Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, Spyderman, thousands of bars up and down the country manage it. It cannot be that hard Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader, I hope it isn't too. There are quite a few of us there who like a decent pint. There's a great pub just down the road if not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, nice to know, whats it called ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dwarf Vader, The Paper Mill. http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=243&itemid=204&task=View
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks, that will get a look in over the weekend
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dwarf Vader, Food is good, downstairs for Bar food, upstairs for more Restaurant Fare.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, I imagine they have a deal with a brewery to supply their alochol, so may be somewhat limited by them?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, If they have a deal then it's not a very good one. Perhaps they should stick to what they know best ie Running a snowdome, and get some proffesionals in to run the food and drink Very Happy
Contrary to popular opinion fast moving quality food and drink sales at sensible prices with the right amount of staff at the right times is not easy, I fear the Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead is about to realise this, all to late Sad

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 6-05-09 7:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
beanie1, If they have a deal then it's not a very good one. Perhaps they should stick to what they know best ie Running a snowdome, and get some proffesionals in to run the food and drink Very Happy

Bourne Leisure, the company behind The Snow Centre, seem to have quite a lot of experience of running things in the food, drink and leisure industry.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar,
Quote:

Bourne Leisure

I didn't know that, whats the name of the nearby pub that Spyderman mentioned?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 6-05-09 8:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

Bourne Leisure

Shocked Shocked OK, Whats the name of the nearby pub?

No idea. The bar at Hemel is very pleasant, in my opinion, and I wouldn't need to go anywhere else as it offers all that I'm interested in for apres-ski relaxation.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:
Dwarf Vader, The Paper Mill. http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=243&itemid=204&task=View

Spdyerman that nearby pub sounds like it is going to have a huge increase in trade once the snow centre is open.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As rob says, the Bar at Hemel is very pleasant, comfortable, great views over the slope, Guinness is good. I would like a Cask Beer to be offered though. The food I haven't tried yet, but will for sure. The menu looks good. Staff are pleasant and efficient.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Spdyerman that nearby pub sounds like it is going to have a huge increase in trade once the snow centre is open.

I think you're doing the Bar a disservice by suggesting that. It really is a nice place to be. Having a great pub nearby can only be a good thing to keep standards high and any feedback as to improvements taken on board and acted on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Please don't mis understand me, I am really looking forward to coming up to Hemel Very Happy I was picking up on what You and others have said about the food and beer on offer so far. I am sure that Bourne Leisure will realise that the clientele at Hemel will require a different style of food and drink 'menu' to that which they have on offer at their core business of operating on Haven holiday caravan parks. As Bourne Leisures HQ is in Hemel as well I feel confident that their senior management are more than capable of resoving any issues quickly.
In 2008, Bourne Leisure came in the top 20 of the 100 Best Companies to Work For which is no mean feat Very Happy
snow report
Boredsurfing, I spotted someone from their (BL's) senior management there on Saturday, in Hemel uniform and speaking to customers. So hopefully they will be very hands on and take constructive criticism on board.
snow report
Boredsurfing, don't they also operate the Warner hotels such as Bodelwyddan Castle, Alvaston Hall, Thoresby Hall & Spa, etc? I'd guess those places target a different demographic than Haven Holidays?
ski holidays
beanie1, Coming in the Top 20 of the best companies to work for is a huge accolade to any company but even more impressive in a UK wide company in the service industry.
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
I too would like to see a decent beer available, but I also know that for somewhere like the Edge, only supplying Keg beer is the easiest option. You would need to get experienced staff in to look after real beer properly, it is too easy to ruin a whole barrel. The Edge bar seems to do exactly what is needed for it to function in its location. I have only been in 3 times but it seems to be doing OK, it has been busy with people eating & drinking and seeming happy with the service..

looks like the Guinness is going to sell well though. Toofy Grin
latest report
rob@rar, Indeed they have certainly matured as a company from their days in caravan parks on the coast and Butlins holiday camps.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Boredsurfing, I spotted someone from their (BL's) senior management there on Saturday, in Hemel uniform and speaking to customers. So hopefully they will be very hands on and take constructive criticism on board.

I too met the BL senior management person at Hemel. She seemed really pleasant, totally committed to the project and really switched on to customer service and to provide an excellent experience for both the customer and the staff. Very Happy
snow report
It would be nice to have the webcam back on their website, ideally indoors and facing the slope...
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
roga wrote:
Don't worry overly, the food isn't bad as such just not up to the excellence of everything else I'd say!

We had a meeting last week with the head of catering, she was quite insistent to receive feedback, good or bad. If things aren't said, they won't improve. people just won't return.

I agree, that's why I flagged it up as pretty much the only 'major' issue as I saw it.
Quote:
To me 'OK' isn't good enough, but that's just how I work.

Again, agreed - I think at say Tamworth you kind of put up with catering that's not that great (actually it's a bit 1970s school meals which is good or bad depending on your POV and they do have starbucks as an alternative) but at Hemel everything else is so top notch that it's rather a disappointment.
Spyderman wrote:
Boredsurfing, It's in house, with Costa Coffee franchise for hot drinks. I haven't sampled the food yet, but the staff seem really on the ball and menu looks pretty good.

Yes, the staff were great and the menu promises good things ... which makes it even more obvious when the food doesn't live up to that promise ... could have been early shakedown problems though and the food may well be great now, I'll certainly give it another go next time I'm there Very Happy
Quote:
Decent cask Beer would be a bonus.

Totally agree there too and if you want a 'real' mountain beer can I recommend Cairngorm Brewery beer - gorgeous stuff (and they've won a lot of awards too) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks for the snow play area pictures. Going to put it to the test with a 3 year old this afternoon!
snow conditions
angel, and...?

Hoping to take my 3 year old in a few weeks time... so interested in how you got on!
latest report
Hmm website booking needs some work - apparently performance coaching sessions are offered but there are no clues how to select them unless they've changed namefrom the confusing array of drop downs options on the booking screens. C- performance there. Just a suggestion why not list when the sessions are available then click thru to select rather than shoehorning everything into a find a timeslot system?

Found - apparently a new snowsports discipline called "performance" not under "ski" Puzzled Maybe this is code for snowlerblade or Le Mono?
snow report
fatbob, not very intuitive is it.
snow conditions
rob@rar, fatbob, I started a thread on their web site a while ago perhaps comments could be posted here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52019&highlight=
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, the new website has now gone live.
snow conditions
rob@rar, ok is see, perhaps now would be a good time to consolidate comments regarding the website on the other thread.
latest report
Richie_S wrote:
angel, and...?

Hoping to take my 3 year old in a few weeks time... so interested in how you got on!

Took my 3 yr old niece who was fascinated by the fact it could snow indoors. Was a little disappointed in the play area as the snow in the fenced off area was quite hard and icy, resulting in several tumbles and a few tears. Certainly no option to create a snowman or even throw a few snowballs. It needs some improvement but that may be in their planning - will be contacting snow centre with some comments.
ski holidays
Thanks for responding angel, that doesn't sound too encouraging. But I guess, the kids area might well be one of the last things on the agenda to 'get right' ...
ski holidays
Hello, A friend and I are planning a visit to the Snow Centre on the 21st of May for some recreational slope time and have some questions that other forum users may be able to answer regarding prices and time on the slope.

Basically we would like to book 4 hours off-peak slope time (taking advantage of the competitive all in price of £80 for 2 people) but ideally would like it two 2 hour slots as we will be driving up from south Somerset and back in the same day and we think that 4 continuous hours will be too much. Having phoned the booking number and spoken to a representative it sounds as if this is not allowed and we would have to book two 2 hour sessions at an all in cost of £114. The phone line was terrible quality and it was difficult to fully hear the explanation, but I was told that I could book one 4 hour session and use the facilities as and when but that this would come out of the slope time. I have also tried emailing with our requirements but I've had no response.

Can anyone confirm what the situation is, or share their experiences of booking slope time. The thought of a 2 hour drive there and a 2 hour drive back sandwiching 4 hours continuous skiing isn't that appealing, but we feel that in order to maximise our return for the drive 4 hours in a couple sessions would be best.

Thanks in advance, Nick
snow report
n1ckster, welcome to snowHeads.

Have to confess that I think 4 hours recreational time is a bit much. I think you'd be a bit bored unless you had a clear focus for what you would do with all that time. Booking four hours and taking 45 minutes off in the middle for a bite to eat and a rest in the cafe overlooking the slope would be OK I guess. Alternatively, look at this this thread for an alternative, and cheaper, way to ski for four hours with a few a bit of tuition thrown in.
snow report
So, back this evening from MY first session at Hemel... Went to the 'Freestyle' session 9 til 10 - there is a Freestyle ticket at £27 for 2 hours 9 til 11, but i booked my slot before that was available so paid £22 for an hour. This was fine, but i would have happily stayed for longer, as i was just starting to relax a little on the mid-sized kicker they'd built. Will definately do the long slot next time.

There is definately value to going to an indoor slope to practise boxes/rails/jumps as the you only need a short slope to do it. Previous times i've been to MK it's just been the normal slope layout, and frankly it gets a little dull after a couple of runs .... but with some obstacles in the way, wahoo!

Snow was good. The whole place all very nice. Not as big as I thought it might be, but certainly ok.

I'd heard poor comments from others on snowheads about the food. I had a pizza (Salami, Pepper, Sun Dried Tomato - this being my selection of 3 items from a list of 10 or so!) - and it was very good. The rest of the menu look fine also.

Generally, very pleased that it is less than a 15 minute drive from home!!
snow report
Oh, I should add...

One problem we had was the rope tow.

It kept stopping and slowing due to the number of people on it - this was less to do with the tow and more to do with the dumbass kids who kept piling on to it even when it was evidently over capacity!

I saw a 'Slope Patrol' person mention a few times about leaving space between people on the tow, but there was no person there permanently to enforce this -

I think they should post up a dirty great big sign that says "Please leave at least 3m between persons on the tow" or "Do not get on to the tow if there are already 8 people on it" - or something similar. It would benefit all.... a few moments waiting at the bottom would mean the tow actually took you all the way to the top!
ski holidays
Another little review

Contrary as ever, I ducked out of the Saturday bash, and went yesterday instead (I have to remain at least 160 metres away from Chemmy Alcott at all times, due to a restraining order).

It's a really good place, I've been to both MK and Landgraaf before and Hemel has easily the best snow, plus everything feels all nice and shiny and clean and well looked after. Early days though, and I'd be interested to see how things pan out once the facilities have been used by a million disrespectful teenagers and what have you.

Obviously it can't compete with Landgraaf for sheer enormity, but to my mind it felt a tad smaller than MK. This might be a matter of perception rather than one of scale as when I was at MK I was pretty hopeless and now I'm a fair bit better, so maybe that's why it felt more limiting. I don't know. It did feel crowded though.

The Slope Patrol people seemed very attentive and helpful and friendly, which was a STARK contrast to the pissy jobsworths at Milton. Well done, Slope Patrol! On the (slightly) other hand, there was a generally low standard of slope users in evidence, and one or two of them might have benefited from a quiet word in their shell-likes. e.g. 'please stop straight lining down the middle of the slope and crashing into people'. Not a big criticism that though, I'd rather that than the MK nazis.

Uplift. Hmm. Are those second-hand pomas? They're not very good. The one on the left as you look up the slope kept stopping, and a couple of times the liftie looked like he couldn't get it going again, leading to a bit of a delay. And the one on the right had a nasty stop, yank, stop, yank rhythm about it - not much fun. They both have an unpleasantly small disembarkation area as well with a deepish and quite narrow channel carved in the snow. I saw a few silly pile ups in these areas due to people getting stuck.

REALLY impressed by the centre's unwillingness to rape money out of your pockets. I was expecting a fiver for parking, a non-refundable couple of quid for the privilege of using a locker, etc. Nope. All free. Even the drinks machines were set to vend at almost-reasonable prices. That's highly laudable.

Rental gear was so-so, although it always is - especially snowboards. It's not been open long, but even so the bindings on my board had a bit smashed off them. God knows what they'll be like this time next year unless they spend a bit of time and money maintaining them. Maybe a £5 deposit and an equipment inspection to discourage rough-housing? Also: the 9 year old boy who gave me my board and boots didn't even ask which way round I ride, and just handed me a board set up the wrong way. That's poor. Not as poor as Landgraaf not fiddling with the DINs on skis, which is downright dangerous, but still poor.

I didn't have the pleasure of sampling the delights of the cafe/bar but sig. other did as she wasn't accompanying me on the slope on this occasion, and she said it was quite nice and - again - priced sensibly. Nice viewing area though, I could tell that much.

Overall it's a good place. Miles better than MK, nowhere near as good as Langraaf. It did it's job for me though (I can now, sort of, incompetently ride switch - yahooo!). And I'll probably go again. Plus the Snow & Rock has a ludicrous sale on at the moment, and ended up being worth the petrol there (from Brighton) just to buy a single jumper from there, such was the discount. So that was a nice bonus.

+ve
Awesome snow
Lovely facilities
Top quality staff
No sense of being robbed by 'extras' that are wholly necessary
Good branch of S&R for apres retail therapy.

-ve
I bit on the titchy side
Possible worries about the gear and servicing side of the operation
Annoying lifts for various reasons
snow report
paulio, Your comments regarding the Poma's certainly applied on Saturday night as well. Similarly your coments re pricing and the bar, I wonder how long that will last? I guess car parking will always be free as there are plenty of residential streets nearby to park in if they charged. Nine years old was he, I thought more 10 or 11 wink My first impression at the bar was not good, a long wait (one person busy cleaning the coffee machine another stacking glasses whilst ignoring the customers)and then no ice left, but a change of shift (?) seemed to bring fresh faces and far better friendlier service.
Overall a good facility. Very Happy
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
...I have to remain at least 160 metres away from Chemmy Alcott at all times, due to a restraining order...

paulio, something tells me a restraining order won't stop the likes of you from coming close to the object of your desire... Laughing Laughing Laughing

good review. i found the pomas were working well when i visited (apart from someone falling off badly, though not injured, and delaying restarting the lifts.)

i also had a good experience in the bar and have nothing but good things to say about hemel.

my only -ve is that i don't drive and will mostly visit in the evenings, so i have to pay for a cab to the train station after cos i'm too tired to walk back. but that's not something hemel can improve or change in any way.
snow conditions
I thought the pomas were good. The
Quote:
nasty stop, yank, stop, yank rhythm
seems to be brought about by the tension in the new springs. Perhaps the tension needs slacking off or increasing. The spring is there to ease the point when the lift engages ones butt. In La Rosier the springs are shot and the cushioning effect is almost zero. The opposite seems to be happening at Hemel in that the spring is partly engaged all the way up the slope and occaissionaly bottoms out, giving a jolt. I actually found this quite pleasurable
Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy