Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baggage Fees on Ryanair for Skiers Go Up 300%

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller, yes, that's a fair point. And in terms of the real cost (after allowing for inflation) of flights I was paying for in the early 90s, flying is still cheaper now.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's DIY holidays that are a thing of the past now!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
xyzpaul, no it isn't. Don't be a daftie.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I totally agree with Pandora and achilles. Guys as more and more of the smaller operators go out of buisness Ryanair and Easyjet have the monopoly and thus will charge what they like the 50 pence flight if you want to carry skis of luggage is a thing of the past face it.

20 years ago a flight LGW to GVA would have been £200-250 return maybe even a little bit more make this into today's prices and this is probably over £500 return. You still have it very comfortable thank you so please stop complaining.

Andy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anderoo wrote:
You still have it very comfortable thank you so please stop complaining.
Andy

It's a bit of condescending remark..
Almosty everyone moans when the price of such or such thing goes up, irrespective of what the price of these things were 15 years ago...
Some people are not old enough to have experienced said prices 15 years ago.

I understand what you are saying but people "complaining" is probably one of the factor that has contributed to the success of low cost airlines in the first place...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler, are you complaining about some one saying stop complaining Puzzled wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
xyzpaul wrote:

Er no. Just booked my flights for mid March with bmibaby to Genava. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Yey!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

achilles, Yes BMI seem to be the one company bucking the trend however may be a long transfer from Genava.

Andy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops wrote:
Kruisler, are you complaining about some one saying stop complaining Puzzled wink

Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler, Everyone is complaining now and I don't think it will have any influence on Easyjet or Ryanair. They have made a living out of low cost bums on seats flights for a long time now and with competition getting smaller they can now do what they like (to a greater or lesser extent). TBH I don't even know what Ryan air or easyjet are charging for skis etc, could anyone enlighten me.

Andy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was just now thinking back to my days as a student in London, about 13 years ago. Flying to Toulouse with BA used to cost me around £130 to £150 return to/from Gatwick. That was an open return ticket, 23kg (not sure about his one) of checked in bagage in however many bags I wanted, plus ski equipment had I wanted to, and at convenient times.
My experience recently, is that unless you can travel during the week at odd times without checked bagage, you have to pay more than the prices quoted above (even without sports equipment). I know there promotions and tax free flights, I am talking about an "average" flight here.

So in MY particular case ( young family of 4 , travelling over a week or more) flight prices are now back to the levels of 13-15 years ago..

So much so that I have given up the idea of flying to Toulouse this coming Christmas (an extreme case I admit). I was quoted £600+ minimum (i.e week days, odd times, 2 bags). So that will be driving for us, which will come down to about half that price..

To counter that, when I travel alone, I paid £114 with snowbaord to fly to Munich in January, which I think is a very decent price..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anderoo,

Easyjet charged me £37 return for my snowboard for a flight in January 2010.
Ryanair had tried to charge me £60 for a flight to Salzburg, and it looks like this will now be £80....

Edit: this is the charge for ski/snowboard carriage, not the price of the flights..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agre that 60 and especially 80 is excessive and often have to book silly dates to get cheap prices.

However what you are saying kind of makes my point that prices will eventually get back to or near the prices we paid 15 to 20 years ago (I am only 37 and not trying to sound mature). The competition is thinning out as I expect the owners of EJ and RA expected with the credit crunch and petrol prices just helping them along.

There are bargains to be had, you just have to get in early and possibly not try to travel weekend to weekend.

Andy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here are ExcessAir charges

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES&view=email
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

possibly not try to travel weekend to weekend.

a good point. As pressure on prices, and affordability, mounts everywhere I would expect Alpine hotels, chalets and property owners to become less rigid about the Sat/Sat formula. But maybe that's not taking into account the French love of piling onto the roads at exactly the same time as everyone else?
ski holidays
This is part of the reason I'm saying no to the flight my company have put me on to get me out to St Anton in the Winter.

The flight leaves Stansted around 7am. I live in the opposite corner of the country, train to Stansted Airport is around the £60 mark (as I have a rail card), then a bed at an airport hotel is about another £50 (I don't fancy crashing in the departure lounge). That gives me 1 item of hand luggage and 1 item of checked baggage up to 15kg.

On the other hand I can fly from Manchester to Zurich (via Heathrow) for just under £79. OK I would then have to get to St Anton (which is about another 37Euros, or 19 in advance), but that includes 23kg of checked baggage and 2 items of hand luggage.

The other option is driving my car out, but that'll be more expensive and I'm not sure the extra expense is worth it.
snow conditions
Just booked return flights with easyjet to Barcelona £57 return incl baggage in jan, I usually defend ryanair as thats who we usually go with, but i ain't get bent over and spanked but these hike in prices are just greedy.
ski holidays
anderoo wrote:
......... Yes BMI seem to be the one company bucking the trend however may be a long transfer from Genava.

Andy

About 5 hours on the trains, I think. That's no too bad - I rather like travelling Swiss rail. The lethal bit is the 0620 o so departure from Wengen station on the return. Shocked
latest report
This Airline needs to be SHUTDOWN,

Travel by any other form of transport you pay a FARE & no other questions/extras are added .
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Any reason other than sheer stupidity for that view?

Quote:

Travel by any other form of transport you pay a FARE & no other questions/extras are added .

On planet Stanton, maybe.

Not on planet Earth.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
stanton wrote:

Any reason other than sheer stupidity for that view?

Quote:

On planet Stanton, maybe.

Not on planet Earth.

If the CAA had the guts to actually enforce it's own rules and the law of the land, there has been ample reason to shutdown Ryanair. Couldn't happen to a nicer business IMHO. Been shafted once, know plenty others shafted, and wouldn't fly with them if they were the last airline on Earth.
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:

If the CAA had the guts to actually enforce it's own rules and the law of the land, there has been ample reason to shutdown Ryanair.

Such as?

Prior to this post, I don;t recall seeing allegations thhat they have broken te law, even if their advertising leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:

Couldn't happen to a nicer business IMHO. Been shafted once, know plenty others shafted, and wouldn't fly with them if they were the last airline on Earth.

That is your opinion, and your choice, and fair enough.

But not a reason to shut them down.
latest report
All airlines operating into and from the UK had to comply with certain advertising and booking conditions by a specified date. Ryanair failed to comply and made all sorts of excuses, but strictly speaking they could have been banished from UK skies there and then, but the powers that be didn't have the guts to do it. That is part of the problem, Ryanair know they can take the wee wee completely and get away with it.
snow report
Winterhighland wrote:
All airlines operating into and from the UK had to comply with certain advertising and booking conditions by a specified date.

True.

Quote:

Ryanair failed to comply and made all sorts of excuses,

Also true.

Quote:

but strictly speaking they could have been banished from UK skies there and then,

I don't think so. They could have been fined.

They could possibly have been temporarily banned from flying until they did comply, but extremely unlikely that the appeals process would have been exhausted before they did, so there wouldn't have been much point in attempting to ban them.

Quote:

but the powers that be didn't have the guts to do it.

You mean they didn't (thankfully) have the stupidity to do so.

Quote:

That is part of the problem, Ryanair know they can take the wee wee completely and get away with it.

They know they can't, and that is why they don't.

They make bloody sure they meet all the legal requirements to keep their planes in the air.
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
.....If the CAA had the guts to actually enforce it's own rules and the law of the land, there has been ample reason to shutdown Ryanair. .......

Ryanair is registered in Ireland and regulated by the Irish Aviation Authority, not the CAA. Whether Ryanair should be registered in Ireland bearing in mind its main base of business is something that could be reviewed, but whilst I would not choose to fly with the airline, I don't think safety is an issue.
latest report
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/developers-and-banks-should-take-the-pain-oleary-1879550.html
snow report
just booking a flight for my sister to join us for a week's walking in the Alps in October. Easyjet East Midlands to Geneva, less than £50 return including a bag. Still unsustainably cheap, I'd say.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
just booking a flight for my sister to join us for a week's walking in the Alps in October. Easyjet East Midlands to Geneva, less than £50 return including a bag. Still unsustainably cheap, I'd say.

Which is probably at least part of the reason they are closing their EMA operation.

You are brave to risk booking a flight with EJ from there at the moment Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, the original announcement said flights till the end of 2009 would be unaffected. Has something changed since then without my noticing?
latest report
pam w, Duh!

It didn't register with me that you were booking for October. Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
This should help all you folk who fly Very Happy

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6826794.ece
snow report
stanton, serves the gullible public as a whole right for not bothering to be able to educate themselves enough to question the latest guff governments feed them, whether it be on mad cow disease, swine flu, or climate change. I reckon I have perhaps another 10 years skiing in me, and would like to think the taxes will not really bight in my time. However with governments loving the power they gain from spending our taxes, I'll probably get caught up too. Sad
snow report
achilles, Is £10 really going to make such a difference?
ski holidays
beequin, do you believe it is really going to be £10? And even if it is, it's on top of the already existing APD of £10. So the tax now comes to £10 - so yes, I do think it will make a difference.
snow report
Hmmm, perhaps a positive rather than negative difference in some ways then.
btw £10 was the return fare figure, so an additional five.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
xyzpaul wrote:

Er no. Just booked my flights for mid March with bmibaby to Genava. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Yey!

Wengen MSB??
ski holidays
Red Leon, would be nice, wouldn't it. So far just a couple of us (very likely 3 soon ) sharing a small chalet.
snow conditions
Here is the answer..... Market forces.

Email Ryanair and copy is to Easyjet. Saying......

Dear Ryanair.

I am a frequent flyer with your company. I occasionaly use your airline to ski resorts. However, your recent increase in ski/sports equipment charges to £40 each way (a total of £80 + checking charges) has forced me to reconsider you as an airline. I have assessed the opposition and I will now use Easyjet for most of my travel requirements (both personal and business) because they only charge £18.50 for sporting goods. This email is being copied to easyjet to inform them of my reaon for migrating and also to indicate that I will move to another airline if they follow suit.

Dear Easyjet. Please see above.

If everyone send them this then they will take notice.

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
Ryanair passengers are being told how to "turn the tables" on the airlines list of charges. Travellers can take advantage of the fact that in flight prices are the same, whether in pounds or euros.

360travelguide.com has worked out a way for passengers to make money from Ryanair. The trick is possible since passengers can pay for goods and ask for change in different currencies.

For example, a coffee costs either £3 or three euros. If you use a 50 euro note to pay for the coffee, you should ask for your change in sterling, which is allowed under Ryanair's rules.

At the current exchange rate, passengers employing this method will receive £47 rather than £42 worth of euros. One of the website's employees successfully tried out the ploy on a recent flight.
snow conditions
glasgowcyclops, on the other hand, passengers may feel they want a life.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy