Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is different about a ski helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but after reading other threads about helmets, I have been musing about this. We haven't worn helmets for skiing in the past, but I do have a cupboard of unused cycle/ skate/mountainboard helmets, and wondered if these would do the job? Not the Barbie one of course, but the others are good.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been pondering this also, I do a little bit of power kiting and am looking into landboarding, which will mean getting a helmet. Killing two birds with one stone I'm looking at a radsail helmet, but have not seen one mentioned on this site, does no-one here use one at all for skiing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A helmets a helmet at he end of the day, the variation for each sport apart from allowing a mark up, is the amount of warmth or ventilation it provides, the weight and which areas of the head its protects.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hollyvan, I once (only once) went cycling in my ski helmet, because it was a cold day. Big mistake. I absolutely boiled in it, even with the vents fully open. On a cold day you'd be very chilly in a cycle helmet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks papasmurf (cool name)

I'm off to La Plagne on Saturday, should I buy one in the UK beforehand, or just see what's in resort or even hire one? Hiring sort of goes against the grain for me, as I have riden motorbikes and would never consider renting a crash helmet, but then I know quite a few people hire helmets for their children, so why not for themselves? If it's common practice to hire, well I'm game for that.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski helmet:

Cycle Helmet:
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helmets for different sports such as, rock climbing, cycling, skiing, kayak/canoeing, land boarding and watersports have very marked differences in regard to how they are tested for impacts, especially so if they have a CE mark.

CE marked protective equipment will also have an EN code number/s next to the CE logo. You can look these numbers up and find out what the impact rating, testing and certification is for.

For example, I have a Protec watersports helmet that looks very similar to their ski helmets, but when you check the CE or EN category number the impact ratings and the direction where the impacts are tested from are very different.

All CE marked helmets have been tested and passes as safe in very different ways, there may be some cross over with a small group of helmets, Salewa make a multi sport helemt suitable for cycle, climb and watersports, but they are pretty much the only company that do.

I had a client on a climbing course that turned up with a ski helmet made in full carbon fibre by SWEET. She was very adamant that it was safe for use as climbing, because they told her that in the shop where she bought this expensive lid, however the CE marking showed it clearly wasnt safe or suitable or more imprortantly tested or certified to use as a climbing helmet on a professionally provided and insured course.

In short all CE marked protective equipment is tested for its suitability regarding its end use, wear a cylce helmet if you want but when it doesnt stop that bang on the head dont go blaming the manufacturer for a defective product if you have used it for something it was never designed for.

You only get one skull and one brain, if you are thinking of protecting it with a helmet make sure you check its able to do the job you want it to do.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski helmets are usually insulated for warmth (mine is anyway). Cycle helmets usually have a lot of venting. I reckon I'd freeze wearing my cycle helmet for skiing and it wouldn't fit properly with a decent hat underneath. Buy a ski helmet or don't bother with one at all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It appears that the radsail helmet I am looking at corresponds with the correct safety rating i.e. CE EN 1077, and so will cover both sports.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
EN 443 Fire protection helmets
EN 397 Industrial safety helmets
EN 812 Industrial bump caps
EN 967 Ice hockey helmets
EN 1077 Ski helmets
EN 1078 Bicycle helmets
EN 1080 Impact protection helmets for young children
EN 1384 Equestrian helmets
EN 12492 Climbing and Mountaineering helmets
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just to make this more obvious:

climbing/mountaineering helmet - main purpose is to protect against rocks landing on the top of your head
skiing helmet - main impact likely to be falling into front/side

rather different designs required!

From a protection point of view would have thought cycle and ski helmets need to do similar things but insulation and ventilation isssues are rather different!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hollyvan, Don't do it! Get a proper ski helmet if that is what you want. I think mark handford, puts it rather nicely...
Quote:

You only get one skull and one brain, if you are thinking of protecting it with a helmet make sure you check its able to do the job you want it to do.

Good luck.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Something like this ?
http://www.atbshop.co.uk/productdetails.php?id=789&cat=pro&subcat=39
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree 100% with mark handford, you need a helmet that will offer protection for the injurys that are likely to be sustained in the given sport/ activity. And that is aside from the comfort issues. If any helmet was suitable for any job then I would happily have saved the £100 I just spent on mine and worn the £2.69 BSEN 397 hat I wear when I have to work on building sites.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it's common practice to hire, well I'm game for that.

Indeed, people do rent. I would suggest, however making the purchase as it will possibly cost you 20 pounds or so to rent and you have no history with the helmet i.e. Has somebody taken a massive whack with it and damaged the interior structure?

A decent helmet with the ce1077 mark can cost as little as 40 pounds for adults and 30 pounds for kids.

Is it worth the risk with your young ones in particular renting and not particularly fitting well?
snow report
Quote:

user
Location: hemel hempsteadIf it's common practice to hire, well I'm game for that.

Indeed, people do rent. I would suggest, however making the purchase as it will possibly cost you 20 pounds or so to rent and you have no history with the helmet i.e. Has somebody taken a massive whack with it and damaged the interior structure?

A decent helmet with the ce1077 mark can cost as little as 40 pounds for adults and 30 pounds for kids.

Is it worth the risk with your young ones in particular renting and not particularly fitting well?
ski holidays
Quote:

user
Location: hemel hempsteadIf it's common practice to hire, well I'm game for that.

ski holidays
Quote:

user

snow report
Now that would be a good picture rookt! Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply
latest report
alpinequeen, think you've made your point Wink
I can understand kids renting as they will need a different size every year, so they might only use it for 1 or 2 trips.
snow report
Quote:

FreeRider
I can understand kids renting as they will need a different size every year, so they might only use it for 1 or 2 trips

Not if it's an adjustable helmet. Your head is not a part of the anatomy that grows much after the age of 10 so, i would suggest ecomically and for health and safety resons, you are better off buying
ski holidays
Beequin, that radsail link is exactly the helmet I am looking at. Thoughts? Bearing in mind it's designed for snow kiting as well as kite surfing and land boarding.
latest report
alpinequeen, I think you will find that your head does grow quite a bit from 10yrs old , otherwise all those young kids would look like aliens with massive heads on their shoulders Smile
snow report
johnofthejungle wrote:
Thanks papasmurf (cool name)

I'm off to La Plagne on Saturday, should I buy one in the UK beforehand, or just see what's in resort or even hire one? Hiring sort of goes against the grain for me, as I have riden motorbikes and would never consider renting a crash helmet, but then I know quite a few people hire helmets for their children, so why not for themselves? If it's common practice to hire, well I'm game for that.

like the others have said, buy..then at the very least you're garrented a good fit..no point having a lid if it doesn't fit correctly.

plus they don't cost the earth and probably pay for themselves after a trip or two unless you go crazy and buy a Sweet..

plenty of Skate and DJ lid seem to be certified for skiing aswell
snow report
don't forget, once you have a helmet you need to buy one of these... http://www.pisteheadz.com/index.php?cPath=27_37&osCsid=77m2jt2umu6mfpfic0dbcp6mr6 Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-01-09 16:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
johnofthejungle, I think it looks OK. Not that I'm an expert, but it seems to meet the relevant test and to be adaptable in terms of cold insulation. If you were racing then it would not be suitable (at least for Super-G upwards), but for anything else it seems fine.

Available cheaper elsewhere too, it seems. http://www.extremedreams.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/114_116/products_id/440?osCsid=esoflbsmi60jrguucmkdf9u463
snow conditions
Beequin

your comment about me racing made me chuckle, i'm not exactly streamlined, or have the ability for that - thanks for the thought though. That is a very good price, anyone else bought a helmet off the internet.
ski holidays
Quote:

anyone else bought a helmet off the internet.

I had to try on about 15 before finding one that fitted really snugly - no way would I buy off the internet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

anyone else bought a helmet off the internet.

I did. Found it fine (but I only wear it for two hours at a time on the dry slope).
snow conditions
johnofthejungle, I punted buying a Sweet off the net and it is the best helmet fit I have ever had. Wouldn't advise it though Wink
snow report
Quote:

snowHead
Location: North Walesalpinequeen, I think you will find that your head does grow quite a bit from 10yrs old , otherwise all those young kids would look like aliens with massive heads on their shoulders

The average 10 year olds head size is 54/55cm and an adult 56/58cm. Not massive growth compared to the rest of the body over a generation.

As stated before, if it's adjustable it will easily pay itself off and why not pass it down to a brother/sister if there's one to pass it to! Atleast you know the helmet's history.
latest report
alpinequeen, not like feet then. In that case I agree with you, better to buy a lid
ski holidays
I saw a guy in Val last year wearing a Giro Mad Max for DH MTB racing, not sure why, but he had it custom painted and was on a set of fat (should that be phat) park skis. Seemed a bit overkill to me!
ski holidays
Theres a ski version of the Mad max.

saw some one with a full face motorbike lid commuting to work on a cycle recently...and some old dear wears one on her mobility scooter..makes me chuckle.
snow conditions
I did try a Bell car racing helmet once on my DH MTB, saw the late Jason McRoy trying it, it didn't work, it was so heavy it hurt my neck after a few runs, taught me a lesson though, most kit is designed to do a specific job!

And yeah there's a guy round here I see commuting in a full face, weird, wonder how worried you must be about your teeth to put one of those on!
snow report
I was thinking about helmets and specs earlier this evening and wondered if there was a market for a standard styled ski helmet fitted with a clear perspex half visor just from top to around nose height which could be worn with prescription sunnies, or one fitted with a dark perspex half visor which could be worn with standard spectacles. I wonder whether it would make prescription glasses a more all round option on the slopes regardless of the weather.
ski holidays
ski holidays
Megamum, I am pretty sure I saw some helmets like that in Cyril Sports in Alpe d'Huez recently. Sadly they were all in different national colours! Sorry, can't remember the make.
snow report
http://www.amazon.com/Maplus-Stealth-Helmet-Visor-White/dp/B000KK6HQG?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
alpinequeen, and you can use the lid on the next kid... I reckon 4 years of use for each kids lid.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy