Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes, Autumn interseason & winter 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
little tiger, it only lasts a day or two anyway. I think I'll save the money and stick to whisky and lemon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard, Sad Hope you both get well soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today was very nice in the morning although chilly on the Cretes. It was positively mediterranean on the nursery slopes at midday. Very Happy Photos of cannons in action at around 11.30 and the moon over the Grande Pente at about 17.00
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, sounds like what I've had over Christmas - tiresome but relatively short lived as you say. I found soluble paracetamol pretty good. Hope his foot settles down quickly too. Nice Google Earth download - thanks. I have seen it before, but it seems to have been updated.

easiski, just so there's no confusion here, the question about Valentin was pure idle curiosity - not any kind of hankering after trying it Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly, it's a hand. Unless you know something I don't! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Embarassed that'll teach me to read things more carefully Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It poured with snow all day today with the exception of about 30 mins when it just snowed casually! This is good, of course, for the conditions, but bl**dy miserable to be out in all day teaching! More snow is forecast for the rest of the week, I just hope it's polite enough to only come at night! rolling eyes
Pic looking down Lutins from the top at about 17.10 this evening. It was a bit brighter than in the pic as the camera insisted on flash. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
today it rained again in the village. Fortunately not the very heavy rain of last week, but still wet and horrid. We did see a bit of sun and the odd spot of blue sky, but you can imagine what the snow was like low down by mid afternoon. rolling eyes I did find some quite pleasant (if not powder) snow between the Tete Moute and the Grand Nord bis, but the light was very flat, so it was totally impossible to see the contours of the slope - made for some fun moments!
pic of nursery slopes looking up to the hill.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, the snow at the top was nice (and lots of it), but theick fog made things a bit confusing. I nevertheless managed to board from 3200 back to 2600 twice at a reasonable speed and while remaining mostly upright. Spiffing!

JC scooted round the hill all day and then boarded back down the Y with a broken hand and one glove on. Shocked He forgot to call you about the mitt, I will remind him.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, your photo makes the conditions look nicer than in reality - hope you have dried out by now!
80 days till we set off for LDA now - just time to take a trip around the world first, of course fitting in a week in ADH on the way in 31 days time Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, All looks a bit different from when we were there! I'm really sad that we aren't going there this season, just too expensive! But keep up with the good work with the pics and reports - it's the next best thing.
p.s. give Ioda a cuddle from us!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, it was a pleasure to see you and meet Sarah yesterday evening. I hope we'll come over on Fri.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
youspurs1, Just a bit! Ioda says hello - he keeps letting his girlfriend into the house and she eats all his food. Twisted Evil

horizon, Yea - lovely and super to meet Victor too.

Today was supposed to be the best day of the week, and I was pleased it was warm in the morning and it seemed quite pleasant until about 11.00 when it started to rain. Sad The rain got steadily harder and the wind got stronger until about 13.30 we were all soaking and the rain was being driven into us almost horizontally. Not surprisingly my early afternoon lesson decided not to play, but in the meantime the rain turn to snow, and then stopped. By the end of the day it was dry (ish) and looking much better (see pic)... hmmm

These last two weeks have been really horrid weather-wise - when will it end? The tourists are all pi**ed off and the workers are all as grumpy as me!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We could have stayed in bloody Scotland for this sort of rubbish. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to hear about the British weather you're having - surely over a certain height it must be snowing though, even if you can't get up there due to wind. The picture suggests it's not washing the snow away, so what is the effect of rain on it? I guess initially it makes for an icy top layer after an overnight freeze but what about longer term - does it help or hinder the quality of the snowpack for the coming weeks/months? Does it for example make avalanches more or less likely or make no difference?

I know lots of us back here take a keen interest in your weather conditions with a desire for "our week(s)" to be good ones. Do forgive us though, when we only get a precious 1-2 weeks to ski, there's a natural fear the weather could ruin them! At least those of you who live there get a lot of weeks and a good percentage of them will be good'uns!
ski holidays
Butterfly, It is washing away the snow. If nothing happens (colder weather for the cannons or more natural snow) before Friday there won't be a Fleche because there won't be any snow on the Stade! The snow is slushy later - like late April/May. Avvi danger has been downgraded from 4 to 3 today, but is very dodgy indeed. Of course it's been snowing higher up, but if you can't get there it doesn't help much does it?

We all hate it. Believe me it's not fun being stuck outside all day and soaking wet by lunchtime even through Gore Tex extreme gear and lots of layers. We also do understand how horrid it is for peeps who've looked forward to their hols etc. There's nothing we can do though (although some make you feel as though you'd spoiled their hols on purpose). I'm just telling it like it is.

Today has less wind, and is supposed to be OK - but that was yesterday wasn't it? rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Not much fun being ranted at in half a dozen different languages either. Central ticket office had to call the gendarmerie the other day because people were being so aggressive towards the staff. Shocked
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
The rain got steadily harder and the wind got stronger until about 13.30 we were all soaking and the rain was being driven into us almost horizontally. Not surprisingly my early afternoon lesson decided not to play

It was me Embarassed Embarassed , the weather was truly awful though: horizontal rain, blowing a gale, the world and his wife on the slushy lower slopes, where's the fun in that Puzzled We sat down for a good old chat instead Laughing

Butterfly the rain is damaging. The snow on the lower slopes is washing away, yesterday you could see the brown patches becoming bigger before your eyes from the morning to the afternoon. To ski on it is like rock hard crud in the morning then slush in the afternoon.

It has been a nicer day today, first blue skies since Sunday and the sun even popped out for a bit after lunch.

Fingers crossed for a nice day tomorrow.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Not much fun being ranted at in half a dozen different languages either. Central ticket office had to call the gendarmerie the other day because people were being so aggressive towards the staff. Shocked

Unbelievable, can't understand that. You have my sympathy.
snow report
Hmmmm, we arrive Saturday!!

Have been looking forward to it.... fearing the worst after reading the last few posts!!

We went camping in Scotland in summer and poured down every day except one!!.....
snow conditions
Lizzard, Not surprised to hear it, but rotten all the same.

PaulW, There is clearly great snow at Cretes and above so long as it's not too windy, so don't despair. 2 weeks of this sort of thing must be a record here! Sad

As sarah, said it was much nicer today. Quite bright all day, very reasonable viz, good snow on the Cretes - yes I got that far today ( Shocked ) and spots of sun from time to time. There are big-ish icy patches at the bottom which didn't totally slush up today, which is a good sign (colder), and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It does look like the Fleche tomorrow will go ahead, so that's good. Young Marie is a snowHead but I don't know her screen name. I don't think she'll be beating the Flying Bogie's Vermeil, but for a first GS - especially in this stade - she'll do well if she gets down TBH with the ruts they'll have.

We skied down the Diable which was hard, icy in patches, but with enough snow not to make it a nightmare. That is except for the young french woman we found near the top trying to slide down on her bum holding her snowblades and with no gloves on. Shocked Shocked Neither she nor her friends had spotted the tell tale black poles at the side of the piste, or the black discs, or the name of the piste which should give anyone a clue ... I think I managed to persuade her that to continue was tantamount to suicide!. Hopefully she walked the 100m back up to the Telesiege des Vallons.

Later on the nursery slopes they basically turned off the lifts because it got busier and busier at 17.00 approached with peeps trying to ride 3 on a perch etc. That was a nightmare trying to teach.

Just when you think the town is already full of Italians, more come along. Shocked Shocked Blimy - I'm so glad I live down here now. Very Happy Very Happy

Pix of view up from Cretes and a rather fetching (satin effect) outfit I spotted on the Viking this morning.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
latest report
Quote:
There's nothing we can do though (although some make you feel as though you'd spoiled their hols on purpose). I'm just telling it like it is.
Indeed and most of us know that and really appreciate the warts'n'all reports, even if some are Sad .

Quote:
Not much fun being ranted at in half a dozen different languages either. Central ticket office had to call the gendarmerie the other day because people were being so aggressive towards the staff
That is awful. Emotions are bound to run high with massive disappointment but precisely what do they expect the locals to do?

Easiski, Thanks for the pic of the suit that brightened the day for you! Let's hope the weather follows its example!
snow report
Quote:

precisely what do they expect the locals to do?

Refund all their expenses for the week every time they see a cloud, it seems. Laughing

The DAL has actually given away a bit more than it was obliged to, but people don't generally realise that.
latest report
Lizzard, good morning & Happy New Year to you. I hope your throat is better and that the ingrates are in an improved mood for the New Year weekend.
ski holidays
Lizzard,
Quote:

We could have stayed in bloody Scotland for this sort of rubbish.

Not at the moment you couldn't Very Happy Snowing again this morning at sea level in Aberdeenshire with temps around freezing. At the ski resorts I don't think temps have risen above freezing since well before xmas. Lat time I was at CML the powder was a bit crusty and tracked out in a lot of places, but still good if you know where to look. Should have been topped up since then as there has been a lot more snow since.

Hope the weather improves in mainland Europe soon.
ski holidays
snowHead snowHead Happy New Year to all. snowHead snowHead

easiski, Thanks for easing my fears...... Im sure it will turn out good!! Lets hope for lots of snow during the night and cold bright blue skies during the day
latest report
easiski, How is La Grave at the mo? Looks pretty sketchy at the top on the webcam
ski holidays
PaulW, we've been getting the opposite Sad had a couple of really clear nights and rainy/snowy days.

Anyway don't worry. This morning it was much nicer, blue skies, sunshine and great snow up top. Now it is snowing hard down here. Have a good trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gsyfreerider, No idea! It's really much too early for LG at the moment. March is best! Laughing
latest report
sarah, How were the boots? Hopefully a fair bit better.

It's been snowing a lot this afternoon and is still snowing off and on but not really cold. I've just been grumpy with some french tourists letting off bangers in the back garden! I thought we'd got over all that yesterday. (grump, grump!) Tomorrow we should get our village back. Very Happy

Pic of happy smiling easiskiers in the snow at the top of the white eggs.
snow report
Glad there seems to be an improvement in conditions. I skied with blue sky and fresh powder today snowHead snowHead
latest report
Butterfly, Saw! Laughing
snow report
easiski, alas no Sad I don't know if my toes are just so bruised now that I can't manage. By the time I had got up to the glacier I was in agony again and had to go into the cafe and take them off. I then took the footbeds out (I know, I know but desperate times and all that) to give me more volume and returned by lift so didn't even manage to ski. I am despairing. I settled up with Cedric last night and haven't been in to give him the bad news today, he tried so hard. Happy New Year BTW, didn't spot you today!

Butterfly that looks amazing!
latest report
sarah, I really think you need different shells. Ced says that the next size up in Atomic is much bigger, and deffo agrees that you have Atomic feet, but thinks you may have to get abnother make and have them blown to fit. good thing is that you can keep you inner boots! However I do suspect that your toes require time to ease. When my feet were bad I couldn't walk at the end of the season and couldn't put a shoe on until July! Sad
snow report
Lizzard,
Quote:

then boarded back down the Y with a broken hand and one glove on.

What happened? (only been dipping in and out of this thread this season) hope he gets it sorted soon.
snow report
easiski, Thanks! I have 6 weeks to get sorted. Please thank Cedric again, I will try to email him. Hope you had a good day today! Snow was coming down hard last night snowHead Just home now after nightmare journey as posted in The Piste!
snow conditions
sarah, I'll go and read about it - but tomorrow. Ditto snow report - too late, too tired to do it now.
snow report
Swirly, he broke a metacarpal on Boxing Day, can't fit a glove over the cast. Though one of the ESF chappies has promised to look out a big mitt for him, so we hope he won't add frostbite to his problem.
snow conditions
Lizzard, He was doing well carrying boots and sticks and stuff in Carrell Sports yesterday! Nothing against James but the shortest 'proper' skis he had when we went were 152cms. These were longer than I would have liked for the student, but there was no choice - paid in advance to Ski Republic. Jutta has real adult skis (decent carvers) down to 124cms. This was for PaulW, and Mrs. The service was fine, but it's so different being one in a line or an individual! Everybody note - Jutta will match the price you would have got anywhere else for Silver skis or above.

Yesterday was beautiful and sunny, the snow was nice but it was very cold and the wind was from the north, so biting. 3,400m in the morning was -23degs and wind of about 15kph. Brrrrrrrrrasssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccc. Shocked
View towards Mont Blanc from the bottom of the glacier.
ski holidays
Happy New Year to you all Very Happy
Snowing in Grimsby at the moment, will bring some out with me in March if it gets no better wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy