Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunday transfers mean worse ski hire?

Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine told me that Sunday transfers were a really bad idea, due to the hire shops using their best kit on the Saturday. Is this really a problem?
The way I see it, if there are lot of Sunday transfers, they won't be getting kit back from until Sunday either, so as long as there are enough it won't make any difference.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Worst i ever got was on a Monday in Chamonix - seemed like the only skis left in the rack - so much for pre-booking

Best i ever got was on a Monday in Chamonix 4 weeks later - paid of Salomon X-scream almost straight out of the wrapping

If you want teh discount by pre-booking make sure with a company with several shops in the village so you can chop and change or try the other shops.

Also some of teh better hire skis i ever got were from small non-chain shops. Again i got some brand new never skid on Equipes in Les Arcs one year in a tiny little basement shop for much cheaper than anywhere else.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomstickland, Sunday transfers might mean you get the worst snow , hotel room or instructor
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't this that should be an issue!! As said though if your worried about it don't pre book so that you can shop around in the resort!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomstickland, never been a problem for me
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As alexchapman, said, dont book and look at all the shops!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tomstickland, If you are going with a TO, then changeovers in any European region are generally all on the same day, so it won't make any difference from the ski hire point of view whether that day happens to be a Saturday for the region, or a Sunday.

But if you are travelling independently to a resort where changeover days are normally Saturdays, then it could be an issue.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's with a big operator. The ski hire is part of the package (though I had to pay £70 surcharge to get decent skis, which is what I paid anyway last year via my own booking online).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomstickland, In that case, you will find that the main changeover day for that region is Sunday.

Most likely Western Italy or Andorra, although I think there are other areas with a Sunday changeover.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
These days the shops usually have lots of good kit. Good luck.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomstickland, I wouldn't worry about it - there are many resorts where TO a transfers on Saturday and TO b transfers on a sunday. Given that a and b often will use different shops (unless tiny tiny place) then it's likely you will get the kit that's been returned by your TO's clients the day before.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney wrote:
tomstickland, If you are going with a TO, then changeovers in any European region are generally all on the same day, so it won't make any difference from the ski hire point of view whether that day happens to be a Saturday for the region, or a Sunday.

I've never heard of that before! It's all down to the TO - Mark Warner are normally on a Sunday I think irrespective of the region! I'm with Mr BB Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The shiniest looking skis I've rented were on a Sunday (brand new Rossi Cobras iirc) - twas me that put the first scuffs on them Twisted Evil
The shaggiest looking skis I've rented were on a Saturday (but had perfect looking bases/edges).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

I've never heard of that before! It's all down to the TO - Mark Warner are normally on a Sunday I think irrespective of the region! I'm with Mr BB Very Happy

I think MW are the unusual ones there.

But they can do that easily because they only seem to use "Chalethotels" - i.e. they run their own hotels, so can set their own transfer dates - and they may be able to get the flights cheaper for many places by using Sunday.

Companies booking space in independent hotls are likely to have less flexibility (although even there, you would exepct their buying power to override "normal" changeover days if they really wanted to).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
cathy wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

I think MW are the unusual ones there.

But they can do that easily because they only seem to use "Chalethotels" - i.e. they run their own hotels, so can set their own transfer dates - and they may be able to get the flights cheaper for many places by using Sunday.

Companies booking space in independent hotls are likely to have less flexibility (although even there, you would exepct their buying power to override "normal" changeover days if they really wanted to).

No they are not the unusual ones - whilst a lot of the self-catering accommodation can classically be sat/sat a number of British TO's run Sunday transfers as standard including:-

Ski Esprit / Total
Silverski
Ski Olympic
SkiVal (at least to Arlberg)

and there's some more - Lizzard had a full list somewhere.
latest report
Trax-Vax Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy