Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 09/10 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
ski-finder, snow-forecast (which I believe is GFS-based?) is showing 4150m and 3950m FL for 21/22 November. I've found that their FLs tend to drop as the days get closer, thankfully. But it's a long way out. And there's still a couple of weeks after that for it to get cold and wet. Or even cold and dry would be acceptable, so they can blow snow. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, let's hope Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Anyone know why that horrible green line looks so...... horrible??? A glitch surely?

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like it was a glitch as it's now sorted itself out looking far less scary! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it all looks horrible. I don't think I'm going to look at another forecast for a week, and then hope for a lovely surprise (or a least for freezing levels a bit lower than 3000m).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Terrifyingly tropical Shocked In Tignes in 2 weeks. Gulp Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Munich a few days ago.

In a tshirt. In blazing sun. In the middle of Nov.

Not good.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, if that forecast holds you'll be fine.

remember that the forecast id at 850hp - this equates i believe to about 1500m above sea level. so from the 25th on freezing should be below tignes, and by the end of forecast below les brevieres, also being below seasonal average. lots of spikes and activity on the precipitation so should be something falling.

(i know it's a forecast and they change all the time, but everyone seems to be doom-mongering based on the same forecast)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rogg, I'm an eternal optimist and 2 weeks is one hell of a long time in November. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rogg, I wasn't meaning to doom-monger.. but that green line consistently over 10oC scared me! Seems to have sorted itself out and although a long way out looks for more healthy Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski-finder, the green line is very highly strung and often pops out the back for a quick toke to calm it's nerves. it's imagination runs riot and it predicts doom and gloom when the paranoia hits in. the grey line is the average of all the runs, and is altogether less inclined to partake, so is more likely to have a more rounded outlook on life. i reckon if you're going to take a stab at longer range, the grey fellas the one for a punt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

2 weeks is one hell of a long time in November

thefatcontroller, you are, of course, absolutely right. It is nonetheless dispiriting to see forecasts of days and days of 3500m freezing levels, just as it was exciting to see all the new snow two weeks ago. I said then that weather in November is pretty irrelevant to what happens by Christmas and I was roundly castigated by some SHs - but the same holds true now. Most of the new snow is going to have melted before there's much chance of any more - but it only takes a couple of good storms to transform the picture.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowforecast doesn't look great but this 15 day forecast suggest some light at the end of tunnel......

http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=EUR|CH|SZ023|VERBIER&metric=1

ps I was looking at Sunday 29th. May have changed again by the time you read it.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Long way out but the longer range forecast does at least seem to show temps back towards seasonal average nearer zero, latest run showing plenty of precipitation activity too... we'll have to wait and see Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It does not look good for the next couple of weeks and I see openings are being put back indefinitely all over Austria Sad

That said maybe we have been 'spoiled' in the last couple of seasons with the good early snow. As long as it comes in December then I'll be quite happy as in a way the last couple of years massive early snowfall was damn all use to most of us who will head out Xmas week at the earliest?

Despite the good start to 2008/09 there was relatively little snowfall in many places in Austria from Xmas through to the third week of January. When we arrived on 16th Jan pistes were very well covered but hard and icy Shocked
snow report
robboj, speak for yourself, I'm avidly watching every wiggle ahead of my first trip in a week's time. And it doesn't look that bad - there's probably a temp drop coming around the 23rd, with the possibility of some precipitation after that (normal caveats about it being far too far away to draw any meaningful conclusions etc. etc.). It does seem to depend heavily which run you're looking at though... the 06Z is a definite favourite at the moment Smile
latest report
ChrisWo, definitely seems to be an improved outlook in perfectly good time for the season start. Where are you heading?
snow conditions
ChrisWo, sorry for possibly dumb question but what do you mean by "06Z run"?
latest report
bobinch,

To quote the 'master of wigglies' carled.

Ensembles:
All the major numerical models (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO etc) run more than once each time they are issued. The reason for this is that although they each get fed a lot of data into them for each run, the data can never be considered perfect. To counteract this the model is run again with slight changes to the original data. Using the GFS as an example, the model is run 10 more times, 5 times with the data positively changed and 5 times with the data negatively changed.

By following the ensembles you can get an idea of the likelihood of the forecast given by the main (control) run of the model being correct - if a large number of the ensemble runs are very similar to it, it is a good indication that confidence is reasonably high of the outcome. If very few of the ensemble runs show that outcome, then it is quite probable that it may well change.

The ensembles are done four times a day and are known as "00z", "06z", "12z" and "18z". They are generally available on about a 6 hour delay, so you can see the 00z until around midday, when it will change to the 06z and so on... The data input into the forecasts changes on each run as follows:

00z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data, country data, NOAA data
06Z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data
12Z - Shipping data, Satellite data ONLY
18Z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data, country data, NOAA data

Basically you want to see low temps in conjunction with precipitation in order to achieve the best snow possibilities!

Have a look at the Beginers guide to......... at the top of the Snow reports page Cool All the info you need is there.
snow conditions
The wiggly consensus seems to be for a cooling trend from the 27th onwards Very Happy We just need all the runs to start to agree in unison but I am going to stick my head above the parapet and suggest the end of the month into early December is starting to look promising.
snow conditions
Quote:

That said maybe we have been 'spoiled' in the last couple of seasons with the good early snow.

Have we? Last year was certainly good, indeed exceptional, but I recall early 2007 being fairly rubbish.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That said maybe we have been 'spoiled' in the last couple of seasons with the good early snow.

Have we? Last year was certainly good, indeed exceptional, but I recall early 2007 being fairly rubbish.
Depended where you were. In the East it started very well, deep snow falling in Austria from mid November, though a complete drought all through February. There are some echoes this year of early 2006/2007, but then it just didn't snow and stayed warm all through December and much of January, hopefully the temperature drop will come end November, early December!!
latest report
ski-finder, yep, I'm sure it'll be fine by early Dec...it's just how quickly that cold snap arrives that bothers me wink

Not sure where we're off to yet...have flights to Zurich, but from there who knows. Possibly Zermatt/Saas Fee, given the recent temps and lack of snow...
latest report
pam w, Austria was fine, couldn't give a forwhatsit for anywhere else Madeye-Smiley especially the land of the cheese eating retreat monkeys Laughing That said Italien und Schweiz were also at least OK, which is fine by me Little Angel
ski holidays
I predict sod all snow and sod all lifts open until the new year.
There, someone had to say it. I couldnt care what the wigglies say, when it's foehn time nothing makes sense. 14 deg C at 1300m yesterday, awesome. Even the grass has started growing again Sad
ski holidays
robboj, you should apply for the job as president of the EU,I think they are looking for someone who doesnt sit on the fence wink
ski holidays
You miserable beggar, it'll be fine by week 2 of December, snow everywhere. IT WILL BE FINE.

I might pack my bike.
ski holidays
hedley, Don't worry, I just like a little banter with pam w,

Zell am See at around 1400m on opening day 2007. Very Happy

http://service.it-wms.com/zellamsee1/archive/archive_picwindow.php?day=17&month=11&year=2007&filename=2007-11-17-1017_1.jpg&cam=1

Same shot, same date 2009 Sad

http://service.it-wms.com/zellamsee1/archive/archive_picwindow.php?day=17&month=11&year=2009&filename=2009-11-17-1521_1.jpg&cam=1

Dancing and chanting may be required Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doesn't lok so bad to me. Was expecting a green field!
ski holidays
snowforever, well it would have been a lovely white field just a short while ago and will become a greener one shortly. The webcams I watch, all white up to a few days ago, are now green; snow seems to be melting at a phenomenal rate in balmy and unseasonal temperatures which look like continuing for some time to come.
ski holidays
pam w, what are the closest co-ordinates for you then? Looking not too bad after 23rd Nov for 7 46
snow report
Geneva latest GFS run:

Looking OK for 30th onwards...
latest report
What we need is snowangel to impart for full moon forecasting to tell us when to expect the next bug dump. Very Happy
snow conditions
tobymory wrote:
What we need is snowangel to impart a full moon forecast to tell us when to expect the next bug dump. Very Happy
snow conditions
tobymory, did you just quote yourself?? Smile
ski holidays
Oops. Sorry, fat fingers on my keyboard... Sad
ski holidays
ski-finder, Actual coordinates are 6.550 45.750

All looks a bit undecided and unreliable to my (very unpractised) eye.
snow conditions
pam w, yes "undecided and unreliable" is a bit different to the current conditions continuing for some time. It looks like at a trend towards more seasonal temps, certainly no indications of 10+ degrees we've seen lately... maybe i'm just more naturally optimistic Wink or less of a realist! Time as always will tell!
snow report
For what it's worth:

http://www.accuweather.com/world-news-blogs.asp?blog=euro&partner=netweather&pgUrl=/mtweb/content/euro/archives/2009/11/european_winter_forecast_ask_bastardi_1.asp
ski holidays
I'm liking that! Probably worth about as much as a snow-dance, but still, makes good reading.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy