Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brecon Beacons Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Mike Pow, that sounds awesome snowHead . Fingers crossed for Saturday... Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any risk of slides ? I'm guessing not (around here - shropshire hills ) as we've not had that much and the wind seems to have been light.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today in the Brecon Beacons was as good as it gets. Anywhere.

blue skies
deserted
amazing views, even as far as the ocean which was illuminated all morning
cold, dry temps. Started off at -11, warmed to -3
packed powder all over and light, dry powder stashes. Some up to knee deep

Skied some new lines for me off Cribyn and Pen-y-Fan. There was some sloughing off the steeper spines on the NE face of Pen-y-Fan (facing Cribyn), but very manageable.

The run back to the car park was fast, smooth and creamy.

The snow's not going anywhere and more forecast for Sunday.

Saturday could be the pick of the weekend for visibility. Monday could bring more powder.

Happy days Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow, I'm giving it a go at the weekend on the local hills - hoping for good things...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, any pics?? didnt make it down, hoping for saturday now,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm probably going to try Pen Y Fan on Saturday (only ever ridden on the hill at Garwnant up that way), what's the best place to park to skin it up? Is it Storey Arms? Cheers Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
norris
Took pics. Will try to put something up later.

TotallyBoard
Either that car park or the one closer to Merthyr.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm really tempted to go up to the brecons -I just can't bear the thought of walking up to slide down
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, sounds amazing! I'd so love to try skiing that close to home, but alas I'm in Les Arcs until the middle of next week, shortly followed by a week in Austria. But I'm due to visit my parents at the end of the month. Wonder what the odds are on decent snow then?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Storey Arms car-park looked busy on the Traffic Wales Cam today, so presumably roads are passable.

I can't make the w/e, so taking a day off & hoping to head up there tomorrow - anyone else out to play?? Razz
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll be on Dawn Patrol again tomorrow morning.

Looking to head up in the dark for sunrise pow turns Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can anyone tell me what the state of the roads over in the Beacons are like?? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Looking to head up in the dark for sunrise pow turns

Wow - there's dedication: I'll try to leave around 7, so not likely to get to the carpark 'till 9ish, depending on road conditions.

Hope to see you there: I'll be on tele-kit (red Scarpa T2s/Atomic BetaRides) in case there's a load of other free-heelers around Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, weather permitting a mate and I will be there Saturday morning. Your post is exactly what I was hoping for...might be windblown slab by Saturday though or was the wind fairly light? snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mike roger
Roads are fine. Car parks unplowed and rutted.

geoffers
Will look out for you

Sharkymark
Winds were very light today except right on top of Pen-y-Fan. Hasn't got above freezing, so no crust expected. And it's been that cold - they're calling for -18 tonight - that the snow should remain dry and light.
latest report
WOW! Sounds terrific Mike.

Guessing there were some temperature inversions going on as well?

In terms of views from the top of the fan on a clear day what can you see?

I've heard all sorts of posts on the net claiming Dunkery Beacon on Exmoor and Cadair Idris on Snowdon - sounds fanciful to me but I have no experience to refute it.
snow conditions
No inversions today.

With my eyes,

Black Mountain, Black Mountains, Brecon, Swansea Bay.
ski holidays
Fascinating thread and great reading, thanks for posting all the reports - just wish I had touring kit given this is just up the road from me ... must get that sorted!
snow report
I bootpack with skis on my backpack. No problem.
ski holidays
Friday 08 January 2010

Dawn Patrol
-11 C when I started up from the 'Toilet' car park this morning at 7.20am

It was clear for about 10 mins and then it socked in. Snowing lightly, blowing mightily (at times).

No ice on the path, just bootpacked powder Smile

Dropped in just before 9 after waiting for as long as I could take it standing around hoping for some clear skies.

By the time I got down half way, the visibility got much better.

The skiing was fantastic. Smooth, wind packed powder, 5-10cm of powder on top of a firm rain and freeze crust, and frozen tussocks.

Still able to ski right back to the bridge. Easily.

By the time I'd packed up, the sun was out. Anyone heading up after I was done was in for a treat Smile
snow report
it just gets better!

what's the forecast for tomorrow. Definitely going to be there. Can't wait!

Can you park on the A470 if the car parks (assuming there's only pont ar daf - AKA toilet one and stoney arms?) are full

How long does it take you to ski down?

Also, do you not have to work? wink
snow report
Mike Pow, we're heading there for about 9:30am so may well see you on the "north face" of Pen-Y-Fan around 10:30am-ish with any luck snowHead
ski holidays
You can park on the verges on the side of the road but take a shovel.snow is great,i was up there at 9am and left at 4pm,it was getting pretty windy up there and 50mph gales have ben given for the next few days.the snows not going anywhere and more coming in sunday-tuesday.ill be up there monday am.deepest i had it was waist high snowHead
snow conditions
Missed you all today, but set off from the car park at 9am as anticipated: clouds on the top, but showing signs of clearing.

Skinned up by the path as far as I could to Corn Du, then donned crampons for the craggy bit and skinned over to Pen y Fan. Viz still not good, so not quite sure where the best snow would be (Ice climbers heading off for some action on the North Face)

Eventually the clouds hogging the summit cleared and the views were fantastic. I dropped in from the col below Pen y Fan and skiid down (presumably) the same route as Mike - excellent snow, but wishing I was on my AT kit as I wasn't too happy commiting to any t-turns on the teles: oh well wink

Skinned across to Llyn Cwm Llywch (I wouldn't recommend trying to hike this as it's deep tussocky grass under the snowpack, so was hard enough skining rolling eyes ). Then up to the obelisk and back to the carpark on some good packed pow I'd spotted on the way up.

Here's the route I took, which might be a help to anyone heading out over the w/e (may get some pics up later): all in all a great day Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 8-01-10 21:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
OK - here are a couple of shots from today's little adventure ( Thumbnails: clicky for enlargement )

Cribyn from the summit, just as the clouds cleared

Snow conditions on the route down...
snow conditions
geoffers, looks awesome snowHead That was close to the line I took last Saturday
snow conditions
wow!! That looks incredible.
ski holidays
Brilliant! amazing stuff
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nigelpm wrote:
Also, do you not have to work? wink

At home caring for my dad full-time. Alzheimer's. Get friends of his in for a couple of hours so I can go and play. My brother was home this past week hence the alpine starts Smile

sharkymark
Don't think I'll be able to make it up today. Hope you're having / had a cracker.

flow
Did you walk up from the 'toliets' car park? If so, I saw you heading up.

Waist deep walking or riding?

geoffers
Nicely done. Great pics and map. Glad you had a great day out.
snow report
MP i went up the hill and over the other side opposite the storey arms(dont know its name).waist deep walking unfortunately(still aching from it now).Should mention im a boarder boo hiss.im going up pen y fan monday,i was thinking of walking up from the side of the storey arms to the obelisk or would you suggest going straight up from the toilets car park?
snow report
Pity. Was hoping you'd found a secret stash Smile

That's Fan Fawr.

I always go up from the 'toilets' car park. Don't like the up, down, up of the Storey Arms route. I walk up in my ski boots and they're fine going up, but downhill they tend to slip and slide.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 9-01-10 19:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mike Pow, we went up to today for a few hours from 10am until about 1:30pm. It was bitterly cold, white out/blizzard conditions, 70 mph gales on the saddles with a bitterly northerly wind. We decided not to try the summit due to the wind and it's likely effect on the snow. Instead, we hiked over Cefn Crew and skied down towards the car park. The snow was very good (compacted powder) out of the wind and there was powder within the bog where the reeds stopped it being blown away. We had some really good runs and on one hike up, we ended up waist deep. Just packing for my trip to Tignes tomorrow. Awesome snowHead
snow report
Discretion is the better part of valour.

Think I'll wait until the next storm does its magic.

Enjoy Tignes.
snow report
Finally made it today. Incredibly busy as expected. Sadly conditions not great and bailed after walking up by the lake. Had some fun on a board though over the other side by the car park. Fantastic really. The way the weather changes up there makes it tough to call though. Weather forecasts were totally wrong.
snow conditions
Sounds awesome, I had to make do with the Golf Course next to my house in Praa Sands Cornwall for some smooth boarding, even taught my neighbour (surf dude) to snowboard, but isn't it just brilliant
latest report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8453029.stm
snow report
Saw that on Wales Today earlier. A couple of those kids can ski.

Weather's been pretty miserable the past three days.

The pick of the days looks to be Thursday morning for some pow

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html
snow conditions
From telemarktips

http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64677
snow report
Yes Thursday looks like it could be OK before it all warms up.....
snow conditions
This was the "clear day" on Fan Hir that the Met Office forecast for Saturday:-

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy