Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

binding position

Poster: A snowHead
Recently read that many skiers would benefit from having their bindings a tad further forward. Suggestion was that retailers often don`t get it quite right. Easy to experiment if mounting is adjustable, but not with my Diamir touring bindings! What are the principles involved here? Is there sense in the above theory?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could be true. If you remember, Atomic 9.11's from a couple of years ago came out in mens & ladies models. I was after a pair for the wife but my LSS only had mens skis in. The bloke who runs it is pretty well informed and told me the only difference (other than graphics) was that the boot center line is a little futher forward to help women(who are lighter) initiate turns.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't say the retaillers get it wrong, they normally mount to the mark put on the skis by the manufacturer. The problem is that this may not be the best mounting position. Some skis - I think Head and Nordica do them - have moveably bindings, which are designed so you can decide through the day to move them forward or back depending on where you want to ski, and how.
Others, such as K2 Seth Pistols (Gratuitous excuse to talk about my pow skis) do not have one mounting mark, but a series of them. You can then decide whether you want the traditional mounting point, or something further forward. I got mine set up +1.5cm - I didn't want them too far forward, as I use them in pow, and appreciate having more in front of me to give me lift.
The mounting location can make massive differences to how the ski behaves - if I were to get another pair of Pistols (now there's a dream!) and mounted them at 0, they would be completely different beasts.
Many skiers would benefit from having their bindings up to 2cm forward of the mark, but don't go down to your local shop and ask for a remount just cause I said so. If you like your skis now, you'll probably hate them after moving the bindings.
Consider where and how you ski before making a decision on the mounting point of your next pair.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, on the ladies ski thing, there are a few manufacturers, e.g. K2, who have specifically designed skis for women. The reason for mounting a ladies binding further forward than a mans on the same ski is not to do with their weight, but the location of their centre of gravity. (I can't remember the way it goes, but I do know that's the reason!)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, you mean it's lower? ('cos they tend to be shorter). I suppose this combined with a lighter weight could be the reason.

It does make me wonder though, the center line of my boots is a good cm or two behind the line shown on my skiis And the skiis are already 4cm taller than me. I could be doing myself no favours at all. Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill, it's lower, yes, but it's also further forward (I think).
If you're in the original boots you had when you got the skis, then I'd question the mounting. If you've changed boots (or bought the skis pre-mounted/with demo bindings) then it's entirely possible you could be that far out. If I were you, I'd get a new pair of skis, 10-15cms shorter than your current ones, and get the bindings mounted normally. (I think haveing shorter skis will help more than having the bindings forward)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bug. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Move your bindings forward to aid turn initiation and increase the amount of power able to be held at the end of the turn. Moving bindings back slows turn initiation but allows skis to float better in soft snow.

ESS / ATOMIC have a system in which you move the binding forward for short wippy turns and move it back for slower wider GS turns.

You can quite safely play about with a +/- 2cm margin

Matt
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
marc gledhill, it's lower, yes, but it's also further forward (I think).

Just the opposite. Further back, in general, due to pelvis shape. Hence, moving the bindings forward and/or heels up. Nolo does not agree with the generalization of the approach, as I understand her, Fox.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bruce leggott wrote:
Recently read that many skiers would benefit from having their bindings a tad further forward. Suggestion was that retailers often don`t get it quite right. Easy to experiment if mounting is adjustable, but not with my Diamir touring bindings! What are the principles involved here? Is there sense in the above theory?

This is a far more complex question than you probably realize. The goal for best performance on a pair of skis with a particular pair of boots is to be in a 360 degree balance on them. There are tools to help do this (like the Cambell Balancer), and I have come up with some other approaches (like balancing on a PVC pipe), but the basic issue is that mass manufacturing has taken the specificity out of the process.

Here are the fundamental questions:

1) Where do you balance in your boots? This involves a number of variables, including the length of your feet, the ramp of the boots, and the boots' forward lean.
2) Where do you balance on your skis? This is primarily a function of the skis' running length.
3) What is the delta angle of the bindings? This will impact the effective balance point established in #1.

Once you know all of these, you want to place the balance point in your boots directly over the balance point on the ski. This has nothing to do with any lines on the ski or boot!

Note: this is especially interesting and sensitive for me, since I have very small feet coupled with an unusually high CoM. This makes me much more sensitive to ramp angle than most people. I am currently in the process of reducing my ramp angle to see what happens.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve, as we are fairly adaptable to change, shouldn't we be putting the binding in the, theoretically, best place and see whether we change our balance point to suit. If we balance in the "wrong" place now then fitting the binding to suit a poor position means we're less likely to improve the situation.

If that is true, and we ignore where we balance, where should a given boot/ski combination balance?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill, you're definitely on the right track! We do adapt very, very well. That is why the old adage "well, it worked for me" is pretty useless. There are some very specific, physiological issues that we're dealing with here.

We should be putting the binding in the theoretical best place. However, that best place is different for each person based on the true location of their CoM, their feet size (especially length), and those other variables that I mentioned. With that information, one can actually calculate the optimum boot ramp, etc.

In general, though, you want the balance point of your boots directly over the balance point of the ski. For many of us, that's forward of the mfr's lines on the skis.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve,
"boot ramp"? Can you elaborate?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bruce leggott, sorry, Bruce. Boot ramp is the angle of the bootboard relative to horizontal. With most boots, you can remove the liner, then remove the bootboard. If it's a full-length bootboard (and I argue it should always but, but it's not!), you can then measure the angle using a protractor or calculate it from right-triangle measurements.

That's probably more technical than you wanted tho, eh? Basically, boot ramp angle is the angle that the boot board is tilted forward because the heel is higher than the toe.

Want me to elaborate more? I can write for a while on this topic... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As you say...a complex area, this! Each separate factor would seem to affect another one (boot size, ramp angle, fwd lean of boot,CoM, sex), so is there any constant, as it were? ( I have a feeling this is tantamount to lighting the blue touch paper, and waiting for you to "go off" !!)
latest report
bruce leggott, ha! Laughing

I'll do my best to keep it short. Bascially, for most people, 3-3.5 degrees of net ramp angle is correct. This keeps the CoM over the supporting arch of the foot and keeps it from moving too close to the 1st metatarsal (MT)--the ball of the great toe. Only if you are "out of norm" (as I am!) will this not work.
ski holidays
ssh wrote:
In general, though, you want the balance point of your boots directly over the balance point of the ski.

Steve, so the ski (with boot attached) should balance at the boots midpoint? Never knew that.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, not necessarily the midpoint (which is a geometric location), but its balance point (which is a physiological location).
ski holidays
ssh, sorry for getting it the wrong way round!
ski holidays
ssh wrote:
boot ramp angle is the angle that the boot board is tilted forward because the heel is higher than the toe.

So what you;re saying is that we should be skiing in high heels? Woin;t the stillettos just punch through the crust?

Smile

I'll get me coat
latest report
ssh, stop me if I'm labouring the point, but how do you find the balance point?
latest report
nbt wrote:
I'll get me coat

nbt, I hate to break it to you, but you haven't pulled!

Marc, The scientific way to do it would be to stand in your boots on a narrow bar, and find at what position you are balanced, when in a skiing stance. But remember, different boots will have different characteristics, such as ramp angle, cuff lean, etc, so, just because you find the balance point in one pair of boots doesn't mean that it will be the same location in a different pair.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy that'll be fun in the kitchen.
ski holidays
The "gentleman" who sold me my skis/bindings said that women needed their bindings further forward because "men have their weight in their shoulders, women in their behinds!" Madeye-Smiley
snow report
does my bum look big in these salopettes?
ski holidays
Yes, but your bum looks big anyway. The salopettes are just like putting bubblewrap on an elephant...
ski holidays
NickB, the correct question is, "Is my big bum sufficiently hidden by these salopettes?"
snow conditions
The Campbell Balancer actually mounts your boots around a 360 degree pivot point so that you can find the true balance point of the boot. That said, WTFH's version is sufficient for many people, I think.

And, Marc, it is fun in the kitchen! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a minute, am I in the kitchen with just my boots on, or with the skiis attached to the boots?
latest report
marc gledhill, first just the boots, then both. If you want... Just check with the homeowner first! Wink
snow report
marc gledhill,
Quote:

just my boots on

Wear an apron too, you know how the fat splashes Embarassed
snow conditions
Cheeky, I've been losing weight.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, I thought maggi meant to protect your boots! Laughing
snow conditions
ssh, you obviously haven't seen my fat splash Laughing
latest report
Shh, Lou here. Just learned of this site and don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread. I would be careful when discussing mounting boot balance point over ski balance point. Makes it sound as if we are finding the ski position where it is weighted equally tip and tail. When using the Campbell balancer the ski is not in any way part of the system. We mount the skier's balance point over the centre of the ski running surface. Which typically is close to ball of foot/ centre of running surface. Of course this system means we ignore the mark on the ski which of course is not comparable between manufacturers or even between ski models anyway.
snow conditions
race510, Welcome to snowHeads. Would you by any chance be Lou Rosenfeld?

bruce leggott, I started this thread back in Feb re the Campbell Balancer which is used to calculate binding position.

My own Campbell Balancer should hopefully be up & running in a few weeks.
snow report
The OP mentioned that perhaps a lot of skiers may benefit from having their bindings mounted forward of centre.

Could the opposite also be true?

I'm curious as i've always hated having my bindings mounted forward of centre, as this has always made my skis feel too turny, squirrely/unstable in a straight line. At lower speeds their ok making life easier in the turning department, but as soon as you throw terrain and speed into the mix I would rather have the stability of back of centre mounted bindings and put more effort into steering my skis.
To me it feels the same as skiing in a snowdome compared to skiing on a real hill. Very different animals.
Does anyone else feel this way?
snow conditions
Quote:
I would rather ... put more effort into steering my skis.

I used to feel that way until I saw that Ogi and ssh were going faster in a slower line. When I went through this self-debate I reasoned the same way you did. Sure enough I chickened out of having them forward.

Post #10 (short turns require more flex!) is really key there. I was lazy.

When I went back to factory, they became just as bland as the next pair. Wish I hadn't.
snow conditions
comprex, Your m8's Ogi & ssh skiing faster in a slower line could just be technique differences. Don't give up just yet on the aft mounting.

At the beginning of the season I was being told off by my instructor for riding my sidecut too much and using my @ss as a pendulum Laughing This I felt was encouraged by the forward of centre mounting of my bindings. As soon as I popped the bindings behind the centre line I was forced to flex and get forward out of the back seat to get in the sweet spot of my skis. Perhaps now I have changed maybe I would be able to handle the more forward mounting better. I'll give it a try next i'm at the snowdome.
Only thing that worries me about the forward mounting is that I feel you will find your skis speed limit a lot sooner. This is important to me as I do like to be in a hurry commuting the pistes Very Happy

You say your skis felt bland when going back to the factory centre mark? Perhaps they felt this way because this made the skis behave as if they'll do less of the work for you and you'd have to participate more?
snow report
The 'blandness' was a definite lack of a firm lock into carve at turn exit. This actually reduced my sensation of the skis' stability and I skied slower.

Technique might just be the core issue here: I can control initiation very, very well with the toe side (mostly I use ILE, sound familiar?) but my heel pressure precision may need heaps of work.

(Actually, this has me thinking of the ankle-eversion thread, maybe my heel pressure is too on-off on the -inside- foot).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy