Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB advocates helmet use for under-13s

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard wrote:
I revise my opinion - it's abysmal.

Laughing Laughing I must admit that I shut my eyes to the rubbishy padding (size of dead woman's family, interview) and had concentrated on the technical comments.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard wrote:
espri, I didn't say it was biased, I said it was badly written.

I've just read it again, and I revise my opinion - it's abysmal.

agree but I think it has been written that way deliberately... the site's using language translation software (click country flags top right) and I'm guessing that the punchy style is to help make the resulting translations read better. All matters not because I can't imagine the site gets very much traffic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The story was big new in Theuringen where I spend a lot of my time, Dieter Althaus is the state president and it was him in this skiing accident. It's because of his status that it's such big news. This article http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/650/453342/text/ in the Suedeutssche (if you read German) is more pragmatic and sensible after the initial "helmet" hype.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think we (inc me) have been a bit hard on ben.clatworthy, who I believe is a 16 year old aspirant racer and journalist. He wasn't to know that his first post was on such a frequently discussed "touchy" subject. Good luck in achieving both and I hope you aren't put off visiting snowheads.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, perhaps we've been hard - but hopefully Ben has learnt to research his audience and the subject matter thoroughly before making strong claims.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And the Independent takes up the theme too
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/the-big-question-is-skiing-now-so-dangerous-that-speed-limits-should-be-imposed-1366586.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It appears quite plain to me that the overall risk of suffering a head injury whilst skiing is low, so wearing a helmet should be a personal choice. The FIS has decreed that all racers must wear a helmet for no apparent reason - does anyone remember a slalom skier suffering a fractured skull?

Having said that, I would never ride a horse or motorbike without a lid but I don't wear one on a bicycle.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The FIS has decreed that all racers must wear a helmet for no apparent reason - does anyone remember a slalom skier suffering a fractured skull?

Slalom skiers frequently collide with gate poles and faster races can easily result in head hitting icy piste, so I have no quibbles with this rule at all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beequin, Stenmark used to hit wooden poles with less padding than is used now and he wore a bobble hat. Like I said, there is no apparent reason for slalom skiers to wear helmets - do you remember one getting a fractured skull?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gordyjh, I've had a pole in the eye and there was concern that I'd fractured my eye-socket. Irrespective of whether any slalom racers have had fractured skulls, getting a pole in the face f****** hurts - even at the speeds I go. Anyone willingly racing down a slalom course (and as other disciplines are faster, it would apply in their case even more) without a helmet is a complete moron, and the sooner they succumb to Darwinian selection the better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Without wishing in any way to be facetious - simply not my style - it's interesting to note various age-related issues at the Club:

1. Helmets advocated: to age 13
2. 'Coming of age' for offspring within SCGB family membership: age 24 (used to be 18)
3. £20 membership: up to age 24
4. Eligible age to become a SCGB rep: age 21 to 60 (used to be 50)
5. Retirement age of SCGB reps: Not stated. Presumably if you can qualify at 60, you can crack on for a good few years.
6. 'Peak Experience' ski holidays: age 50+. "Members aged over 62 years will be required to join trips in this category".

I'm keen to see the Club adopt a policy on the minimum age of criminal responsibility. I understand that "65" is mooted.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 15-01-09 16:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, at what age do you get banned friom their forum?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've very little data on which to comment on that. One method of finding out would be to join and experiment, in a responsible fashion.

My most recent recollection is that all members of the SCGB Council and staff are banned from posting on the Club's forum, with the exception of the magazine editor (who is a good age). I don't know the ages of SCGB staff and officials, but as far as I know they're all over 13.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
back on topic a little............ I hear rumour that it has been discussed at ESF National level that all ESF instructors will wear helmets to set a good example but that when voted at regional level it gets over ruled.

Only a matter of time methinks!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well one can imagine all those male ESF instructors bragging about how many times they've had them polished..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well I know that at the British Champs everyone that competes has to wear a helmet - whatever the FIS rules are...
snow conditions
ben.clatworthy, I believe all FIS racers must wear helmets. They are are an advertising opportunity.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:

1. Helmets advocated: to age 13

to put it in correct context "and for adults it's at their own discretion". To me they're just implying that 14 is the age at which you are able to make your own choice. Nothing to do with physical anatomy.
snow report
Well I am a FIS racer and have been at racers when people have intended to race without a helmet and then been pulled.
snow report
uktrailmonster, you're quite right that the full sentence is "Here at the Ski Club we advocate helmet use for the under 13s, and for adults it's at their own discretion."

As a one-time equipment writer for a magazine called Skateboard! (where helmets were an obvious issue) we left it to teenagers to take their own decisions on helmets. And these were readers with their heads sometimes several metres above solid concrete.

I was simply bemused that my club classes a 14-year-old as an adult in this context, but in the context of a family membership a 23-year-old is classed as a continuing dependant (in effect).
snow conditions
GrahamN,
Quote:

I've had a pole in the eye and there was concern that I'd fractured my eye-socket. Irrespective of whether any slalom racers have had fractured skulls, getting a pole in the face f****** hurts - even at the speeds I go. Anyone willingly racing down a slalom course (and as other disciplines are faster, it would apply in their case even more) without a helmet is a complete moron, and the sooner they succumb to Darwinian selection the better

So I'd be fairly certain you would CHOOSE to wear a helmet, others may not want to. I notice that no-one has yet come up with an instance of a slalom-skier doing a Jack.
snow report
David Goldsmith, if you had made it clear in the first place that you just wanted another chance to drone on about family memberships of the Saga Ski Club, the rest of us could have known not to waste our time reading this rubbish. Have a bit of consideration.
latest report
"Informed comment" rather than "rubbish", please.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:

I was simply bemused that my club classes a 14-year-old as an adult in this context, but in the context of a family membership a 23-year-old is classed as a continuing dependant (in effect).

Sorry I mistook it for a thinly disguised helmet rant. As you were Wink
latest report
Wearing of a helmet will remain compulsory for my daughter (13 this month) whilst I am paying to take her and I think it's sensible. I do set an example by wearing one too.
snow conditions
Gordyjh,

Quote:

So I'd be fairly certain you would CHOOSE to wear a helmet, others may not want to. I notice that no-one has yet come up with an instance of a slalom-skier doing a Jack.

I am surprised you feel that a broken skull is the only head injury worth protecting against. Brain damage can occur without it.
latest report
Gordyjh wrote:
beequin, Stenmark used to hit wooden poles with less padding than is used now and he wore a bobble hat. Like I said, there is no apparent reason for slalom skiers to wear helmets - do you remember one getting a fractured skull?

Do you know any slalom racers who object to wearing a helmet today?
Is a fractured skull the only thing you wish to protect yourself from?

It used to be considered acceptable to race an F1 car with zero crash protection, no seatbelt and a leather cap to keep your hair in place. Ok, they did frequently die in crashes as a direct result, so not quite the same league. But times change, safety standards improve. If I was slalom racing, I'd want to wear a helmet for protection against minor knocks at the very least. Why wouldn't you?
ski holidays
Well as i said I am a FIS racer and I am always hitting my head on slalom gates!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
uktrailmonster, you're quite right that the full sentence is "Here at the Ski Club we advocate helmet use for the under 13s, and for adults it's at their own discretion."

As a one-time equipment writer for a magazine called Skateboard! (where helmets were an obvious issue) we left it to teenagers to take their own decisions on helmets. And these were readers with their heads sometimes several metres above solid concrete.

So although you could see the obvious dangers involved, you and your magazine were too gutless to take a lead on safety. Was this because you didn't want to appear uncool and preachy to youngsters? Clearly that would have been a case of sales verses safety. A truly pathetic and morally bankrupt position.
snow report
PJSki wrote:
Was this because you didn't want to appear uncool and preachy to youngsters? Clearly that would have been a case of sales verses safety. A truly pathetic and morally bankrupt position.

Probably (we were really cool and non-preachy) but there's plenty of money in helmets and helmet advertising. Our readers were generally over 13.
ski holidays
To be less flippant (and 30 years on from the heady (sic) says of skateboarding in the late 70s), I think you're probably right that any sports magazine can usefully include safety tips. It's for democratically-elected governments to make safety laws. And primarily for parents (or those in loco parentis) to keep an eye on their kids' safety.
latest report
David Goldsmith, did you review helmets back then?
ski holidays
Yes, we did. Because skateboarding boomed so rapidly at the time and had not created its own head protection, ice hockey helmet manufacturers were quick to cater for the demand. Their helmets were considered the most suitable.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, check this out: http://www.rawk.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.asp?fdShopProductId=13166&fdShopCategoryId=13486

Notice the cost of the helmets! Construction looks very similar to a skiing one. Skiing ones seem overpriced by comparison.
ski holidays
PJSki, I think they are - from time to time Lidl sell ski helmets. IIRC they conform to CE specifications, and are a fraction of the price of helmets sold in sports shops. It's a bit like walking and ski jackets. If a jacket's sold for walking it's one price - call it for skiing, and the retail price rises a whole bunch.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 18-01-09 14:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
achilles, CE specs are not particularly difficult to achieve. Some of the better helmets far exceed minimum legal regulations and are often lighter/more comfortable to wear. Not saying the Lidl helmets are rubbish, but not all CE approved helmets provide the same protection/comfort/ventilation etc.
snow report
Try working with a class of 10 kids and then see if you think they should be wearing helmets or not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy