Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meiringen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to be teaching a school group in Meiringen shortly. Anyone know the area? Got any useful info?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only been there for hill walking in September a couple of decades ago. They claim it's where the Meringue was invented. On the other side of the valley, you'll find the Reichenbach Falls (of Sherlock Holmes/Moriarty fame). The railway out of the town is the only metre gauge line run by the SBB – at least it was 20+ years ago (the others are/were private). The Hotel Du Sauvage has/had an impressive "Belle Époque" restaurant.

None of which, I'm sure, is of any help to you Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Bidmi (where the nursery slopes are), don't take relative novices up the chair without checking the blue (piste 6) really is open: the alternative red can be a little challenging. Also piste 6 is pretty flat. Getting on the 2nd part of the gondola at Bidmi can be quite a queue first thing (hence the temptation to take the chair). Runs off Hochstrass are good for later in the week.

The walking path from Reuti back to the bottom is skiable - but not with the kids as parts through the trees are *very* narrow and it is technically off-piste.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in Hasliberg at the weekend, with 50cm of fresh to play in Very Happy

This was my first time in the area, and it looks a good choice for kids with a fair choice of easy runs to explore with great views. There was a huge amount of fresh snow on the upper part of the mountain, although the lower pistes were getting scrapped out pretty quick. The blue runs down to Twing are a little annoying with a lot of uphill sections, and the antiquated bubble on the way backup has the smallest slots for your skis I have ever come across (ended up carrying them inside). It was still snowing on Saturday and the upper part of the mountain was either closed or covered in fog, but sadly the trees lower down are all out of bounds (nature reserve) despite beautiful steep glades Sad Sad The restaurant at Magisalp looks a bit off-puttingly modern inside, but the food was excellent; the one at Gummenalp is also good and has more character. If the weather is clear the 360 degree view from the Alpentower is pretty impressive. There are also a lot of sledging options, although sadly I didnt get to try them! Good steep off-piste from the top of the Glogghus lift when it eventually opened on Sunday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi ccl , I’ve spent a few weeks in the past teaching groups at Meiringen so have a little knowledge about the area, although its small compared to some places but there is still plenty of scope for use as an instructor.
The only thing I would advise is that if you have complete beginners or weak beginners the only place to start is at Magisalp, there is a short learner’s area there with a drag lift. Once they are quite happy there then they can move onto piste number 14 which is a fairly gentle green where you will find lots of other instructors and groups ploughing around. Towards the end of the run you have a choice to keep left and get a T bar back to Magisalp or bear right and follow and track around to Bidmi, and from here there is a bubble back up to Magisalp.
The rest of the area is mostly reds although there only short steep sections on these, most of them could almost be classed as blues, especially two of the reds from the Alpentower, pistes 18 and 19 if I remember correctly, they have a couple of steep pitches at the top but then open out into nice wide pistes that are good for getting your clients carving. The black run down from the Alpentower although steep is quite wide and strong intermediates should find it a nice run.
One little word of warning if you are across at Kaserstatt there is a T bar there, lift C I think, the last 150m or so of that lift is quite steep and it’s not unusual to see weaker skiers fall off on this part and slide down and take out a couple of people behind them.

Hope this helps
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All very helpful - thanks so much to you all. I'm hoping to get time to recce the area for a few hours and already I am saving time with so much useful info.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 5-02-10 12:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wish I knew how to avoid these mutliple postings Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ccl, While it doesn't help to avoid them, if nobody else has posted after you when you ntice, you can actually delete the latest post (then the one before it, etc.), rather than just editing out the text.

Next to the "edit Post" button, there is a "delete post" button - only visible on the most recent post of yours, if it has not been replied to.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks - I hadn't noticed that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't remember a great deal about the Meiringen slopes, except that the black run down from Alpentower was one of the worst runs I have ever done, being a long, unpisted and mogully black with no way out once you've started on it. I did catch it on a particularly bad day, when the visibility was only 10m or less, but still I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's learning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, it was a successful week with a group of beginners ending up being able to plough, basic swing and in one instance parallel their way down blue runs without falling over. Thanks again for the useful info. I enjoyed the resort although it wouldn't suit for a personal holiday. The only real pain was queuing for the cable car to get up in the morning and queuing to get down again at the end of the day. The views over to the Eiger and the Mönch were impressive and quite varied depending on the weather.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy