Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Alps on Good Friday ?

Poster: A snowHead
Have the opporutinity of a last minute(ish) trip during the first week of the Easter Holidays. We're a family of 4 so driving is much more economical than flying at this time.

Am just a bit concerned what the volumes of traffic will be like driving down to the alps on Good Friday then returning the following Saturday. Would intend to take a late morning / midday crossing from Dover, returning the following Saturday evening.

Does anyone have any experience of Easter driving ... am I letting myself in for a nightmare journey ?

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously I don't drive from Calais or anything but I do drive places on Good Friday, the traffic's typically not bad. It's going to be day trippers on the road, most people staying for the week will be going on Saturday. Where are you going?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did it last year, and will again this year - don't remember it being particularly bad, and you avoid the dreaded Saturday changeover jam. Of course getting to Dover may be another matter ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This year could be different with traffic. Because Easter is so early & at the moment theres not much sun in the Med to rush for. When Easter is late the Germans tend to drive straight through Austria to Italy for the sun .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check for delays at Calais with the ferries as they are still having porblems with the berths. Operation Stack has been implemented several times recently wityh the last only yesterday
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info.

ise, not sure where we're off to yet, trying to find an apt in a family orientated resort. Currently considering Morillon, Saint Francois Longchamp, La Norma amongst others, all of which I can get a decent 3* apartment near to slopes and nursery for under £200, not bad for Easter !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith, Morillon should be good for Easter, we may be over there if I can convince myself it's not going to be busy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith,

Due to the continuing problems with berths in Calais the ferries can vary hugely in the delays.
If you travel at night you should expect minimum disruption and sometimes no delay at all. But 40 mins is common. That has been typical for the last few weeks.
Some of the daytime delays have been much worse.
Last info was 2 berths for P&O and Sea France and a smaller berth capable of taking only Sea France but that does help in that the Sea France ship is one less ship to have to 'stack'

No issues coming back unless weather plays a part in docking at Dover as Calais will want to/have to clear their berths asap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, what is Operation Stack?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, Just how busy do you reckon it'll be ? We usually ski in January (this year in La Ros courtesy of Mr Trax) when queues don't exist but I was in Chamonix last weekend and had to queue for the lifts, not too keen on that idea but everyone else was doing it so I just joined in.

Have a few considerations about the 'busyness':

i) numbers in ski school class for my 7 year old son (David, if you're reading this, the b!*&h is letting him come this time)
ii) availability of a place in nursery for 3 year old
iii) frequency and extent of queueing for lifts.

Also ise, is it likely for the runs down to the village and the links to be open at this time?

Finally, does anyone know of a good cheapish place to stop off enroute somewhere between reims and Dijon (could only get a 3:15pm crossing but can't complain at only £80 return). Please don't suggest Formule1, tried that at Ferney Voltaire near to Geneva in January when the airport was closed .... missus took one look inside then booked into the Novotel next door.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond,
Operation stack is when they queue all the HGV's on the motorways approaching Dover 'cause they can't board the ferries ... at least that's what they said on 5Live this morning.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond,

When the Tunnel or Ferries have problems getting their traffice moving, lorries are 'parked' on the M20 from Jcy 11 to 12, the tunnel entrance. If it is a ferry problem then the M20/A20 further on might also be used. Cars can get through this but need to travel on the old A20 but lorries are queued. In effect the M20 from junction 10/11 -12 etc are used as a giant lorry car park. Cars are often caught up in this as well. It involves co-ordination between the ports/ferries ops, tunnel and police. It is a well practised operation now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith, JT, thanks. Sounds like a lot of fun for all concerned.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT,
Are these berthing problems at Calais expected to last long ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, It is a reasonable indication that there is a real problem with the ferries. Cars can get through to the ports, but often with big delays. Perhaps consider pre booking on a ferry that isnt going to Calais as this is where the problem originates
ski holidays
Mark, glad to hear you're getting a trip with your son. Try Campanile or Premeire Class hotels there are a number around Rheims and Troyes. Go to www.envergure.fr you'll find details of all their hotels and you can book on-line. Have a good trip.
snow report
masmith,

Calais port don't want to say how long they will only have a reduced amount of berths working.
I have a feeling that this will run for a few more weeks yet. Only berths 3, 5 and 8 are running
and 3, I believe, is for smaller ships.
Dover has 7 berths running but one operator from Dover goes to Dunkerque.
ski holidays
Quote:

Are these berthing problems at Calais expected to last long ?

,Till after the ski season finishes I suspect. Delays are both ways today approx 6hrs Dover and 4 hrs Calais. I have also head that some ferries are waiting off Calais for Berths to become available. And guess what ...the wind is strong.
latest report
Big advantage this year with Easter is that while the Brits have their Easter hols 26 - 02 the French don't start theirs until 9th April so the resorts shouldn't be too busy and likewise with the roads.
snow report
We're going this Friday (arriving Sat) to Arcs 1800. Anyone got any experience of what the week before Easter is like for driving?

I'm expecting it to be pretty quiet, but then again I was expecting Centre Parcs in the middle of November to be pretty quiet. Never seen so many kids that should have been at school! Having looked at the school holidays for Europe it appears that no countries are on holiday next week! snowHead
snow report
m00958,

Can only tell you what I can see on the M20 and that is that 'Stack' is still in operation and may be for the next few weeks. There are two parts to this depending on the volume of traffic. The main part is that jcts 11-12 are blocked off and used to stack. This means that travel to the ports are via the A20. This adds about 10 mins to the driving time and I have not seen any jams here. If the port load is high then they may close jcts nearer to Maidstone but I haven't travelled that part when stack is in operation there
Expect delays on the Calais ferries which should be at their least overnight.
snow conditions
If you check the Bison Fute calendar it will tell you the expected traffic levels for your dates:

http://www2.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/dossiersdepresse/calendrier2005.pdf
ski holidays
I'm out of dover on the Thursday and called P&O today to check the likley situation. They said all the work should be completed by 18th March and hope that Easter should run smoothly.

Also found one way with the tunnel for £45 leaving at 2130 that night, so if no positive news on 18th, I think I'll be going underground.
ski holidays
davidof, I might have imagined or dreamt (!) that the Bison Fute site or perhaps one of the other traffics sites is also available in English, do you know of any. My French isnt quite up to it i'm afraid Sad
latest report
Calais have another berth up and running for a week so that will improve things until they retire a berth next week for a 'few days'. It is not expected to be out long but will add to delays and frustration. Also, Calais are planning a strike late wed for 24 hrs apparently....

You wouldn't believe it...!!!!
snow report
JT, I'd believe anything about the French unions Sad
ski holidays
D G Orf,

Words fail me about Calais, we should have bought it years ago...but then could you ever see the French selling it to the Brits...!!!

I'm off to your part of the world, Engelberg, on sat, do you know it at all..?
snow report
JT, well we used to own it, should never have given it back
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, but we did get our own back a few years ago when we sold them Newhaven!
snow report
So lets assume that we can get past Dover and Calais then continue our journey to the Alps. We've opted for a stay in the Maurienne valley so need to get on the A43 after Chambery but not sure of best route up to Chambery.

Have checked on Autoroute and viaMichelin as to best route. Both are the same up until Dijon, then:

- Autoroute takes me down the A31 motorway via Beaune and Macon towards Lyon, then onto Chambery on the A43 (motorway almost all the way).

- viaMichelin thinks it's better to go on the A39 from Dijon bypassing Dole and Bourg en Bresse, then the A40. It then leaves the major roads and goes on the N75, joining the N504 at Amberieu-en-Bugey for a 78km stint towards Chambery. This cuts Lyon out and on paper is shorter and quicker ... but is it really ??

Anyone have any advice about either of these two routes (or any alternatives). Speed is of the essence (within the law) but a short break from the motorways would be welcome as long as it's not an arduous single carriageway stuck behing HGV's, tractors and 2CV's. After Chambery it's straightforwad .... back on the motorway.

In terms of time for rush hours etc, Operation Stack aside, we should be leaving Calais early/mid afternoon on Friday 25th, hoping to get to Dijon for an overnighter, then continue fresh after brekky on Sat.

Thank you.
ski holidays
masmith, Head for Lyon, do not be tempted by what looks like a short cut on the map, it is slow and dire.

I took the via Michelin route before Christmas down to Villaroger ( Les Arcs ) and it took 10 hours from Calais. The longer distance route, as per Autoroute, only took 9 to get back on Christmas Eve.

CP
ski holidays
D G Orf,

Not sure we could actually do anything about it at the time, but I know what you mean!
latest report
Mark, second CP's comments A31 is the best route, from memory the A40 has some of the most expensive toll sections in France. The N75 can get very congested and a lot of it isn't twin lane.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
davidof, I might have imagined or dreamt (!) that the Bison Fute site or perhaps one of the other traffics sites is also available in English, do you know of any. My French isnt quite up to it i'm afraid :(

aghhh those damned frenchies - if GF is the 25/3 it is classed as difficult with lorries being restricted. It will probably just be heavy traffic at certain pinch points like Paris and Lyon. Not many people go skiing at Easter in France so it shouldn't be bad if you come down thru Dijon then take the back motorway to Bourg en Bresse.
snow conditions
masmith, the Campanile at Troyes may suit your outward stopover. I took the viaMicheiln route on half term Friday and had no problems apart from a delay at the Chat Tunnel whilst everyone slowed down to create the enforced gap distance. It seems to me that traffic builds up almost anywhere these days for no apparent reason and seemingly at random - eg on my drive to work Monday was completely clear, Tuesday a nightmare - what changed? beats me. so you takes yer pick and hope for the best I reckon rolling eyes
ski holidays
Dr Who, pray tell why you did not use your tardis and travel instantaneously from South Mordor?
latest report
He can't it's sprung a leek and is stuck in Cardiff.
latest report
Ray Zorro, moreover, why didn't he arrive a week before he left, to avoid the half term crowds?
snow report
Ah the cunning devil is on the move - see new location.
Can he give us an update on the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Any good for a chocolate chaud au rhum Puzzled
snow conditions
I was a bit confused by the time travelling and actually meant to say half term Saturday rolling eyes
I see you've spotted that they've decided to film in my home town on Gallifrey, in deepest Grangetown and Splott no doubt.

Chocolat verte (green Chartreuse in hot chocolate) is an excellent inter-dimensional lubricant.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy