Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots fro intermediate skier......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy me my first pair of ski boots. Can you give me any advice? I'm very unsure on which ones to buy......

I'm a intermediate skier, and am on a slight budget (£130 max - am I wasting my time?)

I've seen two pairs at decathalon I interested in

Salomon Performa Plus (69 pounds)

and

Rossignol Open RSX (109 pounds)

I'm off to Courchevel 1850 on Saturday, would I be best just waiting til I get there and see a proper boot fitter? Will it be cheaper in Courchevel?

Conditions are not looking great there, hoping its not too icy....

Any advice would be appreciated...

Cheers

Dr B
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having just bought a pair of Salomon Ellipse 9s (which, though excellent, are somewhat out of your price range), I would suggest:

1. Do buy your own boots for the following reasons:

a) They are fitted to your feet so you never have to cope with a duff uncomfortable hire pair
b) You jump the queue in the hire shop to get skis whilst everyone else fits their boots
c) You gain consistency in your skiing because you have the same pair each time
d) You will save money in the medium to long term
e) You look like a pro in the lift queues
f) You don´t end up with stinking smelly hire boots

2. Do buy your boots in Courchevel. Most things are cheaper in Europe, and although this is somewhat offset by extortionate prices in resorts, there should be a reasonable amount of competition in somewhere large like Courchevel. The main reason to get them there, however, is that you have an entire week of skiing to tinker with the fit. If they start to hurt, you go back to the shop each day and the experts will advise you on how best to adjust them.

3. Do take the advice of the fitter, and don´t worry too much about pre-conceived ideas of good/cheap brands. It is honestly worth spending a few more quid on a really good pair that will give you comfortable skiing for years, rather than saving a tenner and being uncomfortable.

4. Do invest in proper ski socks. You don´t need to spend the earth, but you need support in the right places.

5. Don´t worry overmuch about stiffness unless you see yourself improving rapidly in your technique. There´s no point going for a really stiff racing performance pair if you´re just going to potter around on blues and reds. That said, if you do enjoy a bit of speed you need to make sure your performance isn´t hampered by naff boots.

Something like the Salomon X-wave 7 might well do the trick, though I´ve heard good reports of Tecnicas... either way, as I say, take the advice of the boot fitter - after all, it is his job! Good luck!

Dom
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi ecxpjb, Welcome to snowHeads, glad yo could drop in.

For reviews of up to date boots, have a look here.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ecxpjb, buy in the resort, and get the ones that fit you best - never mind the brand/colour/size!

Oh, and welcome to snowHeads! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, yeah, but can you pick them up for £130 in Courchaval? I thought it'd just cover a decent bar tab there Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice guys.....

But in my experiance (which I admit is not much), aren't prices much more expensive at resorts? How much would you expect to pay for a reasonable set of boots in a place like Courchevel?

I like the idea of try before you buy at these resorts. But then again, I have never had a problem with the fit on any of the crappy hire boots I have used previously. Is getting the right boots really that important at the intermediate level I ski at?

Thanks again

Dr B
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To pick up dmot's comment about socks, Snow & Rock has technical ski socks for £6.99 per pair, or buy three and get £5 off. Got some a couple of weeks ago, and they're very good - easily as good as the £17 pair I bought from my LSS.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ecxpjb wrote:

I like the idea of try before you buy at these resorts. But then again, I have never had a problem with the fit on any of the crappy hire boots I have used previously. Is getting the right boots really that important at the intermediate level I ski at?

Oh yes. Once you have your own PROPERLY fitted boots, you'll realise why everyone calls thm crappy hire boots. snowHead

A really (no I mean really) good fit makes a huge difference at any level.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with marc Shocked

A properly fitted pair of boots will make a bigger difference to your skiing than any other piece of equipment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again,

I will wait and see what is available in Courchevel, but I hope its not too far out my price range, else I will be spending another week in "crappy hire boots"
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ecxpjb, As a lowish intermediate you are not being unrealistic in looking to buy a pair of boots for around £130 in my view. These will probably be "past season" boots but still for the reasons given above, a big improvement on hire-boots. They will last you 5 years or so and quickly pay for themselves.

On the other hand you are unlikely to pick up boots of this kind in dear old (double meaning intended) Courchevel. I'd suggest having a look at the boots you have found in UK. With the right socks (I can hear Bev snigggering at evidence of one of my obsessions) they might be just the job, and you can still get them fiddled with in resort if there is a problem.

Bev picked up a really nice pair of Technicas for £90 in a sale and got them fitted and fiddled with in Kitz for a modest fee. Could be best of both worlds.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ecxpjb,

I can highly recommend the 'Freeride' store in Courchevel 1650, opposite the Bubble Bar. Two of my friends had long standing boot problems from UK stores finally resolved by them last week. Excellent service & cheap too.

The store also houses the New Generation Ski School office (which I can also highly recommend) & the instructors all get their boots fitted there.

BTW, where are you in Nottingham?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ecxpjb,

Recommend not buying in 1850 as prices are high for the mega rich Russians are the moment. Just jump on the free bus & take the 10 min ride down to 1650.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ecxpjb, echoing Wear The Fox Hat, forget brands, colours and sizes. Your boots choose you, as someone said.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy