Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to turn?...

Poster: A snowHead
Masque, that is rather humbling viewing Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno wrote:
... humbling ...

It is. All credit to him.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly wrote:
...... [skiing] is incredibly good for my health, I reckon the NHS should prescribe me a season!

If you find a GP willing to write out the prescription, please pass on his name wink Where's Kramer when you need him??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
...... [skiing] is incredibly good for my health, I reckon the NHS should prescribe me a season!

If you find a GP willing to write out the prescription, please pass on his name wink Where's Kramer when you need him??

I'll have one too please. My job, although I love it, is murder on all my aches and pains...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Axsman, I'm confused. Surely your uphill shoulder is over your inside ski? Dropping the outside shoulder a la rob@rar does indeed put your hips to the inside but surely that just means you keep going in the same direction but in a tighter arc? I don't see how it can initiate a turn.

Probably just me though Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda, uphill shoulder is over the new outside ski (of the turn you are about to start). So dropping your uphill shoulder puts your inside hip downhill, to the inside of the new turn.

I would be careful with this type of drill though as I think it could lead to some strangely contorted positions!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda, Dunno. It works though. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, the curse of uphill/downhill. Guaranteed to cause confusion. Inside/outside is where it's at!

beanie1, yes, it can cause a bit of contortion if done excessively, but isn't it just a different way of describing an angulated (as opposed to inclined) position?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, hmm, just visualising it here... You see I think if you drop one shoulder, the other will go up (admittedly the hips will also drop in). For me it brings to mind that leaning out of the turn exercise you sometimes see instructors doing with groups... If you think about angulation the shoulders are actually normally more or less level with each other:

http://etvsport.ee/failid/galerii2358.jpg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, I'd be wary of suggesting a mental trigger which involved the shoulders because it could all go horribly wrong, but I can see it does push the hips into the turn if done in a particular way, and as Axsman described it worked for him. My preference would be to suggest tipping the skis on edge or to push the hips into the centre of the turn, but if the shoulder thing works without causing unintended consequences then it's one thing to try I suppose.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK I'll try again - when does this "shoulder dropping" occur? If it is to "initiate" the turn as described then it must be whilst the skis are still finishing the old turn ? Sounds like a disaster about to happen to me Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What I'm doing isn't shoulder dropping. Focusing on the arm I'd use to indicate direction of turn on a bike, I sort of lead the turn with that arm/shoulder so as to encourage my weight to be on the new outside ski (opposite side to the shoulder) and discourage my shoulders from turning into the hill, away from the fall line. I guess it could make the outside shoulder drop? Don't know really! Anyway it has helped my turns a lot. I've a long way to go still though!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, be careful you don't fall into the habit of swinging your shoulder around (although I'm sure that easiski would have jumped on you like a ton of bricks if you had been doing that!).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda wrote:
OK I'll try again - when does this "shoulder dropping" occur? If it is to "initiate" the turn as described then it must be whilst the skis are still finishing the old turn ? Sounds like a disaster about to happen to me Laughing

At cross-over?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Do nothing else, don't steer, don't pressure, just drop the shoulder and see what happens.

What happens is, you turn

rob shall we just agree to drop all this talk of shoulder dropping wink Laughing
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

Do nothing else, don't steer, don't pressure, just drop the shoulder and see what happens.

What happens is, you turn

rob shall we just agree to drop all this talk of shoulder dropping wink Laughing

Yes, perhaps Smile
ski holidays
Just one suggestion to those of you who have mentioned the difficulty of getting that first turn in. When you set off, head straight down the hill not across, then your first turn is just a half turn which is much easier than traversing and trying to do a full turn at slow speed. If possible, make the half turn to your stronger side. If you then link into your first full turn, you are initiating that turn from an already dynamic posture.

Trust me, it's not really scary and it works Cool
snow conditions
ccl, good idea on a gentle slope and is what I do to teach people to carve (step 2, step 1 is a traverse on edges to get easily the sensation of the skis turning for you). However for an already timid skier on a steep slope not sure it would be that helpful.
snow conditions
beanie1, I was always taught to do it as it allows you to get a feel for the snow conditions before you do a whole turn... thus allowing you to adjust strategy if you misread the conditions.... Quite a few times my instructors have done this and called out a "stop" as they make this half turn... gnarly snow that the want to give instruction about before allowing me to drop in... once or twice it was too late and I was in there with them already... once in really nasty stuff...

Taking a student to a slope that is waaaaay too intimidating is a good way to achieve a backwards progression... so that was not usually an issue... I did not usually choose to ski with instructors like that...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Butterfly, be careful you don't fall into the habit of swinging your shoulder around (although I'm sure that easiski would have jumped on you like a ton of bricks if you had been doing that!).

Definitely!
snow report
rob@rar, It's her inside shoulder and arm that she's moving, puts more weight/pressure on the turning ski and stops any rotation of the shoulder (and hopefully, but not always the hip). Butterfly, Is a bit exaggerated at present, but it will become more subtle wwith comfort and practise. Very Happy
ski holidays
ccl wrote:
When you set off, head straight down the hill not across, then your first turn is just a half turn which is much easier than traversing and trying to do a full turn at slow speed.

Agree, or if not straight down the fall line, at least more down than across. Nowadays, now that I feel a bit more competent, I usually start off from a halt with my skis pointing to about 5 o'clock. Another way that I found works is to start off in a forward side slip. By doing that, your skis are already flat so half of the edge to edge is already done. I also find it's good if you're just pootling while watching for other people or waiting for friends, as it means you can start moving in full control before you actually start skiing (as in more dynamic movements)
snow report
easiski wrote:
rob@rar, It's her inside shoulder and arm that she's moving, puts more weight/pressure on the turning ski and stops any rotation of the shoulder (and hopefully, but not always the hip). Butterfly, Is a bit exaggerated at present, but it will become more subtle wwith comfort and practise. Very Happy

OK, I wasn't quite sure. How is the inside shoulder moved - is it forwards, with the arm coming up a little?
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Butterfly, Is a bit exaggerated at present, but it will become more subtle wwith comfort and practise. Very Happy

It was the thing that first helped me to really feel the change of pressure onto the outside ski - a real "lightbulb" moment - I guess everyone has different ones. When feeling I was losing grip on the steepest bit I skied on the Jandri remembering to work my shoulder/arm was what got the control back.

And yes, I already noticed it becoming far more subtle on easier terrain when I was more relaxed (and oddly enough when having fun "whooshing" through that little valley on P/Cretes - still can't believe how much I enjoyed that snowHead ).
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
ccl, good idea on a gentle slope and is what I do to teach people to carve (step 2, step 1 is a traverse on edges to get easily the sensation of the skis turning for you). However for an already timid skier on a steep slope not sure it would be that helpful.

I think we are talking of two things here: firstly the matter of starting off downhill instead of across which I would argue is a good idea in its own right ; secondly the matter of timidity. Perhaps it is good to get to grips with this approach on a slope that isn't causing any great anxiety and then to build up confidence in doing it on progressively steeper slopes. But those who have mentioned the problem of long indecisive traverses are not too timid to be skiing these slopes in the first place and I suggest this method of starting could well be helpful to them.
snow report
I hope I'm not alone, but I've been sat here wriggling my hips and indicating with my arms to see which bit of the body ends up where (I hope no-one was watching). All of the above instructions seem to do the opposite of what they describe except easiski's, talk of the inside arm which would appear to have the desired effect.

After reading all that I don't think I'm going to try any of it, it all sounds so confusing!!
ski holidays
Megamum, I did the same earlier today Smile

For the shoulder thing stand in front of a mirror, straight on. Drop one shoulder down (not forwards or backwards) as far as you can, allowing the rest of your body (especially hips) to move to accommodate the shoulder dropping down, but keeping your feet in the same place. Notice what happens to your hips - do they stay in the same place or do they move. If they move, which way do they move?
snow report
Megamum, rob@rar, are there tickets for sale? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Salsa skiing anyone?
snow report
rob@rar, OK, instructions followed, I think (that's the operative word!) if I dip the right hand shoulder that the left hand hip rises, yes? but the effect is very subtle.

So following the instructions above if I am traversing the hill from left to right then the right hand shoulder is uphill. If I dip the right hand shoulder the left hand hip should lift. This puts pressure on the right hand - currently the uphill ski, yes?.............which should then initiate the turn, but it must be very momentary and at the start of the turn, because I would have thought that weights the wrong edge of outside ski if left on for too long, when I turn I think I put most of my weight on the inside edge of the outside ski as the turn finishes otherwise I'd end up on my backside when its icy Laughing

However, its very difficult to think about what you do when your not actually skiing, I've been sitting here trying to visualise what I do when I turn.

Hurtle, Definitely visions of 'Do the Bump'!! Laughing
snow conditions
No one seems to have mentioned this concept SNOW DISPLACEMENT & SPEED CONTROL in a nice article from Phil Smith at Snoworks.

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/blog4.html

In essence "Ask almost anyone how they control speed or slow down and 99.9% of responses would be 'turn' . . . " worth a read as he accurately writes about what turning and snow displacement do in order to control your speed which answers a lot of people's questions about how to cope with controlling speed.
ski holidays
Megamum, sorry, I can't quite follow your description (too many uphill and downhill references for my little brain to follow!).

If you drop one shoulder the effect is to move your hips sideways (you noticed that one hip moved up, it can only have done this if it also moved sideways assuming you didn't move your feet). Moving your hips sideways changes the angle of your legs from the vertical, which means that the edge angle of your skis on the snow also changes. If you put your skis on an edge with your weight on them you will follow an arc as your skis carve a line in the snow. Pretty simple, and as discussed above possible not a useful mental trigger for everyone because playing around with the shoulders can lead to other problems arising.
latest report
johnnyh, I think a few of us have talked about skidding, either directly of by implication (when mentioning rotation or pivoting).
ski holidays
Hmm, I was taught not to drop a shoulder and concentrate on keeping them level. In fact it's one of the (many rolling eyes ) things I know can go wrong. Shoulders, hips, knees, ankles - so many joints to screw up your skiing! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Quote:

I think a few of us have talked about skidding,

perhaps . . . but no one has described clearly the mechanism (and sense) in which speed is controlled through the "displacement of snow" within the turn. I think the PS article does a good job of separating the two ideas out namely that of steering, and controlling speed with these being the two goals of many skiers.
latest report
johnnyh, yes I agree. It's a good bit of writing from Phil. Most of my technical understanding of skiing has come from him, either directly or indirectly.
snow report
rob@rar, Ahhh.....I been wriggling again, yes I've found the movement of the hips they do move to one side. I'm in bare feet and I can feel the way the feet want to roll - it would indeed put skis onto their edges and I think at a similar angle, which is what I sometimes find is the most difficult thing to do. I might try wiggling on an easy slope going down the fall line and see what effect it has.
ski holidays
Megamum, well done, we got there in the end! On an easy slope just think about tipping your skis onto an edge, both skis the same amount. Don't do anything else, just tip. Don't think about shoulders or hips, just tipping your skis. Start of in a straight line down a very gentle slope and follow the curve that the skis want to take. Important: don't do anything else, just tip and let the skis do want they want to do.
snow conditions

wink
snow report
Yoda, I didn't know you were a fan of Spyder gear.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy