Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle, Missed that Shocked Stay off the pistes I say. Far too dangerous...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobinch, Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bobinch, we did notice a helicopter at about 1500m around that time as we were driving down.
The temperatures are very mild here at the moment and the snow was defiinitely wetter at about 1700m so by 1500m it could have been very heavy. Where we saw the helicopter was near some steep terrain and heavy trees on the left hand side as you go up the first chair.

Champec is quite steep and North facing (Reportedly has the highest average gradient of any resort) and has a few regular avi paths through the trees.
I skied it last week and it had a lot of snow and noticible wind drifted snow above the top track if you got caught here you would be in a world of sh*t if dragged into the trees.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
quote from Verbier61 on TGR:

Quote:
disaster avie bulletin from valais: 5 brits (all saved) in champex, one finn (saved) in marecottes, one valesan (died) in bruson's trees

The wind was really strong with the big snowfall of the weekend so it's not a surprise that there's been a lot of activity; also the snowpack's really wet low down. There has been a lot of bombing going on round here but I haven't seen that much evidence of natural activity, not to say it's not happening just not where we've been going.

Really cloudy this morning, probably down to about 2400m supposed to clear up a bit towards afternoon though. I'm going pistencarven with my mates.

Didn't go towards Mt Fort yesterday, think it would still be a bit dodgy although I imagine it's been done by now. That said there were a lot of guides with groups lower down the mountain so maybe they're of the same opinion.

Stay Safe everyone.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
bobinch, Swirly et al.

Anyone fancy a hookup next week? I'm out in the Anniviers skiing Tuesday to Saturday, flying home Saturday night. I wouldn't mind a trip round your direction but I won't have any transport so I'll need to investigate the bus situation. Would imagine there'll be some good skiing round our way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, I'll probably be going up on the Saturday morning. If you can get to Sion I might be able to pick you up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, got my car working finally (although still a bit dodgy*) if it looks like not breaking down again I'd be up for that.

* yesterday was a bit of an epic all told. It was my mates last day out here and although they're not exactly great skiers they can get down most things. We were heading down the Gentianes itinerary in pretty nice snow, in fact better than the first time I had them down it, when one fell over and dislocated his shoulder. He couldn't move from the pain and was in too much to be put in the sled. The ground was too steep for a heli to land so he got winched off and flown to Sion!

To collect him from the hospital me and his brother spent a while pushing my car up and down the car park failing to bump start it. Ended up paying for a mechanic to come up and jump start me. Only for the car to not start again when we came out the hospital. Decided to come back via Martigny to try and get some power in the battery, it started this morning when I tested it so hopefully it's ok now. Here ends a long story.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, ouch Mad hope he is allright. Sad Some consolation it was end of week.

Currently snowing in Le Chable and the temperatures have droped following a very warm spell. I had some friends over and spent most of the week skiing on piste with fat skis, ABS pack, beeper, shovel and probe. This included some gates until a 10 year old kicked us off his race course.
The pistes are in really good condition following last weeks snow and some dustings during the week. The warm temperatures and winds have left a lot off the off piste crusty so I was'nt feeling I was missing anything.
It looked too whiteout to ski anything high today so I thought I'd have a day off. But one of the housemates decided we should skin up to Bruson so we could ski back to Le Chable, Ironically we normally drive up to avoid skiing this track. It was icy chop but strangely fun. It ended the honeymoon period with the bases and edges on my new skis too Shock . Best of all it sweated out the Vin Cuisine we drank last night Shocked I bought 4 bottles to make a fondue I only needed half my French isnt good enough to bring it back to the shop so we decided it would be a shame to waste it, at only CHF2.75/L it could become the choice tipple of ski bums as the funds deminish end of season.
Heres hopin it keeps snowing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RPF, ha we did something similar with the vin blanc and fondue the other night. You about tomorrow?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, yeah up for a ski tomorow, Dylan is back out which is good for skiing good stuff Very Happy but not for touring Confused .
Maybe I can split his board for him Toofy Grin

I'll text or pm you later and we can see what conditions are like and make a rough plan.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool pm would be better, I managed to turn off my swiss phone having thrown away the bit of paper with the pin on it. rolling eyes Have to wait for a letter from the phone company.

I can lend him snowshoes if he fancies a walk wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Managed to catch one pic today on the mobile of richardlackey

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 9-03-10 19:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of photos in the Nendaz TR thread; cracking one of you in the dogleg. Also one of the traverse of death. Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yey! Nice photo Ross, cheers. I know you want to post the next one in the sequence though!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richardlackey, What goes on tour stays on tour wink
snow conditions

Fatties on piste (thats the skis not the skier thank you).
I'd never skied GS gates before so going into new terrain I made sure to be equipped with ABS, beacon, shovel and probe.
snow report
 brian
brian
Couple of pics from Resort Z freeride, which (officially) opened up today.

The entry gate is just over the hump at the top right of this one. Snow here was really nice. Very Happy

So, I took a little side step up to get onto the traverse to get out for ...

... which naturally I skied like a total gaper, got about level with people in pic and face planted with distinction. rolling eyes There seems to be a nice top layer of powder and then something crusty, if you dive through and under the crust, you're in trouble (either that or I'm just skiing crap, haven't fully decided).
ski holidays
brian, nice pics. I skied like a turd today maybe its just today wink
richardlackey, after the evidence you have of this on your camera I'm glad I didnt post the rest of the sequence Toofy Grin
latest report
RPF wrote:
Managed to catch one pic today on the mobile Swirly's mate Rich

Which 2 man is that in the picture?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fifespud, Lac de Vaux 3
snow conditions
brian, happy memories of sessioning that area for 2 days this time last year...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I'll just stick this in here, since it's only a valley or 3 away. wink The Zinal freeride event is coming up the weekend after next, with some (fashionable Toofy Grin ) kit on test ...

snow conditions
Looks good, especially the chance to test Jones boards, however, if it's freeride you want that's the weekend of the Verbier leg of the FWT.
snow report
Swirly, brian, RPF, bobinch, you guys seem to be doing a great job with the pics and reviews of piste etc.
heading out on 20th march with big group of buddies, a friend is out there though she's just re-broken her wrist Sad not so good.
Will be looking for some off pisteing and just wondering if u guys know some good and cheap guides, maybe of the type that don't mind being paid in beer.........?!?

Should be a group of no more than 5 looking for the backcountry fun.

Keep up the good work, been reading for a while and the anticipation is building like the crotch of a 13 yr old boy in a bikini contest!
snow conditions
xanderajma wrote:
reviews of piste etc.!
Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Swirly and gorilla made it round chez moi today. I think they quite enjoyed the pistes. wink I'm sure they'll give a review at some point ...
latest report
xanderajma, your best chance is if you bring a single, attractive girl with a penchant for bearded mountain men on splitboards.....
latest report
 brian
brian
bobinch, from what I hear, Julia Mancuso might be in with a shout, you're not bringing her by any chance, xanderajma ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch wrote:
xanderajma, your best chance is if you bring a single, attractive girl with a penchant for bearded mountain men on splitboards.....

or fat greeen skis, willing to shave NehNeh
ski holidays
Quote:

bring a single, attractive girl with a penchant for bearded mountain men on splitboards.....

Quote:

Julia Mancuso

Either or really, I'm not fussy. Mind my guiding isn't that fantastic, last time two of us went off a cliff.
snow conditions
Some pics from today. Great day.... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62906&highlight=

latest report
bobinch, That's a lovely image and a suitable epitaph to the Savolyeres gondola on its penultimate season.
snow conditions
xanderajma wrote:
reviews of piste etc.!
Shocked Shocked Shocked[/quote]
Yes i know ur a powder monkey etc and don't really do pistes with ur huge phat ski's, some pistes though. Ur identifying the good pow runs.....lol

brian , swirly and RPF worry not bringing with me 4 lovely single ladies and yes i'm pretty sure they like the mountain man/phat green skis/you boys i'm sure........

Julia, i'm waiting on her reply, but maybe not best to hold ur breathe, esp up at the altitude Shocked Shocked Shocked
though I hear Tora Bright is just across the border in Tignes after Xgames so will give her a shout lol[/quote]

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 15-03-10 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
xanderajma, please remove my name from above!!! Otherwise preggers is likely to belt me with one of said fat skis Evil or Very Mad
snow report
bobinch, you'll be wishing you skied everything on skinny SL skis!
snow conditions
No ski bashing today then! as requested

here its sunny sunny at the moment, little worried at rain forecast in a couple of days
latest report
Freeride World Tour finals at Verbier on Saturday http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1490278#1490278

Swirly, Julia Mancuso is one of the wild cards for the womens event Cool
snow report
It hasnt dumped proper here for nearly 3 weeks now I've not done much really good stuff for the past week. The pistes have been in superb condition and we've spent some time on them with some visitors. The off piste varies depending on the sun. But there is plenty of chalky grippy snow on faces that are not getting too much and the ocasional bit of soft in really shaded areas. A bit of work is required to get to the best stuff.

Ok we have been hard on CSki lately but obviously it has paid off.
Here she is loving the chalky chop

landing

and hiking to find more of the same (without the promise of gates on the far side) wink

Dylan contemplating the term stairway to heaven, he's figured out the stairway bit

and dealing with a frozen hydration pack

Here is hoping for snow at the weekend.
I'll be up for a ski if anyone is about send me a pm. Obviously Avi rescue kit and ability to use it will be required for off-piste.
I think its time to get the skins on and sweat out the beer and cheese of the last few weeks. Swirly and Gorilla will hopefully have a few good pics they were going for a tour today.
snow report
Just found a few pics from 10 days ago I hadent posted. There had been a cold spell since the last snow fall so things were holding up well.
Benji

Swirly

Benji
latest report
The views aren't too shabby from the top of Mont Fort

Backside of Mont Fort

Looking towards Zermatt

Mont forgotten the name Embarassed

The Matterhorn

Mont Blanc