Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone know of a resort...

Poster: A snowHead
...where you could ski in the morning, and then surf in the afternoon.

On friday night I was having a few beers with one of my friends, and the subject of moving to the mountains to live came up. I would just be happy to be in or near the mountains, but my friend who is a keen surfer, would want to be both in driving distance of a ski resort, and a good surf break. I can't think of such a place of the top of my head, I was wondering whether any other snowHeads would know.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hawaii....Big Island......but you need a super 4W jeep to get to the top of the unpisted 'piste'....and a decent pair of lungs(4,000m+)! It's not a ski resort per se but I have met people who ski there regularly. Taiwan might be a better choice as they actually have lifts. Here in Japan we can ski until July(national park facing Siberia) so the sea should be warm enough then to swim/surf. Last Sat I was boarding in thigh deep powder and in the evening had to go to a party at a beach house....we dipped our feet in the ocean on Sun morning(still drunk) even though the beach was covered with snow.....brrrrrr! Oregon might also be a possibility?????????
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you lived in Pau in France then you could manage this for part of the year. My wife lived there for a while and in Spring they would ski in the Pyrenees in the morning and then go the beach in the afternoon. It's always sounded great to me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NZ, but as I've said before, you wouldn't really want to. And it'll take at least 3hrs to drive from snow to sea.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It does depend on the weather but I've seen people swimming in Lake Annecy at Easter time. That being the case any resort within a couple of hours of Annecy, which covers all the 3 valleys and a lot of the Tarentaise. Although I've never seen any surfing on the lake.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spain's Sierra Nevada?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mt Etna would allow you to ski in the morning and head for the beach in the afternoon. However, the skiing is pretty limited and I don't think that the Med is renowned for its heavy surf!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski at Les Angles or Font Remau in the Pyrennies Orientalles in the morning, then a 1.5 Hr drive to Lucat Plage on the Med coast for some wave riding. Lucat Plage attracts a great deal of surfers, wind-surfers, kite-surfers and wake-boarders. It is my favourite beach in France.

I've not done it myself but know a few people who have, my father included!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aviemore! Ski CairnGorm in the morning, head East for a bracing dip in the North Sea. Best conditions for both are when a light westerly breeze arrives after a northerly for a few days. The theory sounds good, but...Big G says North Sea about 5Celsius this week. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hopeless, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Lebanon: It's promoted on the basis that you can ski in the morning and be in the Med in the afternoon. (I've been recently, although not for either of these activities, and can strongly recommend the place!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was a recent post on similar subject http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=98123&highlight=ski+swim#98123 Not sure about surfing potential
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's not too far from Thredbo or Perisher to the NSW coast. I've swum in the Sydney area in the middle of winter (admittedly a couple of hundred miles north) and it's not too bad...the waves are helluva a lot better than the Med as well!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My friend is very specific that not only does the ski resort have to be within driving distance of a beach, it has to be a surfing beach. I'll suggest the scotland option to him, but I don't think that the snow record there is reliable enough.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of places in California would be good for that - anywhere that is between Tahoe / Mammoth and the Pacific. You could be up in the hills or down by the sea depending on preference. There are also several places in NZ that fill the bill - bit colder though..!
ski holidays
Kramer, Only time Med has any surfing in reality is during winter months. However wave lengths being shorter makes it a pain anyway. Loads of places around for Ski and Sun in Med but little decent surf....

Try Biarritz - Pyrennees combination. Biarritz has some of best surfing around.

Beyond that in Europe , I'm lost.

US has all the combos on the West Coast ... but distances are somewhat greater than Europe !
snow conditions
lewis, you've got to be joking re: NZ (unless you're prepared to get into full steamer and still run the risk of frostbite).

Kramer Everything's "driving distance" - are we talking about, say 2-3 hrs? or 30mins, or half a day/weekend?
snow conditions
Sierra Nevada actually used to make a point of saying that you could ski there in the morning, and surf in the afternoon. I don't know enough about surfing to know where the best places on the Andalucian coast would be though - but this this: http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Spain/Andalucia/index.html
snow report
Isola 2000 is within an hour or so of Nice, not sure how much surf there is nearby though? The skiing is good there, with good off-piste possibilities and also heli skiing.

Surely though you want somewhere where you can ski in the winter and surf in the summer?
snow conditions
gregh wrote:
Isola 2000 is within an hour or so of Nice, not sure how much surf there is nearby though? The skiing is good there, with good off-piste possibilities and also heli skiing.

Heli skiing? I doubt that, over the border in Italy maybe.
ski holidays
Doubt all you like, I take it you have been there, as I have? I didn't say where the heli skiing took place, just that it was possible from Isola 2000.
ski holidays
gregh, Isola's in France and it's illegal, no need to to get your panties in a twist. You said it was in Isola.
ski holidays

The Ski School and its guide-instructors offer you to extend the winter season until May with off-piste skiing and helicopter on the Alpine massif. Leaflet available on request at the ESF desk from February.
ski holidays
Kramer,

The waves in Antarctica are big enuff to surf and I'm told it's quite snow safe. wink
latest report
Kramer,
Bournemouth or Boscombe pier for the surf and then Christchurch ski centre for the skiing! Sorted wink
Old Christchurch Road for the Apres Ski!! Cool
ski holidays
There are surf breaks on the west coast of Vancouver Island so a ski'n'surf should be possible from Whistler?

I've not been there - but Tofino I think is a beach break, no doubt there are others. Looks like it'd be a 2 - 3 hr road trip though. Any BC locals around here who know?

this assuming that there's enough snow at Whistler to do the skiing part of course wink
ski holidays
Manda, I think that by driving distance, he means somewhere that he can live where he could get up in the morning and choose to drive for either a day of skiing, or a day of surfing, without having to have an ungodly long day.

Newbie50, benjj, the Biarritz, Pyrennees combination looks like a good one.

lewis, California would also be good.

johnnyrotten, I thought about Whistler, but I imagine that the sea around Vancouver is a bit cold.
snow report
Kramer wrote:

johnnyrotten, I thought about Whistler, but I imagine that the sea around Vancouver is a bit cold.

Kramer, Advice when chatting to Extremely Canadian guides at Whistler (all local surf nuts) was that sea temps are similar to UK at that time of year - Vancouver has fairly mild winters because of the ocean currents. Which is not saying it's exactly warm though, and I suspect those gung-ho EC dudes do have balls of brass...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, If your friend lived in Sacramento, California he would be a 2 hour drive from the Tahoe ski resorts, and a 2 hour drive from surfing at Half Moon Bay (south of San Fransisco)! Not that I would want to live in Sacramento - they were fog bound for most of January! Very Happy
snow report
alan empty wrote:
If you lived in Pau in France then you could manage this for part of the year. My wife lived there for a while and in Spring they would ski in the Pyrenees in the morning and then go the beach in the afternoon. It's always sounded great to me.

Odd, I used to live in Pau! - Pau itself is a bot far it's a good two hour drive to either ski resort or beach. Youcould always go to a ski resort further west
ski holidays
Perhaps Alaska? Puzzled
snow conditions
I think there's skiing to be had in the Atlas Mts in Morocco, so that could be a good bet.
snow conditions
Yes, in Europe the western Pyrénées should be the place to go : great surfing on the basque coast, really decent skiing (though the mountain range is lower than the Alps : less vertical drop, less snow-sure).
It is correct that Pau is not that close from the ocean (2 hours drive indeed) and that Bayonne, on the coast, is not that close to the snow, but there are lots of nice towns in-between !
And forget about surfing in Nice...

Gregh, Ise : Heli skiing is indeed prohibited (in general) in France and avalaible in several French resorts : they just drop you in Italy.
snow report
philippeR wrote:
Gregh, Ise : Heli skiing is indeed prohibited (in general) in France and avalaible in several French resorts : they just drop you in Italy.

in general ? I'd be interested in where it is permitted then, than answer's nowhere to my knowledge.
latest report
ise :
Quote:

in general ? I'd be interested in where it is permitted then, than answer's nowhere to my knowledge.

Nowhere ! By 'in general' I meant 'under any circumstances', something like that, and actualy agreed whith you.
To be precise : what's prohibited is the landing of passengers on a summit. They have the right to lift off from france, and to bring you back to the heli pad, but they have to drop you in Italy or Swiss for the skiing.
Being French, english is not my first language...
latest report
Dubai
snow report
1philippeR, How nice to have a french contributor -Bienvenue

In Europe - Sierra Nevada or Pyrenees Atlantic (biarritz is difficult surfing though I understand).
ski holidays
IIRC Whitelines Magazine had an artical on exactly this subject a couple of months ago and they listed scotland as one of there 6 suggestions!!! Shocked ...I'll dig out the magazine tonight and look where else they suggested.

I also wathced a program on Extreme Sports on Sky a couple of weeks ago, where there was a halfpipe competition in the morning then the same competitors drove to the sea for a surfing competion in the afternoon...where was this?.....Norway!!!.. Shocked .The wetsuites looked about an inch thick!
ski holidays
California, LA, Newport Beach area. You can see the snow on the hills from the beach in winter. Big Bear nearest ski area IIRC.
latest report
Portland, Oregon is a pretty good place. About an hour from Mount Hood if you head east, about an hour from the Pacific if you head West. Or base yourself at Hood River, which is a pretty lively town and a stones throw from Mount Hood. Year round skiing/boarding at Timberline as well, although the glacier isn't the most exciting in the world.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy