Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Skola, I'm afraid the forecast from geof Monk http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/EH.PDF for Moday is rain and wind. Tuesday the freezing level is lowering with snow above 600m and the snow level dropping through the day. With snow showers fro the rest of the week. The forecast ends with :

"Some uncertainty beyond, with some forecasts suggesting a fairly significant snowfall event 'around' next weekend."
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
looks superb up there right now. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anybody else see NORWAY today?! Fully visible from Ben Macdui, Scotland!

Absolutely amazing ski touring conditions up on the Cairngorm plateau - and despite the excellent forecast (and the plateau being fully filled with snow) we only saw 2 other groups of skiers, and a guy on his own. Where was everyone!!!

What a day - got 2 pages of pics up here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/3/nc/09dec12/

Here's one of them:

Jamie.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awesome Jamie - thanks for posting snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers Roga Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what a stunning set of photographs, that is unbelievable that you can see norway, i was goin to say are you sure it wasnt a bank of cloud but those photographs do look like mountains, very impressive, just checked and that is over 420 miles!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley, yeah....Sad

Still might go snowHead wont have another chance for another month or so
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm sorry, but it is not possible to see a mountain top 400 miles away, even with refraction effects and perfect conditions. The horizon from the top of Ben Macdui is about 80 miles away, and from the highest point in Norway is about 110 miles. Total 190 miles. Leaving aside the extreme difficulty of making anything out through 400 miles of atmosphere, there's no way refraction can make up the 200+ mile shortfall. I know that Denali in Alaska, a much bigger mountain, has on some very rare occasions, under perfect conditions, been seen from a little more than 200 miles away (I have seen the photos and it is very difficult to make out the mountain). But what you saw must have been clouds.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two Ears Laybelle,

I think you are right, however sometimes on a clear day I can see the Mourne Mts (850m) (about 90 miles) from about 200m
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah I was gonna say, you couldn't possibly have seen Norway from Scotland.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Two Ears Laybelle wrote:
I'm sorry, but it is not possible to see a mountain top 400 miles away, even with refraction effects and perfect conditions. The horizon from the top of Ben Macdui is about 80 miles away, and from the highest point in Norway is about 110 miles. Total 190 miles. Leaving aside the extreme difficulty of making anything out through 400 miles of atmosphere, there's no way refraction can make up the 200+ mile shortfall. I know that Denali in Alaska, a much bigger mountain, has on some very rare occasions, under perfect conditions, been seen from a little more than 200 miles away (I have seen the photos and it is very difficult to make out the mountain). But what you saw must have been clouds.

i have been thinking about this since i first read the post so got straight onto google earth and measured it, it was 421 miles from the peak on ben mcdui to the highest point on the norwegian seaboard. I can totally understand why why the OP thought is was norway but it is just to far, those clouds can be very decieving!!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can see Norway from Scotland as well but only if I fill my camelback with single malt....

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 13-12-09 22:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder,

Yip, had a mess around on google earth too and had to be over 20km up in perfect vis to have a chance
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder,

Yip, had a mess around on google earth too and had to be over 20km up in perfect vis to have a chance

i got it down to 18km but that was with some very carefull tinkering, so it was 100% not Norway!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

johnboy wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder,

i got it down to 18km but that was with some very carefull tinkering, so it was 100% not Norway!!!

or you just skinned up a new mountain roughly twice the height of everest without noticing
snow report
http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/graphics/photos/supmirg2.gif
ski holidays
Quote:

looks superb up there right now.

It was Very Happy

I was up Sunday - was planning on touring, but ripped a binding out of the ski whilst neeling down to adjust a leash after just 4 turns. Paul in the ski hire workshop fixed it by lunch (for a good price) so I had a good day in the end. Good job it didn't go over at Ben macdui - which is where I was originally planning on heading.

It was really quiet. I caught the 9am train which was jammed full with exactly 0 other people. It did get a little busier during the day, but you could still ski straight onto every lift. The last train down in the dark was really jammed packed as it cleared everyone off the hill. Snow was good, hard but grippy with softer areas in places. No wind, sun was out, beautifull views. Must have been better than Xmas shopping - so where were the rest of you wink .

CML pisties have been busy as they have produced a good deep track of snow on the zig-zags - M1 poma link and in the M1 loading area
ski holidays
PLANNING OUTLOOK: all mountain areas of Britain from Tuesday
Generally cold conditions on the mountains over the next week or so, with temperatures
often below freezing point on higher areas in England and Wales, and persistently on
higher Scottish Highlands. Further occasional snow showers later this week, but the threat
(not a certainty) of widespread snowfall on many mountain areas on Sunday or early next
week.
Forecast issued at 1300 Sunday 13th December 2009 from Glenmore Lodge,
SportScotland National Outdoor Centre

http://www.mwis.org.uk/sh.php
snow report
Quote:

Further occasional snow showers later this week, but the threat
(not a certainty) of widespread snowfall on many mountain areas on Sunday or early next
week.

Looks like the "snow event" is being pushes back. Geof's forecast on saturaday was suggesting the weekend. Lets just hope it happens.
ski holidays
Looks like there will be plenty of fresh snow over the weekend.
ski holidays
Yup, looking good and I'm heading north tomorrow Very Happy

Will update from the mountain when I can.
ski holidays
roga, are you leaving early and skiing Friday or not making it on to the snow til Sat?
snow report
Further snow showers on the 'Gorm, things are freshening up, still one or too exposed bits of last weekends hard stuff around. The main event snow wise looks to be over the weekend, but further snow showers for the five days look likely - beyond there is just too much doubt in the forecast models to make a forecast!

Nevis is very close to being able to open the top half of the mountain from Tower 4 of the Goose T-bar up, Will be assessed during Friday. If Nevis is able to open it might be the one for Saturday, winds look set to be stronger in the East and with sub-zero temps and heavy drifting expected could cause issues on the roads for the East. Obv roads not a prob for Nevis Range and with the wind more NNW to North on the West Coast, this is a direction that Nevis can often have a degree of shelter from (at least below the upper Summit area).

So fingers crossed that we see more areas open up for sliding shortly.

SKI GLENCOE by Sleeper...

Something that might interest snowheads further south (but also can be done from Glasgow). The Crianlarich Hotel is offering a special snowsports offer from when Glencoe opens till end of March, that includes a free transfer from the Hotel to Glencoe Mountain Resort and back at the end of the day, plus pick up from the Railway Station (200m or so from the Hotel).

Glencoe Skiers' Special
Available from December 2009 until March 2010
Double Room only £40 Bed & Breakfast
Single Room only £25 Bed & Breakfast
Ski tickets and passes available from the hotel and a free shuttle to and from the ski area.
Stay 4 nights for the price of 3

The ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper operates 6 nights a week (Exc Sat Night), departing London Euston at 21.15hrs Mon-Fri and 20.55hrs Sunday, with pick ups at Watford, Crewe and Preston. A connection operates from Glasgow Queen Street to meet the Sleeper at Westerton for local seated passengers travelling North from Glasgow.
latest report
That's a good offer Alan and a good sign, I hope, of confidence in the potential of skiing at the Coe - it's a bit like the sort of thing that used to be available in the old days. I hope there's a good take up for it!
snow report
arv wrote:
roga, are you leaving early and skiing Friday or not making it on to the snow til Sat?

I'm travelling up tomorrow afternoon/evening with the family and stopping off near Perth then up to the Gorm early Saturday morning. Not sure I'll get any sliding in Saturday though, I have an all day meeting/induction with The Ski School who I'm working with over Xmas and New Year - need lots of on-snow experience and hours for ISIA.
ski holidays
Looks like you might not be skiing on Saturday anyway - forecast has changed to blizzards with wind upto 60mph. Which means I'll have no excuse not to do a fun little triathlon at Huntly. 20 min swim, 60 min mountain bike in The Bin and run to the top of the Clashmac from the ski centre and back. Hope there is fast runner there as you can turn round as soon as you meet the first person coming back down from the top. Mind you if the snow comes as forecast we may be doing it on skis Smile
latest report
Snow gun has arrived
from Colins Blog http://blog.cairngormmountain.co.uk/

"Snow Cannon arrived this morning and one of the boys is bringing Glenshee’s portable pump over today as well so hopefully over the next few days we can get it set up and start playing around with it, however latest forecasts are suggesting blizzard conditions and white out conditions over the next couple of days so we may have more than enough real snow to deal with. I will keep you posted on our progress.
It has been snowing steadily to day putting some fresh powder on the hard base we have had of late and the skiing/boarding has been pretty good although there are still some icy areas around
We will be in from 7.30 tomorrow to assess things so keep an eye on the website for updates"
latest report
Wicked snow and conditions today, just brilliant snowHead

Drinking beer in Carrbridge now so won't say more ... for fear of drunken typos ... brilliant up here at the mo tho, snow everywhere and the mountain awesome snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good effort roga and I hope you got the opportunity make some more fresh tracks on Monday. Cool Oh, and BTW, I'm not jealous. Mad
ski holidays
Great day on the hill today, with some real powder on offer. Or there was, until we accidentally tracked it all out again.

Talk of the WWP opening soon - good times.

My photos def don't do today justice whatsoever. Was too busy shredding to take photos, and my camera's getting pretty wrecked as well so not ideal.

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200910/09dec21/

One of the photos:
snow report
Good effort! Will be up tomorrow at Nevis to see how things are going..
snow conditions
I'm heading up to the Highlands on the 27th. From the looks of the Ski Scotland site it's just Cairngorm that's open at the moment. Is that the case? This could possibly be my one and only ski fix this year so I'm really hoping we have some snow to play in
snow report
Josef K, Winterhighland.info is where you need to be. Nevis and Cairngorms are definitely open...
snow conditions
Another quality day today - great overhead, and still good snow!

Got my pics up here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200910/09dec22/

I didn't go straight to CairnGorm, went via one of the hills above Glenmore (Meall a'Bhuachaille) to attempt some Scottish tree skiing (attempting to get footage for a forthcoming Scottish backcountry ski film). Headed up a firebreak and all looked well. But this entire expedition was a mistake - lots of "grabby" dense heather lay beneath the surface, so I couldn't even get going. Even with the fat boys on, all I could achieve was epic fail:

So dangly bits to that, headed on up CairnGorm. Got in some great runs down the M2, and deep freshies in the Ciste Gully. Sweeeett. Nice and snowy up the hill just now! This pic taken at the top of the M1 Poma.

Rest of the pics are up on the site. Link to highland-instinct above.
ski holidays
Just packed the car for Nevis tomorrow, stoked!
snow report
More photos from today on Winterhighland as well, fantastic inversion views late in the afternoon!

^A never ending sea of mist lies beyond, while CairnGorm Mountain sat atop under blue skies and the dusk glow.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=563

It's hoped the West Wall Poma might go at some point during Wed but the forecast is a bit less settled for tomorrow (why its not listed as opening) with wind perhaps gusting 45 and snow showers coming in. More a day for fresh tracks perhaps than trying to get a mid-winter Scottish sun tan, but the wind and weather should settle down again for Thursday onwards.
latest report
Winterhighland, nice, thanks!
ski holidays
Josef K, I don't think that's right at all - check out the two websites mentioned above for reliable info.

Great photos - thanks - looks great. Very Happy
latest report
Add another 18 inches of powder overnight to yesterdays photos from CairnGorm Mountain!! Still puking up there, ploughs are slowly winning the battle on the access road though so fingers crossed, it's going to be epic when it opens and tomorrow is expected to be another bright day with long sunny spells and scattered snow showers! snowHead
latest report
Awesome! Fingers crossed for post-Xmas conditions. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy