Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern - what's it like-where to stay

Poster: A snowHead
Read lots about this place, I know it's snow sure and good for timid skiers, but not heard from anyone that's actually stayed there. Some reports say that the village is cast in shadow due to the surrounding mountains, but does this also apply to the skiing? Any hotels to avoid?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Obertauern is great for most skiers - with exception of the more advanced skiers and those clocking up big mileage. It's not any darker than most places (weather permitting) and the snow record is excellent. Being in Austria, it is safe to say that nearly all accommodation is of a good standard. Personally I would recommend staying centrally, so that you have easy access to the Edelweiss lift. One other great advantage is that it's only 90km (60minutes) from Salzburg airport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hywel, Hi and thanks, yes I had read about the short runs, but at my age that's a bonus!!! And as I'm still dipping my toe in the 'Red' run snow, I'm not looking for a challenge, so from a skiing point of view it sounds good. We love Austria but having had 2 holidays with poor snow due to low altitude, we have been going to Italy, but this place caught my eye. We have thought about a DIY job going under our own steam but sometimes it doesn't work out any cheaper. But the Edelweiss tip will be useful when sorting through brochures (who are sometimes economical with the truth!) so ta
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in Obertaurn in my second season and it was too much for me Sharon. I managed about 2 or 3 of the blues and only one red.......but I did lack confidence big time....much better now thankfully!

However, my hubby has been lots and LOVES THE PLACE big time. We stayed at the Petersbuhl, a lovely little hotel with friendly staff, adequate rooms and virtually ski to door.

Timid skiers will find th resort limiting, but set in a bowl with lots of blues and reds, there is simply too much to ski in a week. The blue from the top of the mountain, crossing a black had my heart pretty much in my bottom but wow, what a view and what accomplishment to say I DID IT!

high altitude, snow to the window bottoms on first floor is what to expect!!!! Mainly drag and button lifts too, flood lit skiing, damn cold when we went and I decided to sample the apres ski rather than hang out on the slopes! The umbrella bar on the piste is EXCELLENT and friendly, I would spend a few mins on my own (girlie) with no fear of aggro or hassle, whilst hubby and friends went off to ski the black (far, far beyond me). I can highly recommend their gluevine as a nice winter warmer. Hot stuff.

I am up to 6th season now and cannot wait to go back to tackle some more of the reds, that phased me and I just know I will be able to really experience the whole resort next time. We are already thinking that Obertaurn is the place for us, in 2006. This year, we are off to Levi, Lapland with our 5 yr old , a trip to suit the santa believer, rather than the skier in my son (who was happy on blues in Italy in March so I am hoping a quiet resort in Lapland will fine tune his skills). We did look at Obertaurn again, but decided that its not for him just yet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied Obertauern three times. Extremely snow sure, due to the altitude. Obertauern offers good easy intermediate skiing. The ski circut is well organised and efficient with little or no ques. There is a good number of mountain resturants aloft. As The skiing is both sides of the valley it is also very easy to get back to the village for lunch if you wish. Obertauerns accomodation is all of a good standard, I stayed at the Schutz on my last visit. If you are taking children, I can highly recommend Zauchensee. Zauchensee is in a nearby village, the ski school is excellent. Again extremely snow sure. The area is a little smaller than Obertauern, however you can easily ski to flachau (Herman maier's home village), and Altenmarkt (home of Atomic). try the link below

http://www.hillwood-holidays.co.uk/
http://www.zauchensee.com/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fruity, well even though we are on our 7th trip, I am worried about leaving the security of Cervinia, as the runs are so wide, so gentle and so many of them, and snow sure, but i just feel duty bound to try new pastures! I am still a very very nervous skier and it doesn't take much for me take the skis off and walk! (much to my hubby’s horror). I'm wondering if I should just stick to what I know, for fear of making a mistake, as the first 5 ski holidays elsewhere were no fun for me at all Confused . Confused - worried - and indecisive
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK I can appreciate that sentiment entirely Sharon. Here is a suggestion for you, its a bit radical but whatever! Why not try Passo Tonale, where we went in March. Its Italy, near madonna di campigno and a wonderful resort for someone like your goodself. A little timid and shaky, if not perfectly capable of enjoying a days skiing. The place is packed with blue and red runs, one black for hubby on a nearby glacier..... I absolutely found heaven on earth in the skiing here. My lad was happy enough in ski school for 2 hrs a day, leaving us time on our hands to sample the various runs back to ski school level....... its a quiet resort with the whole ski area on one mountain in front of you. The standard of English speaking teachers again, fantastic with littel or no queuing, even at the height of season. Its a damn well kept secret resort (We went with Inghams)..... and a short 2 hr transfer to resort. Again, high altitude snow sure resort. Sharon, I guarantee you would love it and not take your boots off. I am just like you!!!!!!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.adamelloski.com/totale.html

have a look Sharon...............
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fruity, Well as it happens it's been a toss up between Passo, Obertauern, Les Arcs and ideally, if we win the lottery, Obergurgl. I have even considered going back to Soldeu (but I thought that was like Blackpool with snow). I was just about worried about the "school trip" theme of Passo, as our kids are in their 20's now. We try and avoid school break times - having reach the ripe old age when the kids are off our hands, i don't want to be surrounded by other poeples little darlings! But I really am considering Passo - so thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953, we did Obertauern last year and it was excellent, typically Austrian resort, great umbrella bars for early apres ski. The height and also I believe the position ensures loads of snow (just check out the snow depths compared with almost anywhere else) This however can be it's downfall as we experienced 4 days of blizzards and there is no skiing below the tree line to shelter in. I suppose this can happen anywhere high though and when the sun shines, it's glorious. We also stayed in the Petersbuhl and would agree it's excellent.
Off to Obergugl on Saturday snowHead snowHead , I booked a fortnight ago for £479HB, good value I thought, especially as it's dumping all week and forecasting sunshine from the weekend.

Fruity, I've done Levi too, I replied to a thread on Snownews the other day on Lapland/Levi, I think you may have posted it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 1-02-05 20:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
up4it, Blimey that's cheap for there, are you flying from down south, there are far fewer choices from up north!! Where are you staying?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sharon1953, booked it via snowdeals.com, about £200 less than the brochure, going from Gatwick. I don't have the brochure to hand but the hotel is something like S'omateal, it's a bed and breakfast place with evening meals taken at the Edelwiess and Gurgl. I don't think a 5 minute walk for dinner will be a problem though, it's only like going out for a meal at a restaurant.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well let me know what it was like when you get back - it's somewhere I've always wanted to go - skied in Zell am See, and it rather spoilt us really because it was so pretty with all the trees, but the altitude is bad. We think Obergugl has it all.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
up4it, Just checked skideals out, nothing under £650 for 19/20 March from north west Crying or Very sad
snow report
Maybe Sharon, Up4it and me should just book somewhere together, we certainly have the same taste in ski resorts!!! LOL.

snowHead
latest report
Regarding the school trip thing Sharon, we really didnt notice it. Our lad had just turned 4 yrs old and we were more concerned with a short transfer time (hence leaning towards Obertaurn). 2 hrs was perfect for the tyke and he didnt get bored anyway, planes and buses, snow and hotels. He was in heaven. We didnt go during school holidays either, only this year we got our wrists slapped for booking 6th march-13th which is still term time, last yr he was only in nursery. This year its reception class (1st years in my book, I am 40 and still struggling to learn these new fangled references to school years).

I enjoyed Soldeu too, but that was about 7 or 8 yrs ago and my 3rd trip. It was good to have such a vast area to ski with limited ability. 2002 we went to kaprun (next to Zell) and I have to say, I loved the glacial ski but didnt get off on the bus trips in the morning, thats a pet hate of both me and hubby. I guess thats why we enjoyed Obertaurn, Passo and Soldeu for the ease of getting up, putting on your skis and away.........no hitting people in the face with your skis and poles at those resorts!!!

If you did linger on Tonale for a moment, i can recommend the Paradiso Hotel. its not village central, but still ski to door with a blue right outside, linking the hotel and its slope to the rest of the resort... after making the mistake of walking on the first morning, we soon learnt that you can go up the drag lift to the top of the Paradiso blue, then ski across the piste to the ski school. The Paradiso has an older clientelle, a swimming pool (bonus) and gym. The rooms are fair sized, the food is good (if not brill for a picky 4 yr old and a little late in the evening for him too).

We stayed at the Sport Hotel in Soldeu, opposite the main gondola.

Fx
ski holidays
Fruity, I've done Levi too, I replied to a thread on Snownews the other day on Lapland/Levi, I think you may have posted it.[/quote]

yes I read that! Thanks a lot for that, I am still a bit concerned that we are going to be buzzed by umpteen aeroplanes being so close to the airport! Is it really only a maximum ten minute transfer!!??!!

We have lots of thermals all ready and my lad is already picking out which toys can come to see where Santa actually lives..............
snow conditions
Fruity, Well when we were in Soldeu it was blizzard's high winds, then ice! When the upper slopes closed it meant all 'my' greens and blues were used by boy racers, black run experts and boarders! Our friends went the following 2 years and skied on ice in a.m. and slush in p.m., plus the only mountain food seemed be fast food burger joints, and we rather like the "lunching in a hut" part of the holiday. I admit that the runs, when they are open and the snow is good, are great for beginners and timid skiers, we just never got to use them! Italy is desperate for snow it seems checking out the various sites, but Passo looks good still.
ski holidays
You see thats the crux isnt it Sharon. The weather can make or break a resort for a person! We had good snow conditions, if a little icy in the late afternoons, turning to slush on the last run. It wasnt too busy either, but again, probably cos we always go late Feb early March......I didnt enjoy the large self serve restaurant feel either, I like a good old Alpine lodge, nice food and music at lunch, usually coupled with a dutch courage or two.

Tonale conditions are usually the best due to the altitude (looks like Levi in Lapland doesnt have a shortage of snow for us though!). We normally go for altitude and snow sure first, then ski to door if we can get it (hubbies first choice), and transfer as the third priority! That'll be Obertaurn then.

LOL
ski holidays
Fruity, Kittila is a tiny airport, you won't even notice it.
snow report
Christ, I hope the pilot does !!!!!!!!!!!!1 Confused
snow report
Fruity, Well our, (or should that be ‘my’), priorities are lots of wide, gentle greens, blues and reds, well covered with good quality snow! Good mountain food and no long walks to the lifts, ski bus, or town! The airport distance isn’t a concern and although I’d love to ski through trees, I realise that this is something I have to sacrifice for good snow, and at the end of the day, skiing is all about the snow! So not far off yours really. We have stayed in resorts where you have to take a bus to the lifts, and that wasn’t too bad really as public transport anywhere except in the UK, is usually good. We did actually leave our skis in lockers provided at the lift station, so we didn’t even need to drag them home with us each day. But I’ll admit it’s nicer to end the day on the snow itself – with a glass or 2 of something nice!! Talking of Dutch courage, I have always thought as a last resort I might one day try skiing down the mountain drunk to see if that helps, but the thought of booze in the morning doesn’t thrill me!
latest report
Believe me Sharon, it doesnt work........ !

Seriously, you really are describing Tonale....... apart from a lack of piste side restaurants (well we had to go back to ski school meet and always ended up eating in the village at lunch... which wasnt a problem but I did miss my "ski to food" part of the holiday).

Though I have to mention Kaprun at this point........... did you venture onto the glacier when skiing in Zell?
snow conditions
Fruity, No we didn't. It was our first ever ski holiday and we hardly touched what was available. But we went back with our neighbours a year later (who are now also addicted) and the snow wasn't so good in Zell so went to other side of the mountain along the road to Kaprun (can't remember the name). Never got to the gacier though, but a week after we got home they had that horrendous fire on the
funicular and the week after we got home the first time some people were killed in an avalanche in Zell! - think someone is trying to tell me something!!!!! I subscribed to a holiday site called Fast Track and they send emails out evertime a holiday comes up that fits your critieria ie, resort, date, airport, and I am inundated with offers for Tonale, very reasonale prices, so we will probably go for it. But for now we are looking forward to Cervinia, and then we'll see if the old bones can take another week! (not to mention our flexible friend the credit card)
ski holidays
I remember the hotelier mentioning that you can ski in Tonale quite far into April, the snow rarely clears until then.
I wish we could afford two weeks ski, but having the little one to account for too..... mind u, his bank acct is looking healthy maybe we could borrow his inheritance back for a while !!!!

Do highly commend the Paradiso but there was also a hotel in the centre beginning with M (Miramonti or something ) which was also a good hotel........
ski holidays
Fruity, Out of curiousity, how did you combat your nerves?
ski holidays
Honest quick answer. Blades in Kaprun.

I had them for one day and wished I had had them for longer, so when we arrived in Tonale, I hired blades before skis. After two days of easy confident reds on blades, I changed back to my usual carvers and Hubby was impressed enough to stop yelling instructions and actually shouted Well Done as i shot past him down a red, beautifully and without fear!

Thats honestly it Sharon. I have been the BIGGEST chicken out on the slopes until then. Every time I arrived at the top of the slope, I would look straight down and freeze (I know u dont ski straight down at our level, but I always looked down!). I also got a ski video for intermediates.... which was informative and hysterical to practise on the carpet at home in my oversized socks!

Well, I put these skinny little blades on for a giggle with a couple we met, she wanted to try them too so off we went for a days blading. No poles. Wow. I was shocked, the turns were easier, I had more straight line confidence and I just felt more in control of my turns.... and was easily able to ski parrallel. I didnt use the blades as the blokes would, all fancy turns, backwards etc I just used them to get me down reds without freaking out! I then realised in Tonale, that I was skiing without concentrating on the steepness, but actually picking out my route and just going for it.... at that point I decided enough and time to swap back to see if it really is just easier on blades, or if I had (like riding a bike) cracked it...... I guess I cracked it. I even looked longingly at an inviting little black in Tonale, but Steve, my hubby said no and muttered something about running before i could walk.......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To let u know the new cable car upto the slopes at Kaprun is excellent. You can still see the tunnel where the railway came out as you crest the hill but I chose not to look other than the once. While we were in Kaprun (02) the snow in Europe wasnt good and people were being shipped into kaprun to ski the glacier as their resorts had no snow..... it was funny to see Zell without snow as we left the resort coming home........it had been white when we arrived.

The glacier was INCREDIBLE. I just cant begin to explain how much nicer the snow type is. The runs are well marked, there is a whole range side by side, i chose to stay on blues to begin with, but hubby skied a red and I could still wave across to him... we even skied down from the absolute top (he did the mogul black) I stayed on a little railway that comes past the black and picks up the blue. Great fun and fantastic views.

We would go back to Kaprun for definite, if there werent so many other resorts we have yet to experience! I still havent made it into France to ski yet! Lapland is an adventure for us, its a bit different and I want to see the Northern Lights (for my 40th which was in October..... this is why we chose Lapland rather than traditional european this year).
snow conditions
on the subject of divine intervention, we stayed at Chiesa in Italy which was about 20 miles from the sight of the aeroplane versus cable car crash - that pilot who was playing chicken with the cable car and went under the wires....the day before I had said to hubby, god its high up you could fly a plane under us at this point.

I kind of wish I hadnt spoken out loud really.
ski holidays
well it's a small world! I spoke to someone on our last but one holiday who had been skiing for years but had lost their confidenceBecause things were going wrong, he switched to blades and got himself back on track, told me how great they were. It was the end of our holiday so didn’t try them, but before our next holiday I tried them at a Snow Dome, (much to the disgust of the ski instructors there, who told me I was whimping out, and I’d never go back to skis - and they were “girly”) I liked them so much I bought some Head Big Easy because they had ski release bindings, I read loads of stuff on skiboards.com and thought “this is the answer”, and to some degree they have been, but, on the 2nd day of the hols, I started catching the wrong edge of the upper ski on every left turn, the more I worried about it, the worse it got until left turns became a phobia. The Head Big Easy are wider than regular blades, so wondered if although this makes the blade more stable, it also makes it harder to carve, so have now bought some atomic 120,s and in 2 weeks I will get to try them for the 1st time, but if I still don’t feel right, I’m going back to the regular Salomon blades (non-release) and if that doesn’t work, I really may have to consider the actual “skiing” part of the holiday isn’t for me. But I love the whole atmosphere, scenery and brief moments of success, too much to throw the towel in just yet. And yes…I’ve had plenty of lessons!!! But you can’t teach someone not to be fearful, and god only knows what it is I’m afraid of. The only thing that I can come up with is the lack of control! Having had a spinal operation years ago, I wonder if the fear is self preservation! I have a painful right knee joint too, which didn’t start till after the last hols, so I can’t help thinking that’s why my left turns were a problem. The added pressure of so many people around me saying “you can do it” doesn’t help. I only really feel at ease when I manage to find someone as bad as me, and we potter around making a real mess of it on the flattest runs!! (oops I think we are supposed to be talking about Resorts on here wink but this is far more interesting!!
ski holidays
Ohhhhhh thats me too! When hubby and I first went to Obertaurn, we nearly left the resort in seperate coaches! He would stand there yelling instructions and all the time, I was getting more and more dazed and confused! In the end, I went off skiing with a girlfriend (over 30 yrs experience herself) and had a wonderful relaxed no stress time coming down a red away from the crowd.
I also ride motorbikes and have a major aversion to going round right hand bends..... I can lean into right handers with no problem at all, but plan my routes mainly without right hand bends interfering with my enjoyment of just being on the bike..... same on the slope!! If only I didnt have to make a right turn I would be doing blacks by now!
Sounds like you were overcompensating for your left hand fear, making the situation worse. The only way round that is continual left handers until you master the art! My right knee has recently started hurting if I kneel down or run upstairs (so I dont LOL). Knee ops run in our family (aunt booked in for the 24th Feb for knee joint replacement) and I am hoping that a new knee brace (£45) is the answer..... hubby swears by them when he skis and wears his before his knees start to hurt....
I dont like to ski on my own but have found that being on my own, picking my lines down the slope, is easier than trying to keep up with someone else... so hubby will either wait for me to stop half way down and then join me, or he will ski off to a lower point and wait for me (but then I stress out and think he is getting fed up waiting, so thats not always the best solution!).
I have had quite a few private lessons and the instructors are always amazed that I am so nervous, cos apparently my style and ability is there and fine, just now, if only I could find somewhere to leave my head....

(I spend at least 15-20 minutes in the loo EVERY morning in resort... my stomach just flips as soon as the alarm goes off). At least last year, I was worrying about our 4 yr old flying off down blues on his own and I had to race to catch up with him........maybe thats the answer - you need to borrow a small child.
ski holidays
We need to ski together!! I start feeling sick when we are unpacking in the hotel room! But as soon as we get back home, I'm rebooking!!! I have also been told that I'm not doing anything wrong! And in fact, I know more about the technical side, including how to maintain ones skis, than anyone I know in our circle of skiing friends, but I'm still gutless on the slope!!!
snow report
I am laughing hard here! We are so the same!

People on here will start to talk!

I get excited in the build up the holiday and am usually busy reading the brochures on the flight home!!!! I talk about skiing at work (you cant accuse me of being a baby bore but a ski bore ........ well). I try to encourage my friends to take up the sport, I am even dragging my MIL along with us this year. She lost her hubby in Dec 02 and so, we are infliciting our fav pasttime on her this year. I doubt she will ski, but it willnot be for lack of trying on my part!

and yet......... I am the green one in the breakfast queue!

Gutless is a good word!
ski holidays
I guess we will have to all consider Obertaurn next year then!!!!!!!! Petersbuhl it is! Do u think the men will mind?
latest report
When i read the skiboard.com website it was full of stories from women who felt just like us, all saying how blades had changed their skiing lives. I know every ski site on the net, i can predict snow falls better than the experts! I know every piste map, every red/green/blue run, and I watch ski on Sunday thinking "hard packed ice - are they mad!!!! I use the Which? Good Ski Guide till the pages are worn down. Last year we went 12 handed, our sons came with, and 2 blokes that are the partners of 2 girls we met the year before, and have stayed in touch with as they live local. So 3 complete beginners amongst us...after 2 days...all 3 skiing the reds with no problems, seeing all the runs I haven't seen in 2 years of visiting their. I can't tell you how frustrating it is. Each year I say "this is the one". I dream, eat and live skiing - how the hell can i be so crap at it?????
ski holidays
lets start a new thread with that title Sharon!!!!! now, which bit of the board? off to the Piste section
snow conditions
Fruity wrote:
on the subject of divine intervention, we stayed at Chiesa in Italy which was about 20 miles from the sight of the aeroplane versus cable car crash - that pilot who was playing chicken with the cable car and went under the wires....the day before I had said to hubby, god its high up you could fly a plane under us at this point.

I kind of wish I hadnt spoken out loud really.

2 years ago a friend of one of our group was killed in a car accident.
One year ago the sister of another one of our group rolled her car, she escaped with bumps and bruises.
Both were on the tuesday of the week we were away. This year I phoned home on the tues night and nervously asked mum "who is it this year then?", she answered, "actually it's your sister, someone t-boned her this morning and wrote her car off" Shocked I wished I hadn't spoken out loud as well.
Sis would normally have been with us skiing but decided that as she's 3 months pregnant she'd be safer at home than on the slopes, fortunately she wasn't hurt.
snow report
Fruity, did you get my pm?
snow report
yes just........ will respond after bacon sandwich made by his fair hand!!!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy