Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 09/10 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
ski-finder, snow-forecast (which I believe is GFS-based?) is showing 4150m and 3950m FL for 21/22 November.

I think that is right, torrential rain expected to high altitudes on Sunday in the Alps then getting colder with the zero iso around 2000m towards the end of November and more rain... ahem I mean snow. So that might restart are base above 1800 meters.

Unless someone in an armchair in Surrey knows better?

Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen wrote:
For what it's worth:

http://www.accuweather.com/world-news-blogs.asp?blog=euro&partner=netweather&pgUrl=/mtweb/content/euro/archives/2009/11/european_winter_forecast_ask_bastardi_1.asp

Quote:
Although November has not started well, an Indian Summer approaches with the calm before the storm. Bastardi says around late December, the temperatures will start to flip and become very cold.

basically a nice way of saying what I already said. forget december, its coming in january.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love the fact that their weather expert is Bastardi Twisted Evil

p.s. pam_w I also think that your post is probably rather correct Sad
p.p.s. still think we're getting snow in Avoriaz on the 23rd Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny luv plums, I hope you're wrong but you may well be right as the latest output shows a slight warming again at the beginning of December Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Unless someone in an armchair in Surrey knows better?

Ouch! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just heard a Bavarian farmer's weather rule which basically says that the weather we have on St Elisabeth's Day is typical for the weather we will have in winter! Today is St Elisabeth's Day and it is a beautiful WARM autumnal one here at 800 metres Evil or Very Mad It's about 16°C outside

I can even hear someone mowing their lawn somewhere outside Shock

So I just hope that this is a load of old tripe! Twisted Evil

Let's hope this is the same prelude we had to the winter of 2005/2006 - snowed in early October, catching everyone out with regards to winter tyres, then went warm again until the end of November. Then it started snowing and forgot to stop! We had a complete deep covering of snow here from 28th November until the beginning of May 2006!

Keeping my fingers crossed!
latest report
 brian
brian
Next weekend = Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, it's a load of old tripe.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is an El Nino year.

Temps in some waters around the globe are near record highs.

As predicted, the European Alpine Winter has started off as a warm one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"It is an El Nino year"

so is el nino good or bad for snow in Europe ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kendub wrote:
"It is an El Nino year"

Simple question. Tricky to answer. Maybe.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, forecast is looking like the snow will start next weekend with temperatures down to a more normal end of November beginning of December range. So as I thought - silly farmers rule that even the farmers don't think much of!

http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/vorhersage_diagramm/?city1=DE0009211 - this shows the temperature trend for the next 16 days in my neck of the woods

And this is for Sölden, for those looking anxiously at the snow forecast for the pre-season training week!

http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/vorhersage_diagramm/?city1=ATAT30588

Sue wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kendub wrote:
"It is an El Nino year"

Hot oceans = hot air temperatures.

It typically means hot weather and melting.

Like most of November so far.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spoke to my son in Sydney this morning - 40 degrees out there. We had winds of up to Force 11 again this morning. But signs for colder weather in the Alps look reasonably promising, don't they?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, i agree at least a shift back to season temps... just hoping some snow comes with it. Good signs higher up for snow over the next week although likely to fall as rain in most resorts.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
kendub wrote:
"It is an El Nino year"

I don’t think that follows. A degree (if that) hotter water a couple of thousand miles will make zilch difference directly. The El ninio effect is more about disruption of normal weather patterns. In any given place this can mean hotter or colder, wetter or dryer Etc. Etc.
snow conditions
ringingmaster wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
kendub wrote:
"It is an El Nino year"

I don’t think that follows. A degree (if that) hotter water a couple of thousand miles will make zilch difference directly. The El ninio effect is more about disruption of normal weather patterns. In any given place this can mean hotter or colder, wetter or dryer Etc. Etc.

Upper-ocean temps were about a degree below-average last year. The Alps were cold for most of the 2008-2009 season.

Upper-ocean temps are about a degree above-average this year. The Alps will be warm for most of the 2009-2010 season.

Anyone going on ski vacation should head as high as possible.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Upper-ocean temps were about a degree below-average last year. The Alps were cold for most of the 2008-2009 season.

The French Alps had slightly below average (on the 40 yr trend) temperatures for Dec, Jan, Feb so don't give up hope yet.

Still it looks like the 5th Dec when some resorts open will be largely on artificial base with just a bit of fresh from the 29-30th Nov.
snow report
Whitegold I really don't think two data points provide sufficient data to identify the correlation you are making. In fact, if you plotted the data you just described on a graph in a GCSE physics exam you would be horribly marked down because for insufficient data. I'm not saying there isn't strong data correlating El Nino and warmer than average temps in the alps (I have no idea if there is or isn't) just that as a general rule of statistics you need rather a lot of data before you can be certain.

However you are not alone, humans appear to be extremely good and identifying trends and patterns. I assume this is because this is an excellent way of learning most of the time (i.e. don't touch the cooker as it hurt last time). However, when it comes to statistical data, with noise, humans tend to be rubbish -see price bubbles, economic crashes etc for details. Furthermore, unless underlying mechanistic connection can be identified, it is always risky to observe existing correlations and assume that they always hold.
snow report
Quote:

So I just hope that this is a load of old tripe!

I think that's a fair bet, Samerberg Sue. wink
latest report
I was so hoping for snow last year before my trip to verbier that my trip was half ruined by........ too much snow

2 days out of 4 there were snow storms and 30 cms of powder on the pistes + wind and poor visibility. Be careful what you wish for ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowforever wrote:
I was so hoping for snow last year before my trip to verbier that my trip was half ruined by........ too much snow

2 days out of 4 there were snow storms and 30 cms of powder on the pistes + wind and poor visibility. Be careful what you wish for ! snowHead snowHead snowHead

That's why tree skiing was invented, sounds like bliss...
snow report
snowforever,

IMMUTABLE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE

1. There is no such thing as "too much snow".
snow report
Wags, that little bug is very clever..... had me poking my screen.

However, there is most definitely too much snow, if you're only there for a short time and all the lifts are closed. Happened last year to my niece in Val Thorens and a couple of years before to my nephew in Mammoth.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
The effects of El Nino around the pacific are fairly well known. The effects of El Nino on the North Atlantic and/or the alps are not.

Current Sea Surface Temp anomalies

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2009/anomnight.11.19.2009.gif
ski holidays
It's weather, it's ALWAYS anomalous.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's weather, it's ALWAYS anomalous

well if that was the case we'd never have any weather forecasts - but they've been doing rather well recently. All the gales, rain, etc have come along just as predicted. and unless they're wrong, there's no end in sight.
ski holidays
brian, nice to see you still drop in occasionally and correct us wink

And for anyone else with an early season trip planned it's probably worth noting that the last couple of runs have shown some precipitation back around the 28th Nov and 30th (dates uncertain, but most members seem to think there's something there), at least for the Switzerland area. Temps are still a bit high, but should be snow at altitude.

Hopefully that's the start of the season proper Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Thuile was supposed to open this weekend but it's not, there's no snow. I blame myself for starting to watch the web cams far too early!
snow report
queen bodecia, absolutely. The whole thing is your own fault. Not just La Thuile, the whole Alps. wink It's very early; whilst some high resorts have always opened early, is it my imagination or are some pretty medium kind of altitude places looking at some silly-early opening dates? La Thuile resort is below 1500m for goodness' sake!
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Upper-ocean temps are about a degree above-average this year. The Alps will be warm for most of the 2009-2010 season.

??????? Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
In amongst the doom and gloom there is always Bastardi. Is he right? Is he wrong? I don't know, but I do like what he is saying about the rest of the season...

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=netweather

Very Happy
snow report
Bastardi seems like a bit of a nutter, but perhaps that's just me. Loud echoes of axes being ground!
snow conditions
what do the colours represent on these monthly graphs in his link, temperature???
snow conditions
cheers, was getting worried because greenland was looking rather warm in feb!!!
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
what do the colours represent on these monthly graphs in his link, temperature???
Above and below seasonal average. See the scale at the bottom.

Quote:

Bastardi seems like a bit of a nutter, but perhaps that's just me. Loud echoes of axes being ground!

Er yes, not too sure about his broader argument.
snow report
If you want to find the GFS graph near your destination ski resort I have tried to capture them here:

http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/mapgfs.html

Note: This does not display all ski resorts in Europe but should help you find the nearest GFS graph - comments/suggestions appreciated
ski holidays
ski-finder,

Legend! Thanks for that! Very Happy
ski holidays
ski-finder, yes, good resource! snowHead
snow conditions
Wags wrote:
snowforever,

IMMUTABLE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE

1. There is no such thing as "too much snow".

That bug had me fooled!! I tried to brush it off the screen Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy