Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free wine - TO approaches

Poster: A snowHead
"With free wine during dinner you can be certain of keeping costs down".

Hmm, or not. I find it amazing that TOs skimp on something that is actually jolly cheap (what's an extra couple of glasses of French wine, £1? in the context of a holiday that is not cheap), but can make the difference between customers thinking that they are getting a good deal, or not.

Alpine Action were very generous - our chalet always had more wine than we could drink (admittedly there were some who did not partake much but even so there was loads).

Neilson were reputed to be very stingy - tiny glasses, and guests were rushed through dinner so that the moment coffee was served there was no more to drink.

Other experiences?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last, We always found there was plenty. But what did annoy me sometimes was that there was absolutely nothing for kids. Cheap orange juice, or squash, wouldn't cost any more than wine. James the Last,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As the chalet host said to us, "What's the point in rationing? You all walk past the wine store when you put your skis in the ski room. Do you think I'm staying in every night to guard it?" Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only time I've been to a TO chalet was a Crystal chalet in Andorra and I have to say that the chalet host was brilliant, kept opening further bottles of wine and putting them on the table as long as a glass needed filling.

Not having that much experience of chalets in general (so correct me if I'm wrong), surely it is more to do with what the chalet host is like rather than the TO, or were we just lucky?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Experience of Chalet wine,
BEST > Silver Ski Excellent quality and Quantity
Worst > ski Beat, we went out and bought our own, it was that bad. Skullie (A few seasons ago now so hopefully better theses days)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wasn't great when we were with Ski Beat - 5 years ago now though.

Drinkable though - got better as the evening wore on Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never had problems with wine supply in chalets, always generous, although the quality was never better than OK (never awful, though). Once, I can't remember the TO, we kept on drinking the wine after dinner, tut, tut, mainly I think because we were annoyed at the chalet girls being pretty poor cooks and pretty ghastly people (not quite sure of the logic there, may have confused things), and we weren't given any with dinner the next night, which is pretty feeble PR with a chalet of 14 or 15 people looking for a similar hol next year, for the sake of probably £20 worth of wine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I went with YSE over Christmas the chalet girls told us exactly where all the wine was and to help ourselves as often as we liked. It wasn't half bad wine either to be honest. It really is the stuff like that which turns the holiday into something you would actively recommend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't stayed in a chalet yet but I do remember a couple of years ago when we were going the second to last week of the season that the reps were getting all excited as they got to drink all of the wine left over at the end of the season. Maybe that's why some are stingy, so they can keep more of it for themselves? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree the ski beat wine is a bit nasty to be honest but im no wine connaisseur!

We had a good setup where they (now im not sure if this was the chalet hosts or the party leader) bought a coule of crates of beer and you put 2E in the jar when you took a beer. The group was a circle of honest friends (plus me and OH) so that worked fine.

Overall - I dont see the fuss about alcohol on skiing holidays. I didnt get drunk once during my stay coz I was too worn out. Skiing all day from 930 to 5 doesnt work up much of an alcohol apetite for me, I mean at a push I had 2 beers per night.

Each to their own but if the wine is a big deal - buy your own.

OP: When you add "free unlimited wine" it really does make the holiday sound like a better deal, but I guess most who have experienced it would have a better idea of its true worth.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have only ever done catered chalet, never been with any of the major TO's as have heard the stories that everything stops at coffee, agree with Silverski being one of the best, so are Ski Amis and the independent chalet owners we have used are very good, we always ask what their wine policy is. I also like ones that have an honour bar, so the staff can make an extra bob or two
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The company I stay with offer all pre-dinner drinks (beers, spirits, mixers etc.), good quality, unlimited bottled wine (for which I have seen new bottles opened quite happily into the wee small hours..) plus stickies with coffee. OK, they are friends of mine, but this service is available for all guests.

For all TO's, it generally helps if you are polite, friendly and not too pompous towards your hosts Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stayed with Hucksters at the Mt Blanc in Vallandre one week and the wine was so bad I went down the Funicular and bought 4 x 5ltr. plastic tubs of red from Lidl in Bourg . . . didn't 'alf bollux my balance sliding back down Foret . . . and shared it with the rest of the table. Seriously pi$$ed off the management Twisted Evil but I think he got his own back as a good pair of Oakley bins went missing from my room Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Silverski - "Its plonk but its good quality plonk" used to be the best quote from their brochure snowHead

We used to leave loads out when we went to bed and tell them to top themselves up - we NEVER got through all the wine we were allocated each week and thats with 5 boozey chalet hosts too Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Famille wine policy was always fine - acceptable quality (not great, but who's looking a gift horse...) but no limit on consumption, except very occsaionally when the chalet hosts were a bit "off message". Swiftly remedied though. Toofy Grin

Best was a cheeky end-of-season week when we got to "test" the samples for next season, many of which were of truly, truly eckshellunt quality, no really the besht in the alpsh and did I ever tell you you're my besht f**ing mate... Big Wink Big Wink
snow report
When we cater (not as frequently as we'd like) we budget on half a bottle each a head with dinner, and will provide more if needed. For whatever reason, we've never needed to (it is NOT obvious that there's any limitation). We usually end up with supplies left over.

Re quality, we use the same wine for parties at home, it's €2.50 a bottle and very quaffable. Unless you order the Chardonnay forgetting that the OH is allergic...
ski holidays
"free" "gift horse" well to be honest, we've paid for it...
latest report
Was in La Plagne at the start of the month and the wine arrived in 20 Litre poly lined boxes. We also spotted the invoice. Red was 16 eruo's for 20 L and white was 19 Euros for 20 L.
ski holidays
john w wrote:
Was in La Plagne at the start of the month and the wine arrived in 20 Litre poly lined boxes. We also spotted the invoice. Red was 16 eruo's for 20 L and white was 19 Euros for 20 L.

Coo, you lucky booger, quality stuff Very Happy
snow conditions
Only been to a Chalet twice, the quantity was unlimited and the quality perfectly acceptable. I have to laugh at brochures that try and swing a £800.00 pp deal by stating there is a free drink on arrival!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I've stayed in Mark Warner chalet hotel twice - it seems to be that the staff can drink any open bottles that are left over at the end of the meal. They are very happy to open fresh bottles for you wink Toofy Grin
snow report
john w, ugh.
ski holidays
been to La Tania with Skipower - wine certainly was 'unlimited'. Allegedly some Russian guests had it for breakfast! Also stayed in Rosiere with Crystal and wine was limited to 1 red 1 white and 1 rosie between 8!! In Soll with Crystal staff apppeared from kitchen with carafe and topped up once or twice - pathetic.
ski holidays
went to les deux alps and stayed in a chalet, as near the end of the season there was lots of bubbles to drink as well as a never ending red and white supply, the store area was left open after the staff went home each day so we could carry on as much as we wanted
snow report
I stayed in a Crystal chalet in Kitz last season and the wine was plentiful but a bit vinegary. But the food more than made up for it...
ski holidays
James the Last, I have two examples.
I've stayed in a Mark Warner chalet hotel, and they certainly dont skimp on the amount of wine you can have. Several different wines on offer and these were freely available during the meal, the bottle remained with you. You weren't able to get extra wine out of meal times but we never went short! At Courchevel prices it certainly helped on the budget, bar prices are excessive.

I also stayed in SkiWorld 'chalet', what they served up was pure swill! It came out of a plastic barrel, and you had to request it by the glass. With the poor table service you were lucky to get 2 glasses per meal. Probably a good idea as it was so poor. They had a policy of 'as much as you want' but only during the main course. The whole set up , including food was 'budget', or should I say penny pinching!
snow report
James the Last, Skiworld, Thomosn, Mark Warner and SkiTotal were really generous with us, so not had a stingy one yet !
snow report
I've stayed in Skiworld chalets, and while they haven't been stingy with the wine they do stop serving after dinner - which is just as well, because it was pretty awful. To me I don't think "free wine" is much of a selling point - it's the kind of stuff that in France it's cheaper in the shops than almost any other liquid!

The last time we went to a chalet, I decided to nip out and get a decent bottle of wine or two from the local shop to celebrate the last night, but I slipped over on ice outside the shop and broke my arm! Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our house wines are really rather good, even if I say so myself. It is truly unlimited. We have a mini bar with free soft drinks & beer you can help yourself any time you like. There is also house white in the fridge and red available.

Our upgrade list is pretty serious if you like that kind of thing...
snow report
Paul-B, that's terrible, but don't leave it hanging like that - did the bottle break too?
snow report
FenlandSkier, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
parlor, sounds great especially as I can't stand wine so usually have to get a couple of crates of beer in at the start of the week. Got any late deals going for the end of season? Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Paul-B, that's terrible, but don't leave it hanging like that - did the bottle break too?

No, it was on the way in!
ski holidays
This whole debate underlines for me the drawbacks of catered chalets (vs Half Board Hotels). Less facilities (no pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, Bar or night club on the premises), less staff (a couple of chalet persons vs a team of maids, cleaners, waiters and bar staff), further from the facilites (i.e. not near to any restaurants or other bars), limited menu offerings (i.e. you get what they cook, when they cook it, and all have to eat (and breakfast) at the same time), and limited wine choices (you get what they give you, and only as much as they provide).

With all these drawbacks, and a price tag that is often higher than staying in a 3 or 4 star hotel Why do people use Chalets at all?

We tried it once in Meribel, and while it was comfortable and pleasant, we wouldn't do it again.

I'd MUCH rather pay for my wine, drink what I want, as much as I want, when I want, than have any amount of 'free plonk' that isn't free at all of course, it's just part of the price you pay, without you having any control over what you receive. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
Our house wines are really rather good, even if I say so myself. It is truly unlimited. We have a mini bar with free soft drinks & beer you can help yourself any time you like. There is also house white in the fridge and red available.

Our upgrade list is pretty serious if you like that kind of thing...

Quote:
[Our Chef] has cooked for the most discerning of clients, including Olympic athletes.

So huge piles of Pasta, Potatoes, Cornflakes and milk then?

I shared a house with a chap who rowed for the States in the World Championships, and that was all he used to eat.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Paul-B,
Phew! what a relief.
ski holidays
Paul-B, was it your drinking arm?
ski holidays
Axsman wrote:
This whole debate underlines for me the drawbacks of catered chalets (vs Half Board Hotels). Less facilities (no pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, Bar or night club on the premises), less staff (a couple of chalet persons vs a team of maids, cleaners, waiters and bar staff), further from the facilites (i.e. not near to any restaurants or other bars), limited menu offerings (i.e. you get what they cook, when they cook it, and all have to eat (and breakfast) at the same time), and limited wine choices (you get what they give you, and only as much as they provide).

With all these drawbacks, and a price tag that is often higher than staying in a 3 or 4 star hotel Why do people use Chalets at all?

We tried it once in Meribel, and while it was comfortable and pleasant, we wouldn't do it again.

I'd MUCH rather pay for my wine, drink what I want, as much as I want, when I want, than have any amount of 'free plonk' that isn't free at all of course, it's just part of the price you pay, without you having any control over what you receive. Evil or Very Mad

If that was the general experience, I would agree, but you paint a pretty pessimistic picture of chalet hols. Although there have been exceptions, I've mostly been very happy with chalet and chalet-hotel accomodation and service. You pays your money, you takes your choice, but if you don't do your homework then, well, caveat emptor.
ski holidays
The Skiworld wine was OK, came from bottles which were readily opened. More was provided than we were ever going to get through - tiredness from skiing makes overindulgence difficult! Food was good, and as we were a group of 10, we occupied the whole chalet and would have eaten together anyway in a hotel. We could be rowdier in the chalet than we would be in a hotel, and we might not have ended up on the same table.
snow report
Quote:

We could be rowdier in the chalet than we would be in a hotel, and we might not have ended up on the same table.

V. good point Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy