Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 09/10 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I tried to brush it off the screen

me too...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I tried to brush it off the screen

me too...

And me
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looked at metcheck this morning and things looking good for next week tempretures falling and up to half a meter forcast ps i know it is a week away BUT!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brock, Shhhhhhh... those wigglies are a bit confused and uncertain at the moment; you might frighten them away. wink
latest report
 brian
brian
GFS 12z is a belter of a run. Well over a metre of snow from Sun-Tues in places if that came off. Everything crossed. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, I know it's a really silly question, but any thoughts on temperatures thereafter?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, still there on the 18z too...now if only it could come forward a touch so I can see some of it before leaving on Sunday Evil or Very Mad

pam w, The cloud bringing the snow warms things up briefly, but it looks like some continued cool (around/below seasonal average) thereafter. Doesn't look very certain, but none of the members are showing much in the way of temp increases.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks very unsettled (snowy) through the first 1/3 of december.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm putting £50 on there being a biblical snowstorm hitting the haute savoie, and probably the rest of the alps but thats irrelvant to me, commencing the 29th of november.
latest report
 brian
brian
pam w, the trends are mainly suggesting continuing weather from the atlantic, albeit with signs of higher pressure to the north and the jetstream on a southerly track (which is good). So from that you would expect fluctuating but predominantly average to cool-ish temps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, good to have you back on thread Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A most unscientific method here, but the UK forecast is for temperatures to drop from the weekend, and we often get (a variation on) UK weather a couple of days later. It's not foolproof, but it's often more reliable for a general trend than looking at Meteoschweiz...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, I don't think there's anything too unscientific about your method when we're getting weather from the Atlantic
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the south side is going to get a hammering
latest report
 brian
brian
norris, agreed. The Italians are in prime spot for a pasting to be proud of.
snow report
hmm...checks when Gressoney opens....
snow report
brian wrote:
norris, agreed. The Italians are in prime spot for a pasting to be proud of.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Brian, I've always liked you. wink
ski holidays
So the fact we are in Cervinia on 4-6 December is a pretty good thing?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well I just got caught in a hail storm here, so snow in Solden on 6th Dec can not be too difficult for the snow gods Very Happy
snow conditions
Please let me down gently snow experts , as a Ste Foy watcher am I looking at a frustrating Sun and Monday watching loads of Snow on and just over the border in Italy but none falling in the Tarentaise with a Fohn wind , this of course doesn't include Val which will of course get the "return of the East effect" ????

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Peter Leuzzi,

From Meteo Suisse for Sunday:

"Sur le versant sud des Alpes Valaisannes, précipitations de barrage." They don't roll out that phrase unless the weather looks like meaning serious business.

I'd say Cervinia might just be ideal wink

For me in Valais and Rob Mackley over in Ste Foy, things are looking decidedly less interesting, the F word on Sunday, possibly some snow on Monday but amounts on the non-favoured side of the main ridge now looking somewhat underwhelming.
snow report
Possibility of sleety snow in the UK Midlands next week too. Yay! It doesn't feel like winter until I've seen a few white flakes...
ski holidays
If Meteoschweiz is to be believed (which it often isn't), we'll get a sprinkling of the white stuff here Mon night.

pam w, almost all our weather tends to come from the W and NW, even Siberian blasts seem to be N rather than NE/E. I can sit here at my desk and watch the weather coming down the lake from Zurich city.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good heavens - the wigglies for 1 Dec for Serfaus area in Austria are going a bit mad! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56634#1362276 Is that one mega dump?? snowHead
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Good heavens - the wigglies for 1 Dec for Serfaus area in Austria are going a bit mad! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56634#1362276 Is that one mega dump?? snowHead

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not all the runs are in agreement, so whilst you could say it is looking likely to snow, I doubt anyone can predict the amount, and even the various runs are not in agreement.

btw does anyone know the co-ordinates for Stuben?
snow report
kitenski, no bubble being burst - I'm not there until March! But most of the runs do seem to be in agreement for a big spike on 1 Dec don't they? Confused
latest report
Hoping that now that I won't be too jealous of the battering Italy will get , here's a translation of the French Meteo forecast for the Northern Alps sent from Henrys Avalanche today .

Monday
An unbelievable deluge in a storm from the south will punish us all night and
precipitation blithely continue until late next night especially in the North. The snow drifts from 2000m, then on the night of Tuesday, the winds reversed 180 degrees, still vigorous, and with the cooling and refreeze, the latest snowfall accrue from 1000m.

Hope this means Tarentaise gets walloped as well . Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Runs to resort in the Lake District are 'wet' I see - Is Glenshee open yet?
snow report
cathy, Yep almost all of them are in agreement. It's never set in stone though even when they all agree!
ski holidays
I can't find any talk of unbelievable deluges. Where are they now?
snow report
I think it's been downgraded a fair bit unfortunately Sad
snow conditions
I say it over and over again on these pages, but forecasts without any estimate of reliability are a right pain. One of the strengths of some of the French forecasts.
latest report
I've just caught the 'snow report' on the weather on Sky news. The reporter advised in doom-laden tones, that it's been a very disappointing start to the ski season, and many resorts are worrying. Aren't we still in November Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

Aren't we still in November

Indeed we are, but it seems that a few good early starts recently have convinced some people that skiing starts much earlier than it used to. Christmas has always been, and remains, a dodgy time to plan a ski holiday - and Easter, even when it's quite late, often has much better cover (not to mention nicer weather). But that won't stop me (and others who hope to be skiing at Christmas) from watching the forecasts anxiously from now on. I shall also be skiing at Easter....
latest report
pam w wrote:
I say it over and over again on these pages, but forecasts without any estimate of reliability are a right pain. One of the strengths of some of the French forecasts.

The Chamonix forecast is the most reliable of the ones I've used. http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreMatEn.php It's forecasting 30 - 50cm on Sunday night and Monday. This is significantly more than Snow-forecast.com Very Happy
snow conditions
kitenski,
Quote:

btw does anyone know the co-ordinates for Stuben?

These should be the <<wigglies>> & <<meteogram>> about 15km SW of Stuben (near St Gallenkirsch / Gaschurn), so pretty close.. Blush

Starting to look a bit more hopeful from tomorrow - lots of nice deep purple over the Alps snowHead

From <<NetWeather>>

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 29-11-09 12:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
bobinch, let's hope that chamonix meteo (I agree, a good one) is right about the reliability of their forecast of foehn winds and rain later in the week being "poor" and that they'll turn out to have been wrong. wink
ski holidays
Stuben

http://www.maplandia.com/austria/karnten/villach-land/stuben/

46° 42' 0" North, 13° 41' 0" East
latest report
Is it possible to get these 'wigglies' for North America?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy