Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How 2 x £8.00 air tickets + luggage became £281.86

Poster: A snowHead
Kel wrote:
Anyway I digress, advise at the time of booking that you are a PADI qualified diver, show your card at check-in and you get an extra 5kg for free.

Interesting, as far as I know it doesn't work like that if you are a qualified ski instructor - at least I've never heard of a deal like that!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kruisler wrote:

The more airlines combine restricted bagages weigths with high prices the more people are going to turn back to their cars... On the continent probablu maybe even more so as they don't have the added cost of a channel crossing.

But most of them don't have "high prices". In the days before budget airlines, it would always be cheaper to drive, even with only one person in the car.

Nowadays, it is usually only cheaper to drive if you have 3-4 people in the car - and I expect your £1000 plus was for 4 people?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The more airlines combine restricted bagages weigths with high prices the more people are going to turn back to their cars... On the continent probablu maybe even more so as they don't have the added cost of a channel crossing.

Was only really UK+Ireland where flying to ski was the norm anyway, mainly due to geography. Dutch brochures had bus or ski train as default choice when I was there, discount for self drive, and a premium for flying. A large portion of Germany is within a "drive after work on a Friday" distance of Austria/Switzerland. Flights are for going to Winter Sun destinations.

Given that TO's include air travel including transfers, for a notional cost of less than the budget airline cost in the OP, and charge pocket money for the ski carriage, you'd have though they'd make a bit more effort trying to claw back the skiers/boarders that have gone independent.

Always wondered what the no-frills airline put in the hold? If everyone takes on 23kg wheelie bags as hand baggage, surely the plane will be top heavy? Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand wrote:
Kel,
It's like, why advertise cheap flights to summer/winter holiday destinations (aimed at those taking holidays) but only advertising prices for "one-way not including taxes"? Why, why, why Puzzled Do they not think that holidaymakers won't be coming back home? Just tell them in one sentence or price what it will cost to go there, come back and take a suitcase/skibag both ways FFS Evil or Very Mad
I like that aspect. It has been very useful when i wanted to move about a bit and was able to come home from a different airport - or once I went out by plane and came home by train.

Most of my summer trips with my wife( when we don't drive) we usually share one suitcase and both take the maximum hand luggage. But of course that doesn't work for skiing, especially now you can't take boots as hand luggage and perhaps have a helmet too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you all thick?

You dont book and pay for your £1.99 flight and THEN get a whole raft of additional charges....they all get added on BEFORE you pay.

This has been going on for years, its not a scam or a swindle - its all there in black and white (or blue and yellow)

Stop whinging about it - no one is forcing you to use them
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I got caught by flybe's site, they make it less than obvious that you don't have to reserve a seat and pay for the privilege of doing so.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney,

Yes, it was for 4 people... Groups of 2 or more people (family or friends) are still very very common though (maybe even the majority), and in that case, even for 2 persons, it would have been cheaper to drive...
Yes it used to be more expensive to fly but it doesn't really matter what used to happen "in the days".. People compare current prices..

There is obviously a market for "hand bagage" travellers otherwise the low cost airlines would not be doing so well. But the price hike in bagages charges is certainly pushing a growing number of people to look at trains or self drive as has been evident on this very forum.
It's a good thing in a way... except for people who can't/won't drive
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee, I agree.

Also... when I looked last week, Easyjet Stansted to Salzburg were much cheaper than Ryanair out of GTW.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Stop whinging about it - no one is forcing you to use them

Amen Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It really is time for advertising standards to be implemented forcing all advertised prices to consist of a standard set of 'addons' eg:

1 Adult
1 20kg checked in bag
Credit card payment

and put a stop to the stupidity.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
narc, Why?

Not everybody wants those "addons", so why should they be forced to show them.

The "stupidity" is only from the people who think they are somehow being "ripped off" because these charges aren't immediately obvious before you start the booking process.

You can't reach the payment page without seeing the entire amount that you should need to pay.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Those that feel they are being ripped off, maybe never travelled in the good old days! Sometimes you are lucky and get a flight without taxes and charges but see that as a bonus. If you expect to be transferred hundreds of miles for £1.50, it would be interesting how everything else in their life is valued! Maybe the house could be worth as much as $89!!!

Stop whinging and enjoy life more!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This Post answers all the questions as to whether BA or ryanair are better value Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
narc, Why?

The "stupidity" is only from the people who think they are somehow being "ripped off" because these charges aren't immediately obvious before you start the booking process.

You can't reach the payment page without seeing the entire amount that you should need to pay.

Because maybe 5% of customers actually pay the price advertised. For the other 95% it would be nice to have some clue as to how much you are likely to pay before going through the entire booking procedure or whether to even bother checking the price based on an advert.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
narc, you're right - two WHOLE pages of a website.... good god the evil swines!!
snow conditions
Quote:

two WHOLE pages of a website

well i'm on the 3rd page. it now wants passenger details. no ****ing way am I going to put that in. currently 2x€3, and i've ticked a box saying i want to take sports kit. how much is my return flight going to cost?

Lufthansa tells me the final final cost on page 2.
latest report
You must be doing it wrong... page 2 and it tells me the cost
snow conditions
only if you want exactly 0 extras. I want to check in 1 bag of sports kit.

edit: which i've worked out is 40 each way at least, but cba to work out if that's as well as the per bag fee, or includes the bag fee for that bag. but the 2x5€ checkin is waived cos it's a discounted flight.
ski holidays
narc wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
narc, Why?

Because maybe 5% of customers actually pay the price advertised. For the other 95% it would be nice to have some clue as to how much you are likely to pay before going through the entire booking procedure or whether to even bother checking the price based on an advert.

There is no "one size fits all" price, or anything near it. There is no one total which would be right for 90% of customers.

And it might be "nice", but why should that mean they have to do it?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy