Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
hari, there are a few snowheads out for the season based in LeChable and Nendaz. Must try catch up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like a very good idea - when do you arrive?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nov 28th via Tignes (tomoro) Have to go back to UK Nov30-Dec3. Then I'm out till May.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lucky you - enjoy Tignes

I'm spending the first week in Verbier and then will be banished to the dark side (La Tzoumaz) for the rest of the season. If they let me out, let's catch up ...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Magnum, cheers for the update - we're currently trying to decide between Saas/Zermatt, Verbier and Davos. Think you've just helped rule Verbier out... Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still open this weekend but only Lac de Vaux. The Attelas->Ruinettes run is closed as the snow has melted Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiied Lac de Vaux again today and the snow is still in very good condition. Attelas->Ruinettes was officially closed but had been pisted and was still very skiable. Everyone must have been reading the "don't ski closed pistes" thread on Snowheads because it was practically empty. You could just hoon from top to bottom which was a rare pleasure from the usual people dodging.

The lift company has done a good job with snow making because looking at the mountains you can see how much has melted since last week. Let's hope for snow this week!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New to the forum and planning to be in Verbier Dec 12-18, but not booking accomodation yet in case another resort close to Geneva shapes up better over the next few weeks. Stressful this time of year, I've never skied Alps before Christmas.

Looking forward to lots of snow over the next few weeks!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
out there a week today, tch-tching! can't wait. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's raining heavily in the valley now so should be snowing above 2000m. More forecast for Thursday and then a big dump on Monday. Looks good for next week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly wrote:
bobinch, rungsp, or anyone else for that matter do you know of a website with bus times for around the area? E.g. for Fionnay to Le Chable and to get back from other places one might end up if skiing away from the lift system.

Last year from Fionnay it was:

I tried to get down there once, hence why I have he timetable in my phone, but bottled out at Rosablanche as I couldn't work out the route and a guy at the top told me it's a bit hairy. I think Parlor has done it. We did ski down to Sarreyer from the bottom of Jumbo. Managed to hitch a lift back. It's not on the bus route so otherwise you would have to walk down to the main road or take 2 cars and leave one up there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rossablanche to Pralong is a great ski tour wink
We did it via Glacier Prafleuri - but via Combe D'Allves is also meant to be worthy.
Otherwise known as day 3 of the Haute Route....

Should find some good powder - and as a bonus there is a free bus from Pralong which takes you back into the far end of the 4 vallees lift system. (This is exactly the same bus that picks skiers up at the bottom of the excellent L'ethygeon ittenary run). However you need a brisk pace to do this tour in a day - If you get the 2.30pm bus from Pralong then a swift hoof back via the lift system will get you home just in time for happy hour at Pub Mont Fort.

Pics here.

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/verbier/VerbierTouringPralong.shtml

One word of warning - Just be careful not to ski the exit chute at foot of Combe De Prafleuri - as we found out this ends in a waterfall. Much better idea is to skin back up for 15 minutes and descend the snow covered access road for the Dixence Damn.

The descent from Rossablance to Fionnay is better known, probably because there isnt such great time pressure to catch a bus - but it faces SW. I havent actually done that one - but would like too. Or perhaps even Bec De Rosses to Fionnay!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 25-11-09 10:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
website with bus times for around the area?

postbus.ch - though the useful pralong bus is run by the lift company (I think).

ssb.ch - if you want to get train back from semabrancher (back of Bruson).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Swiss are just so flippin efficient: you can find any bus timetable on www.sbb.ch by just searching on your start and end point.
I know it is the Swiss Railways site but it does all the buses too (in my experience anyway)
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap,

nice pics, did an overnight to prafleuri hut and back last year to get away from the peak season crowds, great snow with no-one around Smile , even nicer knowing that the other people who had been there had paid for a ski-plane! (see the tracks in you 2nd photo)
snow report
^ yup - In Valais the heli's are only allowed to drop in 4 landing zones - Aiguilles Du Tour, Petit Combin, Pigne D'Arolla and Rossablanche.

Rossablanche can be reached in a short half day skin from Mont Fort - defn not worth paying 400chf for!
Apparently Petit Combin can be a worthy option if conditions are good.
latest report
Haggis_Trap, thanks for the tip for the Pralong tour. Will put on this years list. I have fond but rather hazy memories of Cabane de Prafleuri....

ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, thanks for those tips (especially the waterfall pointer) and nice TR's. Only have to get back as far as Nendaz anyway so as long as we make the bus it shouldn't be to much of an issue.

2 weeks to go, getting harder to concentrate on my PhD viva in 2 days rolling eyes

Edit to add: nice to see your snow obliteration has been going for a time

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/verbier/VerbierTouringPralong/2.jpg

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/DSCF4918.JPG

snowHead
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:

2 weeks to go, getting harder to concentrate on my PhD viva in 2 days rolling eyes
snowHead

Best of luck. 2 days more work in exchange for a season in the snow isn't too bad a deal!
snow report
bobinch, that's a great photo!

Swirly, good luck. snowHead
snow report
Thanks

GFS looks good for Sunday-Tuesday snow at altitude: http://91.121.93.17/pics/MS_746_ens.png
latest report
Swirly, good luck for the viva!
snow report
Verbier today

Powder heaven in the morning....

Lac de Vaux frozen over. Noticeably colder today.

An idea of the snowline. Verbier still well below it.

The closed run down to La Chaux- looked tempting! Petit Combin looks pretty tempting too!

The skiing is still excellent given the high snowline and limited area open.
snow conditions
Very easy walk along the track to Ruinnettes if you get tempted into La Chaux.
snow report
v nice pics, more snow on the way I hear..... snowHead
snow conditions
gilo wrote:
v nice pics, more snow on the way I hear..... snowHead

it was raining lower down in Le Chable this morning so hope that means snow up high.

Got a few runs in yesterday snowHead but had to come back to UK today Sad
latest report
bad luck Sad , I'm getting in the car in half an hour to go the other way snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Verbier today,it has been hooning down all day. God knows how much we have had. Obviously horrendous visibility today, but tomorrow should be fantastic!
ski holidays
Fifespud, great to hear. How is the course going?
ski holidays
Fifespud wrote:
In Verbier today,it has been hooning down all day. God knows how much we have had. Obviously horrendous visibility today, but tomorrow should be fantastic!

I have mixed emoticons Very Happy Sad Little Angel Toofy Grin snowHead Confused Cool rolling eyes

Back out thursday Very Happy
ski holidays
Touchguru wrote:
Fifespud, great to hear. How is the course going?

Dont want to say till the end. Flat light, eh no light, deep chopped up powder not condusive to successful dramatic changes in your technique! The glass is half full tonight though so looking up. The braccage training beginning to work!
snow report
Verbier are advertising a season opening celebration this weekend with 50% off lift passes for Saturday and Sunday. Sounds pretty good.

Fifespud, have they officially opened up down to Medran? There must be some good powder opportunities around Very Happy
snow report
bobinch, where did you see that? Hope it's true, me Mammy's visiting!

I was expecting snow tonight.... Puzzled
ski holidays
CSki, it's on the http://www.verbier.ch/ It's forecast to snow heavily overnight and has been raining where I am in the valley since 7pm so there should be some fresh stuff tomorrow.
snow conditions
There's a rumour going around that the La Chaux Express is broken and that they may struggle to fix it for Christmas. Anyone else heard anything?
snow conditions
Just back from a week in Verbier.
thursday's snow was light.
Only 2 lifts (funispace, Lac des Vaux) running... but the runs down to the bottom of Medran were occasionally open - when the viz was good, they were pretty awesome - and quite a challenge when the cloud was in.
runs were both closed mid-day on Friday, and definitely sketchy in places, as the cover is quite thin on the lower half of the mountain.

noticed a couple of other chairs starting to get set up, but they need another foot at least...
snow conditions
Over in Nendaz/Siviez the Novelli and Tortin chairs are now running. Nothing out of Nendaz itself yet.
ski holidays
Is the Grand Opening for Verbier still scheduled for this weekend does anyone know? I presume a lot more of the runs will be open then...?

I have flights to Geneva booked on Friday, just need to find a convenient resort that's open!
snow conditions
Steve Sparks wrote:
There's a rumour going around that the La Chaux Express is broken and that they may struggle to fix it for Christmas. Anyone else heard anything?

Sounds plausible as they have now opened Chaux 2 while Chaux Express has stayed closed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy