Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

picturesque resort in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am going to Austria soon and was thinking of either Mayrhofen or St Anton, but my Mum is coming along and she doesn't want to ski, she just wants somewhere thats looks nice (!)

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any pretty resorts where my Mum can have a look around while I am on the piste?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about Innsbruck itself? Great little city, lots more to do than in a ski resort. Coach trip to Salzburg is doable for all her Sound Of Music/Mozart fantasy needs, plus she could visit the literally bonkers Swarowski museum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbuhel is pretty and has lots of skiing. Lech is also picturesque but is quite expensive.

As per paulio, Innsbruck itself is a great little city, my favourite in Europe so far, although you wouldn't feel as much like you were in a ski resort.

There are a lot of resorts that are pretty but might still not have a great deal to do if not skiing, but there are also plenty of options with other activities.

Not pimping as we have no availability this winter anyway, but Zell Am See is really pretty hard to beat for picturesque, with the lake etc. plus other activities to do as well. The skiing is more limited though, just in terms of actual miles of km, it's quite varied in terrain, although we often do a couple of days at Saalbach-Hinterglemm as well so plenty of variety.

D
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deliaskis, have you been to the quite literally bonkers Swarowski museum?

It's quite literally bonkers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, I am now feeling a bit inadequate as I really haven't, but I will now be going on Tuesday as I am fond of things that are quite literally bonkers.

I can imagine it though, Swarovski stuff in the UK is usually quite tasteful but I have seen some quite literally bonkers Swarovski things in otherwise unremarkable small shops in Austria,...life size Swarovski marmot anybody?

D
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jools182, St Anton is fairly pretty and quite a lot to do there - great sports centre with outdoor pool, climbing wall, indoor tennis etc - whether it would be enough to keep your mum happy for a week is another matter?? It is only an hour from Innsbruck by train - around 3 to Salzburg. You would love the skiing and apres around St Anton. Lech is definitely prettier and is a 20 min or so bus ride away. Dare I ask how old your mum is? St Anton and Oberlech vie for my favourite ski resorts but St Anton is not everyone's cup of tea (not many though).
St Anton and Mayrhofen are as pretty as each other but there are prettier Austrian resorts.

If you're going around 1st week in March to St Anton and your mum is bored she could babysit for my 3 kids and my brother in laws 3 kids whilst we all enjoy the apres Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Deliaskis, it wasn't necessarily a recommendation, but I hope you enjoy yourself Very Happy

(I did, to my complete surprise).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, recommendation or not, I am going in the interests of research as to just how quite literally bonkers some Austrian museums are. After my visits to Vienna where we were frequently invited to visit a range of museums in Vienna that can only be described as Very odd Indeed, for example the museum of electropathology, and the museum of esperanto (they're still all kind of really despondently disappointed there) for example, I feel I am perfectly qualified for the task.

Seriously though, surreal doesn't come close.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jools182, Kitzbuhel would be a good choice as there is plenty to see for a non-skier and Salzburg is a good day trip on the train. Plus non-skiers can go up in the gondola to the top and she could meet you in the restaurant.

Or Bad Gastein (although hilly) would be good as the outdoor spa is massive. Again you could spend a day in Salzburg via the train.

Zell am See would also be a good place.

Mayrhofen is a reasonable size and is quite pretty but there are better places for non-skiers and skiers to combine a holiday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jools182, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

My non-skiing parents have done Zell am See and Kitzbuhel and liked them both.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for the replies

My Mum is in her late fifties and is into hiking

She has always wanted to go on a winter holiday, I keep trying to convince her to have some ski lessons but she says she is too old rolling eyes

I'll be getting to the travel agents this week, hopefully they can find us something in oneof the resorts you have suggested

I am taking my board, but may do some ski lessons too as I used to ski years ago, I'll see if I can drag her along Little Angel

If anyones up for a bit of apres I'll be more than happy to buy you a beer, don't think I'll get my Mum in the bars for the nail game
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jools182, it's never too late. We have friends who took up skiing in their late fifties and are totally hooked!

In any case, hopefully there are some options above that suit both your needs and your mum's.

Just noticed your location is High Peak, do you mean as in Buxton area? I'm just over the hill near Macclesfield [waves].

D
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New Mills, not too far away Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jools182, If your mum is wanting to do any hiking it is probably worth looking at the web sites of the resorts to see how many cleared trails they have for walking as the snow makes general wandering more difficult. Swiss resorts are often very good inthis respect. If your mother likes hiking the alternative suggestions would be to try snow shoeing or x-country skiing. Sitting around some resorts however pretty can pall a bit if you are wanting to be active.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jools182, my mum is a bit older than yours - she joined us for a week in winter a couple of yours ago and although she didn't do downhill skiing she took to cross-country skiing and also did snow-shoe walking and tobogganing...
snow report
jools182, Bad Gastein should be a good option as Hayls mentioned above. Your Mum can spend some time in the spa in Bad Gastein and also Bad Hofgastein. When I head out there, I always take a day out to go to the spas. Also, there's plenty of snow shoe walking or cross country skiing to be done if she doesn't fancy downhill.

Have fun wherever you go!

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
Some really nice winter pathways around Lech, so if you did go to St Anton, your mum would be catered for
ski holidays
I would recommend Bad Hofgastein (didnt get to Bad Gastein so cant comment on it) The Alpen Therme is great for non skiers and there are nice walks although I was skiing not walking myself!

We stayed in the Impuls Tirol in Bad Hof which has its own spa and great food - nice for non skiers also you could take the train to Salzburg as it is on the line.
snow conditions
Thanks for all your advice

turns out we didn't have that much choice as we have left it until the last minute

ended up in Mayrhofen on the 24th Jan

anyone else going?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy