Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze d'Oulx

Poster: A snowHead
Yippee....just booked a bargain to Sauze, so two questions....

Anyone stayed at Le Torre Hotel? What's it like?

Weird flights....we're flying into Chambery instead of Turin, anyone done this before? What's the transfer like?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Urghhh Don't want to poor water on your excitement but the transfer from chambery will be long - Sauze is only 1 hour from Turin, where as its also just over a hour from Serre Chevalier so if you can find out how long it takes to get from Chambery to SCyou can just add 1 hour on !!

Don't know what the hotel is like - but am sure you will have fun !!

The skiing is very easily graded and cruisy - depends what you like - Have you been to sauze before ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went a while back so we know the skiing, we're looking forward to seeing how we've improved since we were there!

Did an AA route thingy which says that the transfer would be only hour & a half if they use the motorways but over three hours if they don't! So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of which way they'd choose to go - the cheapest I imagine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We booked a bargain to sauze last Feb and ended up in the Hotel Torre, we had a great time, the rooms were good with a great view from the window as we were quite high up. The food was very good, look out for the entertainment at dinner - very strange - unless you can speak Italian and then it probably makes perfect sense!! The bar wasn't very comfortable though but it is only a short walk to the bars and the hotel operates a free bus shuttle to the sportinia lift all morning.

Wish we were going again, hope you enjoy!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks snowbabe....always reassuring to find someone who's been there! Can't speak a word of Italian so perhaps I'll pass on the "entertainment".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
homphomp, when are you going? I'm going there myself on the 28th March.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Off on the 14th....less than a week to go!! Should be getting some work done in the meantime but I'm having much more fun here at Snowheads!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're off there on the 21st!! cannot wait, booked about 2 months ago and have been checking the snow forecast daily ever since!! If they are even half correct the snow should be about perfect for the rest of the month. Never been before so can you give me any suggestions? best runs, bars etc. There is 3 of us in the group, all intermediates, 1 skier and 2 boarders.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Danger-29, as you're all intermediates you'll love the area, lots of cruisy runs - you should definitely make a point of going over to Sestriere and to Sansicario as the runs on these sides are great. Your boarder mates may have a bit of trouble with some of the really long drags, paticularly the lovely kinked one over to Sansicario - although its a year or two since I was there so they may have upgraded one or two as they improve ready for 2006! Have a great time...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks and you. It was my boarder mates that chose Sauze so they ll have to put up with the drags!! We re staying at the Sportina hotel. Has anyone heard of it or stayed there? I think its in the centre, quite a way from the lifts but hey, its closer than i am now!!! Its forecast for a heavy dump tomorrow, lets just hope they're right.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Danger-29, If you like skiing then the sportina is a wonderful choice. It's on the piste at the top of the first lift. Not so good if you're after nightlife I'd have thought though as you're stuck there unless they run a transfer for you.

I think its a good call. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thinking of going to Sauze D'Oulx over New Year (as it's one of the few holidays I've found that we can get for Mon to Mon). What are people's thoughts on the resort and skiing?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
Thinking of going to Sauze D'Oulx over New Year (as it's one of the few holidays I've found that we can get for Mon to Mon). What are people's thoughts on the resort and skiing?

Sauze can be cheap and cheerful. There is a lot of skiing available at reasonable costs. It is fairly lively at night. Snow record is not great though. Have a look on the SCGB site for historical snow records.

Claviere and Montgenevre are best looked at as a separate area. It takes a long time on skis to get from one end of the Via Lattea to the other. Best to get transport to do the other side.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just had a look at the Pas thread and I would recommend Sauze. The actual town itself I found quite pleasant, much nicer than Pas, also not too rowdy at night. Admittedly we were in the Hotel Splendid which is out the Centre up near the Clotes lift.
I would say the liveliness of Sauze is about on a par with Soldeu.

You also have the option to travel elsewhere if the snow is poor in Sauze. Val T is allegedly only about and hour or so's drive away.

A big advantage of Sauze over Pas is that the transfer from Turin is just over and hour.... compared to 3 or more to Pas!

Skiing wise, I can't say too much because we went in an unseasonably warm spell and there was only really one run open. It was however a nice run and kept us entertained for a couple of days.

If the snow is a little better you can ski to Setriere which generally has better snow conditions, as well as a larger quantity of more challenging runs.

Down side - the beer is a little more expensive. You are looking at about 4.5 euros for a pint!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to be there next week, (friend's appt).

'Unseasonably' warm weather isn't that unusual. Lively compact centre, lot's of bars and restaurants. Some ancient lifts and a couple of key connections. You can do Montgenevre on snow but to be on the safe side it's virtually there and back with no stop and you spent most of it on lifts and there's a lift supplement for Montgenevre. Also a lot of drags and one key drag lift to get back. Not for beginner boarders really.

If it's not high season, you like cruising and you get the weather it's great.
ski holidays
Which would be the best bet for snow over New Year week - Pas de la Casa or Sauze?
latest report
I don't think there is much difference. *Traditionally* Andorra struggles early season, but in my 6 years skiing, I think Andorra has been ok at christmas. Someone mentioned that Sauze is known for suffering from occasional snow droughts (such as this year).

I think the key point is that if there is no snow in Pas, it is unlikely there will be snow elsewhere in Andorra. However, if there is no snow in Sauze, there is a good chance that there will be skiing within day trip distance.

I'm sure someone else knows better than I do wink
snow conditions
I went in 2002. Snow wasn't fantastic early in the week but it dumped midweek and we had some good snow but it got cut up quite quickly during the day. Not a bad place, mainly renowned for it's nightlife which didn't dissappoint.
latest report
Beanie1 we've just booked up for the very same reason ...Mon to Mon skiing to best use compulsory holiday time over the New Year period. We found the trips available limited as many Tour Operators are on a Sat to Sat schedule. There were other option but not as many as in Sauze.

I skied there 18months ago and had a great time. Hope to get to Montgenevre and back this time though. We are in the Hotel Hermitage next to Clotes Ski Lift. Nice town, decent bars/restaurants, big ski area - just hoping for good snow conditions and we'll be well happy.

Still trying to make our minds up for Feb and March Trips - Feb with the boys, March couples...
latest report
Who's doing MOn-MOn as friend swant to join us for NY, and they can't find flights.
snow report
Helen Beaumont,

Flights aren't the problem, not from up here anyway. Last time I checked Easyjet Liverpool to Geneva were £150 for Mon to Mon. The problem is the accommodation, i guess that's why the flights are still so cheap.

What airport are they trying to fly from?
ski holidays
Got back after week out there. They're busy (very busy) replacing the crappy 2 seater (Clotes) and they've built a big lake at Pian della Rocca. Presumably so they can blow snow if required. Also heard they're relacing one of the crappy two seaters that link over the valley from Italian (Sansicario) side over towards French bit but didn't get to see that.
snow conditions
NickW, All sound good with the lifts, replacing the Clotes was way overdue. I wish they had re-
built the restaurant at the Rocca. But snowmaking is obviously more important. Roll on 9th Jan, girly trip to Sauze Laughing Just hope the snow is better than last year rolling eyes
ski holidays
Changing that lift will make such a difference to the place, especially for the people staying up near the Clotes lift (splendid etc...)
ski holidays
beanie1, they live near Luton, the accomodation is their problem too, I thought maybe a TO was doing it so they could book a package. They have to spend Xmas with her father, as her Mum died earlier in the year.
snow report
I spoke to a guy at Iglu and he said for Mon to Mon packages this year the options are Turin and any resorts near it, or Andorra. Silver Ski are doing Mon to Mon for Frnace, but they have practically nothing still available.

I guess if your friends want to join you though they can't be flexible! Have they looked at companies that do weekend packages? Or there is a company called Flexiski, names says it all, but I don't think thye are in many resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy