Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wrongly spelled name on airline ticket

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Norway with my GF and some friends on Sunday.

Having received the flight tickets from the TO (Neilson) yesterday, I spotted that they have managed to get two letters wrong in my girlfriend's first name ... Confused

I rang Neilson and poined-out the mistake - they accepted that it was an error on their part, but said that the ticket would be fine to fly on and that they had "added a note to the airline's system".

My question is: should I be worried?

I always understood the names on the ticket / passport had to be identical .... and as we check-in at 5.30am in the morning, it ain't going to be easy to get problems sorted should there be an issue with the ticket.

(If it makes a difference, we're on a scheduled flight with SAS from Heathrow)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, Friend of mine, a bloke, first name Sukie, wasn't allowed to fly with a ticket that called him Susie - that was BA from H'row...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A 'note to the airline' is slim comfort when the eagle-eyed security bloke spots the discrepancy and reaches for the vaseline.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abj,
I don't know the answer but I would phone the airline directly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abj, I would be insisting on a new ticket, if only because of the time you are travelling making it almost impossible to get Neilson on the phone if you do encounter problems.

There is every chance it might be fine, I have travelled with this kind of error before, but obviously red 27's post suggests it is not guaranteed.

D
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To be safe get the TO to reissue the ticket at their expense.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, dunno how SAS operate but Mrs Axs and I showed up at an easyjet counter with two tickets last year, both in MY name! Embarassed

It was my fault as I'd allowed the autofill function on the web browser to enter my details and hadn't noticed that they'd been used for both of us.

The check in girl spotted the error and initially wanted to charge us for making the name change. I argued that the mistake was so obvious, that only a complete idiot would have entered his own name twice, so clearly it must be a computer glitch in their system. She bought it, and let us on for no additional charge Laughing

I would guess you'l' be fine, might be worth getting them to email you confirmation that the mistake was theirs to be sure though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get a new ticket !!!! I was refused to check-in as my middle name was on the ticket and not my first name !!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman wrote:
abj, I argued that the mistake was so obvious, that only a complete idiot would have entered his own name twice, so clearly it must be a computer glitch in their system. She bought it, and let us on for no additional charge Laughing .

If only she knew you like we do wink Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would be very, very wary.

I suggest you try to get Neilson to accept IN WRITING that it is their error and of what they have advised you to do. Be firm if you need to. At the airport at the start of your holiday is no place for an argument.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would get it changed before you go - they can issue a ticket on departure. If, as you say, Neilson have made the mistake, they should meet the cost and should not charge you a ticket on departure charge.

I would definitely insist on NOT travelling with the "wrong" details and would not be happy with just a "note" on the airline system - I would insist on ticket on departure. Airlines are increasingly sticky about these kind of things.

Its nothing to do with the airline - you have to contact Neilson as they made the booking.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Yes I think Mrs Axs's giggle at that point nearly gave the game away! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wanna buy a passport to match the ticket Madeye-Smiley ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jeraff, Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After speaking to two (not very helpful) Neilson chaps yesterday, I did end-up speaking to the reservations manager who has emailed me saying that the ticket would be okay to fly on. So I do have it in writing from Neilson.

However, based on previous experience with TO's, this doesn't make me feel a whole lot happier.

I think I'll ring Neilson again. Sad
snow report
As it's a schedule flight with SAS, you should be able to log into the SAS website with your booking reference and check the name on the booking.

Are you sure what you have is a real ticket, and not an e-ticket? If it's an e-ticket all that matters is the name on the computer - you don't need anything to check in apart from your passport.
ski holidays
abj, it sounds to me rather as if your tour operator (sorry, I haven't payed attention to which particular tour operator it is) is doing the bare minimum they possibly can, and gambling on the likelihood that you'll simply accept their substandard customer service uncomplainingly and get away with it. Which you might. But you might not, and nobody enjoys the sound of a rubber glove being snapped enthusiastically onto a wide burly hand. Actually, some Germans probably do.

Insist that the ticket is reissued.
latest report
Quote:

As it's a schedule flight with SAS, you should be able to log into the SAS website with your booking reference and check the name on the booking.

Just checked ... and the name is definitely spelt wrongly.
snow report
I didn't know airlines still wored with paper tickets. Isn't is all e-tickets these days?
snow report
rob@rar, yep it's an e-ticket. But, the name has been incorrectly spelt on the SAS system.

I've logged in to check it, but the website won't allow me to alter the name on-line, and Neilson seem unwilling/unable to correct their mistake....

... sooooo annoying.

I've travelled with Neilson on quite a few occassions over the last 5/6 years ... but (based on my experience) their admin / customer service has definitely gone downhill over the last couple of years
ski holidays
abj, could you contact the airline (NOT the TO) explain the situation and get confirmation from them in writing, that they will allow you to fly?

just a thought. snowHead
snow report
Hmm, I noticed my tickets from Thomson/Neilson had a spelling mistake on them when they arrived last week (a name spelt with one n, not double). I best get on to them, as I had assumed they would overlook it as it's such an obvious spelling mistake!
snow conditions
Axsman, yep had thought about that ... but knowing airlines, they'll probably want to charge me to change the name.

I've spoken again with Neilson - who are now "looking into" changing the name.
snow conditions
There's no 'looking into' involved. It's a 5 minute phone call and a small admin fee.

They'll have done it by now, unless they've just dismissively brushed you off and gone to the pub.
snow conditions
Quote:

There's no 'looking into' involved. It's a 5 minute phone call and a small admin fee.

They'll have done it by now, unless they've just dismissively brushed you off and gone to the pub

Agreed ... I really don't understand what the issue is to be honest Puzzled

It's a real shame about Neilson ... the first couple of times I travelled with them their admin/service was spot on. Maybe it's something to do with being bought-out by Thomas Cook (who, personally, I would never choose to travel with).

I travelled with Neilson to Austria over Xmas ... and that was another catalogue of errors (but that story ids for my resort review - when I get round to doing it!)
snow conditions
Get the name changed on the e-ticket. Neilson's error and their problem .. it isn't 'fine'. Response is unacceptable ..
ski holidays
I had same problem a couple of years ago. My initial was wrong and only realised at check-in. BA just reissued the ticket there and then no problem. If it were Easyjet I would say you would at least have to pay something but if it's a scheduled airline as you say then I think you "may" be ok.
snow report
Let's hope the tour operator in question never branches out into the tattooing industry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Sounds like it's luck of the draw. I booked some tickets for me and the wife using my surname but my wife's passport and driving license are not in my name (I just forgot). No-one batted an eye-lid at any stage of the check-in or security process. This was from Stanstead I think
snow report
Quote:

two letters wrong in my girlfriend's first name

Dont the airlines still only check in using the surname - i.e. Other, A.N or Bloggs, F

I've always believed this is how they do it..... Best be checking my tickets then!!
snow conditions
Hi ABJ

I'm Pip Tyler from Neilson - I joined 'snowheads' a couple of days ago and have just noticed your query.

There was a mistake on the 1st name of your GF and I can confirm that we have contacted SAS about the error and they have put a note on their system to alert their check in staff. So you will have no problems checking in.

It's not that easy reissuing an 'e-ticket' - SAS have to cancel the 'old' ticket then we can rebook a 'new' one on our system here - so we're waiting for SAS to do their bit - then we can do ours and ping you a new E-ticket.

I understand that Tina has pinged you an email to say that there's no problem with it but if it makes you feel more comfortable we're on the case.

You don't say where you're off to - but I have to say I'm a big fan of scandy skiing - stock up the duty frees at LHR as booze can be pricey - but having just come back from Tignes where a pint was 7 euros in some places - Norway starts to look more sensible!
latest report
I've got away with my name spelled Claire instead of Clare before, but I think anything worse than that you should insist on getting new tickets re-issued...
snow conditions
PipT, ... then you will also 'know' that the notes field has no part of any agreement with an airline . Dependent upon where the pax checks in and the DCS system available at that airport they may not even be visible to the check-in agent at all, and eagle-eyed security are not those of the airline anyways.

Not giving you a hard time .. fun around here isnt it? wink
snow report
At least you have tickets! We're flying on saturday and our tickets still havnt arrived!!
latest report
Thanks for the info 'agenterre' - SAS have assured us all is OK and we have no reason to see why they would lie to us - but we are issuing new E-tickets to give the passenger comfort - and they'll be with them well before the weekend.

Peter Griffin - ping your booking ref to sales@neilson.com for my attention and I'll get someone on the case ASAP for you
latest report
PipT, It's an IATA requirement that names should be exactly the same as on ID papers ( passports in the case of us Brits).

There was a time when airlines were fussy because it was a method of dodgy agents 'buying' tickets and then selling on at a higher price but now is purely a matter of security. Onus is upon the airline to get it right as they are held responsible for re-patriation of anyone denied entry into any country ... I agree for a minor name change 'so what' but then again I'm not an immigration officer/security officer/ homeland security etc.
snow report
I have to say that (despite all the discussion on the other thread) PipT is very professional and quick. Someone said that the better companies are defined on how they react when things don't go perfectly according to plan, so well done.

I hope he comes to enjoy snowheads rather than having to reply only to queries, feedback etc.

That said, the fact that forum members can freely discuss negative and positive experiences with various travel and ski-related businesses is invaluable.
ski holidays
Agenterre, that's interesting, because apart from check-in staff, who do check, nobody else in the chain seems to check both items together, at least for travel within Europe. I'm confused!

Security ask for boarding pass but not passport, passport control want passport only (and it's more of a glance), gate checks are both, but it's a glance at the passport whilst the card is going through the machine (not a comparison), and immigration at the other side check passports only. Apart from countries with strict visa and exit date requirements, I don't see where else in the chain it would be noticed other than check-in?

Obviously you work or have worked in the industry, so I am sure I must just be wrong, - I am not arguing with you, I'm just confused!

D
snow report
understand that Agentere - these are e-tickets - so the boarding card would be printed with the correct name - security aren't interested in tickets - just boarding cards and passports. Anyway debate over we're pinging a new ticket when SAS give us the nod - at our cost because it's our mistake!

Snowheads is a great place - but don't rely on it for answering queries related to bookings. It's difficult to discuss specifics on a public forum and there's no guarantee it'll get picked up by those who can make things happen. Always contact your agent or the tour operator as soon as you spot a mistake - and always double check your confirmations and tickets as mistakes do happen - but can be easily corrected given time.

Changing the subject - anyone heard of the new 'snowoasis' that they're building in Suffolk somewhere?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy