Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2009-2010

Poster: A snowHead
lib-banana, not changed since i've been here! have you thought about the sleeper train from paris to briancon?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowangel., last year I got cheapo tickets from bournemouth to turin with ryanair - no probs. this year - I only have BA from gatwick as an option - pricey plus because theres only 4 of us the transfer is that much more - proving to be a headache! I'll have a look at the train - could be an option
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lib-banana, my two kids got the sleeper from Paris a couple of years ago.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seriously look into taking a 9/10 oclock train from St. Pancras to Gare du Nord and then you have 1 hour 30 to cross to Paris to Gare du Lyon to get on the Artesia TGV to Oulx. There is then a bus to Briancon from Oulx. Arrive in resort about 7.30 French time I believe. I've found looking for an estimate price in Janaury and prices were cheaper than your usual peak week flight and private transfer per person.

Pain is that you cant book the train till 3 months beforehand.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher, Helen Beaumont, snowangel., hmm interesting - I just had a look and prices do indeed seem quite reasonable - I was looking at getting a train to Briancon - a sleeper - total travel time from paddington about 15 hours - could leave friday afternoon and arrive 8.30 saturday morning - hmm how would the kids handle it though?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lib-banana, I suspect they will think it a big adventure. Sleeping on a train, dinner in Paris, etc etc, waking up in the mountains.
My two were 15 and 17 , and did it on their own, we rang them to check they had arrived in Paris, and they were drinking beer and eating steak in the Gare d'Austerlitz buffet. They had exams at school so couldn't leave to come down with us the previous weekend (we were getting keys for apartment).
Leave late the following Saturday after an extra days skiing, and dinner, then back on the train again. Wake up in Paris.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That webcam on the previous page suggests a few inches have fallen yesterday/today Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur, I was talking to Mel last night, and I don't think so. She said it had been quite warm. Doesn't look snowy to me, refresh your page?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I shall be posting live reports from the foot of Monetier's slopes next week wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, strange....the date and time suggest its a live image. Guess we'll have to wait until next week...... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur, it looked far more snowy before .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, whilst you're here.....can you recommend a reasonable transfer company/business that would do a Turin pick-up/drop off? I can get some good flights/accommodation deals at the moment, but am struggling with the transfer and don't really want to hire a car. Cheers, Mark.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chasseur, have you tried http://alpine-transfer-company.com/ , Melanie may be able to suggest something too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, thanks - have emailed an enquiry.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is cool. There seem to be a fair few snowheads planning a trip to SC in the new year.
I am booked to go out on March 6th and I am looking forward to seeing a few snowHead in the bar or on the slopes.
snow report
lib-banana, on the sleeper to Bourg St Maurice, you would have a sleeper compartment to yourselves if you can stretch to 1st class couchettes for the four of you. In second class the couchette compartments sleep 6. (The difference in price between first and second class is not as significant as it is here.) Or you don't have to pay for couchettes but then you just get reclining seats. I imagine it's the same on the Briancon sleeper although I don't know that for certain. Sorry if you know all this already.

For what it's worth, my OH and I slept perfectly well in a 1st class couchette with two (very quiet) strangers.
snow report
NatalieG, thanks for that - I had noticed that on the website and teh prices were pretty good all things considered. however after all of that we have decided to go for the easy option and have gone with Snowbizz just down the road in Puy St Vincent for the week - childcare, flights, transfers all included - but we might get a day over in SC if we can sort out some transport. thanks to all for helpful suggests and kind offers of help as always snowHead
snow report
Chasseur, when you coming out next winter then?
snow report
Hi folks, Want to get out to Serre Che again next year. Hopefully have a group of around 4 of us going but was just wondering if they all turn into letdowns whether any1 can beat £470ish for a week around mid jan HB inc lift pass/flights/transfers? Or if any1 has ideas/prices for cheap CC/HB accom for solo traveller 'cause 1 way or the other I WILL get my week of snow!
ski holidays
solstice21, Were going back to SC on the 9th Jan, for £666.00 Catered Chalet, flights,transfers,board carriage and lift pass. Message me for details.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Chasseur, when you coming out next winter then?

Ideally early Jan - 1st or 2nd week.

I got a quote from the transfer company - €450 return for 4 Shocked Shocked I think car hire at €330 (Zafira) might be a better bet even with fuel and chain hire.
snow report
boardstupid, pm'd
snow conditions
Chasseur, we always end up hiring a car if we fly. we're there until around the 9th Jan, look us up if you are there that week.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, definitely snowHead
ski holidays
Hello All (again) from the UK South Coast UK basking in very mild temps at the moment - though wet n'windy weather due Sunday (yipee).
Have spent the last 5-6 weeks trying to suss out some accomodation for 5 weeks next year, and it's been damn difficult, knowing what we paid last year vs so much empty accomodation that we saw vs people thinking we'd pay top dollar now - all very frustrating - anyway think we're sorted in the same place we were in last year - which is great news !!

So could well have a spare room as well as possible airport transfers as I have various friends coming out over the 5 weeks from Mar 6 - so well early days yet - but will post on here every now and again!
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

Have spent the last 5-6 weeks trying to suss out some accomodation for 5 weeks next year, and it's been damn difficult, knowing what we paid last year vs so much empty accomodation that we saw vs people thinking we'd pay top dollar now - all very frustrating - anyway think we're sorted in the same place we were in last year - which is great news !!!

I've noticed that too. There's loads and loads of availability, but sky high prices - particularly for Feb 1/2 term.

We've looked at some accom' websites that have predominately French owned properties - these are much much cheaper, in good locations etc. Some are really small (30sq m!) though with bunks in the hallway. Kids would love that Toofy Grin .

If we don't find anything we'll leave it till last minute. We've never not found anything.
latest report
shockingmoment, don't forget that many French owned properties will not include bed linen, towels or cleaning at the end of your holiday. Nothing wrong with that, it's the way they do things, but the costs of linen and towel hire for a family soon add up.
I'm sitting in my Serre Che apartment right now. I would say the snow line is around 1800m. Certainly well below the Bachas. Can't comment on the depth though. View is beautiful with all the autumn leaves. Larch , of course, changes colour in autumn.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, lucky you. been up in the mountains for walk a anywhere yet?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, not yet, we only arrived at 4.40 yesterday.
latest report
Great news on the snow so early in the season. I am heading out to SC for the first time in Feb half term with family (wife and 2 kids) and really looking forward to it. Staying with Club Med so hopefully will not have too much hassle with organising thing.

HelenB or snowangel - Do you know if there are babysitters/au pairs available during the day in SC? We have a 5 year old (who will be skiing for her 2nd season) and a 2 year old who might need looking after at some times?

Thanks
snow report
Touchguru, Club Med should provide all of that for you I think, they did when we stayed there (but not in Serre Che)
snow report
Quote:

I'm sitting in my Serre Che apartment right now.

Crying or Very sad

I am sitting in my rainy living room on Teesside Crying or Very sad

Have however got Bachas webcam pic on my desktop at work, so not all bad. snowHead Enjoy the week Helen Beaumont,
snow report
MarjMJ, more snow forecast, keep an eye on those webcams
snow report
SC Bachas web cam seems to have more snow than anywhere else in the locale at the moment.

Will keep my eyes peeled HB.

Currently planning a Christmas trip 15th-28th Dec and Serre Che is top of the list. I can't resist the thought of the spa in Monetier. Still looking to tie up the accom, but will wait a little longer to see how the snow shapes up.

Get snow dancing everyone. Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks Helen B. I am sure Club Med can sort all those things but wondered if folks with some local knowledge knew of anything they would rather recommend. Will chat to club Med tomorrow.

TG
snow report
Touchguru, there is usually all day childcare at most of them. Mini Club, Petit Club and Junior Club Med depending on ages. Part of your holiday package, or it was when we styed at one.
snow report
According to Serre Chevalier's facebook site and from the webcams it looks like it has been raining cats and dogs in the valley and snowing up top.

Helen Beaumont, are you still out there?
ski holidays
gryfon, looks like more fresh stuff too.
ski holidays
lil banana - I see above you are now going to puy st vincent with Snowbizz. I hope you have a great time. For your future reference the overnight train to the southern alps is doable with young children.

We went to psv with snowbizz a couple of yrs ago (children were 3 and 5) and took the sleeper to Argentiere les ecrins at the bottom of the mountain and snowbizz arranged a taxi to the resort. It is the station before briancon.

The children loved the sleeper - it was the highlight of the holiday for them. We booked first class couchettes (4 berth) so we wouldn't have to share with anyone else. The worst part was crossing paris with our ski gear and a pushchair - we gave up trying to get down to the metro and jumped in a taxi to Gare D'austerlitz. We also allowed plenty of time for the changeover in paris and had rather a long evening in gare d'austerlitz. Apart from that once on the train it was ok and everyone but me slept well...I just couldn't get to sleep either way.

This time we are going to Montgenevre and are probably going to get the artesia TGV to oulx.
latest report
Christopher wrote:
According to Serre Chevalier's facebook site and from the webcams it looks like it has been raining cats and dogs in the valley and snowing up top.

Helen Beaumont, are you still out there?

I am indeed, and can confirm the weather
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy