it makes it a little more exciting on things like the downhill but skier cross where you can be taken out immediately must be pretty unsatisfying Smile
I guess even in the ski world cup they get averaged points don't they?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman wrote:
Peter Ross wrote:

True, I'm just comparing it to the rest of the events in the olympics...most of which have averaged times or best of.
I agree it makes it a little more exciting on things like the downhill but skier cross where you can be taken out immediately must be pretty unsatisfying Smile

The only sport I am aware of which is competed for by multiple individual competitors at once (i.e. more than 2 ) where there are several runs/events to decide final placings is Speedway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it aint baroque, don't fix it Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman None of the Winter Olympic events are decided by average times or the best of. All the events with more than 1 run are the total times added together. Luge, Bobsleigh, Skeleton etc 4 runs time added together.
Both Slalom & GS are 2 runs with times added together as is the Super Combined which is a Downhill added to a 1 run slalom time. So some of skiing is already like it.
There certainly wouldn't be enough time to do it for Downhill or Super G, the courses would be too cut up after a while. Just not possible.
It just wouldn't make sense to make the Olympics completely different to the other thousands of ski races throughout the world anyhow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plugboy,

Isn't the half pipe the best of two runs? Hence how S White gets to do victory laps sometimes?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gryphea, I thought the half pipe result was the points from both runs added together. I guess that White's first run puts him in first place, or close to it, and as he is then last to ski he knows what he has to do to beat the others.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

There certainly wouldn't be enough time to do it for Downhill or Super G, the courses would be too cut up after a while. Just not possible.

Add to that how knackered they are after skiing a downhill anyway.

PhilD, best single score over two runs, hence he knew he'd won as noone scored better than him when it came to his second run (the second run is in reverse order from how they stand after the first). It used to be the total of the best two runs from three, don't know when or why it was changed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gryphea wrote:
Plugboy,

Isn't the half pipe the best of two runs? Hence how S White gets to do victory laps sometimes?

Yes, I think you are right. Hence White had already won before he did his second run - he just did it to see if he could get an even higher score (and to show his new trick).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Phil_D,

Don't think so, he did his second run by choice but I believe in other competititons he has done victory laps instead as he has already won.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plugboy, as others have mentioned half-pipe is best one from two and the skiercross/boardercross qualification round (used in determining placings from 9 downwards) is also best one from two.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plugboy wrote:
GordonFreeman None of the Winter Olympic events are decided by average times or the best of. All the events with more than 1 run are the total times added together. Luge, Bobsleigh, Skeleton etc 4 runs time added together.

What's the practical difference? Divided by four or not divided by four, the result (and the essence of what GordonFreeman is aksing) is the same.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea, SW had already won gold from the first run, the second one was really just for a bit of showboating, as it happened he bettered his first round score anyway, it is the best of the two runs which wins it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plugboy wrote:
GordonFreeman None of the Winter Olympic events are decided by average times or the best of. All the events with more than 1 run are the total times added together.

"Average" is the same as "Adding together"!

(since the division factor is a constant)
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:
Peter Ross wrote:

The only sport I am aware of which is competed for by multiple individual competitors at once (i.e. more than 2 ) where there are several runs/events to decide final placings is Speedway.

You don't watch much sport then - Sailing, Show Jumping, Archery are but 3 that meet your criteria...
snow conditions
bertie bassett, Sailing, I'll give you.

But not the others. Show jumping is one competitor at a time.

And Archery, after the qualifications, is usually one person against another in a knockout format (it certainly is at Olympic level).

There probably are some others apart from Sailing and Speedway, but I just can't think of them at the moment. There are quite a few which have a number of heats with each competitor going in several but then a grand final for those doing best in the heats to decide final placings (e.g. Rallycross - and actually Speedway often works that way too, in spite of it being the first example I gave).

But there really aren't very many.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy