Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Winterhighland, is this one of the better December's for some time??? Or is my memory failing me Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stopped for lunch at Nevis. Conditions are great. Cloudy up top but light isn't particularly flat. Powwwwder!! Skiing is rusty as hell, maybe the afternoon will bring better things Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stopped for lunch at Nevis. Conditions are great. Cloudy up top but light isn't particularly flat. Powwwwder!! Skiing is rusty as hell, maybe the afternoon will bring better things Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, you can say that again, and again and again wink Complete bummer as my wife is working today and tomorrow, otherwise would have packed the wife and kids into the car to head up there Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Damn phone Very Happy

What... a... day. Despite being unable to link 2 turns it was very good!

Coming down beside Warrens at the end of the day was too good, light untouched powder (boot deep..)

Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv, glad you had a great day!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv, you should have been there yesterday wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hillend was fun today after last nights little dump - the piste was pretty smooth by this evening ( the snow having filled in the holes in the artificial surface in parts) but there are a few nice runs off to the side on the golf course and the lift queues weren't bad despite the chair being closed most of the time I was there.

Only 20 minutes from my house and the sky was clear enough to ski by moonlight. Nice... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heya folks, happy christmas.

Great to see all the snow these few days.
Quick query, if I was to head over from Ireland for a few days where would be the best place to go? Any recommendations on accomodation/gear rental etc?

Cheers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cairngorm.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was at Glenshee today, was pretty decent. Boxing day or sunday I might try for cairngorm.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My first time on skis for the season today when I skinned up to near the top of Hart Fell this afternoon then and skiied back down. The return journey was quicker and a lot easier on the heart and lungs than the outward bound one though. It's not often you can talk about acres of perfect powder in your own back yard but that snow on the Moffat Hills today was just that. None of the nasty, crusty, compacted, slushy or frozen stuff, just perfect dry fluff.

A short video ...
http://youtube.com/v/UvohL-PzHxs

A bit of weather going on over the summit ...

Uphill and downhill tracks ...

Amongst the sheep dung and rock dodging ...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just been up to Cairngorm Mon & tues 21st/22nd dec..........
Quote:

Fantastic conditions

, No Wind! & world class powder!....... if anyone is thinking of Skiing Scotland this winter..... winterhighland.info is the best place for reliable weather forecast's.... you cant really pre plan trips to Scotland but the site means that you can see 4 or 5 days ahead........ its not the alps but on its day it can be great up there...... I took my 70 year old dad up for an xmas present & he had a great time & was very suprised just how good it was...... we stayed in the Scot house hotel in kingussie (10 miles from Aviemore) booked through late rooms.com the day before we went & paid £58 for the room for 2 nights...... lovely village & a nice little hotel.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesome conditions guys, simply awesome!

If you've been thinking of a last minute deal or trip you could do worse than heading up here ... snow, snow, snow!!

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Nice one Ross - quality back yard ski mission!

Here's some proof of yesterdays big dump (18 inches) at CairnGorm.. It just keeps getting better.
Photos from today:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200910/09dec24/

One of them:

Have a good Christmas folks! The centre'll be back open again on Boxing Day.
snow conditions
Merry Christmas! Just back from an hour of skiing round the fields beside our house in sunny Ayrshire. Really good snow - but I can see why they invented lifts. Three walks back up the hill were quite enough.
snow conditions
firstracks, I don't think Cairngorm looked that good even last year! Magic - better than most of the alps at the mo I think. Enjoy! Very Happy
latest report
This seems to me to be quite exceptional, the amount of snow and the weather (lack of wind) over the last few days is quite stunning at the moment and 8" of fresh overnight too!

I'm actually over west in Ullapool today where the snow is right down to sea level but there's definitely not as much on the local mountains as over on the Gorms. Will be back over later and looking forward to loads more snow and more great days on the hill over the next week snowHead

BTW, if anyone was thinking of a last minute trip I can wholeheartedly recommend heading north, seems like we may have some of the best conditions up here snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
totally magic day to cairngorm today. Powder, fresh tracks (not by me i hasten to add) friendly people, sun and no wind. what more can i say!!! only wee thing was there hadnt been mkuch pisting going on - pretty much just Ptarmigan bowl, so maybe a wee bit challenging for some if they wanted to vary the runs, nbut hey ona day like this who cares Laughing Laughing Laughing reckon its the palce to be - sorry no pics, was having too much fun getting to grips (well partly) with the new skis, yeehaa!!
ski holidays
Just back from the lecht today.

MARVELOUS, legs hurt, neck hurts (boting it with a helmet on) Only fell once on the steep red going mental over heavy snowballs.

Face hurts because of the massive grin I have. Happy

Going back tomorrow or to Cairngorm (have greens for my beginner wife) The lecht greens are kiddy tows so no good for her learning anything.

But I had a brilliant time. Wooooo Hooo.

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
You lucky bugs, living in or near to Scotland in winter. Looking at the pictures enviously from Dublin

Enjoy it !
ski holidays
Even better

Although my normal location is Glasgow. My mother in law is in Moray. only 1 hour form the lecht or Cairngorm.

ONly moan today is people who dont know the highway code.
STOP going down a hill and skidding sideways when cars are trying to get UP the hill. Happy Up the way has right of way.

Also to the Bloke in the black SAAB93 who stopped on the hill 200m from the leckt car park. There was tons of room between you and the land rover. I got my Volvo through after having to do a hill start in 30cm of snow. Happy You should have seen the other 15 cars trying the same. especially the 2 blokes in the Golf GTI slewing all over the place. Happy

Hey who cares ...... I broke in my new rossi zentith Z10's. Great.... bring on tomorrow.

Cheers
Bob 47 going on 10
snow report
Great snow, great weather at Glenshee and it was dead!

snow conditions
glasgowcyclops, Ski a run at the Lecht for me - it's one of my 5 fave places to ski (really - I love it there!)

pix and reports just seem staggering - wow!!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Resorts were all deserted today! And apparently it was the best yet at CairnGorm, with another 8 inches falling during Christmas day. Insane up there just now. But being Boxing Day I anticipated queues, which is why I didn't go to CairnGorm! Instead I went skiing at the site of the old Mar Lodge Ski Resort near Braemar. And had a great day! Probably the first person to ski there in over 40 years!

Photos here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/3/sc/09dec26/

One of them:
I wasn't exactly fighting anyone for the fresh tracks here.. the fact the ski centre closed in 1965 helped Laughing

---

then spent the last few hours of the afternoon at Glenshee. Max lift queue was, oh, almost a minute?!

Photos from Glenshee:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/gs/winter200910/09dec26/

One of them:

I love this country.
latest report
Wow! Only just caught the last couple of hours of Boxing Day having returned from the far North West Highlands, but it was so clear giving the most magical twilight in the mountains that you can get around the winter Solstice, long after the sun had set you could still see which parts of the hill were in shadow! So a couple of photos from the end of the day to whet the appetite for Sunday!

^Riding the Fiacaill Ridge Poma at night fall to round of a truly memorable Boxing Day.

^Long exposure shot - Gorm at night, showing the possibilities that say be there for dawn!

All over cover on the upper and mid (and most of the lower) mountain, with great off-piste steeps on the East Lady and Coronation Wall for advanced riders.

GET UP THERE!! More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=565
latest report
This has been fantastic start of the season for Scotland, I'm almost disapointed that I'm off to Canada in 2 weeks and can't afford a trip up to Cairngorm right now! Shocked

Everyone up there must be loving it and so they should! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well decided to go to cairngorm this morning. Visability os poor but it seems to be clearing now.

Bob
latest report
glasgowcyclops wrote:
Well decided to go to cairngorm this morning. Visability os poor but it seems to be clearing now.

Bob

how are the roads getting there. thinking of going up tomorrow
latest report
mugen, I was at Nevis today and spoke to a someone who had tried to go to Cairngorm from Glasgow but the A9 was shut so he had ended up at Nevis. He said the A82 was fine though

As for today at Nevis it was pretty much the same as it has been for a week... Really good deep snow for the summit/ top 3/4 of the goose then less below that.... Visablity was very poor on the upper mountain until about 2pm today so after a few runs on the summit and one on the goose I came down to the Chair runs were the vis was much better but the bottom half of the fairway is thin and some rocks/ icy patches to avoid.

When things cleared up about lunchtime the upper mountain is in great nick..... Very Happy
ski holidays
II wrote:
mugen, I was at Nevis today and spoke to a someone who had tried to go to Cairngorm from Glasgow but the A9 was shut so he had ended up at Nevis. He said the A82 was fine though

As for today at Nevis it was pretty much the same as it has been for a week... Really good deep snow for the summit/ top 3/4 of the goose then less below that.... Visablity was very poor on the upper mountain until about 2pm today so after a few runs on the summit and one on the goose I came down to the Chair runs were the vis was much better but the bottom half of the fairway is thin and some rocks/ icy patches to avoid.

When things cleared up about lunchtime the upper mountain is in great nick..... Very Happy

thanks for that, gonna try for cairngorm tomorrow if not there then nevis or glenshee.. to be honest if the golf course over the fence had more hills that would have done Smile
snow report
I thought about Glencoe but might keep going to Nevis, can't decide. The state of the A9 is really putting me off going up the East side.
ski holidays
arv wrote:
I thought about Glencoe but might keep going to Nevis, can't decide. The state of the A9 is really putting me off going up the East side.

i wanted to go to glencoe but their info on skiscotland website leads me to think of laurel and hardy
snow report
Hi mugen.

The roads are fine. The A9 is shut at Dunblane because the section from there to perth is icy. The problem was caused by lorries jackknifing.
From Perth it is okay as far as I know. I see your from Livvy so you would be going up the othe way to perth.
The roads up to Cairngorm from AVIEMORE are clear. The top road from Ballindalloch to Tomintoul and the lecht is covered but okay. THe A939 (the famouse one) is okay except the broom burn. It is icy at both ends and that is what causes the access problems.

Went to Cairngorm today. Visibility was terrible and I didn't enjoy it. It was far toooooooooo busy. Because of this, you couldnt get any speed up and you couldnt see what the terrain was like. It was far too bumpy because of all the folk that was on it and banking up the ruts.

Going back to the lecht tomorrow. The runs are no where near as long but you can get up 3x the speed.

Cheers
Bob
snow report
glasgowcyclops wrote:
Hi mugen.

The roads are fine. The A9 is shut at Dunblane because the section from there to perth is icy. The problem was caused by lorries jackknifing.
From Perth it is okay as far as I know. I see your from Livvy so you would be going up the othe way to perth.
The roads up to Cairngorm from AVIEMORE are clear. The top road from Ballindalloch to Tomintoul and the lecht is covered but okay. THe A939 (the famouse one) is okay except the broom burn. It is icy at both ends and that is what causes the access problems.

Went to Cairngorm today. Visibility was terrible and I didn't enjoy it. It was far toooooooooo busy. Because of this, you couldnt get any speed up and you couldnt see what the terrain was like. It was far too bumpy because of all the folk that was on it and banking up the ruts.

Going back to the lecht tomorrow. The runs are no where near as long but you can get up 3x the speed.

Cheers
Bob

i'm going to go for cairngorm first then take it from there.. thanks for the info, much appreciated
latest report
back at Glenshee today, not as good weather as yesterday but snow was still pretty good. The M90 was pretty bad, saw the stuck lorry going south as well but once past perth the roads were much better. Hopefully get more days this week as well Smile
snow report
Folks

All looks fantastic in Scotland at the moment - very jealous

I want to get up there this week - was planning to drive up overnight tonight, but got put off by the road reports. I would really appreciate any updates people have - especially about the A9 from Perth to Aviemore, which has seen some problems today. There's nothing like info from people who are up there in all that snow Very Happy

Thanks, Geoff
latest report
Seems there's a lot more of us ski touring in Scotland right now than there's been in many years. Some days are better than others though and our outing today was under quite heavy snowfall and poor visibility. This hill near Wanlockhead just a few miles west of Moffat has a private tarmac road going to the summit to serve a BAA radar installation. The piste markers were handy in the murk too. Laughing

http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,1681

latest report
Hi Geoff10

I'm not going to the lecht today, I'm coming back a day early to get ready for Norway on wednesday... I'll be coming down the A9 so I'll post on later with the road report.

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy