Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age old argument....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
sahsah, not possible to compare stats for those three groups unless you limit the sampling to similar slopes in similar situations. Pointless comparing guided group (who will spend a large proportion of their time off-piste in search of fresh snow) and all skiers (who will spend a large proportion of their time on piste).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, I disagree. safety is about relative risk. It is even worth comparing nursery slope accident stats with off-piste stats if you want to know the relative risk between the two. You could never 'simularise' the variables e.g. within Avalanche risk on one slope to give statistical parity if that single slope was not the one and only one on which Av risk was assessed. So, it's about relative risk comparisons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sahsah, I would love to agree... but in this case I think you are probably wrong and that unless there is some broad comparability - eg perhaps injuries sustained during ski lessons of advanced skiers vs whilst skiing with reps. Also I think there would need to be some degree of age matching, otherwise such comparisons mean little or nothing.

Perhaps injuries per skier day/hour would be a start?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sahsah, what will you do with the information that guided groups get avalanched and killed at a massively higher rate that for all skiers? Decide not to ski with guides because it's relatively more dangerous? That info might be useful if you're an insurance actuary, but as a guide to behaviour for someone who is considering skiing off piste it seems a useless piece of information to me.

I can see there is a lot of value in comparing guided groups who ski at Avy Risk 2 compared to Avy Risk 3, or even qualified mountain guides compared SCGB reps. But avalanche data for on-piste skiers compared to off-piste skiers is like comparing apples with elephants.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It would be preferable to have figures as a percentage of skiing time, i.e. taking numbers and frequency(days) into account.
To be able to compare the relative risk of:
Overall risks for all skiers applying, or not, the full range of safety considerations.
Overall risks for all guide led groups applying, or not, professional safety considerations.
Overall risks for SCGB Rep/Leader led groups applying, or not, the SCGB safety considerations.
Will give a comparison of risks across the range of skiing that those groups do in the light of the safety considerations that they apply.
That is a very sound comparison to make!
If further analysis is possible from the sources of information that allows narrower comparisons to be made, that would be to the good.

It appears to me that the SCGB management of risk is, by suggestion, less sound than that of professional guides. If so let's see the details. We can then, relative to the different risks they are managing, make a judgement about whether the SCGB could improve it's risk management. As member of SCGB who also uses guides, I like all other members, have to make judgements on these issues; hence use any stats that can be derived.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-03-09 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sahsah, that's all very sensible and would help you to make informed judgements, but in the absence of that detailed info I don't think that the more generic info is "2nd best", it's just irrelevant.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, I edited my 13th post while you posted, it now has an explanation of why it's relevant.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Peerless wrote:
I was there, I was the one he spoke to. Here are the facts, my opinion is that it is at least partly sour grapes from guides who want to keep the best areas for their paying punters.

David, thanks for your post - it sheds quite a bit of light on the story.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Has anybody on the SCGB website answered the question 'Was the Rep following current SCGB guidelines taking his group into the Grand Vallon' Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
Has anybody on the SCGB website answered the question 'Was the Rep following current SCGB guidelines taking his group into the Grand Vallon' Puzzled

As I said before, Combe du Signal is not in the Grand Vallon.

To make it simple, the rep did not take the group into the Grand Vallon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward wrote:

I'm still confused by your explanation of where the group were. Maybe you need to deal with that first?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy