Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Glencoe wasn't too bad today...

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Arv. Is that the etive glades? Deep deep snow. Wow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
glasgowcyclops, no, skiers right of the cliffie but not quite as far over as Mugs Alley... Thrombosis? Not entirely sure.

Etive Glades had been destroyed by the wind.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Need to get the piste map out.

Hope you all have a great time. I'm back up in a couple of weeks.

All the best
Bob
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just seen the clencoe page and snow report. Etive shut because of possible avalanche. Skiing down to the car park as well Happy WOW that must be a lot of snow up there.

I'm looking forward to a long season. Happy

Cheers
Bob
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Check the Cairngorm video's on youtube.

Digging out the train line. How much SNOW!!!!! is that. Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/E0tTmJYwMCM

Driving down the approach road

http://youtube.com/v/DP5MFJaOEEc
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why at cairngorm don't they just plough the road every hour or so at night when its dumping and run the train every hour or so as well to stop the snow building up? It would cost a bit to do but surely not as much as having the resort closed for a couple of days while they try to dig evertything out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
when it's blowing the snow simply drifts in behind the plough as quick as it's being cleared, never mind every hour. the snow aint the problem, it's the drifitng that the wind brings that's the real killer. During the last mega storm, their work to reach the carpark (over several days) was undone in a few short hours when the wind picked up again Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They've got an enormous task ahead of them once again and I've got a lot of sympathy and respect for the people doing the job. Most of this 'problem' snow was delivered at temperatures not many degrees below freezing so it'll become heavier and consolidate more easily than the very dry powder from a few weeks back. Harder for clearance purposes maybe but with just a little luck, top to bottom skiing might still be possible in May. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rambotion, I went up on the Funicular on Wednesday afternoon, left the base station at 3.05pm and arrived in the Top Station at 3.30pm. Had to crawl along as despite the train having run back and fore all day the snow was drifting over the track such that the rails and haul rope were buried above the plough depth and that was with shovelling squads also working on the track in several places. Load on the system was too much and it slammed the ebrakes on further up the tunnel when some safety circuit tripped!

That was the last run the train was able to make on Wednesday and as of this morning parts of the track were reported to be under 20ft of snow. This video shows a Piste Basher digging out the return wheel of the M1 Poma, what is of more interest however is the Ptarmigan Restaurant and top station behind!!

http://youtube.com/v/Q_jONN70Wuk
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, that's a lot of snow!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definately heading up somewhere tomorrow.

It doesn't look like we could go wrong at any of the resorts, but where does the forum predict the best snow conditions?? Go!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go to Nevis if I was going tomorrow.

Today at Glencoe was good but the light was flat for most of the day (until about 1). Started to brighten up as we left.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's it looking like for a mid week slide next week? Wed/Thurs is a possibility for me, but I'd need to confirm a meeting in Edinburgh tomorrow if I'm going to come up from Leeds..........
latest report
arv, now at 6000 posts. Happy
ski holidays
Heading to braemar for a week starting tonight Very Happy
And i'm only just back from Soll last night Very Happy

Don't think i could have timed it better l Laughing
snow report
heading up either next weekend or the weekend after for a long weekend, which would you say will be the best place for "powder"?

Hope theirs enough to warrent the usage of the Hellbents Laughing Laughing
snow report
milnerhome wrote:
heading up either next weekend or the weekend after for a long weekend, which would you say will be the best place for "powder"?

Hope theirs enough to warrent the usage of the Hellbents Laughing Laughing

a little preview from one of the access roads, think they can handle it??!! Shocked

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/WU8wCtjikmuyhhv2hJCRlw?feat=directlink
ski holidays
Back from Glencoe.
Bit of a late start as my son had forgotten his skis. rolling eyes
Long wait for ski hire however it did mean we missed skiing the morning in flat light. Which was good as most pistes had bumped up a bit.
By late afternoon the vis and skiing were superb. Rannoch Glades and Spring run had some great snow. Easily skiable to the car park though there were a few thin patches near the bottom.
snow conditions
Skied the Lecht today after the roads were finally opened at 11am. Conditions are very good although the wind has taken all of the snow from the ridge leave just ice. From about 15 metres off the top you are back into mainly squeaky (ish) snow.

Due to the clearing work in the morning the only runs open were Eagle, Grouse, Robin, Wren & the Magic Carpet. Later on Buzzard opened but was not pisted. The greens and blues were in good condition, although a little chewed up, but off piste from the Buzzard tow was excellent. Most of the fences are under snow giving a massive area to ski across with virtually no tracks or hazards. By 3:30pm you could ski straight onto the Buzzard poma - result!
snow conditions
Skiied Glencoe yesterday, I had a great time despite the queues. Probably did about 5 runs to the car park which I found great fun, and the slightly heavier snow served as a means to keep my speed down Toofy Grin Light was good in the AM progressively flattening out as the day went on.

Pic of where my skis submarined by the car park, I'm standing straight up!

Some vids: 1 2 3. All taken on the wide line of the car park run.
ski holidays
T Bar, yes, boarding the spring run in zero viz this morning wasnt one of my better judgement calls! I'd destroyed myself by lunchtime after one too many near misses.
snow report
andytb, Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
http://www.webcam-ski.com/webcams/interfaces/glenshee/interface.php?pk_interface=278&m=images&r=panoramique#depart

Wow !
snow conditions
Enjoyed a low-level day in the Campsie Fells (Central Scotland) on Sunday. Despite never getting above 450m in altitude, there was plenty snow.

Put in a couple of [what we believe to be] first descents. One of which we have named "Sheep Drop Gully", for reasons that will become obvious...

Link to photos here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/sh/10feb28/

One of them: putting in a turn high on Sheep Drop Gully. Some minor sluffing occurring on the sheep itself.
See the above link to see the rest of the descent!

Note: no sheep were harmed during this descent
snow report
Good effort Jamie although the picture looks a bit woolly. I expect you'll go baaack for some more. Blush
snow conditions
firstracks, Last feb I was at the Glengoyne distilary and there was someone skiing down the hill at the back.
Was it you? Happy
Cheers
Bob
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Bob - not me I'm afraid. Sunday was my first time out in the Campsies.
Jamie.
snow report
arv, firstracks, brilliant! Who need the alps....
ski holidays
weather looking good for a Wed slide at Cairngorm then Thurs Glencoe (or Nevis if they open Braveheart) methinks, anyone else around??
snow conditions
Amazing bluebird Monday at Nevis Range today. Sorry everyone working today - but if you check the forecast for tomorrow you simply HAVE to take a sickie!! You can still bang out Summit to almost sea level riding with 3675ft of vertical descent possible for good skiers and boarders with a sense of adventure! The top half of the line under the Gondola was skiing beautifully on Monday afternoon, in fact if there was a mid-station on the Gondola you could happily lap it all day!

Once past the deer fence and in the forest it's complete combat skiing if you stick under the Gondola line, so it was better to head to the forest tracks or the World Cup Downhill. Recently upgraded from black to orange (extreme) on the extended MTB trail rating system the Forestry Commission brought in, does that make it equivalent of a triple black diamond! Cool

On the downhill the snow is now firm packed from the skier traffic, but its nice and grippy and now that it is consolidated any rocks on the track are clear to see and avoid, so you can focus on picking a line through the berms. Requires commitment and precision skiing, some sections you just have to let it flow and the speed will build till you get a wider area to put in some speed checking turns. On the whole it's reasonable cover till virtually at the bottom, the big dropdown into the carpark on the Offbeat Wall is thin, scrapped and gritty because people have been snowploughing down it! Doh! Best to stop and walk the last 100yards!

^How high could you go?

^Dropping down to a left hand berm.

^A 3km terrain park over 1820ft of descent...

Nevis Range - Offbeat Downhill Vital Statistics

* Grading - orange extreme (previously graded 'black')
* Access - gondola
* Length - 2.82km
* Start altitude - 655m
* Finish altitude - 100m
* Vertical descent - 555m
* Finish - Nevis Range car park
* Fastest time - 4:43:53

If however you want to stick to sliding on ski trails instead of suicidal bike trails, then:

^View up the Allt Sneachda to Goose Gully beyond. Ride anywhere with amazing snow between Warrens and the Goose.

^Heading up the Summit Button. Summit area gained five feet or so of level snow, staff were going around with avalanche probes looking for the terrain park!

Astounding cover on the front of the hill, esp West aspects that were in the lee of last weeks Easterly storms and lower down to the West side of the fences. Yokies, Rabbit Run and Allt Sneachda best runs to the foot of the main area and the Allt Sneachda is a must do for fun seekers!

More pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=612
snow conditions
Word of caution about the downhill track, remember bikes have brakes! Skis only have brakes when you wipeout! Twisted Evil
latest report
although now 10 days ago , check the video of the CSC open Champs at Cairngorm. Even if you only watch the first two minutes you get a fantastic view of how good scottish skiing is this year. The White Lady was simply amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/happycoach#p/a/u/1/7j16Fjo6Uns

Enjoy, and its bluebird up here for the next 3 days
snow report
serious question, am I hoping to get a day at Cairngorm and/or Glencoe this week, are there many/any hidden rocks around? I can't decide wether to use by brand new skis or a slightly older pair.....
ski holidays
kitenski, there are absolutely NO rocks to hit at CairnGorm. One or two at Glencoe.

I've been on my best skis all winter without worry.

The only exception to this would be if your old skis were the fat boys, and your new skis matchsticks. In which case take the old skis. wink
latest report
kitenski wrote:
serious question, am I hoping to get a day at Cairngorm and/or Glencoe this week, are there many/any hidden rocks around? I can't decide wether to use by brand new skis or a slightly older pair.....

On Sunday I found no rocks on marked runs at Glencoe, away from the marked runs you can find the odd partially covered rock and if you ski down to the car park there was the odd thinner section.
Should be all right skiing sensibly but hitting the odd rock is always possible.
latest report
Superb at Glenshee today with a glorious sky of blue rivalling the best days I've had in the Alps. My son was snowboarding in Glencoe on Sunday and scraped his board rather badly although it has to be said he was off-piste. He was back in action today without harm; you would have to search hard to find rocks at Glenshee!
snow report
looks like braveheart ran today & is expected tomorrow so i am going to head there wed.......
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, forecast is cracking, have a good one and take the camera!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy