Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is it that you rub on your car door seal to prevent it freezing?

Poster: A snowHead
Simples Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vaseline
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, cheers - I thought it was something like that
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't overdo it though as IIRC being petroleum based it can accelerate perishing. I would check but I'm not brave enough to put vaseline and rubber together into google wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, I'm sure you could put them into something else.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some sort of silicon "rubber polish" who's name I can't remember Embarassed . I think people who know about car detailing use such things ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, ... I was a Vaseline disciple like fatbob, used it for three seasons, but found it messy & time consuming to apply & difficult to remove post Winter and it does seem to accelerate perishing. Life's too short for applying wadges of Vaseline to rubber ...

Last season I used SUPER DUPER Silicone Spray .... You too can enjoy the Silicone Experience for less than £5 including VAT .... Laughing

Top Tip ... Toofy Grin

Spray generously onto cloth & rub well into both faces of door seals.

fatbob, - be brave ... try Silicone & Rubber ... Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gummi Pflege

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=41.0
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BernardC wrote:

Last season I used SUPER DUPER Silicone Spray .... You too can enjoy the Silicone Experience for less than £5 including VAT .... Laughing

Top Tip ... Toofy Grin

Spray generously onto cloth & rub well into both faces of door seals.

fatbob, - be brave ... try Silicone & Rubber ... Laughing

Pretty much what I used seemed to work well...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vaseline does indeed damage rubber, which is why you can get alternative special lubricants for naughty purposes. Maybe you should try KY jelly on the door seals. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As said, vaseline will degrade the rubber seals. Even Halfords sell silicone spray for this very purpose. (I did all mine before godriving to St Anton a couple of weeks ago.)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The instructions that came with my sunroof suggested applying glycerine to the rubber seal twice a year - presumably to keep it pliable - but I guess that would work too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have used hair gel worked ok.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Sheen sprayed onto a cloth and rubbed into the rubber and frame does the job Very Happy
Vaseline rots the rubber surprisingly quickly Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gummi Pfege
ski holidays
You rub seals on car doors?
snow conditions
Beats clubbing seals.
snow conditions
| always use http://www.wickes.co.uk/Silicone-Lubricant/invt/432013
latest report
Local motor factors/car spares shop should be able to sell you some silicone spray. Syray the seals with that will prevent them freezing.

adrian
snow report
Thought the old joke went... "Have you blown a seal." Laughing
latest report
Definitely not Vaseline/petroleum jelly. Definitely easily available silicone spray.
snow report
http://www.freedoms-shop.nhs.uk/id-millennium-70g-p-48.html
snow conditions
Beware of anything containing silicone if you plan to ever respray / retouch your wagon. The stuff is virtually impossible to get rid of. Mechanics in greasy overalls will never be allowed near a proper spray booth for this reason.
snow report
Quote:

As said, vaseline will degrade the rubber seals. Even Halfords sell silicone spray for this very purpose. (I did all mine before godriving to St Anton a couple of weeks ago.)

And I can now confirm it doesn't work - my rear passenger door was frozen solid last night rolling eyes
snow report
Glycerin was what I was told to use... have only used it on locks to stop them icing up
snow report
Aurgh! Aurgh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8427436.stm
latest report
RobinS, ... there are Silicone sprays ... and ... there are Silicone sprays

... make sure you use a good quality one ... never failed me even with temps heading to -30
snow report
I use some thing called ACF 50, cover the motorcycle in it in winter helps stop corrosion, i put it on my door seals seems to do the job.

they use it on aircrafts
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
critch, That stuff is amazing. Use it on the triple. Developed for helicopters on aircraft carriers whose engines are exposed to salt spray.. also safe for plastics etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy