Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Fly drive

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all - first time poster...

just booked flights to Geneva and a car, leaving on wednesday morning, just 4 nights.

Not done anything about accommodation yet though as we cant decide where to drive too?

if anyone can offer any advice it would be appreciated - were competent skiers etc, never been to Chamonix though, but were dubious about crowds next week, and only having 4 days would prefer a ski in/ski out location.

only two of us, we'd prefer a decent apres scene, and not too costly - also, any websites that let you search for rooms for less than a week would be a big help!

many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stuntman Mike, Welcome to snowheads.
If you do a search on the forum for les carroz, specifically by author name lucan.
loads of us gave some advice to him recently and if i recall correctly when he got back he said it was his best short trip ever.

Only downside is LC is not the wildest of places but there are a few bars with pool tables video games etc.

If you cant find what you are looking for or have specific questions PM me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stuntman Mike, Welcome to Snowheads!
As Bradders says I've just come back from Les Carroz after a four day trip with the lads and had a ball!
Great little town, good links to the Grand Massif area & plenty of good restaurants and not that expensive either.
Downside; apres ski scene is quiet and there's still a few old, slow lifts, but neither of those points were an issue to us.
We landed in Geneva at 10am on the Sunday morning & were on the slopes for 12.30 that afternoon, so for a short break to doesn't really get much better.
Have a look at this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34178
Plenty of reading there.
If you looking for somewhere to stay it's worth dropping big Marcellus a line.

ianbradders,
Alright Bradders mate?
Looking forward to Wednesday? "Were still in this and we're still fighting! And I would love it if we beat them, LOVE IT!"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stuntman Mike, Be careful if hiring the car from Geneva Airport Swiss side. National Alamo charge for using the courtesy bus to the car pick up point!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lucan, Not bad Chris, i dont think i would ever use the term looking forward to anything to do with that shower.

I have a couple of questions for you and i dont want to hijack this thread so i will PM you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Proving a real ball ache finding decent digs - anyone been to Megeve? Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not actually been to Megeve but it has a rep as a place with flattering pistes & a well-heeled clientele of ladies that lunch in Chanel & occasionally mince down a blue!

Morzine sounds much more your kind of place, again abt 1hr from GVA (v close to Grand Massif) but much larger ski area (the Portes du Soleil). I stayed at the Hotel Grand Tetras last month for 56E DB&B each & v nice it was too.

Dallypaul & snow&trek on this forum do lets in Morzine, or there is a website called, I think, morzinelets which was recommended on here. Do search to check that (& I couldn't use their services so haven't road tested yet). Large accom choice, hotels on morzine.com IIRC. The next village is Les Gets (share a local lift pass) but think that has less nightlife & is more family oriented - great skiing tho'.

Morzine is a nice size town, never >10mins walk to any pub/lift, but buzzy, proper town not a ski hamlet. Need to go to Avoriaz for ski in/out but it seemed a but freaky when I was skiing thru it - I'd def prefer short walks & occ hop home on a bus to living in the Ghost Town up the hill. If you have a car you can chose where to start the day: Nyon, Prodains & Ardent (check the piste map) are all better start points into the lift system than Pleney or Supermorzine (the lifts out of the town centre). OTOH the buses are very good if you are hitting the slopes 9ish & coming home between 4 & 6 (never tested at other times). The area is so huge that it is v useful being able to ski to a bus stop for a 10-15min ride back to Morzine - you can end up absolutely miles away & in another country. Don't push it with the connections home - it could prove vvv expensive! Obviously will be a bit busier now but I only remember a queue for the Pleney Gondola, tiny at 9 but growing significantly 9.30-10.30 (hint: the chair beside connects to another chair which takes you to the same place). I did this on the day I was feeling a bit laggardly. Otherwise it was either ski on or <30s queue. Except when idiot frenchmen decide they need to wait for their mate(s) right at the flaps & look surprised that others might actually want to use the lift, rather than standing around chatting.

I barely scratched the surface in 5d here. I would completely recommend it over Chamonix for anyone who wants to ski on & around pistes. I went to Cham 3yrs ago & in hindsight really enjoyed it because the trip organiser hooked us up with a guy who has lived there 15yrs. Unless you can shell out for a guide or have local knowledge, it could seem a bit limited (it isn't but you won't find out in 4d).

My friend went to Morzine for 10w, 5yrs ago. He's back for a full season this year. It is low (1000m) but same as Cham & Megeve so might rain if unlucky, but there is loads of snow to resort level this year.

Hope this helps as it's delayed my bedtime!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you check La Clusaz or Grand Bornand?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
its ok, plumped for Les Carroz now.

Morzine was my first choice all along, just could not get fixed up wuth anything suitable.

we have a car so its only 45/60 mins drive to there or chamonix if we feel the need - defo wanna try the valley blanche decent one day!

Thanks for your help folks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well we really liked Les Carroz - the village is very nice, nowt much going on at night but we found half board digs with free wine so it didnt really matter. easy links to the whole of the Grand Massif which is as good a ski area ive ever been to. we had a car so nipped up to the Les Molliets chair lift rather than the take the telecabine. this also meant we were already more on the Flaine side.

Also the car aloud us a days skiing in Brevent chamonix, a night in chamonix, a day skiing in Argentiere - after which we took the tunnel and had some tea and a few beers in Courmayeur.

unfortunatley crashed and dislocated my shoulder in Flaine, cost a cool £1000 in rescue, hospital, & medication fee's!

had to ski 3 days with one arm! wasnt so bad, just took it easy on greens and blues with a few reds... and the brevent black! luckily didnt fall again.

everywhere was ready for a dusting of new snow when we arrived, then it started on friday afternoon - and i dont think it has stopped yet! incredible.

All in all a tip top great fun action packed few days!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

unfortunatley crashed and dislocated my shoulder in Flaine, cost a cool £1000 in rescue, hospital, & medication fee's!

Stuntman Mike, Sad . Bad luck. Will your insurance pay out?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Stuntman Mike, Sad . Bad luck. Will your insurance pay out?

well thats another story - for the hospital & medication yes, but the rescue no - because i was off piste!

or thats what they are claiming anyway, i was actually on piste when i lost control, i fell and landed about 3 foot outside the piste poles. the rescue sled never left the piste, but when i got the bill, i had an extra charge of about £700 because i was off piste! you try to contest it and explain and they suddenly dont understand english very well, i had no choice but to pay at the time - but i will be taking it further!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That is why carte neige insurance is so good Just pick you up and off to hospital! So they tell me, hope I never find out!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stuntman Mike, sorry to hear about your accident are you sure about the insurance? mine which is nothing special just a family annual one covers off piste as long as its not a closed piste.

out of interest which run were you on ? (call it morbid curiosity).

best wishes to you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ianbradders wrote:
Stuntman Mike, sorry to hear about your accident are you sure about the insurance? mine which is nothing special just a family annual one covers off piste as long as its not a closed piste.

out of interest which run were you on ? (call it morbid curiosity).

best wishes to you.

it was a red, number 3 i think, not sure the name - i was throwing myself off bumps and ledges for fun, then i hit one that was bigger than i thought, so i start windmilling in the air, one ski touches down on some ice, slips from under me then i landed whack on the shoulder.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy