Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz & Grand Bornand

Poster: A snowHead
Long weekend (4 days on the slopes) early Feb. Tips, tricks, do's & dont's?

Perleeze
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you staying? How many of you? What are you looking for?

I know LGB quite well - was there for new year (4th week there in the last 3 years) and will be back again Easter.

It's at least 7 years since I've been to La Clusaz.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some info here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58437&highlight=
and here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49208&highlight=
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one. Staying in the Aravis Lodge in St Jean de Sixt. Two of us, one skier one boarder, both perfectly competent, spend most time on red and blacks, not averse to some back country and some smooth blues back home after a sundowner or 2, obv. Looking to blast the area for the first three days then pick our favorites for the fourth.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I reckon you could blast LGB in a day.
La Clusaz is a bit bigger - maybe more than a full day to tick it all off.
Perhaps you could do day 1 in LGB, days 2&3 in La Clusaz and then decide how you want to spend day 4.

I know this isn't a help but I was told that the stuff in the Beauregard area of La Clusaz is better either morning or afternoon. Annoyingly I can't remember which but it probably depends a lot on time of year, conditions etc.

For your day at LGB I would park in town rather than going round to Chinaillon. Go up the bigger gondola (Rosay, not Joyere), ignore the Joyere area completely unless you have a beginner with you. Then you have a choice...

If you want a bit of a warm up take green 'Serpentine' (no poling required) to blue 'Cyclamen' then the Outalay lift, red 'Gentianes' to the Floria lift. From here there are three options into the Maroly valley - Black 'Couloir Sonnerie' and the reds 'Dames' and 'Tolar'. Dames is IMO a 'dark red' (you often see people with that 'WTF am I doing here?' look). Tolar is fast, smooth and normally well maintained - can get crowded. Once in Maroly the reds off the Maroly lift are nice - again fast, smooth, at the easier end of the spectrum. To get back to LGB, take the Tolar lift then red 'Les Lanches'. From here you can go up Lachat for more good stuff.

If you don't need a warm up you could go straight up Lachat from Rosay. From there you have a choice of red 'Gypaete' - often left unpisted at the top if you like bumps - red 'Piste 2000' quick way into Maroly - red 'Les Lanches' drop you back where you started - black 'Lachat' cuts onto Les Lanches.

If there's enough snow to get back to town the best way to start 'Envers' is from the Rosay area, rather than Joyere.

I wouldn't recommend any of the mountain restaurants over the rest - they're all fine. Each has their own character. I can't think of one I'd either avoid or make a special effort to head for.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr John, You've chosen well. Paul and his team do a great job there at Aravis lodge. The food and hospitality is magnificent and you're positioned ideally to make the most of Grand Bo' and La Clusaz. Try the Deux Guides in Grand Bo' for some authentic apres ski atmosphere.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Sparks wrote:
Dr John, Try the Deux Guides in Grand Bo' for some authentic apres ski atmosphere.

+1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are into reds and blacks you need to be iin the La Balme area of La Clusaz. Acres of powder - natural jumps and safe off-piste - It's the playground of candide and his mates and you will see why once you are up there. If you want a taste of the back country hook up with some guides from aravis Challenge strap on the trancievers and head over to Bellachat or Borderan! awesome!!! Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski 20-30 days each year in GB and La Clusaz.

My favourite area is La Balme at La Clusaz - fabulous freeride playground. The long black (La Vraille) is superb. The Etale area is also excellent. If you are skiing the day there start on the Beauregard, ski down to L'Etale area, cross over to the Aiguille then end up in La Balme (which can be very cold in the morning). The off piste opportunities around La Clusaz can be awesome to - but best to take a guide 1st time.

Le Grand Bornand has a brilliant variety of terrain. The Noir Lachat is very steep and a bit scary at the very top- then there are some lovely long reds (Piste 200, Marolly, Tolar) and blues (Terre Rouges, Les Annes)

Restaurants I would recommend:
La Clusaz: Le Berceil (best to book) and the Telemark (bottom of L'Etale)
Le Grand Bornand: Le Bournerie (best to book), Le Neve (great Pizzas) and Le Taverne - a little hiddena away gem.

You have chosen a brilliant place to go skiing where you will here few english voices!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sansnom, Agree with all you say wholeheartedly.

Love the area and very glad to be able to ski there as much as we can. Far from our initial concern that we may find we had 'skiied out' GB in a few days, we seem to be finding more to do each time we go. In addition to your list we had a lovely day on Boxing Day after they'd opened up the Annes sector, skiing some lovely off piste back down to the Duche/Annes lifts.

Dr John, You will have a great time - can't wait to be back on 23rd Jan!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spiffing advice from one and all, many thanks (and feel free to continue). I have a feeling that La Balme will be a much frequented area, guiding is included so hopefully they can show us some safe back country to play in. I've read good things about Le Bercail restaurant, so will probably book in there for one good long lunch.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John, 3 of us are in La Clusaz 30th to Feb 2nd for a short break. Recommendations for Mountain restaurants from a couple of my guide books, (I love them, and rarely let me down ) are as follows:-
Telemark - above chairlift to L'Etale - fine food
Chez Arthur ar Crete du Merle - good value
Relais de Aiguille at Crete du Loup. Booking essential Boucher stak speciality -A 60 Euro steak for 2 if you have the money and apppetite.
Bercail - good but crowded - middle of the Merle piste
La Vielle Ferme at Merdacier - good menu du jour
U' Freddy at the base of the chondola - savoyard specialities.

Hope you enjoy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, It's really nice that you drop by your thread and say thanks. So often people start threads, absorb the knowledge and p!ss off. Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Sparks, it was your recommendation that started it, so you (and the other kind contributors) go straight into my cool book.

twoodwar, cheers for the list, at least one day will feature a good mountain lunch. So have you bought your new blades yet?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All the mentioned restaurants are good - U freddy and Chez Arthur are the best value although the ones at Balme have brought down the price of the Plat du Jour to 10€ and a small coffee is only 1€ before 12. Most of the restaurants seem to have passed on the recent TVA reduction on the meals and drinks which helps!

Have a fab time. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
loatie,

If you are a GB regular we should link up sometime and ski together - I have a chalet in Chinaillon. My latest adventures have involved skinning up to the top of La Jalouvre (above the Col de Colombiere) and finding routes down into Le Petit Bornand on the other side.
snow report
Dr John New blades Puzzled I have old Skis! To a sheffield Wednesday supporter, blades are not normally mentioned in my Liverpool abode, as with the other obvious teams in the Northwest - I work in Manchester!
snow conditions
Hi there..
I've just booked a few days in Grand Bornand and could do with some advice on transfers from Geneva as they look sooo expensive. Is there anyone that does shared transfers to keep the cost down??

Any advice would be appreciated..

Puzzled
snow conditions
Sansnom, We have an apartment at the Village de Lessy so trying to get out as much as poss. Will be there with friends on 23 -30 th Jan if you are around? Not sure my off piste is up to yours but would be nice to pick your brains over a drink or two!

Our broadband connection has died at home so not able to log in very frequently atm - hopefully will catch up with you at some point though.

nagavoidance, Haven't done it myself but I think there is a bus service from Geneva to Le Grand Bornand and you can access the timetable from the Grand Bornand website www.legrandbornand.com

Also, have you looked into hire car? From Geneva to LGB is only a short journey and for a few days can be a good option if there are a few of you.
latest report
Loatie..

Thx for the reply, sadly the bus doesn't run on a Weds so it won't fit, I will look at a car but as the prices for a transfer are similar I may let someone else do the driving and enjoy the scenery!! Cheers
snow report
The Times the other day had a good article on Grand Bornand:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/winter_sports/article6979696.ece
latest report
nagavoidance, 3 of us in the smallest hire car (uncomfortable, but its a short Journey), about £150 plus petrol for 4 full days. Cheaper than taxi or transfer.
snow report
Great thread - thanks all.

Mate and I off to La Clusaz Thu 21 Jan (next week! Very Happy ) back on Sun 24th. 1st time there, heard nothing but good about it, staying at a small 1 star hotel, L'Escale as none of the others would have us for less than a week ( Evil or Very Mad ). We are both cautious intermediates so the terrain looks really suitable, plenty of blues.

Warming up for main week in Les Deux Alpes with my son in February!

Cant wait for it all now!

Flying Southampton - Chambery and hiring a car.
ski holidays
Also off to Arivas lodge for second time went last year spent three days skiing LGB last day La Clusaz this year are taking an early flight to be on slopes by midday 17 of us in total on three different flights flying out on 21st Food and company at lodge is excellent rooms are compact Best meal on piste was at cret du loop sorry cant remember name was a truly superb meal, normally you need to book
snow report
Quote:

nagavoidance, 3 of us in the smallest hire car (uncomfortable, but its a short Journey), about £150 plus petrol for 4 full days. Cheaper than taxi or transfer.

A group of 6 of us are going on 27/01 and have (randomly) booked Alps2Alps transfer for €198 return for a private minibus. http://www.cheap-airport-transfers.co.uk/index.html I can't recommend them as I haven't used them yet (Isn't adventure a wonderful thing? Shocked ) but will let you know in February!
ski holidays
testing the sms thing. Planning to update while I'm there this weekend, depending if there's any time between the slopes, the bar, the dinner table, the bar again, and much needed beauty sleep. (via SMS)
latest report
Have been a time or two and sampled most of the restaurants up on the mountain. From what I ahve seen, the one opposite the bottom of Tolar is the best.

Just wish I was back there now.
snow conditions
any word on conditions at La Clusaz? I have found myself landing in Geneva with meetings pushed back until early evening, so thinking of a cheeky 1/2 day ski either at La Clusaz or Les Gets.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy