Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Any snowHead in Chamonix tomorrow? I have to go across to pick up my boots. I'm flying solo so PM me if you can ski, are equipped, and are interested in a bit of exploring. Maybe an Envers du Plan followed by some of the routes from the mid station....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some pics from Aiguille du Midi today http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61055&highlight=

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bobinch, if you are there around 27th March to 2nd April it would be great to meet up. I am sure you can show me a few things!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Touchguru wrote:
bobinch, if you are there around 27th March to 2nd April it would be great to meet up. I am sure you can show me a few things!

Only ski the weekends but if I'm there that weekend happy to meet up. PM me closer to the time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied off the Hellbroner today. It was truly epic. Best day of the season. TR to follow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
looking forward to it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some pics from the Helbronner on Sunday http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1458900#1458900

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowHead's, don't suppose any of you know of an available room next Friday and Saturday night? I'm over for a couple of days with a mate and we don't really want to drive to and from each day. Have tried a couple of hotels but all full. Don't need anything fancy, just somewhere to sleep, have a shower and dump some gear. Any help much appreciated!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I usually call the TO if stuck, they have lists of available places...

No new snow at present but still plenty around, the cold has kept everything in good condition.

Nick at Grands Montets
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anybody know what snow conditions tend to be like mid early to mid april in Chamonix, just looking at Easter hols, but not sure what snow will be like. Thanks. Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
louised, dear louis, welcome to SHs.

If previous winters are anything to go by, pretty damn fabulous.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How are snow and skiing conditions at the top, middle and bottom in Chamonix at the moment?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold,
Quote:

pretty damn fabulous
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Whitegold,
Quote:

pretty damn fabulous

Any more detail, dude?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A TR with some pics from the weekend... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62011&highlight=

snow conditions
Any good ideas for accommodation for long weekend from 4th until 8th March in Cham??
snow conditions
I know a sessionaire couple who are out of town and want to sublet there studio to make a few euros. How many of you are there?
snow report
Currently in Argentiere.

It was hot today.

White everywhere but melting fast down low.

Sleeting this evening.
ski holidays
Whitegold, "sleeting" - au contraire, it was snowing then hailing. At least till now.
snow report
Hi all you Chamonix folk. Lots of wonderful stuff here about the fantastic mountains and back country skiing, but not so much about the town or ordinary piste.

A straggley group of us are going out the week after Easter.
Various ages (21 to 50something) and variable ability (young and fit but not skied for 6 years to old and creaky but ski quite a lot).
Staying at Les Houches and hiring a car. And we want to DO IT ALL.
All the runs, all the pubs, all the clubs, and the Vallee Blanche.
(I did the Vallee Blanche some years ago from the Italian side, but think it time I faced my fear of ridges and tackled the Arête).
ski holidays
Whitegold, under a new name, how were conditions yesterday? Decent dump on Thursday/Friday? And has the wind/rain messed it up overnight or still good high up?
ski holidays
bobinch, god knows what the wind did, blowing a (warm dry) hooly when I walked home around midnight.

Lovely around GMs yesterday, shame I missed the sunshine. Rain in town, looks like may be snowing higher up, warm though.
snow conditions
Jonpim, I don't know Les Houches town so well. Great restaurant "Marmotte" at Prarion bubble base station. Great restaurants "Terrain" and "Taniere" if LHs skiing still good.

Valley skiing pretty self evident. Brevent-Flegere south facing so sunny but clearly will go off quickly. Grands Montets is all it's cracked up to be and has the height for later season skiing. VB clearly worth a shot. The arete's roped these days so shouldn't cause you a problem.

Chamonix itself

Bars (brackets indicate the main lairy nationality): Chambre Neuf (Swedes), Pub (Brits), Bistro des Sports (French, not lairy), Jekyll (does good food)

Restaurants: Bistrot (amazing even though founding chef and sommelier have done their own thing at Cafe de l'Arve), Boccalate, Napolis, Munchie, Bergerie. We had a poor experience at the "Taverne de Chamounix" and have never returned.

Clubs: I prefer the Choucas, the Garage is too cheesy and the Tof is a last resort.

On mountain dining is mostly operated on behalf of Compagnie du Mont Blanc - they're trying to improve but it's nothing to write home about. At Le Tour there's a great little place beside one of the drag lifts.
snow conditions
Jonpim, love your atitude! You will have a great time.

We were in Les Houches last weekend and tried Le Delice and Le Basilic. Both pretty expensive. The food at the Basilic was ok but the food at Le Delice was pretty disappointing despite the very friendly owner. Alas we couldn't get a table at Munchies which we have found to be consistently excellent and is my favourite restaurant in Chamonix. Moral of the story is book the restaurants you want to go to early. That includes mountain restaurants.

On the mountain we liked the Panoramique at Brevent for the amazing views of Mt Blanc, Le Refuge de Lognan at Grand Montets for cozy atmosphere and good food, despite sometimes dodgy service, La Cremerie de glacier? off the Pierre a Ric run down to Argentiere for friendly service and good reasonably priced local fare - salads, croutes etc

I would also recommend booking yourself on the bus to Courmayeur for great skiing and fab mountain restaurants.

Apparently there is a great restaurant nr the gondola at Valllorcine (accessible by skiing down the other side from Le Tour). Someone on here will come along with the name.

Under a new name has covered the bars better than I could. Chambre Neuf always good for a post Vallee Blanche beer. There is a small wine bar called the Lapin Agile heading in towards town which is good for some antipasto and a glass of wine if that is your thing.
ski holidays
under a new name and bobinch, thank you for your excellent info.

Even with a rope I will still be panicking all the way down the Arête.

You missed off the main lairy nationality of the Jekyll, but I presume its
Scottish Toofy Grin

We don't tend to eat in restaurants on the mountain, but take our own food - would be useful to know friendly pic-nic places.

Take the bus to Courmayeur? What a good idea. Many years ago I drove through the tunnel but then had long delay in Courmayeur while we found a parking place. The bus would solve that problem. Tell me more. snowHead
snow conditions
Jonpim, get/rent adjustable crampons if you can. Make the arrete much more secure. With the security of crampons we were able to practically run down it to keep up with our guide. I'd say it is safer than roping up where you risk all crashing into each other if someone falls.

On the season pass (I think also included on the 6 day Mont Blanc Unlimited pass) there is a free bus that runs at 8.45 and 9.45 from the station. Rteturning at the end of the day. It stops at the main ski areas in Courmayeur. We took teh bus one way and skied back via the Vallee noire (the route from teh top of the Hellbroner cable car which meets the Vallee Blanche). That run is better than the Vallee Blanche but is glaciated so yu would want a guide to do it.

One day last April we had an outdoor picnic on grassy knoll to the skiers left of the terrain park with deli stuff and a couple of bottles of wine. Superb spot. Was probably as, if not more popular than the restaurants. You just need to lug all the stuff up and empty botttles down to Lognan.
latest report
Jonpim, oh yes, Lapin Agile. Very nice, very civilised, good wine list.

There's a picnic room in the Flegere cable car top station sells drinks, beers, wine, sandwiches (if you haven't brought your own). I expect there's similar at top of Brevent and at Lognan, if fact any of the top stations.

We took the bus to Courmayeur a few weeks ago which is handy but the bus goes to the main bus station which is a fair old walk from the cable car. There's probably a town bus to any of the main uplifts but we didn't bother.

We weren't impressed with the Delice either.
latest report
bobinch wrote:
Whitegold, under a new name, how were conditions yesterday? Decent dump on Thursday/Friday? And has the wind/rain messed it up overnight or still good high up?

bobinch, It rained heavily all day Sunday in Chamonix and mostly light snow up at Argentiere.

It was sunny and very warm (+10c) today, Monday.

Southfacing trails are getting battered and skiing down to Chamonix village is a hazard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, yep, felt like the Spring had arrived at Lac Leman today. I guess Grands Montets will still be in good nick. And I have no doubt that more snow and cold temperatures will be along soon. I threw some tea leaves on the Kuros and they predicted POWDER snowHead
snow report
Baking hot again today.

Huge onpiste avalanche at Brevent.
latest report
Weird, I was there and didn't see it.

Day before I was at Flegere - woohoo!

Me at Flegere!
ski holidays
firebug wrote:
Weird, I was there and didn't see it.

Pay more attention, dude.

There was a biggie up by the AdM, too.
snow report
firebug, that's probably the best photo I've seen on here all year Shocked you've got pretty much perfect focus on the background and the boarder. Is that great equipment or just photographic talent?
ski holidays
Snowed about 1cm today.

Slightly colder than previous days.
snow report
firebug, you're now gracing my desktop background, something a snowboarder has never done before
snow report
firebug, what an amazing photo
latest report
With a little tweak in "Photoshop."

snow report
hehe those mountains look a bit sharp & pointy now eh? thanks for all the compliments!

Whitegold, that avalanche was on the closed home run, you could see the debris today. You're right, it was massive! Really worrying as lots of people (me included) do that run when it's closed, rather than download on the lift. I don't think I'll be doing that again in a hurry.
latest report
firebug, agreed, it snapped off trees like matchsticks.

I didn't see the one up near the AdM / Courmayeur a few days back, but PisteHors reports it was a 1k+-meter slide, so it must've been even bigger than the Brevent one.
latest report
Whitegold, Seems it was on the Toula glacier above the Pavillon mid station http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/548/

For it to have gone 2000m it must have started above 3000m and gone all the way down. It would have to be huge to travel that distance!!! Anyone seen a photo?

Was on the pistes of Le Tour, GM and Les Houches at the weekend. Weather forecasts very inaccurate as the sun unexpectedly came out each afternoon rather thna the morning as expected. Pistes in good nick at GM. Harder and icy in places at Le Tour and Les Houches although still pleasant and our intermediate guests really liked the wide gentle slopes at Les Houches. I was trying to work out where the much talked about low viz off piste is in Les Houches but couldn't see much obvious stuff. The trees look pretty tight? Anyone care to share?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy