Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, so I have heard about it but not really ''up'' on it if you get me...

Have you been? Any good? Where can you do it and in which months?

The only glaciers I have heard of are Matterhorn and Hintertux, don't know about skiing on them though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've summer skied on the Matterhorn glacier in September. Fantastic views, but in general the most expensive, dullest, wettest morning's skiing imaginable. I've also winter skied on it (March, I think), and it was pretty bleak at the time. Not the most exciting skiing in Zermatt.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hintertux is the best, of the Austrian, French and Swiss glaciers I've skied. Glaciers are best not skied in high summer. May or October onwards are usually good - if you're skiing them outside the winter ski season.

As richmond says, it's an expensive way to enjoy limited skiing, usually for half a day (before the afternoon thaw sets in and the lifts are shut).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing on (or in) a Proper Glacier
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow-Queen, It really depends on what you're looking for. It's not like winter ski-ing at all (I assume you're thinking about summer). The runs are shorter and the area you can ski is limited compared to winter. Having said that, the weather is usually good, the snow can vary from hard (but usually grippy) first thing in the morning to heavy slush around 13.00 (depending on the temperature).

Having said all that, it's great for practising and refining your technique, and there are a million and one other things to do when you're not ski-ing.

If you're looking either for a cheaper way of improving your technique (everything except the liftpass is about 25% cheaper here in the summer), or a super summer holiday where ski-ing is a part, but not the only thing, then you can't do better. (Of course I'm biased because I teach on our glacier in the summer!!!!!!!!!)

In France you can ski at Tignes, Les Deux Alpes, Val d'Isere in the summer and sometimes at Alpe d'Huez (very small). In Switzerland there are good glaciers at Zermatt (I liked it), and Saas Fe. In Austria I know about Stubaital (very beautiful), Hintertux, Pitztal. There are probably several I've missed out, but no doubt other Snowheads will add them.

I haven't come across any websites devoted to glacier ski-ing, so I suppose you'll just have to search for each one individually. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frankly I wouldn't recommend taking a holiday to go summer skiing on any glacier, unless you are combining the skiing with some other activity such as hiking or mountain-biking. Of the Austrian glaciers I would recommend Stubai, Kaprun and Hintertux, whereby Hintertux has the most extensive skiing in Summer, but it's not exactly amazing!
On the other hand if what you want is to get some late skiing in May then the glaciers are really quite good. You can usually still ski down to the middle station at Stubai and Hintertux, and there are quite good pistes for all levels. In Hintertux there is also quite a lot of off-piste available if you like to take a risk!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I haven't come across any websites devoted to glacier ski-ing

No, you won't, because there aren't any -not official ones anyway. You're supposed to "add on" skiing to your existing alpine active week (altho racing teams are well in there, hogging most of the snow at some glaciers bless em they've got to practice somewhere). Wot with all the hiking, biking, kyaking, yadda yadda yadda you're supposed to be doing, you're only "supposed" to spend a day or two up the glacier. Well, that's what Thomson et al expect when they flog their active week holidays.

For the rest of us who actually WANT to spend their whole time skiing, you'll have to check the resort websites (as per easiski's list) for opening times/lift prices/resort accomodation. And probably take lessons with easiski while you're at it Very Happy

Bear in mind a) some glaciers close for a short period during summer for lift maintenance/slope preservation, and b) you can only ski from about 8am until about 2pm as the snow tends to get really slushy in the afternoon heat.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies guys!! Most helpful.

I actually presumed it would be much cheaper than in the regular winter ski season. Admittedly it doesn't sound or look as good as your regular skiing but wondered how it measured up.

So how much is it then approx. for a lift pass?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow-Queen, Our summer lift pass is about the same as winter - yes I know it's shocking. Sad You also get to use the swimming pool, skating rink (as much as you like), one go on the tennis, golf, downhill scooters, adventure park and several other things I think.

Accommodation is cheaper in June and July, ski and boot hire and lessons are cheaper too. Also you spend so much time outside that it seems less crowded than winter. We get lots of italian racers and some national teams training which is a bit of a pain. However where in winter about 80% of the skiers are pretty rough, in summer it's completely reversed and at least 80% are really, really good, which I find inspiring. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A summer day ticket in Hintertux seems to cost 29 Euro. In winter the price is 35 Euro. The summer skiing is not cheap, considering the difference in the quality of the ski area in summer and winter. See http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/de/sommerpreise.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not as cheap as all that, but the glaciers are expensive to operate during the summer months for the relatively small number of tourists that turn up, so it's understandable. You do get free entrance to the ice rink and outdoor swimming pool thrown in at Les Deux Alpes, if I remember right!

For a family holiday Les 2 Alpes in the summer was superb - I was there three times in July/August, the kids had a fantastic time. There's paragliding, summer luge track, you name it, fun and games for all ages.

An article on the summer scene here ...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our lift company (the DAL) claim they lose money every day in the summer. I'm not 100% convinced of that, but last summer was very poor for visiting skiers - shame because the conditions were excellent.

BTW you can expect temperatures of around 30 degrees in the summer afternoons down in the village.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy