Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans 2009-10 Season

Poster: A snowHead
MissRibena, Corvara has a few hot spots where the beautiful people hang out, such as L'Murin in the Hotel La Perla and Club Moritzino on the mountain at Piz La Ila (in the background of the ice bar pic above) & Toccami, get your D&G out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/oct/20/skiing.bars

http://www.moritzino.it/

http://www.toccami.cc/

New Year's Eve (Capodanno) is the big party in Italy, it will be chock-a-block then and through to the 6th Jan when the holidays end.

If I had 2 weeks, I'd be tempted to go for a two centre holiday, Austria would be my choice too, scenery in the Zell am See area appeals, apres at Saalbach is well-reported, Ischgl, St Anton & Mayrhofen too. AFAIK Nassfeld is more of a quiet family resort.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MissRibena, http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn I believe we have a couple of rooms left over Christmas here. I'll be there - fab place to spend xmas!! ...roll on 20th December! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just booked to some out to Arabba in early March, will be the second time we've been and cannot wait. When I start my snowdance Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+11 out there today, the snow is melting fast. The temps need to dive soon, we leave in 28 days. Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dear all - looks like snow is en-route!!! Very Happy Just to add for those still looking to book/arrange that Sue, a fellow snowhead, has been brilliantly helpful in sorting out our transfers, skipasses and all sorts of other stuff. I think others have vouched for this previously and I can certainly echo this with this plug. sue@simplydolomiti.com
luigi, thanks for the info and the snaps - can't wait to get to Secada and that run down to Ortisei... snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, snow forecast for this coming week. Thank @@@@. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started a new 'Sella ronda/Dolomites snow report 2009/10' thread over in the snow reports section, feel free to add your comments, forecasts and particularly any first-hand reports throughout the season, should be useful for any heading out that way this season:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57863
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi, wonder (I think I know the answer) whether you've skied the Monte de Seura/Pana area above Val Gardena? Looks like it could be an interesting and maybe v quiet area being well off the Sella Ronda - worthwhile a detour???
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DoubleBombardino, your confidence in me may be unfounded! wink

I've dropped down from Piz Sella to the Tramans chairlift just east of Mont de Seura, the Sassolungo really looms over you here. I believe they recently created a new piste linking down further into Monte Pana, but I've never been down there.

Monte Pana is the ski school area for Santa Cristina, so it's possibly not all that empty. The runs off Mont de Seura look interesting though, so it's definitely worth a look.

If you're looking for quiet spots around the area:

Try up the gondola in Arabba get off at the mid station and drop down the front face or head over to Passo Padon.

Around Cherz/La Vizza/Pralongia/Armentarola in the Alta Badia sector is usually really quiet.

It's never that busy in the Edelweiss valley above Colfosco.

The Col Gallina/Cinque Torri/Averau circuit in Cortina ski area is empty as it's so remote.

Or just pray for mucky weather, the Italians get up late, have a long lunch and pack up early or don't bother at all. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dear SH. This year we are for the first time visiting Dolomites. We find a very nice apartment in Corvara (http://www.homelidays.co.uk/corvara-in-badia/apartment-flat-154816en1.htm). Is there anybody who has experience with this apartment? I am interesting how far it from slopes or nearest lift is. Is it necessary to walk or it can be reached by skis? Also, how convenient is bus service? We are advanced skiers and it seems that best for us are Arraba, Passo Pordoi and Passo Sella areas, but they are far from Corvara. Yes, it can be reached by lifts, but maybe not for each day, so bus service can be one solution?! Another solution is car, is it free parking in those areas or it should be paid (price?).

We are looking for accommodation in Corvara because, according forums, this place is only which offer night life and some après and restaurants. Maybe we are wrong, so please give me tip.

Thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ipa76, welcome to snowHeads

Sorry I've never stayed in Corvara, only passed through on skis, but I looked at the map for the apartment, maybe it's too far to walk to the lifts from there, all the lifts and slopes are at the southern end of the village near where Strada Arlara meets the SS244, I think there is a ski-bus that connects different parts of Corvara or you can drive to the lifts.

It isn't far to ski across to Arabba (1hour), you will find some long, steep slopes there down from Porta Vescovo and over on the Marmolada. There are also some others nearby: the Gran Risa into La Villa, the Vallon on the way to Arabba, the Boe back into Corvara, the run at Col Pradat above Colfosco, the Dantercepies into Selva, the Saslong at Selva. These can all be accessed on skis. But there are also many blues around Corvara.

There is also some apres in Selva.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is also some apres in Selva.[/quote]

Getting back from Selva after the lifts have closed would have to be by Taxi. It's not too far though. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ipa76, Welcome to snowHead s.

Once you get to the main ski runs in Corvara you will ski everywhere. The only bus you need to take is from Pedraces to Kronplatz and Armenterola to the Hidden Valley/Cinque Tore! A fantastic ski region. Have fun.

Selva would have IMO the best of apres ski action in the area!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This time tomorrow, I'll be having a shant in the LuisKeller in Selva Very Happy
ski holidays
Go for it, downhilldai, just watch out for the crazy Luxembourgers that were in there last time I went!
ski holidays
luigi, I think they were the "Padddies" with accents! wink
ski holidays
luigi, thanks - twas very good. VIVA COLONIA!
Very Happy
snow report
Just a quick pointer for anyone looking for transfers to Val Gardena. We found on the www.valgardena.it website, a link to Terravision - a transfer bus/coach/taxi service which runs from all the main airports to Selva.

http://www.flytovalgardena.com/index_en_winter.htm

Return trip is 35 Euros per person. Their service runs 3 times a day. Although we had a bit of hanging around at the airport both ends, we were obviously the only ones who had booked that service and effectively had a private taxi to/from the resort. A brand new Jaguar on the way out and a 15yo Espace on the way back!

Overall, I thought this was excellent value, compared with the alternative option (& cost) of a hire car.
snow conditions
Hi

I'm looking forward to my 4th trip to SR/Dolomites area and am interested to read about the underground train at St Cristina. Is this a replacement for the bus you used to get after skiing the run past the Fish Castle to do the runs on the opposite side of that valley (I remember it being a very very quiet area serviced by a cable car which looks like something from the 1950's - cute). Am all giddy and wanting to plan my week as I really like to get around and explore every corner! Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get a normal service bus from Arabba to Cortina without having to do the rip off tour operators organised bus trip?

Many thanks
ski holidays
gallabar, The underground train connects from the bottom of the Saslong gondala to the bottom of the Col Raiser gondala.
There is no direct bus service from Arabba to Cortina, you might be able to get there by changing buses in say Corvara but it would take a long time even if possible.
snow conditions
gallabar, There is no bus to Cortina from Arabba, but there are minibus taxix in Arabba that will take you to Cortina or the Hidden Valley. Not sure they would be much of a saving on the TOs' trips though.

There is a way of getting from Arabba using the ski buses, but it is complex and rquires luigi, -like skills to do it. You go Marmolada way and get a ski bus to the bottom end of the Cinqi Torri.

snowHead
ski holidays
We're staying in Selva from 16th January and would like to ski The Hidden Valley. Could anyone point us towards the best way to do this. Can we do it on our own using lifts or do we need to join a 'tour'? Can it all be done on skis in a day or do we need to organise a taxi? Thanks.
latest report
Cogaula, Yes you can do it in a day easily and you do not need to join a tour. Ski to Armentarola via Covara where you catch a shuttle coach for about 5/6 euros to the bottom of the Lagazuoi cable car. The Hidden valley run starts at the top of cable car. At the end of the run you will be meet by a horse tow that will take you back to Armentarola for 2 euros from where you ski back to Selva via Corvara.
latest report
Great. Thanks for that.
snow report
Cogaula, As riverman, says it is very easy up Dantercepies and the long "Carlsberg" run into Corvara. My advice FWIW is take cable car up at Laguzoi and ski the black down to the same place and cross the road over to the Cinque Tore region. If not black run skiers just cross the road from cable car and ski it. Have lunch over there before coming back via the hidden valley! A great day and Cinqe Tore area does not get crowded!

Have fun. I am envious!
latest report
Roy Hockley, Cogaula, I'm staying in Arabba that same week so who knows we may even bump Shocked into each other! That is good advice from Roy - although when I did that same trip we found that 'black' piste back to be much more like a red and I think in fact it is now marked as a red so nothing to worry about...The only downside of lunching at Cinque Torre is not lunching at Rifugio Scotoni 1/2 way down the Hidden V - they do great grilled meats. Have a great week snowHead
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, We did hidden valley last year having skied there from canazei. The year before we did cinq torre having gone on a bus with the tour operator. This year going again with friends and would like to do both by ski. My question is, I think I can get to cinq Torre, but how do ou get back to the gondola for the hidden valley. Is there a new chair?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mfamily2, there's a new chair that makes a full one-way circuit around Col Gallina/Cinque Torri/Averau.

Cross over the road from the Hidden Valley (Lagazuoi) cablecar and ski down to the base of the Cinque Torri area, catch the chairs up, the rope-pull at the top, down the other side, peel off to the right to the new chair that goes back up and over and ski back to the cablecar ( a bit flat in places, so keep momentum):

http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/laga5torri/inverno/averautroi.html

There's a link to a map on that page that might make things clearer
snow report
luigi, Thanks for that, I have not been for a couple of years and we had to down the front face of the cinque tore and catch a bus! Glad to know there is a "slippery" way down also!

DoubleBombardino, You could always have two lunches! wink And a few beers to wash it down with!!!
snow report
luigi, Nice one thanks.
snow report
Excuse me for asking a daft question but why do most people fly to Venice or Verona for Corvara. Half of our group are flying into Innsbruck and their transfer is much shorter. Is it purely cost or is the road from Innsbruck to Ata Badia a bit dodgy? Any tips on transfers to Corvara will be much appreciated.
snow report
Louis, I'd say cost as the roads from the south and west over the Campolongo and Gardena passes are probably more prone to temporary closure than the road to the north. Maybe also, some people don't think to fly to one country when the final destination is in another, even if it is nearer.

Innsbruck flights tend to come at a premium as it's a convenient airport for so many resorts in Austria as well. The budget airlines also fly frequently to Venice, Treviso, Verona, Bergamo and Brescia, keeping costs down for independent travellers. The charters seem to favour Verona for Dolomite packages. Although Inghams used to do flights into Bolzano which made for really short transfers to Val Gardena resorts.

I flew into Innsbruck for Selva once, the transfer wasn't as shortas it should have been as the Italian bus obviously didn't have the requisite Austrian vignette to use the Brenner motorway and we trundled up the old Brenner Pass road right to the border, then he used the motorway down the Italian side.

Last year I flew to Verona with Thomson/Crystal for Canazei, the transfer was operated by Walter Reisen from the German-speaking locality of Tramin/Termeno (South of Bolzano) and all the drivers were speaking German amongst themselves down at Verona airport, then had to speak Italian to the rep as that was their only common language, borders are a bit blurred in this area.
latest report
luigi, Being half Italian from the Trentino Alto Adige I'm embarrassed to admit that I've not skied much in Italy!!! I want to start exploring the Val Gardena/Sella Ronda and Marmolada areas and would love some info about where to start. I'm likely to be going on my own, and from the various posts I've been reading, it looks as though there are all sorts of organised daily ski trips eg WW1 route, which I could join. What are your views/experience? Would really welcome some input!! Smile
latest report
Cipria wrote:
luigi, Being half Italian from the Trentino Alto Adige I'm embarrassed to admit that I've not skied much in Italy!!! I want to start exploring the Val Gardena/Sella Ronda and Marmolada areas and would love some info about where to start. I'm likely to be going on my own, and from the various posts I've been reading, it looks as though there are all sorts of organised daily ski trips eg WW1 route, which I could join. What are your views/experience? Would really welcome some input!! Smile

Don't know if you've spotted it, but there's a group of SHs heading of to Arabba at the end of Jan - see the snowheads 6th Birthday Bash thread in snowEvents. Just in case you wanted to see if you could join in the fun rather than be on your own Very Happy
We went to Campitello in the Val di Fassa area of Sella Ronda last year and had a great time. Happy to share some views/info about it, but I would certainly say a good place to start is to read the trip reports re the Sella Ronda (and some specific villages, I can't recall exactly which ones), some really good advice in there plus threads such as "Arabba".

What sort of experience do you seek - leisure, scenery, food, hard and fast, etc?
snow report
luigi, we are flying in Venice for Corvara cos that's where Colletts arrange the transfer from; I guess they must have their reasons....
latest report
Have Inghams stopped the Bolzano flights now?

We used this route a few years ago and it was by way and far the easiest and quickest transfer I have had to Arabba etc. Also it went out on a Saturday afternoon so we missed the early morning torture that most charters inflict on us.
snow conditions
CP A lot of flights were delayed by fog. As far as I know that's why Inghams have changed airports. Last year we flew to Brescia with Inghams and ended up flying home out of Bergamo instead.[/b]
snow report
dippdydoodogg, Ah fog - they like a bit of that in Northern Italy - we were delayed for 7 hours once at Treviso, not because of fog there but fog at Venice. Loads of flights, scheduled I guess, were diveterd into Treviso and it was carnage!!
latest report
CP, I don't think Inghams even do Arabba or Corvara now. Looks like they only do Selva and Ortisei. I think Neilson are the only large TO doing Arabba now. I.e. a TO who has their own charter flights etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy