Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which is the best alpine resort?

Poster: A snowHead
To visit in the summer?

I've always quite fancied Morzine for some mountain biking. And perhaps Whistler for the same reasons. Any other suggestions for a suitable summer holiday?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Used to have a flat in Chatel and used it often in the summer as a base for walking - fantastic scenery, flora and fauna and dead quiet with no 'get off my land' problems either.

CP
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My brother went to Morzine as part of a Uni MTB race team and said it was fantastic. I've skied in Champery and if it's as good in the summer as winter then I'd go for that
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saas Fee, Zermatt, pretty much anywhere in Austria, anywhere less than an hour from my house, Lech, Chamonix, the Massif Central, or anywhere really...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've spoken to many that have said Morzine is busier in the summer months than in the winter !! Not witnessed it myself but I think the World Mountain Bike Champs are held there around Sept/October. I really like Morzine (ISE - easy tiger !!!!) and will be moving there in Dec with my family. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Definately add Wengen to the list, if you tire of the mountains then there's the nearby lakes and even castles to visit snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great mountain biking around the Garmisch area. In fact the whole of the the area between Garmisch, Mittenwald and Innsbruck is just full of brilliant MTB routes, and huts for staying overnight. Or why not do a transalp from Garmisch down to Lago di Garda. Takes a week to ten days. Plenty of guided transalps available from Munich, but I'm not sure if there are any english spoken ones. I could try to find out if you are interested.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, how out of character for you to recommend Wengen! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, hey look if it has what is required i'll reccomend it, besides I've stayed there several times in the summer and it's very nice Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Mayrhofen in the summer years back now, and thought it was stunning. If you have been there during the winter months as well it adds a different dimension to the trip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zell am Zee is a fabulous and stunning area for a sumer hols. Everything you could want from an Alpen summer holiday; moountains, lakes, and SKIING.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, SteveG, if you're interested, I've just posted some pictures of Mayrhofen and the area from my holiday last week - just as a taster of the winter scenery at least. This valley also has the Hintertux glacier for summer skiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hayley t, Fantastic pictures, brings back a few memories Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt is fantastic; I would say it is (relatively speaking) a better summer resort than it is a winter resort, and it's a pretty good winter resort. There are something like thirteen (don't quote me on that) 4000m+ peaks around the valley, so the views from easily accesible heights are astonishing. Several glaciers, including the easily accessible Gornergrat (dont know how that works with a mountain bike, though), a good lift system, good pubs on the mountain and the Matterhorn; what more do you want? Too many people in the town, but it thins out pretty quickly once you're more than 50 yards from a lift.

Serre Chevalier area is also excellent. Although it has less spectacular immediate environs than Zermatt, the Parc des Ecrins is a superb wilderness with some dramatic geography.

Klosters/Davos has a good lift and train set up for getting around. We saw a lot of mountain bikers there, so I assume it's good. Davos is pretty charmless, but Klosters is pleasant.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deux Alpes is my favourite. Although Les Arcs has plenty to do as well, and last July I skied virtually alone on the little La Plagne glacier - fantastic.
snow report
Being a climber (or at least, I used to be), I have spent many a summer in the Chamonix valley. Not exactly the most relaxing place but if you want walking/climbing amongst stunning mountains then it's got to be experienced at least once. The mountain biking is not as good as in other places, such as Morzine.

I have mates that keep returning to Morzine for the biking. It does eat bikes though and so be prepared to replace bits that break - (brakes, in particular, take a lot of abuse due to the huge descents).

I have spent a week in Les Deux Alpes, boarding on the glacier and doing some via ferrata and climbing as well. We didn't go mountain biking but saw many people that were. Was pretty lively in the evenings due to the glacier skiing.

Not exactly fitting your original criteria, but what about the Dolomites? Stunning areas for walking and if you fancy via ferrata, there are loads of routes of all standards. We stayed in Cortina a couple of years ago. Foolishly we thought that it would be like Chamonix and full of fellow outdoor sports nuts, but we felt a bit out of place walking through the high street in shorts, t-shirt and sandals while all of the Italians were promenading in their finery. Great mountains though.
snow report
I've had great summer weeks in both Lauterbrunnen & Courmayeur (Val Ferret & Val Veny are both beautiful valleys). I'd fine it hard to come up with a place that wasn't worth a visit in summer. Everywhere has walking/biking and climbing of some sort.
latest report
We've had fantastic family summer holidays in Courchevel ... the bureau des Guides really put themselves out, with via ferrata, squirrel runs, accro-bungee, indoor climbing etc. And of course fantastic walking (2 day trip to the refuge above lac merlet, staying overnight, was the highlight of last year's trip) and mountain biking and swimming.
ski holidays
That reminds me, at the top of the Zerotta chairlift is an open air (heated) swimming pool with an uninterrupted view of Monte Bianco. Reachable by that chairlift, but even nicer if you walk up.
snow report
And I forgot to mention the artificial beach constructed at the Croisette (where all the ski schools meet in front of the main lift station) featuring volley ball courts ... and brave souls playing in shorts and bikinis Shocked
International ski jumping at le Praz in August was pretty good too ... interesting when they slide off the ceramic onto the grass. country show atmosphere, complete with beer tent and bouncy castles, only instead of cattle and horses you get ski jumping followed by a slap up meal in a tent and the most fabulous fireworks reflected in the lake ... I could go on ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy