Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts within 2-3 hours of Turin airport?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm flying out this weekend (Fri-Sun) to Turin, for a skiing weekend (with a snowboarding buddy). Haven't booked accommodation yet. Can anyone recommend a resort within 2-3 hours driving time? (we're renting a car).

I've been to Cervinia and Pila (which fit the bill), wd like to try something different. I think Bardonecchia and Sestriere are also close, but don't know what the skiing's like. Any ideas?

(Does anyone know if Arabba, Madonna di Campiglio, Cortina d'Ampezzo are really far away in driving time terms?)

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cedric, they are all a long way, I've driven from Milan to Cortina, took about 5 hours. Why not give La Thuile a try, also Gressonay, Champoulac are within reasonable distance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cedric, you could try Serre Chevalier. It's a little under 2 hours, the conditions sound good at the moment (if a little cold!) and, whilst the area is known for the number of drags, it is also one of the French favourites for snow boarding - plenty of natural half pipes and good off-piste opportunities.

If the visibility gets poor, as you're only going for a short while, there is also plenty of tree line sliding available. Although I've not stayed in the town, Briancon would be my recommendation as it's the first town you come to in Serre Che and there is plenty to do in the evening.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sliding in Sestriere is fantastic and easy to get to. Sorry I can't help with accomodation or snow conditions though. Have fun!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
did a week-end in champuluc. very enjoyable. stayed in a mad hotel called hotel kalifornia. Nightclub in the basement, massive bar on the ground floor with almost 24 hr kareokee and each bedroom themed to 60-70s rickers such that when you opened the door music started playing. Can't find the web-site at the minute but definitley worth looking for.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say Serre Chevalier too but I'm biased because I live here!! Enjoy your trip and let me know if you need to find a place to stay... our website has a few ideas www.eurekaski.com/serreche.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cedric, you don't even need to travel 2-3 hours to some of the best skiing in the world. In under 90 minutes you can be in Gressoney Trinite, at the heart of the Monterosa ski area, which is what David Trax is referring to.

There are just a few hotels and shops there, but a chairlift within yards that takes you into the heart of the system - and fabulous piste/off-piste skiing over a very wide area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cedric, would strongly agree with David Goldsmith about Gressoney la Trinite. Spent a half-term there 3 or 4 years ago and was amazed about the lack of crowds on the pistes even though most were closed due to lack of snow. Stayed at the Jolanda Sport which was right at the bottom of the main lift and comfortable, family run. Food was adequate rather than brilliant with a limited daily choice. The on-slopes hot chocolate and panini are still talked about in our house. Don't know your standard, but not especially good for absolute beginners. We have not had the opportunity to return there yet, but do plan to. (Incidentally, my wife dislocated her shoulder on-slope and the evacuation, X-ray, relocation and taxi back to the hotel were completed in 2 hrs and cost about £50 - not quite the same as the NHS!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm, we ended up booking a hotel in Cervinia, I'm starting to be sorry about not going to Gressoney...

Anyway, many thanks for the very useful comments, at the very least I'll be making use of them for my next trips!

And welcome to snowHeads, Nick L!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cedric, Cervinia is fine and I am sure that you will have great fun. All the bes. Now "only" 7 weeks till I go!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take a look at the map on our site here. It will give you an idea of what is reachable with 2-3 from Turin in the Southern Alps, Italy and France (hover over or click on the little skiers for more detail). The furthest resorts of Alp d'Huez and Risoul are at the 3 hoursish limit. The closest Sauze and Bardonechia are just over 1 hour.

Hope this helps for the future.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cedric, I am thinking of a w/e break to Cervinia. What research did you do on accommodation and what was the verdict. Cheap and cheerful rather than plush and expensive would be more my thing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd be interested to hear about accommodation also as thinking of a trip in early March to Italy via Milan.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shh, Gressoney is rubbish, no off piste, hoards of people, really not worth the visit.

Greg

Not really, it's very good, hands free pass, deserted and awesome off-piste. Desperately trying to keep it quiet, one of the best undiscovered resorts in my opinion. some of my pics here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/gregh104
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, this link will take you to Cervinia's tourist board and most of the hotels and B & B's etc are on this, you can contact them direct or through the Tourist office. They have what they call a "Pool" and those properties that join it work with the Tourist office, but there independant places that are just as good.
Good luck, off there ourselves in 2 weeks and waiting for some new snow to soften the surface a bit, other wise we will be skating!!

http://www.cervinia.it/sezionidinamiche/strutturericettive/intro_inglese.lasso?sezione=strutturericettive
snow report
Ray Zorro, we stayed at the hotel Breithorn, 2*. 5 mins walk to Cervinia resort centre, 10 mins walk to main gondola. 40 Euros for a single room (B&B). Clean, nice, TV in room (not that we got to use it). So it would have been very good...however, crappy breakfast - no ham & cheese, bread pretty old, orange juice was actually about 10-20% juice, and everything tasted bitter (though this could have been due to our hangovers).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy