Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver test 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The tracks didnt help the "novices" use the F1 though!.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ed123 wrote:
Adrian, nor was there any mention of the fact that the first candidates would have made tracks!

How do you know they did?

Away from the dry statistical side of things you seem to be out of your depth. I've taken part in exercises where the first thing we did was trample the snow in the area being used.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PJSki, well- there was no mention in the methodology!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
and the whole point of the paper is that it is quantitative rather than qualitative- it measures things- rather than describes them. Whih is why there should be proper stats.

Actually I may try and contact the authors to help them with that side as it is very interesting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PJSki, ed123,
at the risk of re-igniting the 'stats' side of things, I thought I'd relate my experience from the ARVA training I participated in last week in Chamonix. Part of the off-piste instruction course from UCPA (french youth hostel association) it was conducted by a UIAGM guide. (not sure what syllabus they use, but we did some basic tuition, some 'wide' search practice (i.e. locating to within a few metres of a beacon), some 'close' searching to pinpoint it, use of probe etc.
The interesting (for me) part was that all the students were given F1's.... I stuck with my trusty Tracker (original 2 antenna digital)
Although I've only done a couple of practice session, and done a Henry's Ava 1/2 day, I found the searches easy.... the other students didn't.
We then did, on separate days, mock multi-burial searches, on a 'real' slope of similar dimensions to the one in the study. (clearly, avalanches don't normally stick to 30x50m plots- the recent one in Les Arcs was, I think, over 1km across....)

on the first occasions, the people using Trackers found 3 ex 4 beacons - on the 2nd occasion, all 3 were found by the Tracker user.
The downside was that even on a small slide, multiple burials quickly challenge the ability of a small group of inexperienced users to organise themselve - time spent working out who would dig, and who would search, one a beacon was found, meant our search time topped out at 27 minutes on the 2nd attempt...

None of this is particularly scientific, but it does highlight that
a - the mechanics of searching are at least as important as what transceiver you've got
b - the study didn't do nearly a good enough job of explaining how they had isolated those variables.

I did notice that my guide (and the other UCPA guides) did not use F1's themselves (most had ARVA machines - although as one of our guides had been avalanched twice, he backed that up with ABS and Avalung....).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy