Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy - why always the bridesmaid in its snow record?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been wondering this for the past few years?

Even in times of good snowfalls ( like NOW!! ) why doe'nt Italy get any? Has it to do with it being south of the main alpine mountain range.

Scientific and anecodotal reasons please.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I beleive it has to do with the way snow clouds form an move. As i understand, snow arrives either from Russia and most of it falls in Austria or from Scandinavia and then it mostly fall s over France/Swiss. Italy can get the most snow ithe clouds take a detour through the south-east Europe (i.e Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia) and that doesn't happen too often
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia,

Talked to guides in Monterosa who said that the area was fed by weather from the south and it comes up from the bay of Genoa. This is a different feed than, say France which explains why Chamonix and Courmayeur can have different snow levels. The Chamonards refer to this as they are often aware which valley have the better snow and why.

Only hearsay but I would expect this source to have foundation because thats his business.
And we have often juggled betwen Chamonix,Courmayuer, Cervinia and Monterosa and found this to be true at times.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes Speaking about Courmayeur at least, it generally needs a souterly feed - you'll sometimes/often see a LP system fotm in the N Med (or move in across Spain) and move east (it's not unknown for one to appear in the Adriatic and move west), and that's what's generally needed for snow in Italy - southern feeds. Anything from the North tends to cause foehn winds which are not what's wanted. People in Courmayeur say that ifd it's good in Courmayeur it's bad in Chamonix and vice versa. I think places like Cervina can do better because of the altitude - it's better for two reasons, firstly it's colder that high up generally, and secondly there's less foehn effect warming higher up with the higher, drier air being more apparent further down the valley. The latter effect may be minimal at times, though.

This year (and I've never paid as much attention before this year, so the variation in patterns may not quite be like this), the European HP has forecd many of the LPs further south and kept them weak. It has also diverted most of the northerly LPS further east. Also the E & NE winds have (as stated above) brought snow to the East, but again Italy's sheltered by the intervening range.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy