Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My feet get a bit cold even in normal temperatures, and were very cold in the chilly days of last week - the only bit of myself I couldn't keep warm enough. I like my boots - Salamon Evolution 8, which fit like a glove with thin ski socks and orthotic heel pieces. They are around 4 years old and I have used them a great deal as we are in the Alps a lot, having bought an apartment. I would like to get a boot warming system (the ones you wear when you ski) but do they work? And presumably I would need to get them built in to new footbeds? Or would it be better to get new boots? Some Technica boots seem to come with thermic soles and maybe that would be a better investment. I am beginning not to be able to clip the Salamons up tight enough. Already on tightest setting and getting a bit looser at the ankle, but no room round feet for bigger socks. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, try thinner socks. (a lot of "cold feet" problems arise from socks being too thick, and the boot cuff buckles being done up tight, which can reduce the blood supply to your feet)
Another possibility for a quick solution... What do you wear on your head? If the answer is: nothing or a headband, then try a hat. Your body will make sure your head stays warm, again by reducing bloodflow to the extremities, i.e. feet/hands.
Next question: do you smoke?
And finally, what do you mean as "using the boots a great deal"? If it's more than about 60 days a season, then yes, they are probably due replacing, but as many of us say on here, don't go for brand, go for fit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
do they just get cold all over or do they actually start to go numb and u need to unbuckle to get the blood moving again? I have known people use tinfoil under the actual liner (not under the footbed/insole) and this has really helped but you will need to secure it to the inside of the base of the boot. I'd use a few layers then hold them in place with gaffer tape which should also help to stop the liner moving round too.

Cheaper and less hassle than a boot warmer but may just work
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, I know people who use them and I'm going to get some myself. There's some situations I'm standing around a bit and the feet can cool quickly. They're a bit expensive though Very Happy

I have the same reservation about the boot fit but the people I know using them seem not to have problems. I guessing worse case I may need some different footbeds to allow them to fit. At worst I'll just buy some more boots, if you ski a lot it's not hard to justify. (where "a lot" is more than a couple of weeks obviously)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, my wife has a problem with cold feet, due to poor circulation. We bought a pair of Thermic heated footbeds a few years ago after trying all sorts of fancy socks and things.

Fitted them myself fairly easily. They were the pair that have their own footbed so you trim to fit, cut a hole in the very bottom rear of the inner boot, thread the lead through and gaffer tape it up the back of the inner boot. You need to drill one hole in the shell for the battery mount and you've finished.

My wife loves them, but because she has them on the highest heat setting the batteries run out by lunchtime. Because of this we bought a second set of batteries to swop at lunch. They do work and, in my wife's case, would have been a godsend at any price.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrs Frosty has similar heated insoles where thhe batery clips onto the boot (would advice extra fixing for the adventurous skier). She does not have them on ful blast as they can get a bit hot, but as with Marc's Mrs, they have been priceless. If your feet are very cold then you simply cannot ski. Mrs Frosty managed to mess up the charging of the batteries on our first night in la Plagne this yr. It was not particularly cold, but without her warmers she had to come in at lunchtime, but still lost 2 toe nails a few weeks later.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
.....but still lost 2 toe nails a few weeks later.

Is she a collector?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
She is now!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy