Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat skis - a fashion statement?

Poster: A snowHead
Hee hee hee Laughing

So I was in one of my favourite rental shops (Europe, not Chamonix) earlier in the week. Discussion between the staff ongoing as to why there was a pair of Volkl Kuros (132mm waist) that had been left in the corner of the shop all week.

Shop owner gets involved giggling about how so many folks tip up with fat off piste skis and find themselves skiing on piste all the time.

He loves it as he wins twice.

1. he gets to sell silly fat skis at full price to tourists despite protesting that they're silly and

2. they then leave them in his shop as they spend all their time on his rental piste skis.

Ker-ching!

Fat skis, most of the time, for most people not in AK, UT, CO, WY are a fashion. (That was his opinion. He makes his living out of the business and is pretty clued up. Whether or not it's mine ((it is)) is not pertinent).

Discuss.

[Parlor, I'm sorry, you aren't invited]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name, depends how fat, obviously Wink I'd imagine anything >120mm in Europe is a niche quiver ski, or someone trying to look cool. Definitely harder for anyone who flies with skis to justify the fatter end of the spectrum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, I'd duck now if you want to avoid the flamefest.

You are right, however. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No one's asking if fat skis are always a fashion statement. Question is are they "most of the time, for most people"?

under a new name, what did he define as fat? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, I'd agree with that... but they still make me salivate.

I'd be an eejit to buy a pair though given that I'd get to make use of them ooooh once in every 20 days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always assumed that these people who have mahoosive fat off-piste powder skis also have normal skis for skiing on piste or in non-powder conditions. After all, they are the sort of people who clearly take skiing very seriously and would think nothing of spending a grand or so on equipment.

However, I daresay there are a few ATGNIs out there. We have plenty of them in the motorcycling community. I'm especially amused by novice riders on 600s with one piece race leather suits with knee sliders and aerohumps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, true. I'd suggest anything over 95mm, but that's only cos my fatter skis are 93mm. Anyway, they're really just there to set off the salty filth currently encrusting the UANN battlewagon.

slikedges, the Kuros were, certainly. They were in good company with lots of sticks >100mm, rockered, etc. For the record, the shop is in Champoluc, the well known dormitory resort for the Freeride Paradise of Alagna.

As per usual, although there is quite a lot of snow, the off piste is far from paradise like. Doesn't stop the clients tipping up with skis designed for the champagne powder of Utah or the steep windblown needles of Alaska. And unpleasantly unskiable on the man-made hard pack of the Moos home run.

I've actually used my fat skis quite a lot this year - really wanting to determine what they're good/less good at. We've decided that is we're only taking one pair of skis, we'd prefer our slalom ones as they're actually better all round than the 93mm fatties.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, as you acknowledge even by european standards the Monte Rosa area doesn't usually get a lot of snow... and champlouc isn't the first place i'd think of if i was looking for opinions on the latest and greatest ski designs. however, i might head over and see what second hand bargains are to be had wink

anyway, we haven't really defined what "fat" is. i don't think anyone is saying that the Kuro is an ideal everyday ski in a dry part of the Alps
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure some people try them because they look so good, and then don't get on with them. And why not? You gotta give these things a go! I use my Black Crows Navis happily for everything except touring, for what it's worth.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
firebug, wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...as recommended by SMALLZOOKEEPER !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dear under a new name, when I bought my Völkl Mantras the guy in the shop told me that they were really good skis for learning to ski parallel, and for doing those jump turn things and for doing that newfangled carving stuff and that in no time at all I'd be out there up to my nose in powder and then I'd have to ski fast cos I'd be getting chased by all the girls in the resort. But then I found that the other guys in the powder had even fatter skis, and that some of them were a funny banana shape and the girls were chasing after them instead Sad What do you recommend?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang, get a life? Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We still havent defined "fat"...

But for what its worth - my 2p.

Obvioulsy the type of skiing you do dictates the skis you need Puzzled yup there are those who splash the cash on skis they dont "really" use in the terrain designed for - ie 1 afternoon "off piste" on the annual holiday and spend the rest of the time struggling when trying to keep up with their ski chums on piste. However unless we are lucky enough - al la Lizzard, firebug, et al whom are able to ski at home? then a compromise (aspiration, ability, intent, reality) has to be found. Ie a 7+ day a year skiier who wants to ski off piste but struggles in simple off piste and therefore intends to take lessons but is constrained by time/money/family is clearly wasting money on say Hellbents - but are they wasting money on say a pair of Kung Fujas - i would argue not. Skis like these and many others serve to get the piste only skiiers off piste (where the best skiing is) they provide the best of both worlds - work well on and off piste, then when the individual has moved into the more time off than on - then its time for the hellbents.

I am of course ever so slightly biased towards fat twins (skis that is Toofy Grin ) as i love my Helixes Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are skis with 85-90 mm waists that are very good at carving, and that would be seen as "really fat" in many places around the Alps. You shpuld see the looks my Atomic Crimsons got in Serfaus....
ski holidays
I think fat is anything 100m+ underfoot. Basically fat skis rock and they give me wood and I actually enjoy skiing on the piste with them just as much as going off the beaten track, for me they are my all mountain ski, yeah maybe you do need 130mm underfoot to conquer AK. Yes I like the way they look but more importantly I love skiing on them.
latest report
sugardaddy,i hear you... you should've seen the look my LP XXL's got in morzine and they're only 109 in the waist...retards thought they were waterskis...

okbye
latest report
Gsyfreerider,

You Sir, hit the nail on the head snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I just spent the last 16/17 days (well got back last weekend) in Jackson Hole and my ski used every day was my 101mm waisted Stockli DP PRO+ (193). We had 10 days of snow and conditions were excellent. 20 inch days... 13 inch day, 5 inches, 8 inches etc etc.. we also had 3 days of sun and skied out condition in bounds and I also spent 3 days with my 4 year old skiing the pistes. So pretty much all conditions and I can say that they were a great ski for that job, albeit a bit stiff and a handful in the tight woods on the lower mountain. For Jackson they are NOT a fat ski and with no rocker they are also in the minority. Not everyones cup of tea but if you have come from skiing powder on 60mm skis in the past then a race orientated fat ski is not so scary.

In Europe the same ski is really overkill IMO and last year in the 21 days I did in Chamonix I didn't use them all the time and was mainly on a 90mm ski. 100m or more should be one of a quiver of skis to be used in the right conditions.

In my opinion for most people in Europe around the 90mm should be their one ski does all tool. And then if you go any fatter you are either adding to that ski and maybe doing a season or just have the funds to have lots of skis.

Then you can open up the discussion about people using huge rocker (banana) shaped skis who cant ski for love nor money yet suddenly think they are back country experts with their Kuros on their feet or the like !

Just my 2 pence... Alex
snow report
My skis (although I've ditched those Marker demo bindings):

They're unashamedly fat and rockered. I don't have them becuase I read about them in a magazine or think they'll make me look cool, but because they're fun as hell to ride, off and on piste.
latest report
.jut

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 20-02-10 16:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Skis cannot be too fat if they are the skinniest in the liftline. I met this criteria earlier in the season on 112mm skis which therfore fall into band of functional mid-fat wink

Shameless xpost but

Blowing s**t up like a powder gangsta

seems relevant here
snow report
I know my comments don't count but here's what "I" think anyway:

When I see Kuros I also laugh a little, even in a meter of 2% only the biggest of skiers really need that amount of float, but it is fun! It also makes 6" of heavy pow feel like 1' of 5% pow, so if it floats your fat back bottom enjoy it.

The last couple of weeks I've been skiing pow in Canadian trees and I realise I am missing a ski (I have two pairs here, both 112mm underfoot, Faction 3.Zero 191cm with Dynafits and Faction 13s 194cm with 916) what I need is a fatter, shorter ski for deese trees. A 18X with around 120-130mm underfoot and plenty of rocker would kill these trees (Royale? mmMMMmm)

Fat skis are fun to ski on the piste, if you can't do it spend less money on ski gear and more money on lessons.

Is it a fashion statement? Just like powder puffs baby...
snow report
riding fat skis on the piste is a bit like masturbation, you know its bad but I just can't stop doing it...
ski holidays
One other point... fat skis totally knacker your knees if you can carve well.... one big negative. So if you use them a lot in Europe on hard slopes and fly around on those edges at mach 3 look forward to shagged knees !! Sad
snow report
110mm, no more. 98mm no less and certainly never...........BENT.
snow conditions
Alex A, How can you define this more precisely?
ski holidays
Alex A, not if you do heavy squats...

okbye
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just skied my Icelantic Nomads (92mm) for the first time this week in Laax with no fresh snow all week and some of the pistes getting pretty icy. They weren't ideal tbh, although it's probably more me Embarassed
latest report
Steilhang, I have a whole bundle of adds for manhood enlargement. I think you might benefit.

Arno, no we haven't really defined aft. I'm simply choosing >95mm. But the question is why would anyone 1. buy Kuros and 2. think they'd be any benefit in Monterosa? Most odd.

Alex A, I'm sure your DPs were great out there, although I think the DP_not_+ would be more fun.

I just find it really interesting that so many poeple (more than one) but skis that seriously compromise their on piste fun. While I appreciate that firebug uses her Crows for everything - they're just not going to be as good on hard surfaces or bumps as a good piste oriented ski. But as mentioned, if you live in resort and have time to pick and choose when/where you go it's a little different.

If you're a one or two week a year skier, a quiver isn't terribly practical (you should rent anyway) and >100mm underfoot is just making your life more difficult.
ski holidays
thought the nomad was 105mm?????
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, on a narrow race ski the forces are coming in a straight line directly from the edge through the boot and up your leg. With a massive fat ski the angles are all wrong and the effect is far greater pressure on your knee joints.
latest report
Very Happy
ski holidays
Alex A,

snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

So on that diagram the line would be straight and way inside the blue line in a race ski for example?

Or you saying that in fact it less pressure the wider you go?!

I was with some of the US ski team / coaches a couple of weeks ago having a beer and they were talking about this.

Alex
snow conditions
Alex A, Big subject in our world too, as things are at the moment, bindings are taking most of the forces and coming loose in their tracks. Designing a binding that copes with this means, as you say the forces are pushed further up and effect the knee.
Yes the blue line would follow your logic.
We use dimensions that almost follow what you say put take in account boot width at coller and forefoot.
snow conditions
under a new name, Laughing .... you are on the wind up right?....nobody could make such moronic statements about what someone else should and should not ski without having knowledge of their abilities has to be...also stating that someone who skis once or twice a week per season should rent is retarded...

okbye
ski holidays
It depends what you ski. If all you do is offpiste, I don't see what is wrong with having fat skis.

I don't really care about piste skiing, it doens't excite me, so I use an 85mm allmountain for general use (ie skiing with fam, so on and offpiste a lot in one day) and a longer 92mm twin for all my offpiste, which is also fine on piste, just not as responsive. Planning on getting something properly fat and rockered next season, which will only come out on the deep days - 'twill just be something fun to have when the conditions are right, not for everyday use.

If I could only have one ski, I'd stick with the 92mm.
ski holidays
the_doc, sorry Pilgrims, forgot wot skis I've got Embarassed
latest report
under a new name,
Quote:
Steilhang, I have a whole bundle of adds for manhood enlargement. I think you might benefit.
Thanks, but the Mantras are all I need Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy