Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
lordjohn, glad to hear you're getting some snowtime this winter. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fergus,

Is that you, Vit'nry??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like this comment in the latest Glencoe newsletter:
Quote:
The skiing this week has been absolutely stunning with great snow, no wind and lots of sunshine. A bit like being in the Alps - only better!!

Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga wrote:
I like this comment in the latest Glencoe newsletter:
Quote:
The skiing this week has been absolutely stunning with great snow, no wind and lots of sunshine. A bit like being in the Alps - only better!!

Laughing

Nice & you see, that's why I know that Glencoe 'get it' when so many others (including some of the other Scottish ski areas themselves) fail to understand. Other ski centres in Scotland pump out sound bites such as 'it's as good as the Alps', proving to me that they haven't really connected with their own customers motivations. It's a mere semantic difference I know but an important one.

I really do look forward to my Alpine trips though ... I mean, who wouldn't with a week away from work, fantastic skiing convenience, huge areas, no driving to think about and a holiday mood throughout whereas to ski at home I need to drive to get there & back, I have to sandwich the day between work days & I can't slip off home to a 4 course meal & a bucket full of wine.

All the same though, my best skiing memories are in Scotland (and maybe not coincidentally, most of those from Glencoe wink ). I can only imagine there must be loads of French, Austrian, Swiss, Italian, German, Kiwi and North Americans who have a similar passion for the smaller ski areas on their doorsteps and I wonder what marketing stance the managers of those smaller businesses take when trying to compare themselves to the 3V, Paradiski, Milky Way or other Disneyfied ski zones.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about

"Glencoe, it's not just for Christmas. It's for life"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, or "If you have a good day at Glencoe you'll remember it!" unwritten postscript "cos you won't have another one for 20 years" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anyone lucky enough to be heading up to the white wonderland up north this weekend please take a camera and lots of piccies to make us lot back home really jelous, cheers!!!

Oh and have a great time!!! Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'm heading up to cairngorms tomorrow and will try post a few shots from up there. All but one run open at the moment so everything is looking good!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
have a great trip bernie_lomax, you lucky sod!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there aint no runs left really up here bernie_lomax, all just one big gigantic ski-anywhere playground. weather looking decent for the weekend too (sat and sun anyway). wind tomorrow may cause a few more drifting issues but shouldnt be anything like the storm last week
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some pix from CairnGorm Mountain on Wednesday:

^Going up the M1 Poma on Wednesday afternoon.

^View up the Traverse and lower reaches of the Coronation Wall from Coire Cas.

^Looking up the 'Gorm from the foot of the Burnside on the Carpark Runs.

^A sign on Loch Morlich!!

Lots more pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=613

As mentioned above, looking rather unsettled for Friday, becoming fine again for the weekend with light winds and increasingly bright as the weekend goes on. Get up here. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have written to Cairngorm to ask if they think they might run the lifts for the first weekend of May. If there's a good chance I will come back straight after closing here (24th April) to have a weekend up at the 'Gorm. Anyone fancy making a snowheads meet up there if they open?

Winterhighland, Bl**dy hell! I do not believe my eyes! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I'll be there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, I'm usually there in May if there's skiing, which there has been for 2 out of the last 3 seasons.

Personally I think that given the sheer amounts of snow up there there's an excellent chance of early June snow let alone early May!

I get the impression from speaking to Colin (ski patrol number 1 and director of snowsports operations) that they want to keep the lifts running as long as possible and that they want to end the season with a bang rather than a whimper, particularly given this has been the absolute mother of all seasons!

So yes, a Snowheads meet seems like a good idea. If so how about doing a sticky thread and trying to encourage a few people up from down south, I'm still convinced there are plenty of people here who are so dismissive/clueless about Scottish skiing that they still haven't got a clue how good it is this year!
snow report
May and June, sun shining, evening skiing, hogs roasting, pros jumping, super-piping, beastie rides, rescue dug demos, mankini racing, pond skipping, ice bars, skiing & boarding chickie-babes in mini skirt kilts Shocked , gear giveaways
snow conditions
easiski, i'll be there Happy
snow conditions
roga, If we could get a few more from around our neck of the woods it might be worth me bringing the seats back in the van and we could have a full 7 seater up and back! If I go up I'll want to collect the odd thing from the chalet too. There's not enough there to make a special journey, but If I'm up there anyway ..... Very Happy I won't go if we have to walk up regardless of how good it is. Sad
ski holidays
barry, shortly you will wake up to find it is 6am and you are in bed dreaming. Happy
snow report
glasgowcyclops, we've had the majority of those things in may a couple of years ago!
latest report
Even these.....????? skiing & boarding chickie-babes in mini skirt kilts

WOW I'm there already
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops, ach you can see them on dark dreich january days!
snow conditions
10 mins of footage from Wed 3rd March at Cairngorm

A wee trip up the M1 and down No 2 Gully at Coire Na Ciste.

Most of it's from a handheld camcorder. First time I've ever skied with one so I was a bit risk averse on the run down No1 gully into the ciste.

Bloody good fun.

http://youtube.com/v/HubAK3blD5Y

Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 5-03-10 18:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
easiski wrote:
roga, If we could get a few more from around our neck of the woods it might be worth me bringing the seats back in the van and we could have a full 7 seater up and back!

Good idea and there's an incentive for people to come - a trip up in the Easiskimobile, cool! Toofy Grin
Quote:
If I go up I'll want to collect the odd thing from the chalet too. There's not enough there to make a special journey, but If I'm up there anyway ..... Very Happy

You have a chalet up there, do you rent it out?
Quote:
I won't go if we have to walk up regardless of how good it is. Sad

Frankly if there's enough snow the lifts will be running (even if only a limited number), as I said they've run recently first/second weekend in May and they usually try to have a May day weekend of events going on on the hill.

The main question for me is whether or not they'll run them past the first half of May, given snow, personally I'd like to see weekend snowsports operations at the very least and some on-hill events going on as a way of garnering publicity and keeping the punters coming.
ski holidays
Nevis Range Wednesday afternoon

Best snow skiers right of warrens.

Variable snow in the Back Corries, from lovely soft snow, to crust, breakable crust and the odd soft pocket. Chancers entry was icy for the first 10 feet then lovely snow! Looking at Braveheart from half way down Nid Ridge which was bullet proof!

Real ski anywhere snow on the front side (looking up from the car park at 4:30pm)

Cairngorm Thurs 4th

Heading off to the East Wall...

Just about to drop into lovely snow in no.2 Gully

latest report
roga, I still own it, can't rent it, can't live in it - ongoing (10 year) dispute with site owners. If you want to try to sort it with them you could have it for next to nothing! Otherwise they'll destroy in at the end of the Site rent contract in 2011. Sad I took most of my stuff out a good while ago, but there are some bits and bobs that would be handy to have. Not enough to go up specially though. TBH I would rather go a week later except that it's my sister's birthday on 2nd May .... she doesn't get to ski much .... thought!
snow conditions
Beware if heading to cairngorm this weekend- it's 'SUSC big weekend' this saturday and sunday. (Scottish uni's championships) Could be rowdy!
Oh how I regret not booking...

Red Leon wrote:
Fergus,

Is that you, Vit'nry??

eh?
latest report
Alan A wrote:
10 mins of footage from Wed 3rd March at Cairngorm

A wee trip up the M1 and down No 2 Gully at Coire Na Ciste.

Most of it's from a handheld camcorder. First time I've ever skied with one so I was a bit risk averse on the run down No1 gully into the ciste.

Bloody good fun.

http://youtube.com/v/HubAK3blD5Y

Laughing

Sorted out the privacy settings so that everyone can view it now.

Sorry.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied Cairngorm this morning and conditions are still good with firm, grippy snow despite the recent rise in temperature. The snow lower down is starting to turn into spring snow but I saw no slush and very little ice all day.

The hill fog was at about 2500' at 9am but rose during the day leaving the tops clear by about 2pm. Initially the West Wall Poma was off (meaning either a funicular or Car Park-Cas-M1 combination to get to the top) but the tow was on again by about 10:30.

Day Lodge, M2, Fiacaill Ridge, Cas and Gunbarrel were in good condition but quite busy, but M1 and White Lady were quieter, although also complete with good snow.

Ryvoan is still closed, as is Bynack, Aonach Bowl and the West Wall (although the website says they are open) but quite a few skiers and boarders were ducking the ropes and skiing them anyway.

Over Yonder (unpisted) and Ciste Gully still allow you to ski back to the Ciste car park.

Across the mountain the fence posts and one or two rocks are starting to show through so it's worth keeping your eyes peeled.

Another great day out with plenty of skiing left before the end of the season.   
snow conditions
[Post remove due to duplication]

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 7-03-10 1:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
easiski, sounds like a bit of a nightmare!

Where abouts is it situated?

BTW, why not take your sister up too?
snow report
Blimey!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8552225.stm
snow conditions
I had this reply from Cairngorm"It looks positive that we may hang onto our snow until May, however usually we don't have the demand from customer to remain open late in the season. Keep an eye on our website, as we may even open for weekend skiing only!"

Not much help in planning and booking ferry tickets! I would have liked something more positive. I have suggested that they take a decision to open for the bank holiday weekend assuming adequate snow early, so that we can organise groups to go up. don't know if they will even consider it - they've never been very pro-active, only reactive. Sad

roga, that was my thought. A couple of days on snow would be nice for her if she wasn't going to alton towers! The chalet is on the Speyside Park just below the ski road near the junction. I tried everything to resolve the dispute, but eventually gave up about 6/7 years ago as it was causing me too much stress. Sad Very sad - it was my home and the bl**dy Masons and lawyers stiched my up between them. Twisted Evil I have no idea if the manager of the park would be more helpful if someone else approached them to sort something out. He's a miserable slimy so and so!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Might be worth a try if you're interested though. Am considering removing the velux windows Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
easiski, you'll likely get a more positive resonse from Colin, head of ski patrol and running ski ops on the hill, he's the main man this year, the email you got was probably from the office (and read off a script created last september rolling eyes ). Drop Colin a line on his blog on the website. Knowing the past few years, I would say you can go ahead and plan a may bank holiday raid with pretty decent confidence. Going up the M1 tow today and the adjacent pistes were at elbow height to me at times (i'm 5'10) Shocked . Base is bullet proof from mid-mountain on up. I'm actually hoping that the may bank holiday wont be the end of it!
ski holidays
barry, Thanks for that - will do. Very Happy do you know if Sid Airey is still working ski patrol on Cairngorm?
snow report
easiski, yup, he's 2nd in command on patrol
ski holidays
Snow Time wrote:
[Post removed due to duplication]
ski holidays
A bit late , but some pics from Glenshee on Wednesday ,sunny all day ,no wind ,doesnt get much better ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ski holidays
icyjock, nice pics, Glenshee is magic midweek. Smile I was at Glencoe yesterday & pleased to see it busy but nothing really beats having the lifts to yourself and just a few others.

Was that avalanche run out on Carn Aosda ... https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/931/medium/Glenshee_039.jpg ... or just piste clearance debris ?
snow report
roga wrote:
easiski, I'm usually there in May if there's skiing, which there has been for 2 out of the last 3 seasons.

Personally I think that given the sheer amounts of snow up there there's an excellent chance of early June snow let alone early May!

I get the impression from speaking to Colin (ski patrol number 1 and director of snowsports operations) that they want to keep the lifts running as long as possible and that they want to end the season with a bang rather than a whimper, particularly given this has been the absolute mother of all seasons!

So yes, a Snowheads meet seems like a good idea. If so how about doing a sticky thread and trying to encourage a few people up from down south, I'm still convinced there are plenty of people here who are so dismissive/clueless about Scottish skiing that they still haven't got a clue how good it is this year!

I like the sound of this. I had thought I would be able to get 2 weeks skiing only, but I think I could fit in this meet. Would love to be back skiing in Scotland - I've skied but two weeks there - and that was about '86.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy