Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go next year - daughter just passed Ourson

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Basically just after some advice/ideas on which resorts to go to next. We have spent the last two trips in La Tania and daughter (age 5) passed her Ourson this year. With ski school, she successfully tackled the horrible green run from the top of the gondola back down to the resort and then on the Saturday we bussed over to 1850 and she spent a happy few hours pootling down the green runs around there.

So now we are pondering on where to go next. We are tied in so far as we like chalet holidays (for the social aspect) rather than self catering or hotels and would prefer somewhere with childcare as we are not confident that she will be ready to ski am and pm (she is small for her age). We have been to Peissey with Ski Beat and La Tania with Le Ski.

We have had a look at La Plagne but husband thinks the creche seems a bit far from the lifts. We are thinking that Peissey would be okay as they have the nice, wide novice area at the top of the chair lift. I know that La Rossiere is quite popular with families, but I am being put off by some of the comments I have seen recently. So where else should we consider Puzzled

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaurnieBred, La Rosiere would be good for your daughter. We self-catered so am unable to recommend chalets.
La Rosiere gets a lot of stick on here. Mainly because there is one prolific supporter who has a business there and goes OTT.

or

http://www.skifamille.co.uk/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CaurnieBred, having been twice to La Ros with my now 8 year old daughter I can thoroughly recommend it as a family orientated resort, which in the 2nd week in January, is dead quite to the extent of having runs to yourself, brilliant for kids learning that!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we had two enjoyable catered chalet holidays (with ski olympic) in La Ros. It's not the place for people looking for canned entertainment or a different riotous bar every night - and whichever resort you look at, you'll find critics, because we don't all like the same things. Thankfully. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So that's it - La Rosiere. Nowhere else?? Doesn't need to be France. Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CaurnieBred, I don't know but to me it sounds like the Ourson may be a ski 'test' specific to France. It would make sense to go somewhere again which would allow the daughter to progress through the levels. The test should give an idea of where she is at, ability wise, when selecting a level for group instruction.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We got on great with our children learning at Les Arc 1800 (7 & 5 at the time). in a self catering apartment, but learners area was right outside. No green runs though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CaurnieBred, These tests are specific to France and I believe ESF so you would need to go somewhere with an ESF presence. We have a great ski school here in Montalbert (ESF) and lots of appropriate runs to progress to Flocon the next level. Mouth Junior (3 years and 1 month) is now working towards Flocon around the slopes of the village and La PLagne. But anywhere with ESF will be fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think it matters that much if you change country and therefore ski school. My son got an international ski school qualification the first year and then flocon (esf) last year. As it happens we went to La Rosiere last year and my son was awarded his flocon (the badge your daughter will be on next) there. We stayed in Les Eucharts area and had a fantastic holiday. Our son was able to ski the blue run from the top of the La Rosiere chairlift comfortably by the end of the week and other blue runs. The main part of La Rosiere has more in the way of green runs, easy button lifts so you may want to base yourselves there. Esprit have lots of chalets in that area and would have afternoon childcare options. We booked our children in for ESF lessons plus lunch club which gave us enough time to ski to La Thuile while they were in lessons. I think the comments over difficult drag lifts applied to the La Thuile side and I think your daughter would find those too much and you would be better off sticking to La Rosiere while you are skiing with her.
La Rosiere is a great family resort and certainly worth going to once. We liked the Eucharts area because the self catering accommodation was very luxurious with lovely pool complex and there was hardly any traffic, ski to and from the door. There was also an ice rink, bowling alley, lovely tea shop with teddies and nice pizza restaurant. Self catering doesn't have to be hard work.. we ate out most of the time and enjoyed having more space than you'd get in a chalet or hotel.

I'd also recommend Les Arcs and Puy St Vincenct (snow bizz) although the latter is only available self catering and does International ski school qualifications.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaurnieBred, one reason people haven't mentioned other countries might be your preference for catered chalets - overwhelming majority of those are in France. Also, I think ski school in Austria is all day, which might not (or might....) suit your family.

Your wish to be in a catered chalet also rules out a lot of small French resorts (such as the one we are in) which are off the Tour Operators' radar.

A place I've never been, but which is supposed to be good for families and with a superb learning area, is Valmorel. Maybe one to look into if you don't like the sound of La Ros?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Rosiere looked very family friendly from a non parent's point of view. Lots of greens/blues in the main La Rosiere area. Some of the drags are a bit violent, the drags to Italy aren't particularly difficult, just LONG!!!! The main accesses on the La Rosiere side were chairlifts (with drag options) when I was there 2 years ago.

La Thuile was close enough that OH could head off over there, make it all the way down to town level, buy some low light goggles and be back to meet me after ski school, so there are options if you want to head off and do less child friendly pistes while your daughter is in ski school. There were enough runs to keep OH (mile muncher who likes reds and blacks) entertained when he was skiing on his own although without me, he would have probably have run out of mileage in a group of experienced mile munchers.

The main green is treelined and quite pretty, and I really liked the blue straight down to the resort from main chair out of La Rosiere - very confidence giving for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone.

PS: We are not tied to the French system - I just put that so that DDs level was clear, but being addicted to the chalet system does really tie us to France I suppose. (And we do like smaller resorts too - have been to Les Sept Laux a couple of times with friends who live in Grenoble - but DD is also more likely to have English speaking teachers in a larger resort I would have though.) Will have a look at Valmorel as that is a new one to me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

daughter (age 5) passed her Ourson

Excuse my ignorance - but what's "her Ourson" Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just come back from Alpe d'Huez - it has a wide variety of greens adjacent to the resort of varying length and difficulty to keep you and the little one amused together.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Rosiere has only one drawback for families in that it can get windy at times and be exposed he the weathar is bad. Apart from that it is superb, even ESF are superb.
ski holidays
Frosty - ESF la rosiere Eucharts were not very good with 3 yr olds (better for older children). We went at New Year (last season). There were about 24 children in piou piou mainly french, only 3 English with a few teachers. It was freezing as there was no sun in the snow garden in the mornings and a bitter wind. We bought a balaclava for our daughter and then she was happier. The first day we skied past just before the end of the lesson and the children were standing in a long line crying mummy, maman in various languages..I nearly cried myself seeing them. There were so many children they had to wait a long time to take their turn to go down a very short slope. I'm not sure if my daughter progressed at all in the week. She stayed on for the lunch club each day and enjoyed that more.

I think La Rosiere is a great resort but the ESF nursery garden in the main area of la rosiere might be a better bet with under 5s as there is more sun on it.

With hindsight we may have been better off using Evolution 2 with our youngest (for smaller groups) but then we woudln't have had access to the creche at lunch and would have had to take the bus from Les Eucharts to the main part of the resort.

To go back to this thread the poster has a daughter of 5 and for the over 5s who are not stuck in the piou piou area La Rosiere is a great resort with lots of gentle runs and a few easy drags. Our son who was 6 when we went had a lovely ESF teacher and was able to enjoy skiing blue runs with us in the afternoon.
latest report
Mouth wrote:
CaurnieBred, These tests are specific to France and I believe ESF so you would need to go somewhere with an ESF presence.

Not really...
Ours (5 at the time) passed their 'Ourson' at New Year last year in Le Grand Bornand. Then in Feb we went to Claviere. We told the instructors (largely by pointing at the ESF card) where they were up to and they took it from there. In fact their skiing progressed really well in Claviere, possibly due to taking their first chair lifts which inturn opens up mor varied skiing. So when we went back to LGB this New Year I had a word with the ESF and they skipped the 'Flocon' level and went straight into the 1* (bronze) class which they passed. By the end of the week, they were skiing with us in the afternoons on blues and reds, including the main red home which gets quite cut up (and busy) at the end of the day.

Anyway, what I set out to say was that ski schools in different countries are quite adept at picking up where the skiers at. So don't let the fact that they started with ESF tie you to ESF. (Even if wanting a chalet makes France a likelihood)

Also, while I'm pleased (for them) that they pass their badges (so they've got something to take to 'show and tell') I'm really not fussed about what level they attain at what age. I just want them to enjoy the holidays and the skiing. I'm resigned to the fact that my kids will be better skiers than me by the age of 10 but if it takes them 'til they're 12, who cares?
snow conditions
Have a look at Montgenevre, Risoul, possibly Les Gets/Morzine. Have been to all these as a family and they have something for everyone up to confident intermediates on the slopes, some entertaining off-piste and villages are good for families with youngsters. However, would only go back to Les Gets/Morzine if we knew snow was good - little bit too low for our liking.
snow conditions
Bergmeister: Ourson is classed by ESF as having the following abilities:

Can recognise his/her ski equipment.
Can put on and take off his/her skis by him/herself..
Has used some ski lifts already.
Can control his/her speed and complete snaking turns..
An move around on skis in different ways over varied but almost flat terrain..
Can ski with skis parallel straight downhill and stop using a snowplough turn.

(A nice video here: http://www.esf.net/en/tests/enfant/ourson.html)
ski holidays
Hi Higs,

Tell me more about Claviere - we've skid for eth past 3 years in Austria and our daughter (now 6) came on extremely well so we're looking for something a bit different (ski in /out) so that we can spend more time skiing with her. It's not a name that's cropped up to me before ?
latest report
sev112 wrote:
Hi Higs,

Tell me more about Claviere - we've skid for eth past 3 years in Austria and our daughter (now 6) came on extremely well so we're looking for something a bit different (ski in /out) so that we can spend more time skiing with her. It's not a name that's cropped up to me before ?

We liked Claviere and would go back (if the deal was right) but now I'm going to damn it with faint praise....

I'm not sure there's a great deal of ski in/out in Claviere. There's some good skiing there and it's part of the whole 'Milky Way' thing (Sestriere, Sauze, Montgenevre etc) but you won't see much of it if you're limited to ski school times. The pistes are nice in Claviere with a reasonable about below the tree-line but the lifts are all a bit rickety. Montgenevre's good too but the links between the two are a bit tenuous. Getting from MG to Clav you have the choice of:
~ a long pole/walk along a flat green
~ a steep black from a lift that closes in high wind
~ a nice blue or black that leave you on the wrong side of the road in Claviere

As I said, I'd happily go back there (or Montgenevre) but it's not an unreserved recommendation.

[/u]
latest report
Hi Sev112. I can def recommend Courchevel 1850 or 1650 for you as they have some lovely blues an greens (but as we have been there for the past two years we are looking for somewhere else for a change - you know it is bad when you don't need to look at a piste map anymore . . .).
ski holidays
sev112 - My youngest is almost 5 and we are trying Montgenevre this year. You can ski claviere from there but Montgenvre appealed to us for:

1. snow record supposed to be good
2. ESF supposed to be good but also has Apeak (International ski school) - so good choice of children's lessons
3. Accommodation - have booked the new 4 star self catering - hameau des airelles which has swimming pool - can ski to door but unfortunately it will be a walk to ski school I think as that is based on the other side of the road.
4. Lots of skiing for beginners (our children) and intermediates (us)
5. Easy to get to by train - our preferred means of transport

We have been given some good advice on this forum on skiing from montgenevre to claviere and back - it will be a bit of a rush with the ski school pick up but we are hoping to ski both resorts.

Which resorts have you been to in Austria? Would you recommend any of them for us next year?!
ski holidays
Quote:

Bergmeister: Ourson is classed by ESF as having the following abilities:

Thanks - interesting.

Now we just need another snowHead to tell us "Our son has just passed his ourson...." wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy